What's new

Jax Matchup Discussion Thread

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I realize that there might be a matchup thread already in this forum, but the point of this thread is to discuss matchups to make the Matchup Chart as accurate as possible.

The Matchup Chart thread:
http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?3075-Mortal-Kombat-(2011)-Matchup-Chart

When you discuss or list what you think the matchups are, please do so in alphabetical order. Also, they should be listed in either whole numbers or .5 notations.

The current Matchup Chart for Jax is as follows:
5-5 vs Baraka
4-6 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
4-6 vs Cyrax
4-6 vs Ermac
xxx vs Freddy Krueger
5-5 vs Jade
3-7 vs Johnny Cage
4-6 vs Kabal
4-6 vs Kano
xxx vs Kenshi
3-7 vs Kitana
4-6 vs Kung Lao
4-6 vs Liu Kang
4-6 vs Mileena
4-6 vs Nightwolf
4-6 vs Noob Saibot
5-5 vs Quan Chi
3-7 vs Raiden
xxx vs Rain
3-7 vs Reptile
5-5 vs Scorpion
4-6 vs Sektor
4-6 vs Shang Tsung
5-5 vs Sheeva
5-5 vs Sindel
xxx vs Skarlet
5-5 vs Smoke
4-6 vs Sonya Blade
5-5 vs Stryker
5-5 vs Sub-Zero

Agree? Disagree? DISCUSS!

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
I think Jax has the edge in a few of those match ups. BTw, Konqrr...I may seem like a nobody. But I'm SlyCopper23 from youtube. And I'll be going to CH3 this Sat on the 13th. I'll be repping Jax and some Quan Chi. When I get the stream details. Is it ok I send you the link?

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I think Jax has the edge in a few of those match ups. BTw, Konqrr...I may seem like a nobody. But I'm SlyCopper23 from youtube. And I'll be going to CH3 this Sat on the 13th. I'll be repping Jax and some Quan Chi. When I get the stream details. Is it ok I send you the link?
You're going to be on TV? Thats awesome, send me details if I'll be able to view it somehow. I live in Arizona.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Awesome, I wanna see your Jax kick ass.
HEY! I'm not like Tyrant or Cd Jr. but I think I can kick some ass. I'll do my best. I got the kool man( Quan Chi) backing me up. So, I should be fine. And before anyone asks. Yes, Devildigimon and 16 bit will be there. I mean why wouldn't they. We're all from Illinois.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Sorry Konqrr. But yeah some of these should be in his favor. Let me example a few. I would do all the 5s. But it's 2:30 in the morning here.

vs. Sheeva

- Why doesn't he get the edge in this match up? He has better normals and specials. And a better fireball. So a fireball war with her is easy.

My opinion: 6-4 Jax's favor

vs. Jade

-We don't with energy wave often so her glow is useless. U+3 won't keep her back. But her boomerangs are little trouble. Still nothing makes her go even with us, but she has a boomerang and shadow kick you have to watch out for.

My opinion: 5.5-4.5 Jax's favor

Vs. Baraka

- I don't know much about this guy. All I know is that he has pressure traps and is fast as fuck. Also, his specials aren't that great. His xray goes through our energy wave too. Anyone else got more info for this one?

Vs. Sindel

- I call her zoner lite. From what I have seen from Delrich(however you spell it), Cookie, and Jedirobb. All it seems to be is fireballs, a link into scream or hair whip, and that one normal of her I can't think of. Her zoning is diet cola compare to Noob, Shang, and Ermac. What is stopping Jax from giving her a face lift? One word: NOTHING. He is going to bring to pain to the granny of MK.

My opinion: 6-4

Vs. Stryker

-Now I don't need frame data for this guy. I use him for a bit when I was trying to find a third and in story mode. I also watched the Stryker tutorial. His normals are fucking ass. They are all unsafe or most at least. So, it's free damage for life against this guy. But I suggest you watch out for ex roll. You can bait gun shot and grenade with ground pound cancel.

My opinion: 6-4

Any questions or comments? REMEMBERER, I might not be 100% right. This just my opinion.

leek

Noob
Does anyone know if you can air throw Kitana out of her crossover teleport thing? I've tried and tried and tried but cannot get it to work except on the way up or down. I think that sways the match a bit more in her direction because of free escape from pressure.

Fatality XBL

Red-eye Ragin'
Why is the Cage matchup 3-7 ? Based on experience I say 4-6, because of ground pounds and Jax's zoning compared to Cage's.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I think jax has the advantage in the sub match now. I thought it was even pre-patch, but the projectile buff means he can be even safer from longer ranges.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Yes! One of the fucking match ups i hate got better. You nail it right on the head Omega. I hated sitting on my ass waiting for the clone to away.

HateMe!

Noob
vs. Rain - I think it's in Jax favor. f+4,3,1 in corner stuffs even geyser kick. Rain with no meter with Jax up close = Dead.
vs. Noob - I think it's his worst matchup, or I'm just that bad. Upknee counters Jax hard - You can't jump in, it crouches under dash punch and projectile. The only thing that beats it is max range sweep.
vs. Shang Tsung - Same as Rain.

I'll try to write something more complex about Jax vs. JC matchup - My sparing partner mains JC and I have played 500+ Jax vs. JC games.

galindo

Noob
i have trouble against any jax no matter who i use, its just a personal bad match up for me.....
except sektor.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Solid work Omega I like your points.

JC vs. Jax is 6-4 because we win a fireball war against him and all our armor if use right shuts him down, but he can still do hsi shitty frame traps to stop us.

Baraka vs. Jax is 6-4. Jax's favor because he has more useful pokes, he can outzone Baraka. And Baraka really can't shut down Jax.

Jade vs. Jax is 6-4 . Jax's favor because she only has one use boomerang at a distance in less she uses meter for the others, can't keep us out. The godlike AA(U+3) can be duck now. So you shouldn't have problem with this match up.

Freddy vs. Jax is either 5-5 or 6-4 Freddy's favor because his teleport and glove toss. But thanks to the damage nerf he doesn't hurt like hell. Need more testing.

Raiden vs. Jax is 5.5-4.5 Raiden's favor because of teleport and his teleport. That alone can really cause problems for us because of how fast it is. You need to be ready to bait those teleports to have a chance in this match up. When you get that down, you shouldn't have a ton of trouble besides that.

Sub-Zero vs. Jax is 5-5 now because of the buff to energy wave. Yes Sub has got armor on EX slide and it can go full screen, but you can bait that out. Besides, that just be patience and you will smack this fool around like nothing.

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
5-5 vs Baraka (baraka can be hard to approach, full screen ex blade charge means you have to be careful at range too)
5-5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero (The parry is nothing on jax now, it's like a free invite to get some damage)
4-6 vs Cyrax (still an ass to get anything going on)
4-6 vs Ermac (see above)
xxx vs Freddy Krueger (no one plays freddy lol)
6-4 vs Jade (Jade will only keep jax out for so long, once he gets in it's pretty much over for her)
4-6 vs Johnny Cage (never understood why this matchup was 7-3 previously, and jax has some tasty new tools at his disposal to keep the pressure on at distance)
4-6 vs Kabal (new projectile barely helps, however full armour on EX dash punch makes me happy, matchup doesn't change much imo)
4-6 vs Kano (if anything this is 5.5-4.5 now, but I'm allergic to decimals)
4-6 vs Kenshi (Kenshi is a total bitch to get in on, and can easily throw you out again once you do manage to get it, you have to be extremely careful)
4-6 vs Kitana (Quciker projectile fuck yeah)
5-5 vs Kung Lao (Shittier low hat fuck yeah)
4-6 vs Liu Kang (His fireballs are an ass to deal with and hes faster up close)
4-6 vs Mileena (Slut)
4-6 vs Nightwolf (Not sure about this one really, might be 5-5 but I don't play enough nightwolfs to know, so I didn't change it)
4-6 vs Noob Saibot (see above)
6-4 vs Quan Chi (Quan doesn't have much on jax, EX sky drop helps him but I don't reckon it was ever going to be enough to keep out those huge metal arms)
3-7 vs Raiden (Need to play some more raidens)
5-5 vs Rain (Not much to say on this, a matchup I'm going to look more into hopefully)
3-7 vs Reptile (Need to play some more Reptiles)
5-5 vs Scorpion (Matchup has barely changed from what I've played so far, remains even)
4-6 vs Sektor (I think the changes to both characters set this in stone as a 6-4 to sektor)
4-6 vs Shang Tsung (Haven't played any shangs since the patch, unsure)
5-5 vs Sheeva (see above)
5-5 vs Sindel (see above)
5-5 vs Skarlet (dagger nerf means she isn't mindless and has to work harder to keep jax out, all of her best strings are slow and she can't do much once jax has her locked down)
5-5 vs Smoke (nothing Jax recieved really helped him in this matchup)
4-6 vs Sonya Blade (faster projectile is nice against her, but she still completely outzones jax and when he gets in, he has to be oh so careful)
5-5 vs Stryker (Dat zoning man, dat zoning)
6-4 vs Sub-Zero (Ground pounds and faster projectile force subby to come into Jax's favourite range)

Ones in yellow are my changes, taking the patch into cosideration. What do you guys think? We need to seriously get some discussion going here.
Really omega i hear what your saying but theres a few problems just a few, you see me play foxy with jax right against cage its aight but against sonya thats a whole different kettle of fish, remember when you said that if he got a launcher he would be overpowered? i dont believe that to be tru hes a lil better now but armour and a slow overhead doesnt help you win against 40+ meterless characters, its still well known that you dont need to fear jax unless your in the corner or in the air!

Ps i would play against you with shang but it would be too much and i would end up being overpowered :)

Can anyone walk me through the matchup with Kung Lao and Raiden? I still have the hardest time with them. I haven't had much match up experience with them since the patch just because its only been out for 2 days on the PSN. I was curious about things like, can Jax gotcha grab or air gotcha grab Kung lao out of his dive kick? And when raiden is teleporting around and poking you, what are you best options to shut him down and punish?

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Can anyone walk me through the matchup with Kung Lao and Raiden? I still have the hardest time with them. I haven't had much match up experience with them since the patch just because its only been out for 2 days on the PSN. I was curious about things like, can Jax gotcha grab or air gotcha grab Kung lao out of his dive kick? And when raiden is teleporting around and poking you, what are you best options to shut him down and punish?
Well for Raiden you just need to try and slow him down with a d1 or f41. Use some tick throws to slow him down and try to trap him in a corner. And for Kl, since Spin is ass you can punish that for free and low hat is a 50/50 now so you have a little more freedom. the two things that kept Jax from doing any real dmg to KL is stings ending with low hat and spin. Lastly, don't jax at KL.

dive kick

even if jax could catch him out of dive kick you dont want to be tryin that, its too fast to counter, the only good way i know to deal with it is to simply block it an punish with full combo.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Nah Baraka is 5-5 imo. If ax gets in Blade spin will get him back out, other than that their pretty even when it comes to frame traps and corner combos etc. Jax's ground pound cancels are his only real advantage, so Id say they are pretty even.