What's new

Kabal Guide Feedback

KABAL:

BEST NORMALS:
*:l+:fp:bp:fpHIT LEVEL:M,M,M - 3 hit launcher string. safe on block.

*:fp:fp:fpHIT LEVEL:H,M,M - safe 3 hit string that grants a safe jump on hit.

*:fp:fp:l+:bkHIT LEVEL:H,M,L - 3 hit string used for a 50/50 set up.

*:l+:bkHIT LEVEL:M - safe VERY fast sweep.

*:bkHIT LEVEL:M - safe roundhouse.

SPECIALS:
*Fireball:)l:l+:fp)HIT LEVEL:H - safe fireball. can also be done in air. ground fireball punished by combo on block up close.

*Dash:)l:r:bk)HIT LEVEL:M - classic spin slowed down from UMK3. on hit grants a combo, on block punished by combo of choice, can be canceled by tapping :l:l

*Saw Blade:)l:l+:fk)HIT LEVEL: L - low projectile attack that causes a knockdown. safe on block from range. punished by full combo at close range.

*Tornado Slam:)d:l+:bp)HIT LEVEL:M(overhead) - safe command throw.

:en MOVES:
*:en Fireball:)l:l+:fp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M - mid hitting more damaging version of the standard fireball. can also be done in air. ground fireball punished by combo on block up close.

*:en Dash:)l:r:bk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M - faster version of standard spin and has 1 hit of armor during its opening frames. CANNOT be canceled with :l:l like standard dash, must be canceled with :l:blk. punished by full combo.

*:en Saw Blade:)l:l+:fk+:blk)HIT LEVEL: L,L - double low projectile. punished by full combo at close range.

*:en Tornado Slam:)d:l+:bp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M(overhead) - more damaging version of standard command throw. safe on block.

STRATEGY:

Fireball/Air Fireball:
while the ground fireball is ok to us here and there, Kabal mainly uses his instant air fireball. there is a spot where you can place the instant air fireball where it becomes ambiguous and the opponent cannot tell if its anti air fireball which will hit them trying to jump over a lower more low to the ground air fireball or if its a lower air fireball that will hit them grounded should they try to move forward in an attempt to pass under the anti air fireball. you can shoot these air fireballs off VERY fast and in rapid succession allowing you to build meter which is why Kabal will always have a lot of super meter.

Dash and :en Dash:
while Kabal's dash is not the speed it once was in UMK3, it serves the same purpose. the dash allows you to check your opponent with the threat of a combo from anywhere on the screen. you can also cancel your standard dash on start up and use that fake to get opponents blocking then dash in and pressure. the :en dash is even faster then standard dash and its start up has 1 hit of armor so Kabal can :en dash out of all pressure situations vs careless opponents not mindful of his tools. whats even better is that this gives Kabal constant offense... even after your pokes, strings, and even overhead tornado slam are blocked Kabal can still :en dash. if the opponent tries to approach Kabal to get their offense going, the 1 hit of armor absorbs 1 attack and the opponent will be hit by the dash. this allows Kabal to poke and poke and poke even if left at negative frames after the attack because the threat of :en dash is so great, ESPECIALLY when you have the meter to break in case the dash is blocked.

Making a 50/50 off of Almost Every Attack:
after any normal poke or string you can link in low saw blade or overhead tornado slam for a 50/50.

:fp:fp:l+:bk mix up:
after the low hit in the string Kabal can cancel with his dash special and if the low hit connects, Kabal's dash is guaranteed. if they respect the low option then you can cancel before the low hit with his tornado slam which is a safe overhead. so you would :fp:fp:l+:bk~dash if they are stand blocking or :fp:fp~tornado slam if they are crouch blocking.

:r+:fk:bp String:
by far this is kabal's best string. both hits are mid and the string is safe. on block you can link in tornado slam for a overhead or low saw blade for a low. you can also link in a spin then cancel the spin then continue your offense. because of the quick recovery of :r+:fk you can do a mixup on if you will finish the string or continue pressure. :r+:fk :r+:fk :r+:fk :r+:fk:bp etc...

:fp:fp:fp:
when up close or approaching your opponent throw this out when ever you want. when it hits into pressure or mix ups.

:l+:bk Sweep:
you sweep is VERY fast and recovers fast after hitting the opponent. that allows you to approach or defend with a sweep then got into wake up when the sweep connects.

Anti Air:
uppercut, :bk~dash, or :en dash are your best options. :bk~dash must be done as anticipation. :en dash works in all situations and is GREAT for cross up situations where you cannot come out of block in time to anti air.

Wake Up Attack:
after being knocked down, if you preform a wake up attack with the tornado slam the move will have invincibility frames on start up.

COMBOS

STANDARD COMBOS:
1. :l+:fp:bp:fp, jump kick~air fireball, spin, :r+:fk:bp~tornado slam

2. :l+:fp:bp:fp, dash :fp, :r+:fk:bp~spin, :r+:fk:bp~tornado slam

3. spin, jump in :fp/:bp~:l+:fp:bp:fp, dash :r+:fk:bp~tornado slam

4. AA air air fireball, spin, NJ :fp/:bp, :r:fk:bp~tornado slam

5. jump kick~air fireball, :r+:fk:bp~spin, :r+:fk:bp~tornado slam

6. :fp:fp:l+:bk~spin, jump in :fp/:bp~:l+:fp:bp:fp, dash :r+:fk:bp~tornado slam

7. (opponent in corner) jump kick~air fireball, :r+:fk:bp~spin, :fk~tornado slam

8. (opponent in corner) :l+:fp:bp:fp, NJ:fp/:bp jump kick~air fireball, :r+:fk:bp~spin, :fk~tornado slam

9. (opponent in corner) spin, cross over jump in :fp/:bp~:l+fp:bp:fp, jump kick~air fireball, :r+:fk~tornado slam

10. (opponent in corner) :l+:fp:bp:fp, :l+:fp:bp:fp, :l+:fp:bp:fp, :l+:fp:bp:fp, :r+:fk:bp~tornado slam

:x COMBOS:
1. :l+:fp:bp:fp, dash :r+:fk:bp~:x

2. spin, jump in :fp/:bp~:l+:fp:bp:fp, dash :r+:fk:bp~:x

3. AA air fireball, :x

4. jump kick~air fireball, :r+:bk~:x

5. :fp:fp:l+:bk~spin, jump in :fp/:bp~:l+:fp:bp:fp, dash :r+:bk~:x

6. (opponent in corner) jump kick~air fireball, :r+:bk~:x

7. (opponent in corner) :l+:fp:bp:fp, NJ:fp/:bp jump kick~air fireball, :d+:fp~:x

8. (opponent in corner) spin, cross over jump in :fp/:bp~:l+fp:bp:fp, jump kick~air fireball, :r+:bk~:x

babalook

Noob
wow thank you so much this should help alot, have you found any way to end a combo without tornado slam that can set up for resets or better oki?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'm curious as well...because I can't land it at all.

REO

Undead
If it's not coming out, you're doing it way too slow. Input everything quick and you should be fine with Kabal.

Also Kabal is very hard to play online from my experience so far. You can't do a ton of things on reaction and his combos are 10x harder in delay.

Are there any tops for doing an air gas attack close to the ground? My thumb seems really slow on a 360 dpad when I'm trying it.

Also, should I buffer the motion for his fireball before his kick lands in the first combo?

babalook

Noob
^ im also very interested on tips for ijump fireballs that will still hit a standing opponent, also ive tried everything for the jump kick into fire ball and it won't work i know im doing the fireball fast enough but it still doesn't his.

To do jump kick fireball you need to buffer before the kick. It will only connect if you cancel the kick into the fireball immediately.

Thanks, I was doing :u :l :l :fp before and I was at the arc of my jump before the fireball ever came out lol.

@Vanilla-Thanks for the tip. I'm still messing up sometimes but I can get the jump kick fireball to come out more consistently now.

JagoMIH

Noob
possible 45% wall combo no meter, not sure if escapable, i put the ai on crouch block and seemed to work

jump in :fp, :l+:fp:bp:fp, jumpkick fireball, :l+:fp:bp:fp, :l+:fp:bp:fp, :l+:fp:bp:fp, :r+:bk, :l+:fp:bp:fp (block damage)

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
Found something pretty easy to do. You just need to time it properly. Sorry the quality is shit. They only way I can record is from my blackberry and of course the video recorder is a piece of shit.

16hit 40% (no meter) wall combo.
Jump in :fp/:bp, :l+:fp:bp:fp, nJP~:l+:fp:bp:fp~:l+:fp:bp:fp,~:l+:fp:bp:fp, Spin :d+:bp

Note: I've tried adding the X-ray to the end of it, but it only adds 2%. You should save your meter.

EDIT:I deleted my previous video and did re-recorded a further zoomed out one to help with the video skip. Now it's difficult to read the combo counter and damage output, but trust me. Its 16 with 40%. Hope this video is a little bit better

EDIT2: Damn, [user]Jago[/user] already put something up similar to mine lol.

REO

Undead
I made a Kabal vid last night on some of his basics up close, mostly about his F+:fk:bp string. Might do more on his other moves and areas soon.

oZii

Noob
Messing around in practice I found out that you can cancel the dash into any of his specials. Fireball, slam, buzzsaw, only thing you can't do is cancel into another dash or ex dash. Though u could block cancel then ex dash. This leads to good mind games.

rteruyas

Noob
Hello guys, first post here :)
I'm trying to make Kabal my main. I created a video based on the combos from Tom Brady, and a couple of combos I saw recently in HardEdge.org video. Please comment :) And once again, thanks for all the info here, it has really helped me a lot in these last week :)

Enjoy and greetings from Peru
Regards
Ray

PSN

Noob
To do jump kick fireball you need to buffer before the kick. It will only connect if you cancel the kick into the fireball immediately.
Thanks a lot man. As simple as that is, I hadn't even tried it. A long way to go with my Kabal, but I'm not giving up.