What's new

Guide Joker Parry Guide

SunLord5

Dualshock 2 User
The parry feels like it has more active frames vs banes charge/doomsdays charge lol, its easy. AFAIK 3x ha blows for attacking but for getting in it's good, when it gets to 3 it feels like "hyper kombat".

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Hi, yeah the parry is really hard to handle against lot of chars. Really efficient vs Bane by the way and doomsday for me.

parry has 2 frame startup and very few active frames, so unless you're doing it against a blockstring in the list in the OP, you gotta time it right which I'm sure you already realize is difficult. I agree with the sentiment of only using it against Doomsday/Bane so far, but I think as we get better at the game as time goes by you'll see people parry more things.

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Yes I am agree with that, for example greenlantern is not so difficul to parry. (b13 if I remembered correctly)
But if you try to parry shazam... The timing is clearly impossible in match. This trait needs a boost ;) if you compare to the others characters it s not the same difficulty.

But yeah, we need to play and train hard to use it correctly And safely.

i only use the parry on bane and doomsday.. trying it online on different characters is just asking for a beating..plus having the 3 Ha's doesnt benefit at all.. even if you had it the whole match its kinda worthless..doesnt feel as natural as the normal style of play

laudanum09

Darling
Trait needs to be reworked completely not just buffed. People saying 'oh just have it last permanently' kind of miss the entire issue. The problem is having to work your game around landing three parries with a 2 frame startup and low active frames just to get a speed and jump arc boost when other characters can just push a button to activate like 2-3 times a round and have an extra tool integral to their design. The benefit of the Ha's do not balance with the risk taken to try and get it. I could see it being more sensible if all we had to do was charge each Ha, foregoing damage or whatever to get the opportunity to stack one and keep it throughout the game like Sinestro. Then all we'd have is an average to above average trait, maybe allowing for setups not possible otherwise. Right now Joker doesn't even have a trait, just a mediocre 1 button special move.

Rant over.

Trait needs to be reworked completely not just buffed. People saying 'oh just have it last permanently' kind of miss the entire issue. The problem is having to work your game around landing three parries with a 2 frame startup and low active frames just to get a speed and jump arc boost when other characters can just push a button to activate like 2-3 times a round and have an extra tool integral to their design. The benefit of the Ha's do not balance with the risk taken to try and get it. I could see it being more sensible if all we had to do was charge each Ha, foregoing damage or whatever to get the opportunity to stack one and keep it throughout the game like Sinestro. Then all we'd have is an average to above average trait, maybe allowing for setups not possible otherwise. Right now Joker doesn't even have a trait, just a mediocre 1 button special move.

Rant over.
very well put

Gemakai

Just Go Loo-oo-ney!

Rant over.
Maybe if the HAs did something like a significant damage boost, it might justify the trait. It's quite annoying that Grundy can not only do a good bit of damage AND buff himself until he does it again at the push of one button, while Joker has to work to get only a speed boost that isn't that useful and doesn't even last a round.

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Right now Joker doesn't even have a trait, just a mediocre 1 button special move.
Yep I am agree, he is really efficient against charge, that's all. All the other possibilities are quite risky :S
NRS should really consider that... His trait is not safe at all ... during string.

laudanum09

Darling
simplest way to fix this trait to make it unique and useful without being overpowered or over-tweaked is to make it so that you can parry jump ins but you can only land parry 3 times (until Ha's are stacked) a round.

Two movements later...
My parry buff suggestion:
  • one-frame start up
  • shorter recovery
  • increased damage
  • can now parry projectiles (only negates projectile, does not send anything back)
  • projectile parry = 1 Ha
  • attack parry = 2 Ha's
  • As Ha's stack, increased movement speed, faster start-up on normals/specials, improved jump arc
  • At 3 Ha's, specials gain extra properties (unblockable teeth, stun effect on flower, perhaps EX options unlocked)
  • Ha's last fifteen seconds each
  • Rather than all the Ha's expiring at once, timer lasts for each Ha (Before, after time ran out, all the Ha's would go away at once. Now, after Ha 3, there would be 15 seconds of Ha 2, then 15 seconds of Ha 1, before running out.)

laudanum09

Darling
Two movements later...
My parry buff suggestion
(Chasing MetaSkipper all over town...)

I dunno being able to parry projectiles would be too much imo. Joker would shut down anyone with a zoning game lol. Even Raven has to make more of an effort.

Whatever buffs parry gets, NRS needs to keep in mind that a lot of characters get a whole lot more than speed and jump arc without having to do anything other than press trait button and wait for cool down after it runs out. If Joker has to actually work for a trait buff, then

1.) Joker should have the best parry in the game
2.) the buffs he gets should be proportionally powerful to the risk and effort taken to get them.

If all Superman has to do is push a button to get a damage and armor break buff, Joker should get something appropriately stronger for having such a disproportionately riskier and calculated activation condition. The problem is, to make it even remotely fair, his buffs would have to be ridiculously good. That's just dumb. They need to actually balance it by buffing the parry a bit and buffing the buffs a bit or reworking the entire trait(highly unlikely).

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Well, I am changing my opinion regarding the parry ;)
I have good results right now, my video guide is almost finished. I will do a video soon to explain how I use it. I don't think the parry needs a buff to be honest.

It's an excellent to punish if you read your opponent. If they have to buff something, it's the duration of HA!
In my opinon ;)

laudanum09

Darling
I have good results right now, my video guide is almost finished. I will do a video soon to explain how I use it. I don't think the parry needs a buff to be honest.

It's an excellent to punish if you read your opponent. If they have to buff something, it's the duration of HA!
In my opinon ;)
I'm excited for your vid.

But still, even if the parry had some use no one else is considering, I'm insulted on principal. It's so bland, the total opposite of unique and gimped on top of it.

SunLord5

Dualshock 2 User
We should update the first post in the thread for what part of the animation to look for to parry them. The problem with parry is you need to know everyone's strings, which will maybe make Joker as tough to master as Shang Tsung, but parry is a hard move to use on time.
===================
Green Lantern
b12, crouch then wait for the 2 to be above GL's shoulder. If they jump in the timing is earlier. It is quite hard. It's easier when he's on the ground or OTGs you with it.
b13, crouch then wait a little longer than b12.
===================
Aquaman
F132, crouch then wait for the 3 to be just above aquaman's head.
1123, crouch then wait for the second 1 to be in Joker's face.
f3 - when the trident is above his head
===================
Batman:
113 or 123, crouch the first 1 then wait for the second hit to be next to his head.
===================
Grundy
f122, at the second 2 wait for Grundy's fist to be directly above Joker's head.
f223, wait for the last hit and his cleaver to be above his head or slightly forward.
===================
Doomsday
112, crouch the first 1 then wait for the second hit to be front of his shorts. Easy.
123, crouch the first 1 then wait for the 2 to be above his head. Easy
Shoulder Charge. At the last second Easy to Medium.
===================
Harley Quinn
112, crouch, parry right after first 1.
123, crouch, parry when the gun is over her head.
f+12, parry when her hand is slightly forward above her head.
f+2, parry this overhead in training it is easy.
===================
Sinestro
when he lands this combo b13 b3 ji2 b12 xx shackles jump in d1 mash parry to stop the b2 xx arachnid sting + trait charging.
===================
Souperman
112, crouch the 1, then you can mash parry. Not easy in a real match unless you're fast to notice 1 while crouching and quickly mash standing parry.
Flying Punch, parry it when his fist is very close to his neck and behind it, you can also parry it when his hand is about to hit you. The spacing to get him to Joker is about one character behind Joker and one character behind superman. Easy but not many supermans use this special a lot.
Flying Punch -> MB, Record him dashing back to fullscreen, try with collision mode first, he'll whiff the bf+3 to mb it then his hand will be in front of him then parry. Sorta hard.
===================
Black adam
Nothing
===================
Nightwing
Nothing
===================
Bane
Charge. Near when it hits. SUPER EASY and very effective from anywhere.
===================
universal
f3, various timings. I only listed Aquaman's so far because they posted that as a combo starter in their thread.

SunLord5

Dualshock 2 User

In my opinon ;)
Awesome, looking forward to your vid.