What's new

MK9 Basics: Notation Guide

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
For the guides we use :fp :bp :fk :bk. However a lot of people are using the Tekken number system for MK9. Here's a simple guide on the notations used for MK9.

Key:
Green = XBOX 360
Red = PS3

1 = :fp (X/Square)
2 = :bp (Y/Triangle)
3 = :fk (A/X)
4 = :bk (B/O)

F = Forward
B = Back
L = Left
R = Right
D = Down
U = Up

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

~ or xx = Cancel

BLK = Block

AA = Anti-Air

BnB = Bread and Butter

Low = A hit that hits your opponent low
High = A hit that hits your opponent high
Overhead = A hit that hits a crouching opponent, blocking or not

50/50 = A guessing situation where you or the opponent can go either low or high/overhead

OTG = On/Off The Ground

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Frame Rate = Frame rate is 60 frames/second for MK9. a 7 frame move takes 7/60ths of a second, (and a 60 frame move would take one second, but I don't think there's anything that slow in this game).

Oki = 'Oki' is short for Okizeme or Wake-up game in English. It's like a guessing game that you play when you or your opponent is on the ground. If you're on the ground and you guess right about what your opponent is going to do, then you might be able to stand up without taking any damage. If you guess wrong, then you will take damage and might be back on the ground again. Of course, it isn't just a simple guessing game, there are strategies involved as well.

Reset = A 'reset' is when you put your opponent into an air borne state and then hit them with a move to make them "reset" out of the combo instead of ending the combo with a standard finisher. Resets are used to start mix up games because the opponent will have to react to what you do after you reset them as they come down from the air.

Can you explain what frame rate means? I can guess that it deals with the speed of the characters attack, but what is it measured in, seconds?

Can you explain what frame rate means? I can guess that it deals with the speed of the characters attack, but what is it measured in, seconds?
frame rate is 60 frames/second for MK9. a 7 frame move takes 7/60ths of a second, (and a 60 frame move would take one second, but I don't think there's anything that slow in this game).

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
what about the term commentators use on streams such as "oki" and "reset"?
'Oki' is short for Okizeme or Wake-up game in English. It's like a guessing game that you play when you or your opponent is on the ground. If you're on the ground and you guess right about what your opponent is going to do, then you might be able to stand up without taking any damage. If you guess wrong, then you will take damage and might be back on the ground again. Of course, it isn't just a simple guessing game, there are strategies involved as well.

A 'reset' is when you put your opponent into an air borne state and then hit them with a move to make them "reset" out of the combo instead of ending the combo with a standard finisher. Resets are used to start mix up games because the opponent will have to react to what you do after you reset them as they come down from the air.

Updated OP.

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
what is njp?
NJP stands for "Neutral Jump Punch". It's that universal pop-up attack, which you just have to press either :fp or :bp after a vertical jump :)u) to send your opponent to the air.

I think this should be added to the first post. And also this:
JIP/JPS: Stands for "Jump In Punch"/"Jump Punch Starter". It's the attack done by pressing :fp or :bp in the air after a back or forward jump. If succesfuly hit, it can lead you to any combo.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This thread needs a Buff. There is a lot of terminology to be explained and translated.
And some one please explain me what the heck is Bread and Butter, because i eat this everyday on the mourning meals xD

This thread needs a Buff. There is a lot of terminology to be explained and translated.
And some one please explain me what the heck is Bread and Butter, because i eat this everyday on the mourning meals xD
BnB are like basic combos, or air juggles with your character. Bread and butter is an easy to make, and BnB combos are easy to do for beginners like myself. :)

Hi, I'm very new in this type of game (fighting games) and I wonder how a "cancell" works. Many of the combo list says "~" or "x" and (as your post says) thats cancell.

But what cancell a "combo" or a "special move" means? How can I cancell a "special move" or the "middle of a combo"?

Thank you.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Some moves can be canceled early by inputting a new move before the first move is done. A simple example is doing scorpion's 1,1, then immediately input the b,b,1 for the spear to 'cancel' the 1,1 animation. Canceling a move with another move means you get to it faster, rather than waiting for the first move to be complete. Some moves can be canceled with specials, others with a dash (f,f).

Pick a character, read up on the simplest combos, ask questions if you get stuck... And have fun :)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Johnny2d

Canceling a special can be different. To cancel Skarlets dagger, you input the d,f,1, and hold the 1 once you press it, then dash forward to cancel it before you release 1. It will cancel before the second dagger comes out. Most of the cancel specials are this way, rain's roundhouse, jax's ground pound, etc.

Try it, its fun!

There are also a couple normals that cancel this way, johnny cage has a charge punch, ermac too.

Johnny2d

Canceling the middle of the combo I'm guessing you are seeing a normal that cancels into a special, or a dash after a normal. Try stuff and watch videos.

Ty for the answer!

But I'm having some problems here. I'm trying to cancell Kitanas fan's. How they work?

And, other things: In the moves list of the characters there are no "cancells". How you find them? For example: Mileena. She has any cancell move?

Ty very much, I'm new in this things, sorry.

What ARE fuzzy guards or blocks? I keep hearing them in commentary...
A fuzzy guard is when you switch from blocking low to high fast enough so that your character appears to be crouch-blocking an overhead, when you are actually blocking standing. Same goes for blocking high to low.

It can also mean blocking an overhead or low mixup on reaction.