What's new

Jax Matchup Discussion Thread

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Cool. that's one match up resolve. Now to handle the rest. To be honest with you, your main concerns should be the top tiers or any character with a teleport for Jax.

Whats the best way to take on a reptile with Jax? I get my ass straight handed to me every time. I know you block his main bnb with standing block but then they start rushing with elbow into the turn around acid ball. Any tips on this and the whole match up?

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
I think I got a video of Tyrant fighting a Reptile in the video thread. If not. I'll post it. That's a hard match up for me too.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Reptile-Jax is in Jax's favor...it's like 6:4. It's difficult for Reptile to zone because of ground pound and Reptile's projectiles start up too slow.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Reptile-Jax is in Jax's favor...it's like 6:4. It's difficult for Reptile to zone because of ground pound and Reptile's projectiles start up too slow.
You need a hug? I think CDjr pound you too hard my friend. Don't worry, I'll be your shoulder to cry on.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Nah, it's not that. Reptile legitimately has a ton of difficulty zoning Jax.

Fatality XBL

Red-eye Ragin'
Honestly how would Jax have the adv. vs Reptile, lol. You ground pound once and Reptile's dash bulldozers you. EX dash punch armor works vs forceballs but yeah, 5-5 matchup.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Honestly how would Jax have the adv. vs Reptile, lol. You ground pound once and Reptile's dash bulldozers you. EX dash punch armor works vs forceballs but yeah, 5-5 matchup.
But remember my friend THTB is one of the best reptile. To get a response like that is gold. So, let's not spoil it.

Force balls take a long time to finish... If he tries starting with a slow force ball, you have time to pull off a ground pound, and if you're looking for it, you can punish it on reaction and he won't be able to move out of the way in time. The fast force balls are a bit more difficult to deal with because if you try to punish them on reaction with ground pound, you have to cancel it or get hit by the forceball. Most Reptile's don't start with fast force ball, though, or at least not the one's I've fought. But Jax still has the option of playing a bit like Sub-Zero and trying to put the ground pound on the screen simultaneously or just before the force ball, except with the added safety of being able to cancel it. And about you getting punished by dashes when you try to ground pound, you should at least be able do one early enough to hit Reptile out of his dash if he tries to dash at you from full-screen to punish you or avoid the ground pound; you'd just have to predict it and lead the ground pound.

I get what THTB is saying; I haven't exactly faced the best Reptiles, but I've never had any issues with Reptile's force balls; in fact, I usually end up outzoning them >_<. Jax can no longer practically follow-up full-screen ground pounds without meter anymore, but one connected full-screen ground pound still does a solid 15% and gives you time to start another, so Reptile starts trying to move in. With the ability to cancel or lead the ground pound, I feel that Jax is at an advantage at this point. It's when Reptiles start acid spitting repeatedly from across the screen that Jax can't zone with ground pounds and energy waves, but it's not hard at all to duck under acid spits and get close enough for Reptile to feel threatened by dash punches and either try to either move in or back up more. I'd say either option is good for Jax. Jax has a solid close-range game and anti-air game and if Reptile keeps backing up, he'll reach the corner, where Jax excels. As long as Jax doesn't get hit by a dash/slide at this point, I feel he has the advantage. Even if Jax does get hit by a dash, Reptile can't start zoning at that point; normal dash punch's wake-up invulnerability passes right through any force balls Reptile tries to do on his wake-up and he cant back up enough to get to a safe range; he either tries to apply close-range pressure to Jax on wake-up, which Jax is quite good at dealing with, or plays the same game again. Blocked dashes can be punished by 1,2,3 xx Gotcha Grab, which deals 18% and leaves Jax neutral on block, so he can start pressure.

That's how I feel about it anyway... maybe I just need to face better Reptiles.

Fatality XBL

Red-eye Ragin'
Good stuff BigDaddy, I never thought about ground pounding on reaction to force balls. I always just thought "oh derp forceball, nothing i can do but block or try and jump over it". No wonder I always get blown up full screen trying to half-wittedly jump forceballs, lol i take back my naivety about this.

Also, THANK YOU for all your insight on this matchup. Even little things like regular wake-up dash punch will go through forceballs. But what I am thinking is that Reptile will obviously eventually read your ground pounds and dash you on reaction from full screen, BUT then Jax can mixup with GP cancels and dash punches. Basically, Reptile can't forceball Jax without being punished or traded with. This is why I'm still thinking 5-5, but 6-4 definitely doesn't seem out of the question.

Does anyone know what happens with dash punch vs. dash at the same time? I'm 99% sure they go through each other but I haven't tested it.

I'm not sure how I feel about it saying it's 6:4, but I can see Reptile having difficulty zoning. Thing is, Reptile's close-range game is solid, too. Though I've never felt like I was at a disadvantage against his close-range game, but again, maybe I just need to fight better Reptiles. And the Reptile's I've faced usually learned that zoning doesn't work after a couple Ground Pounds and they start fighting at close-range, at which point I stop trying to Ground Pound for the most part... I only really do that at full-screen, when I'm trying to predict Force Balls and am at a range where I can cancel into Energy Wave, Dash Punch, or jump for safety if he starts dashing in. Trying to Ground Pound on his wake-up doesn't turn out well; Reptile's Elbow Dash beats all Jax's options off cancelling it.

Maybe you should try getting CD Jr or THTB to explain the match-up better... they'd certainly have a better idea of the match-up at their level.

Yeah, Dash Punch and Elbow Dash pass through each other. It's not a particularly uncommon occurrence for me.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Raiden is such a hard matchup for jax, starting to annoy me. Kano too, I need some magic info on how to fight him.

I main Reptile, and I have to say Jax is a pain in the ass for reptile.
Reptile has a solid close range, this is true. But dash distance is where reptile shines, this is where he has option to force balls, spits, and dash in pressure without having to worry about jump ins. The problem is that Jax could do ground pound and dash punch which dominate Reptile's zone. Which leave the only option of reptile is dashing. BUT dashing will still lose to dash punch of jax, and dash punch is safe while reptile's dash is not. Close range, jax would totally dominate reptile. jax's pressure close range is semi johnny cage like.
Defiantly a 4-6 jax

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Reptile slaps Jax about a bitch and I refuse to believe otherwise. Jaxs ground pounds are better than his forceballs, but there's acid spit to deal with too, get jax to respect the acid spit and he wont be going for ground pounds. Up close the only thing Jax has is his f413 string, and thats pretty risky since reptile can interupt after a blocked f4 and gain advantage. Every other string can be interrupted so easily with reptile's dash . On wakeup, Jax can either block or go for an EX overhead smash, those are the 2 options he has because Reptile's d4 is one of the best in the game.

As a Jax player, I hate Reptile with a passion.
As a Reptile player, Jax is one of my easiest matchups.

Just my two cents.

Hitbox_Tyrant

"R.T.S.D" -Alex Valle
Reptile slaps Jax about a bitch and I refuse to believe otherwise. Jaxs ground pounds are better than his forceballs, but there's acid spit to deal with too, get jax to respect the acid spit and he wont be going for ground pounds. Up close the only thing Jax has is his f413 string, and thats pretty risky since reptile can interupt after a blocked f4 and gain advantage. Every other string can be interrupted so easily with reptile's dash . On wakeup, Jax can either block or go for an EX overhead smash, those are the 2 options he has because Reptile's d4 is one of the best in the game.

As a Jax player, I hate Reptile with a passion.
As a Reptile player, Jax is one of my easiest matchups.

Just my two cents.
Reptiles normals are slow as hell, a good rushdown jax can overcome a reptile..all he can do is pray for a dash to land lol

mekane

Noob
Sub Zero:

this still seems like a tough matchup because mid screen you can't risk throwing out projectiles, he can react with slide or xray. its been about a 5-5 for me so far but one problem is I can't seem to keep pressure on him because he always has a damn ice clone out... so i'm looking for better ways to keep pressure on him.

I'm looking for the best options vs. his wakeup possibilities.

One thing you shouldn't do is try to jump on him... while that beats a normal ice clone, you'll fall right on top of a tech roll ice clone wakeup.

after a f4, 1, 3 hits and knocks him back, i immediately dash forward to a point where i'm right on top of him... this way his ice clone wakeup will break, and i have some other good options if i can predict what he will do:

mid ground pound beats tech roll / tech roll ice clone

block obviously beats wake-up slide

after a f4, 1, 3 hits you can also start a mid ground pound to bait out a slide wakeup, cancel into a back dash, back jump, and then kick him out of his slide.

Any other advice vs. sub zero? is there a way to keep pressure on him? ice clone is so damn annoying.

LEGEND

YES!
Sub Zero:

this still seems like a tough matchup because mid screen you can't risk throwing out projectiles, he can react with slide or xray. its been about a 5-5 for me so far but one problem is I can't seem to keep pressure on him because he always has a damn ice clone out... so i'm looking for better ways to keep pressure on him.

I'm looking for the best options vs. his wakeup possibilities.

One thing you shouldn't do is try to jump on him... while that beats a normal ice clone, you'll fall right on top of a tech roll ice clone wakeup.

after a f4, 1, 3 hits and knocks him back, i immediately dash forward to a point where i'm right on top of him... this way his ice clone wakeup will break, and i have some other good options if i can predict what he will do:

mid ground pound beats tech roll / tech roll ice clone

block obviously beats wake-up slide

after a f4, 1, 3 hits you can also start a mid ground pound to bait out a slide wakeup, cancel into a back dash, back jump, and then kick him out of his slide.

Any other advice vs. sub zero? is there a way to keep pressure on him? ice clone is so damn annoying.
the best i can tell, Jax v Sub is 7-3 in jax's favor. I can't think of any advantage sub zero has, its an uphill battle the whole time for Subz

as long as you don't mindlessly rush in the whole time you should be fine.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
The only Jades I've played are Thead's and Glue's. Does anyone actually have much experience with this matchup?

I agree that he dominates sub, but I'm not sure if I'd say 7-3 just yet. I'm still struggling with reptile too, I find it so hard to pressure him. It's annoying because hes my sub, and I've been playing him since release so surely I should know is weaknesses. Ground pounding on forceballs just isn't enough, hes got a lot of other stuff that hinders jax IMO.