What's new

Jax General Discussion

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Any advice on characters with long reaching buttons? I'm completely stumped on those, f2 has nice range but compared to something like Kabal's b1 it's really stubby.
And guys, what are Jax's AA game like? s1? How good is it?

Last edited:
Any advice on characters with long reaching buttons? I'm completely stumped on those, f2 has nice range but compared to something like Kabal's b1 it's really stubby.
And guys, what are Jax's AA game like? s1? How good is it?
It is good, i am using it all the time, only against baraka kick and kabal jump in punch i use bf4

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Any advice on characters with long reaching buttons?
It's kinda tough for Jax by default. I think HD has it easier with the bf2 command grab to close the gap, but generally being outfootsied by characters is his weakness. You just gotta learn spacing and whiff punish yourself. It's a shame f2 doesnt lead to much as it is his best advancing normal imo

thlityoursloat

kick kick
It’s weird how his only strings that combo in grinning barret are 22 and f33. If f2 combo’d I could see this variation being really solid.
Also is just me or is this character bottom tier in terms of representation? I never ever once saw him in any tournament, not even in pools.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
It’s weird how his only strings that combo in grinning barret are 22 and f33. If f2 combo’d I could see this variation being really solid.
Also is just me or is this character bottom tier in terms of representation? I never ever once saw him in any tournament, not even in pools.
I thought you could use B3 low as a starter

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Oh yes you can. Good one, that can catch people preemptively stand blocking to avoid the f2d1.
The thing with Jax as you fight some really good players - they're not gonna just be blocking all day. A lot of players at an intermediate level do not handle staggers very well and therefore Jax can seem like he's a damn S-tier rushdown powerhouse. At the end of the day has fast mid is punishable on a stagger and f33 having a somewhat long recovery animation which incentivizes interrupts while f2 is just not a very scary move in GB. It's kinda annoying his best advancing normal does not combo into either bf2 amp nor db4 - it makes his footsies even less effective in this variation. Im getting off track here lul.

It's super rare I actually get to pull off b3 outside of some wakeup pressure since it being KINDA slow. I really want more combo routes for this variation.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
The thing with Jax as you fight some really good players - they're not gonna just be blocking all day. A lot of players at an intermediate level do not handle staggers very well and therefore Jax can seem like he's a damn S-tier rushdown powerhouse. At the end of the day has fast mid is punishable on a stagger and f33 having a somewhat long recovery animation which incentivizes interrupts while f2 is just not a very scary move in GB. It's kinda annoying his best advancing normal does not combo into either bf2 amp nor db4 - it makes his footsies even less effective in this variation. Im getting off track here lul.

It's super rare I actually get to pull off b3 outside of some wakeup pressure since it being KINDA slow. I really want more combo routes for this variation.
What's the point of him then? His entire point seems to be staggers with a whole bunch of crappy gimmicky very low reward high risk mixups like f2d4. If I'm going to abuse staggers with a 9f mid then why not just pick wataa man and have actually threatening staggers off of a much better 9f mid?
Jesus, yet another solid character from MKX that I enjoyed playing, butchered.

dungeonsector

AI Fighter
I mean his staggers are different than Kangs in some unique ways though, like the fact that after one gotcha grab you have to guess between throw and mid, and both options are a krushing blow. Also, almost everything Jax does leaves you right next to him again, where he can stagger, throw, or command grab.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
What's the point of him then? His entire point seems to be staggers with a whole bunch of crappy gimmicky very low reward high risk mixups like f2d4. If I'm going to abuse staggers with a 9f mid then why not just pick wataa man and have actually threatening staggers off of a much better 9f mid?
Jesus, yet another solid character from MKX that I enjoyed playing, butchered.
Honestly, I think GB is his counter-zoning variation. D&W actually goes under projectiles and you can launch from it. Plus you got the projectile absorber but it's kinda slow on recovery. It would actually be solid if he had worthwhile damage to compensate for the loss of KB's and how meter intensive this variation is. It's not a particularly scary rushdown variation due to people being able to full combo interrupt db4 ender on block. You can always use Gotcha but unless it's the corner it's not really scary, and the 1 ender is turn-ending, Flawless blockable and just not very rewarding.

HD is still a super solid rushdown variation. I used to really dig GB but the more I use it, and the better my opponents become the glaring weakness just becomes more and more apparent unfortunately

thlityoursloat

kick kick
it just makes sense.

The OH extra hits gives him heat... and the quad grab with duck and weave gives him damage.

And all of htem together just flows. He is still the same dude.... just MORE of that dude.
Imagine if variations in this game weren't such sloppy goop that just split a character in half.
Or better yet, there weren't any variants and characters were just complete from the get go. Sigh.

Can someone help me with the pounded brutality ? do I gotcha while they are on low health? or make the last hit of gotcha the LAST hit of the match ?

I did both and still he punches them away

Can someone help me with the pounded brutality ? do I gotcha while they are on low health? or make the last hit of gotcha the LAST hit of the match ?

I did both and still he punches them away
Just gotta kill or end a killing combo with Gotcha and then HOLD 1 on the last hit. It can be a little fucky sometimes (all of Jax's brutals seem a bit fucky aside from the HD extended string brutal) but you shouldn't have to kill with the very last hit

Last edited:

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
So post patch, outside of heavy zoning,

Just gotta kill or end a killing combo with Gotcha and then HOLD 1 on the last hit. It can be a little fucky sometimes (all of Jax's brutals seem a bit fucky aside from the HD extended string brutal) but you shouldn't have to kill with the very last hit
You dont need to hold 1. Just keep mashing 1,1,1,1,1 and brutality comes out :)