What's new

Match-up Discussion Johnny Cage: Official Matchup Discussion

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
nah, jax has some tools to do things, but if the cage plays it like me and foxy at the highest lvl, the cage will win. I've beaten tyrant every set cage vs jax, so i know/ undeafeated vs jaxs with cage in general. I know foxy hasn't lost to a jax either with cage, and dizzy now knows the mu and beat tyrant pretty convincingly at dallas with cage. Armor does help jax's case, and his gp cancels/ gp can really come in hand. But cage's pressure and footsies will really get in jax's head. You can also avoid gps with cage's fb bcuz his leg lifts up when he does it. And f4 attempt equals full combo punish and if jax tries to counterpoke with d3/d1, automatic f3 pressure again. Once cage gains a lead, jax has to try and rush him down, and that isn't what he wants to be doing in the mu bcuz he can't even really pressure him.
I understand what you saying, and all that is tru. But all jax's play differently.

I dont poke
I dont pressure
I dont f4 unless i know its without a doubt it will hit

the way i play the cage match up is hit and run tactics (keep just outside cages range)

you dont give up space un-necessarily, wiff punish f3 and any other string (with moves that guarantee some kind of follow up then get out), wrinse and repete

what i dont think you know is that i am A F0xy Grampa 's test dummy I lived through his combo phase, his you-cant-jump-at-him-because-he-has-13-different-anti-air-normals phase to his current phase, i know all openings in cages pressure because they were tested on me.

But when it comes down to the nitty gritty I can and do beat foxy cage (atleast 1 every 4-10 games, of course there are those games that happen much more frequently than i would like where i get utterly steamrolled)

with all i said above, the reason i say its 6-4 is cause if i can come close enough to and actually beat foxy's cage then a better jax player can make this matchup a 6-4.

This message is brought to you by The Hateocracy

Reactions: RYX
I understand what you saying, and all that is tru. But all jax's play differently.

I dont poke
I dont pressure
I dont f4 unless i know its without a doubt it will hit

the way i play the cage match up is hit and run tactics (keep just outside cages range)

you dont give up space un-necessarily, wiff punish f3 and any other string (with moves that guarantee some kind of follow up then get out), wrinse and repete

what i dont think you know is that i am A F0xy Grampa 's test dummy I lived through his combo phase, his you-cant-jump-at-him-because-he-has-13-different-anti-air-normals phase to his current phase, i know all openings in cages pressure because they were tested on me.

But when it comes down to the nitty gritty I can and do beat foxy cage (atleast 1 every 4-10 games, of course there are those games that happen much more frequently than i would like where i get utterly steamrolled)

with all i said above, the reason i say its 6-4 is cause if i can come close enough to and actually beat foxy's cage then a better jax player can make this matchup a 6-4.

This message is brought to you by The Hateocracy
but the issue comes when the cage gets a lead. What i do is get a lead and force jax to come in, when you get jax doing that, it is a real issue for him. I feel that jax does have some good tools vs him without a doubt, but cage can counter pretty much everything he does. But i won't count it out being a 6 4 tho, i'll talk to tyrant about it and see what he thinks now, since he has beat some top cages recently.

PND i2 Gaug3

but the issue comes when the cage gets a lead. What i do is get a lead and force jax to come in, when you get jax doing that, it is a real issue for him. I feel that jax does have some good tools vs him without a doubt, but cage can counter pretty much everything he does. But i won't count it out being a 6 4 tho, i'll talk to tyrant about it and see what he thinks now, since he has beat some top cages recently.
To tell the truth, I have never had to deal with that from foxy, cause he never gives me a chance to breathe when cage is in the process of closing the cage. When I personally feel I have a chance is when he is not on me, when you talk about the neutral game (when you have the advantage in life) and trying to force jax to come in, I dont know how that would be played because as I have said I've never dealt with that play style, but as far as I can tell (This is where my theory fighting happens) the f3 from jax has a nice little range and if your just goin to back away and duck my projectiles/ jump my gp(or escape it with a normal) its only time before you mess up or are forced into the corner as soon as you hit that corner i dont care how much life you have or how much meter that game/round is as good as mine on a read.

But as I said that is all a bit of theory

Could you record some vids with you and tyrant so I can see what's happening it works out better if I can see the strat in action rather than talking about it.

This message is brought to you by the Hateocracy

haha naw you didn't write too much, good analysis. I'm actually getting my noob back together bcuz i used to play noob in tournaments and i was def a top 3 noob player, and noob possibly could have the edge in the matchup, i wouldn't be surprised.
i really doubt that. if cage gets in hes in, and its not extremely hard to get in in this mu. noobs zoning isn't THAT good really.

To tell the truth, I have never had to deal with that from foxy, cause he never gives me a chance to breathe when cage is in the process of closing the cage. When I personally feel I have a chance is when he is not on me, when you talk about the neutral game (when you have the advantage in life) and trying to force jax to come in, I dont know how that would be played because as I have said I've never dealt with that play style, but as far as I can tell (This is where my theory fighting happens) the f3 from jax has a nice little range and if your just goin to back away and duck my projectiles/ jump my gp(or escape it with a normal) its only time before you mess up or are forced into the corner as soon as you hit that corner i dont care how much life you have or how much meter that game/round is as good as mine on a read.

But as I said that is all a bit of theory

Could you record some vids with you and tyrant so I can see what's happening it works out better if I can see the strat in action rather than talking about it.

This message is brought to you by the Hateocracy
i actually fought him at some egp tournaments and at evo, so i'd say look up IGL MIT vs EGP Tyrant EVO 2012 mk9, and you'll find that fight. Also you can just type in EGP Tyrant vs IGL MIT and find another fight we had in a egp local. I also fought him at revelations, just look up revelations 2012 mk9 and somewhere towards the end i fought him. I do usually just go in for the kill, but sometimes i will wait him out if necessary.

i really doubt that. if cage gets in hes in, and its not extremely hard to get in in this mu. noobs zoning isn't THAT good really.
noob's zoning is underrated imo, i feel that it may not be super great(lack of armor), but cage will have to pick his spots. Cage doesn't automatically win when he gets in either, still got to deal with the poke game and upknees. And if noob manages to get a grab that throws cage in the corner, that is a big boost for him.

noob's zoning is underrated imo, i feel that it may not be super great(lack of armor), but cage will have to pick his spots. Cage doesn't automatically win when he gets in either, still got to deal with the poke game and upknees. And if noob manages to get a grab that throws cage in the corner, that is a big boost for him.
yeah i see what your saying, but when i play this mu i feel like cage has the upper hand. i dont think noobs zoning is underated honestly. but i could be wrong.

yeah i see what your saying, but when i play this mu i feel like cage has the upper hand. i dont think noobs zoning is underated honestly. but i could be wrong.
yeah it is an interesting mu that hasn't been explored that much since not many ppl actually play noob anymore, so i'm interested to see what would happen if a high lvl cage meets a high lvl noob and they run like a ft10.

PND i2 Gaug3

i actually fought him at some egp tournaments and at evo, so i'd say look up IGL MIT vs EGP Tyrant EVO 2012 mk9, and you'll find that fight. Also you can just type in EGP Tyrant vs IGL MIT and find another fight we had in a egp local. I also fought him at revelations, just look up revelations 2012 mk9 and somewhere towards the end i fought him. I do usually just go in for the kill, but sometimes i will wait him out if necessary.
Thoes vids are like almost a year old and from what I have seen in thoes vids
your cage looks slow in a lot of them
you d1???

and Tyrant
didnt understand the match-up from what I can see
was still using strings you shouldn't against low hitboxes (keep in mind he didn't get punished for doing that, at most he got a d1)
was whiff punishing in the most dangerous way

as I said those vids are old I cant understand anything from them to make a calculated response based on your keep out style, I'm sure both of you have much better understanding of the match-up now, that's why I would prefer to see much more current game-play so I can analyse and come to a conclusion.

Thoes vids are like almost a year old and from what I have seen in thoes vids
your cage looks slow in a lot of them
you d1???

and Tyrant
didnt understand the match-up from what I can see
was still using strings you shouldn't against low hitboxes (keep in mind he didn't get punished for doing that, at most he got a d1)
was whiff punishing in the most dangerous way

as I said those vids are old I cant understand anything from them to make a calculated response based on your keep out style, I'm sure both of you have much better understanding of the match-up now, that's why I would prefer to see much more current game-play so I can analyse and come to a conclusion.
d1 can only be punished by f4,1,3 and that is like what 13 percent? not much plus i dnt even d1 that much. I dnt think you watched the revelations fight bcuz that one was in august and was our most recent fight. Tyrant definitely understood the mu at evo bcuz he beat dizzy and maxter, but i was able to beat him bcuz i'm very good at that mu. But we'll either play again at a local soon or at ncr most likely, and i'll record the action

why do you have cage vs raiden 6-4? how does cage have the upper hand?
cage definitely wins, he can interrupt raiden's best strings(334 and b3,1,2) with ex nutpunch, can punish tele with b3 or f3, and raiden's zoning is mediocre/ he has a big hitbox. Raiden can tele out of pressure, the only issue is he isn't at advantage off a tele unless cage whiffs something I could just standing 1 when he teles, then f3 once he is on the other side.Raiden doesn't have a good armor move either, so that won't help him get out vs cage. Also if cage gets a lead, raiden got to force the issue, which automatically puts cage at the advantage. Raiden will usually be backing up the whole fight, another thing that helps cage out.

PND i2 Gaug3

d1 can only be punished by f4,1,3 and that is like what 13 percent? not much
This is the only thing that severely hurts jax in this match-up (and a lot others) he cannot punish for shit, all he can do is Sacrifice damage for setup possibilites (Which if you watched my jax setup guide)which is worth it

plus i dnt even d1 that much.
I didnt count or anything but that is what stood out second to the pace of your cage and I seen you dash forward d1 more than once so yeah.

Rather than throwing numbers around, I figured we could start doing analysis of Cage's bad MUs (and maybe even all MUs eventually) and talk about each one in detail. I thought I could start off with a rough analysis of the Kenshi MU:

Definitely one of Cage's worst matchups. It's going to take a lot of good reads and outplaying to be sucessful in this matchup. Kenshi can make it difficult for Cage from every point on the screen; however, he dominates most at mid and full screen. Within sweep range is when Cage can become a threat with a jump-in, EX Nut Punch, shadow kick, a blocked special from Kenshi, or a whiffed attack from Kenshi. The biggest threat to Cage up close is Kenshi's great armor (from EX Rising Karma and EX Spirit Charge) and excellent pokes (d1 and d3). He can build meter very well with blocked and whiffed specials. Kenshi can use d1 xx Spirit Charge as a great meterless escape from pressure and to keep the opponent in check. Cage wants to stay as close to Kenshi as possible, especially when Kenshi does not have meter. Kenshi is especially vulnerable in the corner without meter - if Cage can get Kenshi to the corner without meter, Kenshi can have a difficult time escaping.

Getting In
Starting off the round with an EX Shadow Kick is a good idea, although Kenshi's EX SC can stop it in its tracks. EX Shadow Kick's armor will go through just abot everything else. Approaching Kenshi depends on how the Kenshi player likes to keep Cage out - most Kenshis will use a combination of SC, teleflurries, and telekentic slashes. The Kenshi player may also utilize Kenshi's normals, F3 and B2, at mid range due to their tremendous reach. For the most part you want to take advantage of Cage's fast forward dash and slowly work your way into sweep range. Once Cage is in sweep range, he becomes a threat to Kenshi, and from here it's up to Cage to make a guess in order to get in on Kenshi or punish him for making a mistake. Making a correct read on what Kenshi will do for zoning will get you in faster.

Kenshi's SC is one of the biggest obstacles when trying to get in. It must be blocked, armored through, or jumped over. All slashes must be blocked high or dashed past. Teleflurries must be ducked under, jumped over, or blocked. The same applies for the EX versions of these moves. As for normals, F3 must be blocked low and B2 must be blocked high. B2's hitbox is very large, so it's not recommended that you try to jump over it. As for other moves, it is recommend that you block SC and only jump over a SC when at sweep distance in order to land a jump in punch. Using an EX Shadow Kick to get past SC is only recommended if Kenshi is near the corner. After landing a JIP, Cage's standard BnB is recommended (JIP F4 2 2 2 44 xx Nut Punch). Blocking a slash is recommended as it's the safest option - if you are within Shadow Kick Range, you can also punish a slash as it's coming out. For teleflurries, D3 under them and dash forward to get in faster (I believe Cage can also just crouch block under teleflurries). If Kenshi uses F32 is B2 and either is active, EX Nut Punch is recommended; otherwise use Cage's standard F33 xx Nut Punch or B3 2 2 2 44 xx Nut Punch to whiff punish them (this has to be spaced out accordingly to whiff punish them). Kenshi's F22B2 and F22B1 strings may also be used, and both are very whiff punishable. I like to walk back and whiff punish with B3, similar to whiff punishing Kitana's F21 string. Anytime these strings are active, they are also susceptible to EX Nut Punch. EX Nut Punch is also a good option in sweep distance to get past a close SC, RK, or teleflurry. It is also possible to use Cage's Forceball to punish a whiffed SC or slash from full screen, although this can be risky due to Kenshi's Reflect. If you ever block a RK up close, dash in f3 or b3 immediately to punish, as it is -17 on block. It's also very whiff punishable.

If you make a bad read on a jump-in when you're in sweep distance, you'll most likely get Rising Karma from the Kenshi player if they see the jump coming into a full combo punish, a standing 2 into a full combo punish, or Spirit Charged back to full screen. The Kenshi player will most likely end their combo with a SC to send you back to full screen, starting the whole process of trying to get in again. It should be noticed that RK can also be jumped over and punished with a JIP, but the space to jump over it is pretty tight. Many Kenshi players like to do a SC after some of his strings or normals, as a blocked SC is hard to punish with Cage - most of the time, this is after F22B2 or B2. Kenshi is neutral after F22B2 and B2 so keep this in mind. After blocking a SC at this distance, it is recommended you F3 immediately after in order to begin Cage's pressure. On a JIP that I'm unsure will hit I like to always go for 11f1 - if the 11 hits, hit confirm into Nut Punch. If it doesn't hit, continue with the 11f1. Kenshi can armor through a JIP 11f1 so only jail him with it when he has no meter; otherwise, f33 xx EX Forceball is recommended provided you have meter.

Applying Pressure
Kenshi has great options to get out of Cage's pressure. Most of the time, these options will send you back full screen so Cage is forced to try and get in again. Kenshi's best escape option with meter is EX SC, which will send you back full screen, or EX RK, which leads to a combo that can also send you back full screen. EX Slashes or Teleflurries are really never used. His best meterless escape options are d1, d3, and SC. Remember that SC is 8 frames so it can beat out F3, 2, and 1. Since SC is a projectile, it will always win if Cage's 2 or 1 are active at the same time. Kenshi's d1 and d3 are 6f and 7f, respectively. The Kenshi player may also SC after d1 or d3, which can stop counterpoke or crossover attempts. If you think he'll go for a SC after a blocked poke, EX Nutpunch is the best option to stop it. Remember that Kenshi is +7 after a blocked EX SC, so expect a follow-up SC or string such as F2 or F3. It's best to block the EX SC and wait for the follow-up, then react accordingly.

Cage must always respect these options. EX SC and RK are vulnerable to crossup JIPs, however. Crossup attempts can be beaten by a dash SC, d1, or EX SC/RK itself so you can't be too predictable with crossups. Cage is able to use 21 and 11f1 on a crouch blocking Kenshi, except the second hit in 11f1 will whiff so it can be punished. He can do his usual pressure with F3, 21, and 11f1, but should be careful when Kenshi has meter. D1 xx SC must also be respected. When Kenshi is in the corner, you should watch out if you try to cross him over - if he does an EX SC, he can follow it up with a d1 into a combo. Cage must be +4 to cross over Kenshi after using a block string, so you can only safely cross over Kenshi during pressure after using EX Forceball. Crossing over Kenshi is only recommended if the Kenshi player immediately uses an EX SC or EX RK, or after using an EX Forceball. If you cross over too late, Kenshi can easily react and punish. Kenshi can also use d3 to lower his hitbox on a crossover, causing your attack to whiff. It should also be noted that Teleflurry is +6 on hit, allowing Kenshi to check you with a SC, so don't try to dash or anything after getting hit by a Teleflurry.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
yeah it is an interesting mu that hasn't been explored that much since not many ppl actually play noob anymore, so i'm interested to see what would happen if a high lvl cage meets a high lvl noob and they run like a ft10.
I missed this before, but i have tons of experience in the cage noob matchup, and i would say slight favor cage. i play Ermacio's noob and the matchup is just in cages favor. Any guessing game that can really be created is equal risk reward or in cages favor. Noob is just too punishable and on reaction ex shadow kicks are huge in this matchup. Like you said, what keeps noob alive is if he can switch positions and start his corner game, but that is the only real advantage noob has and cage does have pretty good reversal options with his normals and ex nutpunch. i say 6-4 cage, and me and ermacios sets usually show a similar outcome.

Rather than throwing numbers around, I figured we could start doing analysis of Cage's bad MUs (and maybe even all MUs eventually) and talk about each one in detail. I thought I could start off with a rough analysis of the Kenshi MU:

Definitely one of Cage's worst matchups. It's going to take a lot of good reads and outplaying to be sucessful in this matchup. Kenshi can make it difficult for Cage from every point on the screen; however, he dominates most at mid and full screen. Within sweep range is when Cage can become a threat with a jump-in, EX Nut Punch, shadow kick, a blocked special from Kenshi, or a whiffed attack from Kenshi. The biggest threat to Cage up close is Kenshi's great armor (from EX Rising Karma and EX Spirit Charge) and excellent pokes (d1 and d3). He can build meter very well with blocked and whiffed specials. Kenshi can use d1 xx Spirit Charge as a great meterless escape from pressure and to keep the opponent in check. Cage wants to stay as close to Kenshi as possible, especially when Kenshi does not have meter. Kenshi is especially vulnerable in the corner without meter - if Cage can get Kenshi to the corner without meter, Kenshi can have a difficult time escaping.

Getting In
Starting off the round with an EX Shadow Kick is a good idea, although Kenshi's EX SC can stop it in its tracks. EX Shadow Kick's armor will go through just abot everything else. Approaching Kenshi depends on how the Kenshi player likes to keep Cage out - most Kenshis will use a combination of SC, teleflurries, and telekentic slashes. The Kenshi player may also utilize Kenshi's normals, F3 and B2, at mid range due to their tremendous reach. For the most part you want to take advantage of Cage's fast forward dash and slowly work your way into sweep range. Once Cage is in sweep range, he becomes a threat to Kenshi, and from here it's up to Cage to make a guess in order to get in on Kenshi or punish him for making a mistake. Making a correct read on what Kenshi will do for zoning will get you in faster.

Kenshi's SC is one of the biggest obstacles when trying to get in. It must be blocked, armored through, or jumped over. All slashes must be blocked high or dashed past. Teleflurries must be ducked under, jumped over, or blocked. The same applies for the EX versions of these moves. As for normals, F3 must be blocked low and B2 must be blocked high. B2's hitbox is very large, so it's not recommended that you try to jump over it. As for other moves, it is recommend that you block SC and only jump over a SC when at sweep distance in order to land a jump in punch. Using an EX Shadow Kick to get past SC is only recommended if Kenshi is near the corner. After landing a JIP, Cage's standard BnB is recommended (JIP F4 2 2 2 44 xx Nut Punch). Blocking a slash is recommended as it's the safest option - if you are within Shadow Kick Range, you can also punish a slash as it's coming out. For teleflurries, D3 under them and dash forward to get in faster (I believe Cage can also just crouch block under teleflurries). If Kenshi uses F32 is B2 and either is active, EX Nut Punch is recommended; otherwise use Cage's standard F33 xx Nut Punch or B3 2 2 2 44 xx Nut Punch to whiff punish them (this has to be spaced out accordingly to whiff punish them). Kenshi's F22B2 and F22B1 strings may also be used, and both are very whiff punishable. I like to walk back and whiff punish with B3, similar to whiff punishing Kitana's F21 string. Anytime these strings are active, they are also susceptible to EX Nut Punch. EX Nut Punch is also a good option in sweep distance to get past a close SC, RK, or teleflurry. It is also possible to use Cage's Forceball to punish a whiffed SC or slash from full screen, although this can be risky due to Kenshi's Reflect. If you ever block a RK up close, dash in f3 or b3 immediately to punish, as it is -17 on block. It's also very whiff punishable.

If you make a bad read on a jump-in when you're in sweep distance, you'll most likely get Rising Karma from the Kenshi player if they see the jump coming into a full combo punish, a standing 2 into a full combo punish, or Spirit Charged back to full screen. The Kenshi player will most likely end their combo with a SC to send you back to full screen, starting the whole process of trying to get in again. It should be noticed that RK can also be jumped over and punished with a JIP, but the space to jump over it is pretty tight. Many Kenshi players like to do a SC after some of his strings or normals, as a blocked SC is hard to punish with Cage - most of the time, this is after F22B2 or B2. Kenshi is neutral after F22B2 and B2 so keep this in mind. After blocking a SC at this distance, it is recommended you F3 immediately after in order to begin Cage's pressure. On a JIP that I'm unsure will hit I like to always go for 11f1 - if the 11 hits, hit confirm into Nut Punch. If it doesn't hit, continue with the 11f1.

Applying Pressure
Kenshi has great options to get out of Cage's pressure. Most of the time, these options will send you back full screen so Cage is forced to try and get in again. Kenshi's best escape option with meter is EX SC, which will send you back full screen, or EX RK, which leads to a combo that can also send you back full screen. EX Slashes or Teleflurries are really never used. His best meterless escape options are d1, d3, and SC. Remember that SC is 8 frames so it can beat out F3 (although it is possible to stuff it with Cage's 1 or 2). Kenshi's d1 and d3 are 6f and 7f, respectively. The Kenshi player may also SC after d1 or d3, which can stop counterpoke or crossover attempts. If you think he'll go for a SC after a blocked poke, EX Nutpunch is the best option to stop it. Remember that Kenshi is +7 after a blocked EX SC, so expect a follow-up SC or string such as F2 or F3. It's best to block the EX SC and wait for the follow-up, then react accordingly.

Cage must always respect these options. EX SC and RK are vulnerable to crossup JIPs, however. Crossup attempts can be beaten by a dash SC, d1, or EX SC/RK itself so you can't be too predictable with crossups. Cage is able to use 21 and 11f1 on a crouch blocking Kenshi, except the second hit in 11f1 will whiff so it can be punished. He can do his usual pressure with F3, 21, and 11f1, but should be careful when Kenshi has meter. D1 xx SC must also be respected. When Kenshi is in the corner, you should watch out if you try to cross him over - if he does an EX SC, he can follow it up with a d1 into a combo. Crossing over Kenshi is only recommended if the Kenshi player immediately uses an EX SC or EX RK. If you cross over too late, Kenshi can easily react and punish. Kenshi can also use d3 to lower his hitbox on a crossover, causing your attack to whiff. It should also be noted that Teleflurry is +6 on hit, allowing Kenshi to check you with a SC, so don't try to dash or anything after getting hit by a Teleflurry.
cage isn't winning this one. its cool that you wrote this up. but this mu might as well be 10-0. it really is hopeless against a kenshi that knows this mu and knows how to play it well. cage should never win this one.

its really hard for cage to get in. he'll get as far as mid range but its going to be hard to get further than that. sc is 8 frames. if you try to jump in, he can anti air you with sc on reaction. if you want to use ex shadow kick, the risk is all on you. and even if you do get in, which you might not even do, you won't be in long because kenshi always has meter. this mu is brutal for cage. call it 8-2 if you will but its prolly 10-0. laaoooo my cage brotherzzzz, laaaooooo. he works wonders

cage isn't winning this one. its cool that you wrote this up. but this mu might as well be 10-0. it really is hopeless against a kenshi that knows this mu and knows how to play it well. cage should never win this one.
It's definitely tough but I don't think it's unwinnable. He stands a better chance than Jade and Sub-Zero at least haha.

It's definitely tough but I don't think it's unwinnable. He stands a better chance than Jade and Sub-Zero at least haha.
not really. he doesnt really stand a chance at all. i beat average kenshis all the time with cage. but at a high level there really is no chance. there is no reason why kenshi should lose this one.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
crosstalk

Nice write-up of what options Cage has. Theres a few things that I think are kind of misleading though, that add to why it is such a nightmare matchup:

JIP 11f1 is nearly unusable if Kenshi has at least 1 bar of meter. On block, it gives Kenshi a free EX SC that can only be avoided by throwing out a random EX Nut Punch. It cannot be avoided by jump.

Pressuring Kenshi is nearly impossible regardless of meter. If he has meter, it just gives him an easier time as he doesn't have to worry about doing D1 SC. When he has meter he can do a very simple, foolproof strategy. This is when having blocked a neutral string, do regular SC. This will beat everything (including cross overs) that Cage does except d1 or d3. SC wins the trade with Cages standing 1 regardless of player side (it being a projectile). Now all you have to do is see if you have been hit by a D1 or D3 and immediately EX SC. After being hit by a D1 or D3, Kenshi gets a guaranteed EX SC that is not avoidable by crossover. Again, the only answer to this is throwing out a random EX nut punch.

That is why it is either 8-2 or 9-1. There is so many guaranteed escapes by Kenshi that the only answer to is spending a bar, throwing out a 35% punishable move that just puts you in the same situation. Even when he doesnt have meter, D1 SC is probably the best and easiest meterless escape in the game, and also prevents cross overs.