What's new

Jax General Discussion

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I think he's fun. Get an overhead combo opener and a mixup string.
The big deal breaker between Grinnin and Hunker is your automatic 35% once per match KB that quad grab provides. Shit is OP as fuck.
That and it's way easier for HD to heat up his arms. Plus he gains 2 extra KB from it.

@MrArcher15 regarding kitana, I just treat her jump in as part of her strings at this point if I'm not perfectly prepared to anti air or whiff punish.

People have advised me in neutral forward dash duck works against her j2 but it's hard to program in my head to do that.
Ugh I mean every game has character like this, street fighter also had characters where you had to basically take jump ins or at least guess when you had to anti air or not. I’ve just never been a fan haha

Yeah some characters are blessed, but luckily kitana doesn't have hard mix-ups. Decent staggers, but I think Jax will overwhelm her once you block her initial assault.

Also guys is it possible to fuzz Jax’s f2d2 and f2(1+3)? I swear sometimes people are fuzzying it but I’ve tried myself online and I can’t even do it lmao

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Also guys is it possible to fuzz Jax’s f2d2 and f2(1+3)? I swear sometimes people are fuzzying it but I’ve tried myself online and I can’t even do it lmao
Honestly, Jax sweep is really good. I sometimes go for a f2 into sweep, f2 into b2, and throw in some f2d4. It really mixes them up. Im not too fond of the low ender as it's uber punishable, and knockdowns are really just more options for the defender sometimes lul

Honestly, Jax sweep is really good. I sometimes go for a f2 into sweep, f2 into b2, and throw in some f2d4. It really mixes them up. Im not too fond of the low ender as it's uber punishable, and knockdowns are really just more options for the defender sometimes lul
Yeah I’ve been using the f2d4 with no f’s but very very rarely there comes a player that seems to actually be fuzzying. Sure it opens em up to throws and staggers etc but I’ve always just been curious. How does f2 into b2 work? That’s also really punishable

ATIWAB

Noob
Also in the HD var, do guys ever do D1 into Command grab ? or do u go for d12 into it
There's no universally right answer since none of his ticks into command grab are slow enough to truly block confirm. D1 into command grab is a great way to whiff a command grab and get punished, though.

You have to read what the opponent is doing about your D1s/D12s on a per-person basis and then decide if you wanna try to make the read on your next attempt, ie., if they're blocking your D1s and not counter-poking afterwards for an entire round and they block another two in a row in the next round, it's probably safe to try. I personally think it's the worst tick of all of them though, because people that know the MU will often neutral duck after a D1 expecting to punish the D12 (High) or D1 into Gotcha (High) so D1 into QG (High) is just another option countered by it.

The only block confirm I really like into tick throw without knowing the person I'm playing is D3.

ATIWAB

Noob
Yeah I’ve been using the f2d4 with no f’s but very very rarely there comes a player that seems to actually be fuzzying. Sure it opens em up to throws and staggers etc but I’ve always just been curious. How does f2 into b2 work? That’s also really punishable
I'm assuming he meant B3, not B2. B2 would be a pretty useless move to stagger into, you get basically no hit advantage with it if you don't charge it, you can't combo off it, and it's a slower OH than just doing the 1+3 ender IIRC (would have to go double-check, been a minute since I was playing around with hypothetical staggers).

B3 makes way more sense in the context of what he was saying.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Jax should have at least another tick throw option tbh since d1 is too easy for any competent player to poke out of like b1 (honestly underwhelming as a button) or even s1 tbh cuz it's too situational for my taste of tick options

You know something I’ve noticed? If you do a quad grab but don’t extend it, meaning don’t input the 2,3,4 afterwards the opponent recovers really quick. So quick that it throws them off guard and they aren’t blocking because they expect the whole thing. It’s a gimmick for sure but I’ve taken note of it.

ATIWAB

Noob
Jax should have at least another tick throw option tbh since d1 is too easy for any competent player to poke out of like b1 (honestly underwhelming as a button) or even s1 tbh cuz it's too situational for my taste of tick options
You can hit the QG off B1 on hit already, timing is tight though.

ATIWAB

Noob
So im trying out jax now can i get advice or maybe some tips? How to optimize my combos and placement? Also what i should be doing more.
Will just make some notes as I watch it so won't be much organizational structure here:

• When you're getting ranged out full-screen as GB, don't forget you can counter-projectile with fireballs from the heat you build through Briggs Barricade, and you can ground pound too since it's full screen.

• You're doing a LOT of midscreen jump kicks for a variation that can't really consistently do anything off of it. At least in Hunker Down you can BF4 off the juggle. If you land a JI2 instead, the frame advantage is enough to combo into an entire fully charged B2 for your KB, so if you're gonna keep doing those neutral jumps, should try to get more used to doing 2 instead of 3 unless you're in a corner, since it makes those B2s free.

• You're blocking and waiting way too much these first couple of games. You're a rushdown/pressure character with mix potential on your BF2 but you're playing more like a defensive counter-character for some reason, esp your first game against this Baraka. And Briggs Barricade is more of an on-react move than trying to guess they're gonna projectile, too punishable, try not to use it for read attempts unless they're playing super predictably.

• Always 4 on last hit of Gotcha in corner for restand, and know how many hits you have. Didn't restand the Baraka, did restand against Sub but wasted damage potential because you did it after one hit.

• Mix in more throws against players playing like this purple Sub is around 20:24. He's early blocking even at a range that's optimal for him and not you waiting for your pressure string, so FF L1 to make him respect your option to throw all the time.

• You've had about 15 opportunities now to hit your fireball KB and haven't done it yet. Always be looking to use it on those corner juggles instead of ending in another Gotcha every time, especially when it would end the round. Super easy to land in a corner juggle.

• When someone is rushing you as hard on oki as this Cetrion is, it's because she doesn't respect your wakeup game because you haven't been using any. Jax's wakeup U3 is one of the best in the game as far as range, would use it more to catch some of these people out.

• This Kabal is just bad. Nothing to learn from this game. He doesn't understand his own range and spacing advantages against you.

Will just make some notes as I watch it so won't be much organizational structure here:

• When you're getting ranged out full-screen as GB, don't forget you can counter-projectile with fireballs from the heat you build through Briggs Barricade, and you can ground pound too since it's full screen.

• You're doing a LOT of midscreen jump kicks for a variation that can't really consistently do anything off of it. At least in Hunker Down you can BF4 off the juggle. If you land a JI2 instead, the frame advantage is enough to combo into an entire fully charged B2 for your KB, so if you're gonna keep doing those neutral jumps, should try to get more used to doing 2 instead of 3 unless you're in a corner, since it makes those B2s free.

• You're blocking and waiting way too much these first couple of games. You're a rushdown/pressure character with mix potential on your BF2 but you're playing more like a defensive counter-character for some reason, esp your first game against this Baraka. And Briggs Barricade is more of an on-react move than trying to guess they're gonna projectile, too punishable, try not to use it for read attempts unless they're playing super predictably.

• Always 4 on last hit of Gotcha in corner for restand, and know how many hits you have. Didn't restand the Baraka, did restand against Sub but wasted damage potential because you did it after one hit.

• Mix in more throws against players playing like this purple Sub is around 20:24. He's early blocking even at a range that's optimal for him and not you waiting for your pressure string, so FF L1 to make him respect your option to throw all the time.

• You've had about 15 opportunities now to hit your fireball KB and haven't done it yet. Always be looking to use it on those corner juggles instead of ending in another Gotcha every time, especially when it would end the round. Super easy to land in a corner juggle.

• When someone is rushing you as hard on oki as this Cetrion is, it's because she doesn't respect your wakeup game because you haven't been using any. Jax's wakeup U3 is one of the best in the game as far as range, would use it more to catch some of these people out.

• This Kabal is just bad. Nothing to learn from this game. He doesn't understand his own range and spacing advantages against you.
Some good stuff here , Im about to upload a video of me using GB too would love your input

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus

Thank you for the clear input. I went to the practice yesterday to hit that corner proj kb. Can land it pretty consistently now. Going to play some matches today and upload again. I really appreciated that.

Btw maskless Kitana and Kabal are in tbe shop today.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I really dig Jax, he's def a side character I will stick with. It's amazing playing someone with KB's easily activated, but not instantly scaled up to 40% like Geras' KB. He's tough but fair.
Having a super rough time getting the bf3-4 KB mid-screen. I just suck at timing dash cancels sometimes. And still have yet to get the command grab in-match, but he's so fun to play.
I've been picking Jax against every Johnny and Kano I come across in KL.

ATIWAB

Noob
I really dig Jax, he's def a side character I will stick with. It's amazing playing someone with KB's easily activated, but not instantly scaled up to 40% like Geras' KB. He's tough but fair.
Having a super rough time getting the bf3-4 KB mid-screen. I just suck at timing dash cancels sometimes. And still have yet to get the command grab in-match, but he's so fun to play.
I've been picking Jax against every Johnny and Kano I come across in KL.
Easiest BF34 KB midscreen in Hunker Down is, if you already have the heat, JI2 B2KB FF S4xxBF34KB or D2KB 22xxBF34. Does an easy 42% at full heat, and the initial KB resets spacing, so the FF S4 and the quick 22 both place the opponent consistently at the right place 100% of the time unless you totally fucking botch it.

Anything aside from that midscreen, you're relying on AA to do it, and it's inconsistent because of fall speeds/spacing. D12 D12 is your best bet there.

Honestly in HD I just try to save it for a corner juggle, it's a big waste of damage to double it with another KB midscreen because of scaling, unless it's going to win you a round. For example, off the same JI2 Full Charge B2KB FF S4 you can just go into Burning Hammer for 33% or 37% amp'd instead (totally non-optimal but just as comparison) and still have your corner FB later for another 36-40% depending on your combo (easiest being NJK D1 D12 BF34KB for 36 IMO). Use your best judgment depending on how many openings you're getting in the matchup, who the matchup is against (i.e., wouldn't be as likely to save it for anyone who can just tele out of the corner anyway) and whether or not that extra few % will really matter for the round vs. saving the KB for later.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Here is todays gameplay, I think I played like a scrub. Any tips would be appreciated, if im not doing what I should let me know. Cassie makes me annoyed..feel like she can press whatever she wants.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Here is todays gameplay, I think I played like a scrub. Any tips would be appreciated, if im not doing what I should let me know. Cassie makes me annoyed..feel like she can press whatever she wants.

You'd get better feedback if you showed us a mixed bag of W's and L's and not cherrypicking your wins for the video.

- you need to practice hit confirming f33, and practice your BnBs and conversions. You left a ton of damage on the table either dropping combos, using a bf3 ender without enough heat for the KB, and not hit confirming f33 or converting AA hits, etc. Without landing this damage, you're basically playing variationless Jax, as this is really the only thing that GB has over HD.

- You almost never use f2. This is one of Jax's best buttons, you can stagger it, convert off it, go into a 50/50.

- Stop using d12 outside of combos. Its such a bad string. Uncharged b2 is also a bad idea.

- Don't use bf2 cancels, bf24, or bf2 1+3 as a mixup, they're really fake, and against anyone who is decent/knows the matchup, they're suicide. Just stick with staggering f2 and its enders, 12, 121, f3, f33, f331, and grab. bf2 is ok on block, because while it has a punishable gap, it has really nice pushback that you can use to whiff punish followup pokes from your opponent.

- Take your turn with f3 or f2, not d1. You blocked a lot of pokes only to d1, and you d1'd a lot after landing your own d1.

This should be enough for now. There's a lot of matchup specific stuff. A lot of pretty ironic tea bagging going on.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Notes taken I'll stream my matches today. I'm still new to jax, the tea bagging isn't as often i did cherry pick so thats why it seemed that way. I get a lot of matches in once i get on. Hence the stream....this time quality might be post F42 Jax.

You'd get better feedback if you showed us a mixed bag of W's and L's and not cherrypicking your wins for the video.

- you need to practice hit confirming f33, and practice your BnBs and conversions. You left a ton of damage on the table either dropping combos, using a bf3 ender without enough heat for the KB, and not hit confirming f33 or converting AA hits, etc. Without landing this damage, you're basically playing variationless Jax, as this is really the only thing that GB has over HD.

- You almost never use f2. This is one of Jax's best buttons, you can stagger it, convert off it, go into a 50/50.

- Stop using d12 outside of combos. Its such a bad string. Uncharged b2 is also a bad idea.

- Don't use bf2 cancels, bf24, or bf2 1+3 as a mixup, they're really fake, and against anyone who is decent/knows the matchup, they're suicide. Just stick with staggering f2 and its enders, 12, 121, f3, f33, f331, and grab. bf2 is ok on block, because while it has a punishable gap, it has really nice pushback that you can use to whiff punish followup pokes from your opponent.

- Take your turn with f3 or f2, not d1. You blocked a lot of pokes only to d1, and you d1'd a lot after landing your own d1.

This should be enough for now. There's a lot of matchup specific stuff. A lot of pretty ironic tea bagging going on.