What's new

Match-up Discussion Johnny Cage: Official Matchup Discussion

need some serious advice against kenshi!
every time i face an kenshi even an thrash one i feel stupid.. such an stupid MU a never seen before lol
please help me :)

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
need some serious advice against kenshi!
every time i face an kenshi even an thrash one i feel stupid.. such an stupid MU a never seen before lol
please help me :)
When fighting kenshi, you can not be afraid to put your health on the line. Random shadow kicks, jumping, forceballs, anything to get him to stop just spamming shoulder really. then you can try to bait a 50 50 and whiff punish, or get in, or something. If kenshi has meter try to put yourself at advantage (d3 maybe?) and then crossover to bait the ex shoulder because you cannot jump over it at neutral. Overall a really tough match, your options are really limited.

Well i haven't really seen a recent one of these, and i still play cage at a high lvl of course, so i thought that i'd make a mu chart list that cages could accept, so here it goes:
Scorpion: 7-3
Reptile: 6-4
Ermac: 6-4
Rain: 6-4
Sub Zero: 4-6
Cyber Sub: 5-5
Smoke: 6-4
Noob: 5-5
Kenshi: 2-8
Freddy: 3-7
Jade: 7-3
Mileena: 7-3
Kitana: 5-5
Cyrax: 4-6
Sektor: 5-5
Skarlet: 5-5
Sindel: 7-3
Sonya: 4-6
Jax: 7-3
Stryker: 7-3
Liu Kang: 5-5
Kung Lao: 6-4
Kano: 8-2
Nightwolf: 7-3
Kabal: 3-7
Baraka: 7-3
Shang Tsung: 5-5
Quan Chi: 7-3
Raiden: 6-4
Sheeva: 8-2

GGA Dizzy
CURBOLICOUS
Mikemetroid
HGTV Soapboxfan
Maxter
and etc., might have tagged some ppl wrong haha, but want yall thoughts and analysis.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
As I have stated numerous times before (noob players know lol) I think cage beats noob. I also think kabal is a 2-8 but everything looks to be agreeable here, I have no major issues and could see all these numbers being accurate. Good chart.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
The Freddy matchup is probably the most stage dependent matchup in the game...on Rooftop Day, yeah its rough for Cage, but other stages it isn't too bad...

cage jax is not a 7-3, its 6-4.

A F0xy Grampa

This message is brought to you by The Hateocracy
nah, jax has some tools to do things, but if the cage plays it like me and foxy at the highest lvl, the cage will win. I've beaten tyrant every set cage vs jax, so i know/ undeafeated vs jaxs with cage in general. I know foxy hasn't lost to a jax either with cage, and dizzy now knows the mu and beat tyrant pretty convincingly at dallas with cage. Armor does help jax's case, and his gp cancels/ gp can really come in hand. But cage's pressure and footsies will really get in jax's head. You can also avoid gps with cage's fb bcuz his leg lifts up when he does it. And f4 attempt equals full combo punish and if jax tries to counterpoke with d3/d1, automatic f3 pressure again. Once cage gains a lead, jax has to try and rush him down, and that isn't what he wants to be doing in the mu bcuz he can't even really pressure him.

The Freddy matchup is probably the most stage dependent matchup in the game...on Rooftop Day, yeah its rough for Cage, but other stages it isn't too bad...
yeah i agree with this, freddy doesn't have a legit armor move, so he'll have issues getting away from him. And if the stage is like the pit, cage's chances improve alot.

Cage vs. DanCock 's Sindel is a 6-4 ;)
He 7-3s her with his pressure and corner game.
She can chip him a lot, build meter and x-ray his ass off of her
when needed. I'm not saying that is easy enough though.
yeah i agree with this, she has some good footsies and zoning to keep him out, the real issue is that she lacks a legit wakeup. So when cage is in on that huge hitbox, she is stuck trying to guess and get her way out. If Sindel had armor, it'd change the mu alot.

I think Noob beats Cage but 5-5 is good. :)
I feel it all depends on the position of the char, noob gets destroyed when cage is in on him, but if cage gets zoned out, noob will be a pain for him. Noob does have a lot of solid tools to keep him away without a doubt though, but some armor would easily give him the advantage.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I feel it all depends on the position of the char, noob gets destroyed when cage is in on him, but if cage gets zoned out, noob will be a pain for him. Noob does have a lot of solid tools to keep him away without a doubt though, but some armor would easily give him the advantage.
I don't disagree. The problem, though, is that Cage has to be point blank in order to do anything that matters. Even though people will disagree, he has to respect the 50/50 mix-up more than most due to lack of any mobility(dash blocking especially IMO, less time to react to incoming clones) and getting hit sends him back. Up close Noob can still keep him at bay for a bit with long reaching normals and of course, D3 and Upknee.

I think Front Portal creates problems for him too, kind of makes him have to risk jumping and getting sent back anyway, dashing into the portal/clone for a free combo, or giving Noob time to back up more and they're in the same exact situation. By the time Cage does get in, Noob has tools to keep him out and he will almost always have a breaker by then anyway, so if he fucks up, it's okay. I feel both of them destroy each other in the corner, it's more about using smart reads to escape on both ends. I'm not familiar with Cage(mine isn't very good and it's not like the shitty online ones are any help lmao), but this is based from what I've seen/looking at the two's movesets.

Noob dominates the zoning, Cage dominates CQC, and I feel Noob has a slight advantage in between. 5-5 at worst if not in Noob's favor.

did i write too much?

ps fuck armor, EX tackle needs to be a command grab. :)

I don't disagree. The problem, though, is that Cage has to be point blank in order to do anything that matters. Even though people will disagree, he has to respect the 50/50 mix-up more than most due to lack of any mobility(dash blocking especially IMO, less time to react to incoming clones) and getting hit sends him back. Up close Noob can still keep him at bay for a bit with long reaching normals and of course, D3 and Upknee.

I think Front Portal creates problems for him too, kind of makes him have to risk jumping and getting sent back anyway, dashing into the portal/clone for a free combo, or giving Noob time to back up more and they're in the same exact situation. By the time Cage does get in, Noob has tools to keep him out and he will almost always have a breaker by then anyway, so if he fucks up, it's okay. I feel both of them destroy each other in the corner, it's more about using smart reads to escape on both ends. I'm not familiar with Cage(mine isn't very good and it's not like the shitty online ones are any help lmao), but this is based from what I've seen/looking at the two's movesets.

Noob dominates the zoning, Cage dominates CQC, and I feel Noob has a slight advantage in between. 5-5 at worst if not in Noob's favor.

did i write too much?

ps fuck armor, EX tackle needs to be a command grab. :)
haha naw you didn't write too much, good analysis. I'm actually getting my noob back together bcuz i used to play noob in tournaments and i was def a top 3 noob player, and noob possibly could have the edge in the matchup, i wouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: RYX

SatsuiYesHadou

Yung Kneecaps
I feel cage vs noob is 6-4 cage at highest level if not 7-3. Its so easy to get in and just dominate up close. All of his attacks are easily baited and punishable by shadow kick such as a whiffed upknee and a blocked projectile just to trap him in the corner. Of course online it would by like a 7-3 in noobs favor.

I also think baraka gets horribly raped 7-3 by jonathan. His zoning is a joke, his only armor is ex blade charge which is free pressure or a well timed shadow kick when blocked, his d4 isn't really a problem if spaced nicely, and overall it feels like cage just overwhelms him.

These 2 matchups have never made me think twice about it once I played it a few times. Everything else looks 100% perfect. This chart bernies on the others MITDJT :)

I feel cage vs noob is 6-4 cage at highest level if not 7-3. Its so easy to get in and just dominate up close. All of his attacks are easily baited and punishable by shadow kick such as a whiffed upknee and a blocked projectile just to trap him in the corner. Of course online it would by like a 7-3 in noobs favor.

I also think baraka gets horribly raped 7-3 by jonathan. His zoning is a joke, his only armor is ex blade charge which is free pressure or a well timed shadow kick when blocked, his d4 isn't really a problem if spaced nicely, and overall it feels like cage just overwhelms him.

These 2 matchups have never made me think twice about it once I played it a few times. Everything else looks 100% perfect. This chart bernies on the others MITDJT :)
haha i'm going to have to play you in that noob mu if you go to ncr, and baraka i should change to 7 3