What's new

Jax Question and Answer thread

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
A lot of moves are punishable by 2 f2 b1 AGG that I only see punished by F4 1 3 even by tournament players.

How do you try to take advantage of this untechable knockdown? cross over?
I dont think you'd have enough time to cross over since the opponent gets up very quick, but because they cant tech roll you can immediately get in their face.

Another question:

I noticed Jax's standard grab does only 8% damage. I know you can manually add more hits to it to equal 13% damage. What I am asking is how to do that? thanks :)
I summarised this somewhere further up the page, but I'll repost for your convenience :3

Multi grab inputs are:

1+3 (to throw)
1+4 (during second slam) adds 3%
2+3 (during third slam) adds 2%
2+4 (during fourth slam)
1+2+3+4 (during fifth slam) adds 2% and calls the opponent ugly :D

That last one is incredibly hard to do, I dont think anyone can do it consistently.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
has this happened to anyone else? i was playing a kabal and i got him into the corner i hit the overhead and was about to complete the corner trap by doing an en gp (which i do ALL THE TIME) and he got out of it using his en double buzz saw wake up. i hit the ground at the moment he stood up and the saws hit me. now ive done this corner thing a million times but this is is a first

OmyMk

Noob
has this happened to anyone else? i was playing a kabal and i got him into the corner i hit the overhead and was about to complete the corner trap by doing an en gp (which i do ALL THE TIME) and he got out of it using his en double buzz saw wake up. i hit the ground at the moment he stood up and the saws hit me. now ive done this corner thing a million times but this is is a first
It happens, usually online due lag...or a delayed GP. The elbow overhead into Ex GP is 100% unescapable.

Theme

Noob
So I've been playing Jax of late, and hes a pretty solid character. However, whenever I pick him, my friends pick a character like Sonya or Smoke who has good low pokes. I cannot beat their low pokes at all with Jaxs. Even the EX-dash punch doesnt hit low. Now I remember reading CDJr said he found a way to destroy pesky low pokers, and it involves 2f2. I dont understand, the reach on that move is really short. How is it effective against someone like Sonya?

Whats a good way to defend and counter against lower pokers?

MoFuzz

Noob
So I've been playing Jax of late, and hes a pretty solid character. However, whenever I pick him, my friends pick a character like Sonya or Smoke who has good low pokes. I cannot beat their low pokes at all with Jaxs. Even the EX-dash punch doesnt hit low. Now I remember reading CDJr said he found a way to destroy pesky low pokers, and it involves 2f2. I dont understand, the reach on that move is really short. How is it effective against someone like Sonya?

Whats a good way to defend and counter against lower pokers?
If you're within poking range, you should be in range of the 2-F2 string. Both blows will hit a crouching opponent who is trying to duck-whiff with a low hitbox character, and the F2 is an overhead and the opponent must block standing. This is where Jax wants the opponent to be, so he can pressure and mix up with the 1-2 string, F4-1 string, F4-Overhead or throws.

Vagrant

Noob
Some advice on how to play this matchup as scorp? I find myself constantly guessing as to what the hell to do.

swag1

EX smash solves all
This may have been addressed, and if so, I apologize, don't wanna go through 8 pages of stuff. What are the best options to follow up an Overhead Smash with midscreen? Thanks

OmyMk

Noob
This may have been addressed, and if so, I apologize, don't wanna go through 8 pages of stuff. What are the best options to follow up an Overhead Smash with midscreen? Thanks
1. Ex Ground Pound for 10% guaranteed.
2. Delayed Ex Overhead Smash to stuff certain wake-up attacks.
3. Two Ground pound cancels or Gotcha Grabs for meter gain.
4. Delayed cross over jump in punch.
5. Simply pushing the body towards corner.

Panque

Random foreign guy
So, I've been trying Jax for some time now, and I love the character. I like the fact that he is versatile enough to zone some zoners and that his armor moves are powerful enough to crush their souls =)
The thing is, I cant seem to maintain my pressure going... What exactly should I do against a crouch blocking character, are there any safe strings that hit mid? I know his pressure isn't simple, but can someone give me the best options I have?
Also, whats the better tool against players that are fishing for a dash punch and ducking far away from you? Ground pound? I guess dash f413 would do the job as well...

OmyMk

Noob
So, I've been trying Jax for some time now, and I love the character. I like the fact that he is versatile enough to zone some zoners and that his armor moves are powerful enough to crush their souls =)
The thing is, I cant seem to maintain my pressure going... What exactly should I do against a crouch blocking character, are there any safe strings that hit mid? I know his pressure isn't simple, but can someone give me the best options I have?
Also, whats the better tool against players that are fishing for a dash punch and ducking far away from you? Ground pound? I guess dash f413 would do the job as well...
f4 xx Ex OS a few times to let them know it's not safe to try to interrupt f4 strings. 2,f2 xx ... also good. The only situations i use regular DP are: in a combo; wakeup attack if i see them throwing fireballs; or to close space after a knockdown, and maintain pressure.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
d4xxOS is very good, as is 2f2~ into whatever depending whether they block or not, f3 grants you another free f4 on hit, you can also just throw them and bag 13% damage. As for people crouching at dash punch distance, make them panic with a GP and cancel into whatever.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
I came across something pretty odd the other day while playing jax. I went for a superman punch but it looked like i had cancelled it...
Jax didn't go as far as a normal superman punch would take him, and his arm wasn't fully extended for the punch either. It looked like he just stopped mid-lunge and was neutral. I 'think' I input something similar to kabal's NDC, but honestly I have no idea what the fuck happened.
I was playing online, so that could be part of it but it didn't lag noticeably or anything while it happened. I couldn't reproduce this in practice mode, but I really don't know what I did. My brother witnessed it too and we were both like "wtf" when it happened. I'm thinking maybe there's a just-frame cancel or something that NRS has conveniently not mentioned.

I'm not trolling. Has anyone experienced this before??

Gilbagz

Joker here~
I've never vs'd a good jax before until now so i know nothing about him. Anyways my question is, does jax's f+4 let him pick up people like jades d+3? Because I was playing Cage and i had Jax down to the point where he had no health left, and then he knocked me down. I was going to wake up flash kick to chip him out but instead my flask kick didn't come out and instead he forced me to stand using f+4. Can the f+4 do this, or did I just time the wake up wrong?

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Thanks Havik
Knew I didn't just mistime it lol!
I was spamming the hell out of it to get it out at the earliest frame.

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
Hey fellas, I just picked up Jax and Ive got a decent grasp on the character but there are just a few things i am having trouble hitting consistently. Half the time I go for D4, overhead smash or F4, overhead smash; the overhead smash doesn't come out.. I have the same issue with D1, GG to some degree. Do I just need to keep practicing or is there some secret I dont know about? Also using the typical reset in the corner off F4,1,3 negative edge rears its ugly head when i try to follow up 1,2 with Overhead Smash.. Basically OS is giving me all kinds of problems! Any ideas how to help me not suck with jax?

OmyMk

Noob
Hey fellas, I just picked up Jax and Ive got a decent grasp on the character but there are just a few things i am having trouble hitting consistently. Half the time I go for D4, overhead smash or F4, overhead smash; the overhead smash doesn't come out.. I have the same issue with D1, GG to some degree. Do I just need to keep practicing or is there some secret I dont know about? Also using the typical reset in the corner off F4,1,3 negative edge rears its ugly head when i try to follow up 1,2 with Overhead Smash.. Basically OS is giving me all kinds of problems! Any ideas how to help me not suck with jax?
It will come with time...

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
You probably aren't doing the inputs fast enough from the d4. As for the corner you just gotta get the timing right through practice.

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
Ahah! I figured out that on D4 OS if you just input D4, U4 it works like a charm. Still not getting F4 OS very well. I feel like im going to get a blister on my thumb! ..or break my dpad. Any advice on when to input the ground pound for the corner reset?