What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

Killer Xinok

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015
You dont do it on reaction, you just notice as you are pressuring someone whether they duck after your 11 each time, or if they are looking for f2/stagger/throw. Its a risk so dont just throw it out basically, in some matches where your opponent always fuzzy after the 11 you just forget 113 unless they have no meter and your clones are loaded.
Yeah, the "fuzzyer" opponents are the problem.. I faced @Konqueror249_ on a championship.. he didn't accept any mixup.. I tried all of them.. and poked me when I did 1 or 11 to try to trick him. But I'll try stunt double again .. try to 114 more , or do a better spacing.. I played it when 114 still whiffs, before the last patches.
Thanks for the support guys.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Yeah, the "fuzzyer" opponents are the problem.. I faced @Konqueror249_ on a championship.. he didn't accept any mixup.. I tried all of them.. and poked me when I did 1 or 11 to try to trick him. But I'll try stunt double again .. try to 114 more , or do a better spacing.. I played it when 114 still whiffs, before the last patches.
Thanks for the support guys.
In stunt double 114 is really good, people forget its +2. Also remember that a blocked poke is - frames so baiting it can get your pressure going.

Dja_Homies

Kaz...... I'm already a Fiddle.
Yeah 113 ex mrs loses to advancing armor but beats still/ standing armor. Sadly most characters seems to have some form of advancing armor :/

(A-List)
Is 21~Flip Kick cancel
Or
b34~Flip Kick cancel any good?

I've really just been F3~RC~everything with my pocket Cage and it gets the job done. I saw those two being used in Canada cup and was curious what the purpose was. I spent a while grinding out combos for the b34 cancel, but honest I don't know how to gain any mileage out of it, or if there's even any mileage to be gained there.

I have found the 21 flipkick thing useful for the corner I guess.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Well the good thing about 113 special having armour is that good chars wait to punish it = Fred pressure because it's not possible to both

rafaw

#YouSuck
(A-List)
Is 21~Flip Kick cancel
Or
b34~Flip Kick cancel any good?

I've really just been F3~RC~everything with my pocket Cage and it gets the job done. I saw those two being used in Canada cup and was curious what the purpose was. I spent a while grinding out combos for the b34 cancel, but honest I don't know how to gain any mileage out of it, or if there's even any mileage to be gained there.

I have found the 21 flipkick thing useful for the corner I guess.
Just use flipkick if you confirm that 113/b34/21 hits, even tho i dont see why would you use 21 over 114/f24/11/F3.

But even when i confirm, in most cases is something like this: B34/F3/113xxskrc F3/113xxflipkick~D1xxflipkick 12 12 21xxNp.

Ravosa

Wild Card
Looking for somebody who's very competent with cage to play some sets. I play a good GM sub and need more matchup experience against a good Johnny. My psn is codyravosa.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Looking for somebody who's very competent with cage to play some sets. I play a good GM sub and need more matchup experience against a good Johnny. My psn is codyravosa.
Are you serious? You play GM and need to practice the Cage matchup?? It's like an 8-2 in Sub's favor...

Anyway, I can play you if you want. Are you on american or european servers?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Are you serious? You play GM and need to practice the Cage matchup?? It's like an 8-2 in Sub's favor...

Having a winning MU does not mean you don't need to practice it. That is a sure way to fail. Relentless Jason is a 7-3 for Cage but you won't beat a top level Jason with zero MU exp.

Also, GM Sub is a bad matchup but 8-2 just seems exaggerated :p I don't think anything could be accepted as an 8-2 in the first year of a game still in active development. The game needs to be aged more before making claims like that.

Wigy

There it is...

I HATE subzero. Its not a 8-2. Probably 6-4 6.5-3.5 (AT THE WORST)

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Cage does alright against sub zero, you just need to learn to prepare your anus if you get cornered and what clones you can punish with EX shadowkick to get out of there. b2 is -14 and b33d4 is -12, punish them if hes in front of or without a clone like you would punish a blocked slide or iceball. Stunt double shadowkicks also go through clones, so you can force his clone to burst meterless in the corner even on wakeup.

ismael4790

I HATE subzero. Its not a 8-2. Probably 6-4 6.5-3.5 (AT THE WORST)
Cage does alright against sub zero, you just need to learn to prepare your anus if you get cornered and what clones you can punish with EX shadowkick to get out of there. b2 is -14 and b33d4 is -12, punish them if hes in front of or without a clone like you would punish a blocked slide or iceball. Stunt double shadowkicks also go through clones, so you can force his clone to burst meterless in the corner even on wakeup.
I'm thinking about Fisticuffs, he deals much worse with GM than the other two variations. You can't go through clones like SD, and you can't pressure with cancels. With the old speedbag, when I got in, that was my chance. But now Subby has very few things to fear from FC.

Having a winning MU does not mean you don't need to practice it. That is a sure way to fail. Relentless Jason is a 7-3 for Cage but you won't beat a top level Jason with zero MU exp.

Also, GM Sub is a bad matchup but 8-2 just seems exaggerated :p I don't think anything could be accepted as an 8-2 in the first year of a game still in active development. The game needs to be aged more before making claims like that.
Yeah, maybe I got a little bit excited with the 8-2 xD
I'm not A-list expert, but I'm sure he can do much better than the poor Fisticuffs in this matchup.

Last edited:

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I'm thinking about Fisticuffs, he deals much worse with GM than the other two variations. You can't go through clones like SD, and you can't pressure with cancels. With the old speedbag, when I got in, that was my chance. But now Subby has very few things to fear from FC.

Yeah, maybe I got a little bit excited with the 8-2 xD
I'm not A-list expert, but I'm sure he can do much better than the poor Fisticuffs in this matchup.
Fisticuffs is up shit creek man if you like winning i would just pick up something else.

ismael4790

Fisticuffs is up shit creek man if you like winning i would just pick up something else.
I play the 3 variations, but Fisticuffs always looked cooler to me. I know it's crap, and almost no one uses it (besides Mikemetroid, but I think even him finally dropped this variation). I have a feeling he will receive some love in the next patch. He's sooo limited.

Ravosa

Wild Card
Yeah I'm aware this is one of the better match ups for sub but like I said I haven't really played many high level cage players. The ones I'm playing clearly don't know the match up and live in the corner the whole game. I'm on American servers, east coast. Add me at codyravosa.

ismael4790

Yeah I'm aware this is one of the better match ups for sub but like I said I haven't really played many high level cage players. The ones I'm playing clearly don't know the match up and live in the corner the whole game. I'm on American servers, east coast. Add me at codyravosa.
Added you, we can play a session when you want, pal.

How are people incorporating 11 mixups? After a landed nut punch, and assuming you have mimics and bar, are you going straight into 11 mix ups and hoping to open up you opponent so you can use your resources in a combo, or are you burning bar and mimics in block strings first then going into 113 or 11 F2 in the hope to land another nut punch and reactivate mimics on block?

Oh and @FireBreather I haven't forgotten about you, but my JC isn't where I want him yet. Soon though, mate.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
Anyone else think SD shouldn't have the gap in his EX Forcball? So here's what I'm trying to do, When I activate the clones and use them for pressure, I decide to not go for EX MRS and use the shadow kicks instead and then do F3 EX Forceballs for max chip, 2% per ball, since F3 EX Forceballs jails and 114 into EX Forceballs jail among other strings it seems perfect to go for, however the gap in the forceballs makes me question going for this half the time. Would removing the gap in the EX Forceballs make it too OP?