What's new

Jax Question and Answer thread

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
In my personal experience I struggle against Sonya and Sektor. I reckon those are his two worst matchups, but other potentially bad matchups are; Cage, Sindel, and Raiden.

I have very little experience fighting the DLC characters though.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
In my personal experience I struggle against Sonya and Sektor. I reckon those are his two worst matchups, but other potentially bad matchups are; Cage, Sindel, and Raiden.

I have very little experience fighting the DLC characters though.
Sonya vs. Jax isn't bad. It's even. Sektor isn't that bad either. Jax rapes him. the only shitty matchups for him Cage, Raiden, and sometimes KL. KL is annoying, but manger able. And Sindel is free as well. Jax has so many ways to rape her.

EDIT: Mileena is a hard match up for Jax. She is annoying.

Beginner0k_TwM

https://www.twitch.tv/beginner0k_twm
I'm sorry, but my question of the multi-grab can somebody answer, or no one knows of good players, the answer is

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Sonya vs. Jax isn't bad. It's even. Sektor isn't that bad either. Jax rapes him. the only shitty matchups for him Cage, Raiden, and sometimes KL. KL is annoying, but manger able. And Sindel is free as well. Jax has so many ways to rape her.

EDIT: Mileena is a hard match up for Jax. She is annoying.
Sektor can iatu on reaction to anything you do at range, and once you finally get in you have to be extremely careful in how you pressure because of his low hitbox. Thankfully he has no armour moves so he's pretty free on wakeup, and his up missiles can be beaten by a gp afaik. It's not incredibly bad, but I think it's harder for Jax than it is for Sektor.

Sonya is definitely not a 5-5, I cant stress how bad this is for Jax, he has nothing on her. If you make one bad decision you're losing 45+% of your life, and there are a lot of bad decisions to make. There is no proper way of her approaching her, any attempts to zone get blown up since she can punish gps and ews from nearly fullscreen with her dive kick. On the off chance you do get something going her, shes another low hitbox character that can blow you up for using f4. I dont see how you can think Cage is a bad matchup and Sonya isn't.

Also Jax blows Sindel up on paper, but shes impossibly hard to get a hold of. Like I said though, it's probably just my lack of experience as to why I find it hard.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I'm sorry, but my question of the multi-grab can somebody answer, or no one knows of good players, the answer is
Multi grab inputs are:

1+3 (to throw)
1+4 (during second slam) adds 2%
2+3 (during third slam) adds 2%
2+4 (during fourth slam)
1+2+3+4 (during fifth slam) adds 2% and calls the opponent ugly :D

CD jr

Noob
for the whole match up list i have to keep playing the game for at least 3 more months but i can say that raiden and skarlet are definitely jax worst matchups.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
for the whole match up list i have to keep playing the game for at least 3 more months but i can say that raiden and skarlet are definitely jax worst matchups.
Do you mind if I ask who you play against who uses Skarlett? I dont have much experience against her, but she has given me a fair bit of trouble in the few amount of times I've fought her. She's a very under rated character.

CD jr

Noob
Do you mind if I ask who you play against who uses Skarlett? I dont have much experience against her, but she has given me a fair bit of trouble in the few amount of times I've fought her. She's a very under rated character.
reo was using her for like two weeks sometime ago even though he wasnt using her to her full pontential i could tell that if he was it will be really hard for me to win with jax

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Sektor can iatu on reaction to anything you do at range, and once you finally get in you have to be extremely careful in how you pressure because of his low hitbox. Thankfully he has no armour moves so he's pretty free on wakeup, and his up missiles can be beaten by a gp afaik. It's not incredibly bad, but I think it's harder for Jax than it is for Sektor.

Sonya is definitely not a 5-5, I cant stress how bad this is for Jax, he has nothing on her. If you make one bad decision you're losing 45+% of your life, and there are a lot of bad decisions to make. There is no proper way of her approaching her, any attempts to zone get blown up since she can punish gps and ews from nearly fullscreen with her dive kick. On the off chance you do get something going her, shes another low hitbox character that can blow you up for using f4. I dont see how you can think Cage is a bad matchup and Sonya isn't.

Also Jax blows Sindel up on paper, but shes impossibly hard to get a hold of. Like I said though, it's probably just my lack of experience as to why I find it hard.
The reason I don't think Sonya is a bad match up for Jax is because I can stuff cartwheel with gotcha grab. And I also know I don't get blown up close. It's a fair fight. The reason why I think Cage is a bad match up, but Sonya isn't because......CAGE is all block stings. BTw, vs. low hitbox characters I suggest we us 1,2, dash punch to get them into the corner to make them block f413. If I recall every character is jail in the corner if they block f413. So I suggest you make that a apart of your game plan against those characters.

Vs. Sektor

Good points, but I can punish every teleport uppercut for free. I can eat those his missile and flamethrower( which is scarier than his shitty uppercut). And once again I think Jax can just school this guy up close.

Vs. Skarlet

With what I saw in tom brady's videos about Skarlet. You guys might be right. That pressure isn't good for Jax at all! But we might be able to blow her up with energy wave.

Beginner0k_TwM

https://www.twitch.tv/beginner0k_twm
Multi grab inputs are:

1+3 (to throw)
1+4 (during second slam) adds 2%
2+3 (during third slam) adds 2%
2+4 (during fourth slam)
1+2+3+4 (during fifth slam) adds 2% and calls the opponent ugly :D
you are doing this Multi-Grab, where there Input window?I have never failed, there may be something else to press.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
The reason I don't think Sonya is a bad match up for Jax is because I can stuff cartwheel with gotcha grab. And I also know I don't get blown up close. It's a fair fight. The reason why I think Cage is a bad match up, but Sonya isn't because......CAGE is all block stings. BTw, vs. low hitbox characters I suggest we us 1,2, dash punch to get them into the corner to make them block f413. If I recall every character is jail in the corner if they block f413. So I suggest you make that a apart of your game plan against those characters.

Vs. Sektor

Good points, but I can punish every teleport uppercut for free. I can eat those his missile and flamethrower( which is scarier than his shitty uppercut). And once again I think Jax can just school this guy up close.

Vs. Skarlet

With what I saw in tom brady's videos about Skarlet. You guys might be right. That pressure isn't good for Jax at all! But we might be able to blow her up with energy wave.
The fact you can gotcha grab cartwheel doesn't really mean much, it's helpful but very situational, I dont see it being a huge game changer. Sonya is just as much block strings as cage is too, she has some really dumb stuff up close, I'd say shes worse than cage in that department because there's a lot more you have to respect. How will 12 dash punch help? That entire string hits high.

When you say you can punish his teleport uppercut, do you mean on block? Good Sektor players aren't going to randomly throw out teleports for you to punish. Up close remember that a lot of Jax' strings get interupted by fast jabs and Sektor's fastest one leads to hugely damaging combos too. I dont mind getting in too much, but staying in requires a lot of good guesses and mind fuckery.

joe250

Noob
How do you do the bionic arm EX into a powerslam

The tilte says it all, how do you make the EX bionic arm into a powerslam

man...that Jax corner reset is no joke. After the F4,1,3 landing that D1 is random for me...do you mash it out or just time it perfectly. Then after you catch the D1, you go into the standing 1,1 and the 1,2 into the elbow smash. I mean, I've gotten it a few times, but I just need to practice harder I guess.

Theme

Noob
This might have already been answered in this thread somewhere, but since theres a lot of pages, I'll just ask it again, if already asked:

Im starting to look into playing a bit of Jax, and any combos I find start with his ground pound. Jax also have a 2,F2,B1 launcher (I think) but is that even a launcher? I am not very good with carrying people with just the basic normals of 1 and 2. But besides that, is there any other way for Jax to launch someone into the air or at least allow him for a combo of at least 30?

This might have already been answered in this thread somewhere, but since theres a lot of pages, I'll just ask it again, if already asked:

Im starting to look into playing a bit of Jax, and any combos I find start with his ground pound. Jax also have a 2,F2,B1 launcher (I think) but is that even a launcher? I am not very good with carrying people with just the basic normals of 1 and 2. But besides that, is there any other way for Jax to launch someone into the air or at least allow him for a combo of at least 30?
I don't think anyone even uses that string. I have a really good jax and I never use it. I don't think I have ever seen CDjr or Tyrant use it either.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
man...that Jax corner reset is no joke. After the F4,1,3 landing that D1 is random for me...do you mash it out or just time it perfectly. Then after you catch the D1, you go into the standing 1,1 and the 1,2 into the elbow smash. I mean, I've gotten it a few times, but I just need to practice harder I guess.
You have to wait a second before you pres the d1. If Jax just crouches then you did it too early.

Outside of the corner his only true launchers are Ground Pounds and NJP. 2f2b1 can be followed up with air gotcha, its very situational, but can be used if you're in the corner and you want to put the opponent in it. Personally, I rarely ever use it.

mekane

Noob
Outside of the corner his only true launchers are Ground Pounds and NJP. 2f2b1 can be followed up with air gotcha, its very situational, but can be used if you're in the corner and you want to put the opponent in it. Personally, I rarely ever use it.
I don't understand why more people don't use 2 F2 B1 AirGotcha as a punisher mid screen. It does a lot more damage than F4 1 3 which I see a lot of people use as punishers. Can someone explain this to me? Do you like F4 1 3 for the mid ground pound on wakeup opportunity? It seems like that move isn't very good now that there is an extra frames on wakeup, can't the opponent just jump on wakeup and not get hit, or am I timing it wrong? anyways, I'll go for the extra initial damage every time.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I don't understand why more people don't use 2 F2 B1 AirGotcha as a punisher mid screen. It does a lot more damage than F4 1 3 which I see a lot of people use as punishers. Can someone explain this to me? Do you like F4 1 3 for the mid ground pound on wakeup opportunity? It seems like that move isn't very good now that there is an extra frames on wakeup, can't the opponent just jump on wakeup and not get hit, or am I timing it wrong? anyways, I'll go for the extra initial damage every time.
I never really go for f413 much, only on block. I much prefer the options you get when you leave the string at f41, because you get another guarenteed f4 (the opponent can block it). Once they start respecting that you can do all sorts of stuff like throws, cross ups, other strings, basic mind play really. f4 is 5 frames faster than standing 2 also, so for punishing things like Reptile's dash it's much more reliable.

If you want raw damage then 2f2b1xxAGG is probably your best bet though, it causes an untechable knockdown which a lot of people dont take advantage of. You have to be aware of your position on screen though, I would only use this around the centre of the screen or if my back is near the corner.

Well, what I like to do is make them guess on wakeup. It works good too. After the F4,1,3 you can do your mid ground pound and if they don't jump, obviously the ground pound launches them and you can dash in for your combo. So the next time I do the F4,1,3 this time I will do the ground pound, but I will cancel out of it and jump kick and air throw them in the air. Now they have to guess as to what you are gonna do. Sometime they will try and NJP after the F4,1,3 thinking that it will beat the ground pound and the jump kick will be to far away to hit them, so I will sometime cancel the ground pound and go into a dash punch.

Oh yeah, OmegaK makes a great point. Instead of always going for F4,1,3, I like to drop the 3 and do F4,1, elbow smash. Because if you constantly do F4,1,3, they can just block low and it will never hit. Well if you throw in the elbow smash, they can't block that low and it is a mix-up that they have to be thinking about.

mekane

Noob
I never really go for f413 much, only on block. I much prefer the options you get when you leave the string at f41, because you get another guarenteed f4 (the opponent can block it). Once they start respecting that you can do all sorts of stuff like throws, cross ups, other strings, basic mind play really. f4 is 5 frames faster than standing 2 also, so for punishing things like Reptile's dash it's much more reliable.

If you want raw damage then 2f2b1xxAGG is probably your best bet though, it causes an untechable knockdown which a lot of people dont take advantage of. You have to be aware of your position on screen though, I would only use this around the centre of the screen or if my back is near the corner.
A lot of moves are punishable by 2 f2 b1 AGG that I only see punished by F4 1 3 even by tournament players.

How do you try to take advantage of this untechable knockdown? cross over?

Theme

Noob
Another question:

I noticed Jax's standard grab does only 8% damage. I know you can manually add more hits to it to equal 13% damage. What I am asking is how to do that? thanks :)