What's new

Combo List - Kotal Kahn Kahnbos for Kotal. How to punch gooder and Kotal your way to greatness. (Under construction)

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
A piece of me loves you. A larger piece of me hopes you stub your toe.

Yes, I will update it, just like I said when I replied to you PM. In the meantime, you can simply skim through the last couple pages for the information you're looking for. Since the thread was recreated, none of the information is outdated and you don't have to climb through 20 pages of gibberish to find something relevant.

To be fair though, yes, I do need to update the thread, its been a combination of being busy and when not busy, lazy, but I will get it updated *tonight*.

Forbidden_Donut

"You think you bad? Pffft, You ain't bad.."
I typically just follow it with an f2 x b14 x Choke. You can fit in a second F2, but the timing is pretty tight so I don't both with it online. I dont know how optimal this is, 33/36/40% depending on Choke lv - but its reliable and I usually choose reliable over perfect.

If you prefer B12 instead of B14 you lose about a % across the board. 32/35/39
Ok perfect, that's pretty much what I've been doing and I'm 100% with you on reliability over a few percent extra damage. Thanks for the help

EntropicByDesign

Yeah, what I see preached so heavily is max damage, every single %, but when you watch a lot of pros play, I see them leaning on what's reliable, even in offline situations. A good example would be Alucard , just this past weekend, he was using b12 links mid combo quite often.

Thats just my opinion, and I always strive to perfect my damage, but until I can 100% without thinking about it , nail the %-optimal combos, I stick to the closest thing to them that I can land in my sleep. I can almost 10/10 Kotals typical f2 and 114 midscreen combos literally with my eyes closed, using b12. But I'm working on that level of consistency with b14 in f2 combos. It's so damn hard, in the middle of a match to slow down and wait, and b14 requires that. I don't find it tricky or hard exactly, but since you have to wait for them to fall so low , I just find the waiting counter-intuitive.

mattnin

Noob
If we are talking about optimal reliability, 21 link is even more reliable than b12 for the same damage. I think the reason so many people use b12 is because most Kotals are just so conditioned to using b1 for almost everything. 21 has a larger and higher hitbox on the initial hit than b12. So if a Kotal is really off game or lag is bad or whatever the case may be and you must guarantee a linker, 21 is even easier than b12. I use b14 almost exclusively however there are times I'm just off my game and just not linking combos very well so I start using 21 which requires almost no timing.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
the only downside on 21 is that kotal doesn't move forward until the second strike so some wonkier kombos might whiff, but overall yeah 21 is more consistent. Hell there are some combos that if you put b12 in too fast you whiff the second hit because you pass right under the opponent, so even then 21 is probably still a safer bet. I think the conditioning of wanting to be able to convert into choke on any time you hit them (because 21 on hit on a standing opponent will whiff the grab) is the primary reason most people abuse that string so much.

as far as damage vs execution reliability goes, we might want to consider advantageous positioning as well. I have seen Mr.Aquaman when using blood god do relatively low damage combos, end them early or use an odd ender for better positioning and advantage.

E

Eldriken

So, is f1b2~df2 the only way to consistently land the df2 as the ender for any combo? When I try it with anything else, it always whiffs. >_>

Just making sure because I'm working on War God.

EntropicByDesign

Updating now. Will also add a section to link videos folks have posted. Currently trying to figure out how to format all this, there is SO much information, its difficult to parse it all reasonably.

I hope this is ok with everyone, but I will very likely be lumping credit together. Ie, instead of separating lists by who submitted them, or having to tag each individual combo, I will just have all names of those who submitted lumped together. If this is some terrible issue, let me know and we will work something out.

I do want to apologize to the community for the tardiness of my update. I have sat down, prior to this, at least half a dozen times, only to have something come up and pull me away right as I was starting.

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
Updating now. Will also add a section to link videos folks have posted. Currently trying to figure out how to format all this, there is SO much information, its difficult to parse it all reasonably.

I hope this is ok with everyone, but I will very likely be lumping credit together. Ie, instead of separating lists by who submitted them, or having to tag each individual combo, I will just have all names of those who submitted lumped together. If this is some terrible issue, let me know and we will work something out.

I do want to apologize to the community for the tardiness of my update. I have sat down, prior to this, at least half a dozen times, only to have something come up and pull me away right as I was starting.
It's okay man, please include my ultimate one bar midscreen combo.

EntropicByDesign

Ok, OP should be updated. I'm sure I missed a thing or two, but I should have the core stuff there as we continue to flesh this out.

I added many submitted combos, if you dont see one you submitted and you think it should be there, let me know. I likely didnt snub you, just missed it or forgot to include it. As per @Qwark28 's suggestion, I removed the section about meterless damage not being a goal from Sun God. I added a section for videos, its just thrown together for now, as we get more videos I will format it more properly and add descriptions and make it make sense.

Now, about the videos, are there any high level players out there interested in putting together a Kotal video? I would love to set something up with a tournament player or someone like that, where we talk about Kotal in general, his variations, where he fits in the meta, then perhaps transition to a few minutes with each variation where you showcase combos you prefer, setups, optimal reactions to certain situations, etc. Essentially, what I envision is an introduction to Kotal and his variations from a competitive perspective. Not exactly a guide, but similar to one. Something a new player (or seasoned player wanting to learn to play as Kotal or against him) could watch to get a solid idea of just who Kotal is, what is gameplans are in each variation and a handful of the most important stuff to learn as far as combos, setups, etc. Perhaps go over important normals and strings, and so on.

I would also like to extend this invitation to any GM Sub Zero players who might be willing to help with a how-to video for the SG/BNG vs GM MU, which is one of our worst. This isnt a huge priority, but I would like to do it.

Now, I am not a good enough player to make the video by myself. I can showcase combos and blab about Kotal, but what I have to say isn't going to have the insight and depth of a high level player. An alternative would be putting together a general script though, if a player isnt interested in having to sit through an entire taping session and then perform tricks on command, I could get your thoughts on various things (id put together a question list) then I could solo film the video, using the information I gathered from you. @Madzin @Mr Aquaman @Alucard (is this the right Alucard? Sorry if its not, lol)

+@ Anyone else I cant think of because my brain is fried at the moment.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
I have a challenge combo thread on reddit and nobody has posted any sun god combos, imma steal your section from op. These baby sun gods need somewhere to start.

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate
For air-to-air conversions, jump back 1 also works.

i.e. JB 1, f+2, f+2, b+1,4 > SGC (or EX Air Throw, b+1,2 > SGC if you're really wanting to swag out)

example is at 1:39:40

Redux

Ex Phase
For sun god anyone that's having trouble landing the 114 consistently in this 1 bar corner combo ( b122/b14 xx (ex)df3, d1, 114, db2 ) you can do b122 instead for an easier link and same damage (45/46%). It will always connect if you start with b14,but off the b122 starter the command grab may whiff because of the extra gravity/hurtbox due to using b122 twice. Against female characters especially I might do b14 off the b122 starter for consistency.

Last edited:
For f2, f2, f2, b14 xx (ex)df1, b14 xx db2, can anyone tell me how to do the 3x F2 on female characters? it whiffs everytime when trying to connect the second time...

F2 F2 1 F2 etc.... The standing 1 makes the combo 10x easier and results in the same damage. Also I do this combo on the whole cast.

So, is f1b2~df2 the only way to consistently land the df2 as the ender for any combo? When I try it with anything else, it always whiffs. >_>

Just making sure because I'm working on War God.
That's right midscreen, you have to end with f1b2 to connect with df2. You can end your combos with 114~df2 in the corner in order to get a bit more damage though.

mkl

Poopbutt.

Just a quick njp combo I was fucking around with. This is totally hit confirmable (albeit you don't already have a totem down). It gives you about 10% more damage than most other njp bnbs for the same bar. I might go back and see if there's any more optimization but it's already pretty good.

^ Not sure which 48% you mean but 114xxDF1(ex),F2,B122xxDB2(lvl3) is 48% and connects on Goro , just gotta hit B122 whens hes fairly high.

Noticed there were not many AA options so i put together this quick video (Sun God)

Meterless:

D1 (or S1), F2,S1,F2,B14xxDB2 = 30/32/35%
B1,S1,F2,B14xxDB2 = 26/29/32%
D3,S1,F2,B14xxDB2 = 25/28/31%

1 Bar:

D1 (or S1), F2,S1,F2,B14xxDF1(ex), B14xxDB2 = 40/42/45%
B1,B14xxDF1(ex), F2,B14xxDB2 = 39/42/45%
D3,S1,F2,B14xxDF1(ex), B1xxDB2 = 37/39/42%
DF1(ex), F2,S1,F2,B14xxDB2 = 39/42/45%
JB1,F2,F2,S1,F2,B14xxDF1(ex), B14xxDB2 = 41/43/45%

Last edited:

EntropicByDesign

^ Not sure which 48% you mean but 114xxDF1(ex),F2,B122xxDB2(lvl3) is 48% and connects on Goro , just gotta hit B122 whens hes fairly high.

Notice there wasnt many AA options so i put together this quick video (Sun God)

Meterless:

D1 (or S1), F2,S1,F2,B14xxDB2 = 30/32/35%
B1,S1,F2,B14xxDB2 = 26/29/32%
D3,S1,F2,B14xxDB2 = 25/28/31%

1 Bar:

D1 (or S1), F2,S1,F2,B14xxDF1(ex), B14xxDB2 = 40/42/45%
B1,B14xxDF1(ex), F2,B14xxDB2 = 39/42/45%
D3,S1,F2,B14xxDF1(ex), B1xxDB2 = 37/39/42%
DF1(ex), F2,S1,F2,B14xxDB2 = 39/42/45%
JB1,F2,F2,S1,F2,B14xxDF1(ex), B14xxDB2 = 41/43/45%

Nice! I'll get them added to the OP asap.

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate

Just a quick njp combo I was fucking around with. This is totally hit confirmable (albeit you don't already have a totem down). It gives you about 10% more damage than most other njp bnbs for the same bar. I might go back and see if there's any more optimization but it's already pretty good.
I stole this concept from you since Sun God could use it to gain meter or heal mid combo. Thanks!! :D