What's new

Jax Question and Answer thread

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
Haha, thanks man. Ive been practicing alot today and ive figured out F4 OS and D4 OS for the most part. i still struggle with OS after 1,2 (while in the corner setting up for reset) I always get a damn dash punch or projectile. Any buffers or anything to help me get this right? It would be sweet if my dpad was just a little messed up and i could do it easily on a different pad.

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
Im almost positive i do it perfectly and sometimes i get dash punch, sometimes its a projectile. Its frustrating. Ive got the down up thing down though lol. Raiden was my first main day 1 after all lol. Ill get in the lab again today and pay close attention.. see if im doing something without realizing it.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Im almost positive i do it perfectly and sometimes i get dash punch, sometimes its a projectile. Its frustrating. Ive got the down up thing down though lol. Raiden was my first main day 1 after all lol. Ill get in the lab again today and pay close attention.. see if im doing something without realizing it.
The input has to be really clean. Check on the input bar on the left in training that you're getting 'down up' and not 'down right up' or something similar. What pad are you playing on BTW? I had a lot of problems with it on the xbox controller.

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
I'm impressed as hell you can play Mk at all with that dpad. I'm on ps3, using a DS3. I've heard the ps2 controller has the greatest dpad of all time, I'd like to try it out some day. (via a converter of course). What's your set up for the GP reset? I've been using 413, d1, 12, 12, OS. Is there a better set up after the down 1 that makes it easier to connect on the OS?

So what is everyone using when they pay Jax? Are you playing on pad or stick? And which do you feel works for him better personally? I ask because I'm at a cross road between the two. I started playing on a arcade stick around the same time MK9 came out and have pretty much only played on the stick since. However, I been trying the pad out while the family sleeps at night and notice I have less errors on it. No random uppercuts when im trying to do dash punch, d4 xx up4 goes off consistently and corner kombos seems to be alot easier...especially when mixing it up due to amount of meter i have. Only thing is im lot slower on the pad then I am on the stick. :/ plus everything just comes out natural. So long story short I want to hear everyones opinions to help me decide on rather I switch or not.

LEGEND

YES!
So what is everyone using when they pay Jax? Are you playing on pad or stick? And which do you feel works for him better personally? I ask because I'm at a cross road between the two. I started playing on a arcade stick around the same time MK9 came out and have pretty much only played on the stick since. However, I been trying the pad out while the family sleeps at night and notice I have less errors on it. No random uppercuts when im trying to do dash punch, d4 xx up4 goes off consistently and corner kombos seems to be alot easier...especially when mixing it up due to amount of meter i have. Only thing is im lot slower on the pad then I am on the stick. :/ plus everything just comes out natural. So long story short I want to hear everyones opinions to help me decide on rather I switch or not.
with my ps3 pad i have no problems

with my 360 pad i have nothing BUT problems

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I would reccomend this to anyone. Takes like a day to get used to and it improved my game a tonne.

what stand for NJP AND BNB combos, and how this combo possible

i means what is 12xx
NJP is neutral jump punch, where you do a vertical jump and input either 1 or 2 (a punch).

BNB stands for bread and butter, which is a common combo for a character that is usually easy to do.

"xx" means that something can be canceled into a special move. In this case, you can input the df motion for the gotcha grab as the 2 is coming out, and then immediately press 1 to cancel the 2 into a gotcha grab. So in reality the entire motion is 12df1.

Here's a basic notations guide: http://testyourmight.com/threads/mk9-basics-notation-guide.3876/

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
This thread has been inactive for quite some time, but i thought id drop by and mention that my ps3 pad was jacked up, thus i struggled with the tougher inputs on the dpad. Not any longer! The ps2 pad i picked up has almost made mk a completely different game for me. Interesting side note* The vita pad dpad even feels better than the ps3 pad.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
Woot frame data is out!

Interesting stuff in there, notably jax's projectile being +10 on hit/ +19 for EX.
I found you can hit confirm it if you land a 12 or a f41. F41 is stance specific though (jax's chest must face opposite the opponent's). You can avoid all the stance troubles if you just do F4 EW but that's not so easy to hit confirm.

Now, this frame advantage is too big to ignore IMO. Has anyone found any good followups after an (EX)energy wave?
The spacing seems to differ between each variation but i'm sure the jax community can work some stuff out. Jax isn't really a 50/50 character, but i still think this can be of use.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
Woot frame data is out!

Interesting stuff in there, notably jax's projectile being +10 on hit/ +19 for EX.
I found you can hit confirm it if you land a 12 or a f41. F41 is stance specific though (jax's chest must face opposite the opponent's). You can avoid all the stance troubles if you just do F4 EW but that's not so easy to hit confirm.

Now, this frame advantage is too big to ignore IMO. Has anyone found any good followups after an (EX)energy wave?
The spacing seems to differ between each variation but i'm sure the jax community can work some stuff out. Jax isn't really a 50/50 character, but i still think this can be of use.
Well not 10 seconds after posting this I found something.

After any of these strings ending with the energy wave, the opponent CANNOT duck a dash punch they are forced to block.
Seems pretty good to me! You get a free 2% check and if they try anything other than block, you get 9%.
Even if they block you're only getting 1% less damage than if you were to confirm into gotcha grab and now you're neutral in the opponent's face, exactly where jax wants to be. This will also build more meter than gotcha.

Edit: in the corner you can followup with an unduckable 12 string for the 2% chip plus a cancel option.

Guess the jax parts are pretty dead. CD jr Not sure if anyone will put this to use.

CD jr

Noob
ive been working on that actually but the thing is sometimes after f41 the wave doesnt connect and f4 wave is hard to hit confirm.ill let you know if i find something

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Woot frame data is out!

Yeah I've learned a lot of stuff looking at the new frame data! I'm stoked to try it out!

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Hey guys, I was messing around with Jax in training mode the other day and I really like him a lot. I got his execution down over the past day or two, and I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind going over some solid general strats for Jax's ground game.

I hear a lot of d4 gotcha grab since the push back spaces you out and gives you other options. What are some good follow-ups to it or just some good strats in general that are effective when fighting mid-screen?

Also, what is an effective way to setup and use the b124 string in the corner since it comes out kind of slow.

Just basically looking for some solid tips since I am starting out the character (can someone also explain the timing on the 7th hit on Jax's throw? Right now I just mash 2+4 after the first two commands to get the 6 hits)

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
d4 gotcha it a bit redundant in footsies I think. You're better of going for a naked d4 since the gotcha grab will remove a lot of the advantage you get if it hits and on block you'll be -1 as opposed to being neutral. It pretty much just spaces for f4 either way. You're better off using D4 OHS if you're right in the opponent's face too, it's much better IMO.

I only ever use b124 from a jump in, like you said it's far too slow to throw out randomly if the opponent is stood up. After a corner knockdown 9 times out of ten you'll be wanting to set up GP mixups anyway.

Jax's throw goes like this:
1+3 to throw (1st slam and 2nd slam)
1+4 (3rd slam)
2+3 (4th slam)
2+4 (5th slam)
1+2+3+4 (6th slam, just frame input)

Check out all of the other stickies too, there's lots of good info in them for new Jax players.

RiBBz22

d4 gotcha it a bit redundant in footsies I think. You're better of going for a naked d4 since the gotcha grab will remove a lot of the advantage you get if it hits and on block you'll be -1 as opposed to being neutral. It pretty much just spaces for f4 either way. You're better off using D4 OHS if you're right in the opponent's face too, it's much better IMO.
Yeah, this is good advice. Looking at the frame data since d4 is +12 on hit it doesn't make a ton of sense other than to use gotcha grab to space for f4, but people looking for that can block it and you are at -17 and likely to get blown up.

What do you think about hitting d4 into a b124 xx dash punch block string then you are back at zero and may be able to start offense again with a standing jab or poke which ends up leading into another d4 to eventually try to keep working someone toward the corner.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Yeah, this is good advice. Looking at the frame data since d4 is +12 on hit it doesn't make a ton of sense other than to use gotcha grab to space for f4, but people looking for that can block it and you are at -17 and likely to get blown up.

What do you think about hitting d4 into a b124 xx dash punch block string then you are back at zero and may be able to start offense again with a standing jab or poke which ends up leading into another d4 to eventually try to keep working someone toward the corner.
After you hit the d4 they can duck, b1 hits high so you're free to be poked. They could also duck the dash punch on the end and full combo punish you. B124 on its own is pretty good, but b12xxgotcha is better because it jails from a jump-in and cant be interrupted by armour or CSZ's parry after the 2 where b124 on its own can.

RiBBz22

Good call. So the only thing that the opponent really has to respect by blocking is the F4 strings after a d4.