What's new

Jax Pre-Release Discussion Thread

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Kinda disappointed his new 221122 string isn’t part of his presets but no big deal. Curious as to what Briggs Barricade is.

Who ever said Jax was top 10 in MkX.Please Jax is so difficult to use compared to all the other characters Every try especially online to hit a 40 percent mid screen combo with him.I see pro players drop his combos all the time especially on the 12 overhead dash punch run forwad 12 11 12 gotcha grab is difficult even for pro players and dont even try it online if you have a shitty connection.I love Jax he was my main in MK9 and I was beast with him.I hoping with the run button gone that Jax will have more realiable combos especially online and easier execution not that I cant play MKX Jax just he harder to use then alot of the character in MKX!!

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Who ever said Jax was top 10 in MkX.Please Jax is so difficult to use compared to all the other characters Every try especially online to hit a 40 percent mid screen combo with him.I see pro players drop his combos all the time especially on the 12 overhead dash punch run forwad 12 11 12 gotcha grab is difficult even for pro players and dont even try it online if you have a shitty connection.I love Jax he was my main in MK9 and I was beast with him.I hoping with the run button gone that Jax will have more realiable combos especially online and easier execution not that I cant play MKX Jax just he harder to use then alot of the character in MKX!!
I never had a problem with his Bnbs online after the netcode change.

Mid screen ones.So you never miss a mid screen combo you I hit a extra 1 or nothing comes out when I do the over head run forward 12 11 foward gochta gra

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
What are u talking about, there is nothing exceptionally hard about his midscreen combos. Its a simple run cancel.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Here you go Jax mains!!! This'll make it easier for you guys to see the frame data!!!

Enjoy!!!! :D:D

And btw, holy shit, this guy has +frames and overheads all over the place.
He also has a 9 frame launching knee mid that goes pretty far.

He also has a SAFE LAUNCHING OVERHEAD SPECIAL that leads into full combo. If you guys don't think this character is good after seeing that, I don't know what to tell you lol.

Last edited:

JWolf

Noob
Here you go Jax mains!!! This'll make it easier for you guys to see the frame data!!!

Enjoy!!!! :D:D

And btw, holy shit, this guy has +frames and overheads all over the place.
He also has a 9 frame launching knee mid that goes pretty far.

He also has a SAFE LAUNCHING OVERHEAD SPECIAL that leads into full combo. If you guys don't think this character is good after seeing that, I don't know what to tell you lol.

Yoo his framedata loooks fiiiire, do you also have his cosmetic stuff?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
What are Jax’s current anti-air options?

Also, are there any opinions on his tournament variations as they stand??
1) As far as his anti-air options, his D2 seems like it's one of the better ones because, similar to MKX, the hitbox hits behind him too it seems. In his second variation that isn't listed here (the one with the command grab/anti-air grab/string extender overhead) he has the special move anti-air/air-grab special.

2)
Grinnin' Barrett (Ripped/Duck and Weave Stance/Barricade):

This is his anti-zoning variation.
The Duck and Weave stance crouches under high projectiles and advances you forward so it's a great way of getting in. From the stance itself he could mixup relatively safely too which seems really strong.

The BIG thing here is Ripped though.
It's a safe overhead special move that could be used anytime during a string or in the neutral and it'll lead to a full combo. Sure, it's 29 frame startup so people will be able to react to it, but they'd have to be looking for it. On hit, I imagine he could tack this on at the end of some strings for a launch combo too.

Grinnin Barrett is going to do some SERIOUS damage safely, which is really dangerous.

Briggs Barricade cancels out projectiles and stores them as heat too. This plus the Duck and Weave stance make it a lot easier to deal with zoners.

Hunker Down (Quad Grab/Anti-Air-Grab and Air-Grab/String Extender Overhead):

If a Jax player is confident enough to get in on zoning without using Grinnin' Barrett, then I think they should definitely go with Hunker Down instead imo. The damage and utility you get from the command grab and anti-air grabs on this variation is ridiculous.

• With heated arms amplified Quad Grab does almost 30% which is crazy for a command grab by itself.
  • With so many moves that are + on block, having a command grab this strong is going to make Jax possibly the scariest character to have in your face.
  • He could probably tick grab from D1 and D12 just in like MKX. This is just flat out crazy in a game where high damaging mixups aren't as common.
  • He gets crazy damage off his anti-air grab and air-grabs.
  • The String Extender Overhead, while not being an actual special move, brings TONS of utility because of the additional mixup tool that looks safe on block.
Jax is looking reeeally good. I think his biggest weakness will be the fact he will always have to be the aggressor vs strong zoning, but if someone doesn't mind being patient and always walking your opponent down, this character is a fucking monster. Thankfully he has great corner carry with Gotcha Grab.

Thanks, and where is his Command Grab data?
You'd have to ask in the "Got it early, anything you want to know" thread. The video I got this frame data from only showed the first variation.

Yoo his framedata loooks fiiiire, do you also have his cosmetic stuff?
This is all I could screenshot from a stream I saw of some dude yesterday:

Last edited:
so the groundpound is still a unblockable. havent seen him doing it out of the air so far...
You cannot groundpound in the air. Not even when slotting the Ground Shatter ability.

I noticed this as well, I don’t remember if it’s a base kit move or not though.
The grenade launcher moves "Thumper"/db2 and "Up Thumper"/db2u as well as their amplified versions are both base kit moves.

Curious as to what Briggs Barricade is.
It destroys/parries incoming projectiles and builds heat for one heat missile. Two heat missiles when amplified.

Thanks, and where is his Command Grab data?
Quad Grab, dbf1
9s 2a 30r +18 (kd)
1 hit: 70 damage
2 hits: 130
3 hits (half offensive gauge): 190
4 hits (full offensive gauge): 230
Krushing Blow if all follow-ups performed at last possible moment: 400
Heat adds damage, obviously. Fully heated Krushing Blow: 455.

1) As far as his anti-air options, his D2 seems like it's one of the better ones because, similar to MKX, the hitbox hits behind him too it seems. In his second variation that isn't listed here (the one with the command grab/anti-air grab/string extender overhead) he has the special move anti-air/air-grab special.

2)
Grinnin' Barrett (Ripped/Duck and Weave Stance/Barricade):

This is his anti-zoning variation.
The Duck and Weave stance crouches under high projectiles and advances you forward so it's a great way of getting in. From the stance itself he could mixup relatively safely too which seems really strong.

The BIG thing here is Ripped though.
It's a safe overhead special move that could be used anytime during a string or in the neutral and it'll lead to a full combo. Sure, it's 29 frame startup so people will be able to react to it, but they'd have to be looking for it. On hit, I imagine he could tack this on at the end of some strings for a launch combo too.

Grinnin Barrett is going to do some SERIOUS damage safely, which is really dangerous.

Briggs Barricade cancels out projectiles and stores them as heat too. This plus the Duck and Weave stance make it a lot easier to deal with zoners.

Hunker Down (Quad Grab/Anti-Air-Grab and Air-Grab/String Extender Overhead):

If a Jax player is confident enough to get in on zoning without using Grinnin' Barrett, then I think they should definitely go with Hunker Down instead imo. The damage and utility you get from the command grab and anti-air grabs on this variation is ridiculous.

• With heated arms amplified Quad Grab does almost 30% which is crazy for a command grab by itself.
  • With so many moves that are + on block, having a command grab this strong is going to make Jax possibly the scariest character to have in your face.
  • He could probably tick grab from D1 and D12 just in like MKX. This is just flat out crazy in a game where high damaging mixups aren't as common.
  • He gets crazy damage off his anti-air grab and air-grabs.
  • The String Extender Overhead, while not being an actual special move, brings TONS of utility because of the additional mixup tool that looks safe on block.
Jax is looking reeeally good. I think his biggest weakness will be the fact he will always have to be the aggressor vs strong zoning, but if someone doesn't mind being patient and always walking your opponent down, this character is a fucking monster. Thankfully he has great corner carry with Gotcha Grab.

You'd have to ask in the "Got it early, anything you want to know" thread. The video I got this frame data from only showed the first variation.

This is all I could screenshot from a stream I saw of some dude yesterday:

Dude thank you for such a thorough response! Awesome info.

Only follow up question is when using the grab variation, does his combo potential become limited compared to the duck/weave one? I heard the devs mention during his Kombat Kast that when using the grab variation he loses a lot of that potential and was just curious if you found it harder to find stylish stuff when using it. Thanks again

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Dude thank you for such a thorough response! Awesome info.

Only follow up question is when using the grab variation, does his combo potential become limited compared to the duck/weave one? I heard the devs mention during his Kombat Kast that when using the grab variation he loses a lot of that potential and was just curious if you found it harder to find stylish stuff when using it. Thanks again
I think these are questions for @esports1452 . I don't have the game yet, I've just been studying vids online like a maniac.

I'm actually not sure if his Air-grab-Amplified leads into full combo. Either way though, I think even without combos that Hunker Down will do more damage because of all the crazy ass tools.

Only follow up question is when using the grab variation, does his combo potential become limited compared to the duck/weave one? I heard the devs mention during his Kombat Kast that when using the grab variation he loses a lot of that potential and was just curious if you found it harder to find stylish stuff when using it.
"Hunker Down" provides three throw special moves and three throw enders to strings, none of which increases "combo potential". So by definition, it is limited compared to "Grinnin' Barrett", which offers a launcher and a stance (with its own launching option).
Especially considering the lack of grappler options in this launch roster of 50 tournament variations, the choice with Jax seems quite clear and is probably not too dependent on "combo potential".
"Hunker Down" for the only tournament variation in this version of MK11 where every single element boosts the grappling toolset and provides nothing else.
"Grinnin' Barrett" otherwise.

I'm actually not sure if his Air-grab-Amplified leads into full combo.
Neither "Burning Hammer"/bf4 nor "(Air) Burning Hammer"/d1+3 provide combo potential in their amplified versions. They both add 50 damage to the base 120.