What's new

Jax Character moves, beginner/basic strategy

I'm getting the samething, probably just me though...
i promise you i am not making it up. it is in the guide as well, although my detailed instructions should help you more than the guide (guide only mentions that there is a 2 frame window, but not when to push it). stick with it and i guarantee you can get it... just follow my instructions on getting down when to time the last input... you must skip one of the slams before the final input....

TWZTID

Noob
i promise you i am not making it up. it is in the guide as well, although my detailed instructions should help you more than the guide (guide only mentions that there is a 2 frame window, but not when to push it). stick with it and i guarantee you can get it... just follow my instructions on getting down when to time the last input... you must skip one of the slams before the final input....
I still only get 6 slams max... Even by your directions. You have to be throwing an extra hit or something. Can you cap it and post it?

Hs anyone tested unblockable ground pound set ups? Jax's enhanced wave seems to suspend the character in the air juggle, with enough time to GP on wake up. Of course they probably can always jump though.

I can confirm this...it's a 7 hit throw for the same damage (13%) as the 6-hit throw. They should make it more for how hard it is to land. I must have tried it like 100 times before I got the last input to register. And yes, you have to skip one of the slams and hit 1+2+3+4 during the 5th slam. The guide should've been more clear about when the 2 frame window is.

DrDogg

Noob
Hs anyone tested unblockable ground pound set ups? Jax's enhanced wave seems to suspend the character in the air juggle, with enough time to GP on wake up. Of course they probably can always jump though.
We discussed the viability of Ground Pound setups starting on post 36 if you want to check that out. I haven't tested anything with the EX Wave, but I can't imagine it being any different than other attacks that knock down. The opponent can still roll or do an invincible wake up attack to avoid the Ground Pound.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
I hope this is the right thread to post this in... Lemme know what y'all think.

[Unblockable]
You don't mind if I use your post as the layout for the front page? This is actually a really good format, and I need to update the thing badly.

DrDogg

Noob
You don't mind if I use your post as the layout for the front page? This is actually a really good format, and I need to update the thing badly.
You should use the move properties from my list since they're far more accurate than the training mode properties.

Mad_Sweeney

Kaballin'!
Not sure what you mean by "faulty post," but if you wanna use my post, you don't have to ask permission; that's why I put it up there.

EDIT: Whoops. Just noticed you already did.

A poorly telegraphed ground pound and X-ray, along with the fact that his command grabs aren't really command grabs, are things that tick me off most about Jax, and probably the reason why you haven't seen one on a tourney stream. As far as I know, the ground pound can be used to duck projectiles, so you can throw it out if you sense one coming and then dash in follow up :l+:fp, :bp, :bk, :d:r+:blk:bp or whatever. Also, it's been said that Jax is an "in-your-face" kind of character, so assuming you're pressuring your opponent correctly, you can throw out a GP as they're turtling in anticipation of another block string assault.

But then again, I'm a scrub, so this may or may not be the best advice. But if you ask me, it seems to be the only way. Jax is gimmicky like that.

DrDogg

Noob
A poorly telegraphed ground pound and X-ray, along with the fact that his command grabs aren't really command grabs, are things that tick me off most about Jax, and probably the reason why you haven't seen one on a tourney stream. As far as I know, the ground pound can be used to duck projectiles, so you can throw it out if you sense one coming and then dash in follow up :l+:fp, :bp, :bk, :d:r+:blk:bp or whatever. Also, it's been said that Jax is an "in-your-face" kind of character, so assuming you're pressuring your opponent correctly, you can throw out a GP as they're turtling in anticipation of another block string assault.

But then again, I'm a scrub, so this may or may not be the best advice. But if you ask me, it seems to be the only way. Jax is gimmicky like that.
In high-level play Ground Pound is just too slow. Unless you can somehow force the opponent into a situation where they cannot move for an extended period of time, it's virtually impossible to hit with the Ground Pound. Players with even halfway decent reactions can jump it easily.

Have you tried Ground Pound ducking projectiles? I messed around with it a little bit, but it comes out so slow that you'd have to anticipate the projectile coming, and Ground Pound before the opponent uses it to get low enough. After getting hit over and over while trying to test the timing, I just gave up on the idea. If it actually works though, it may at least be effective against instant air projectiles from Kitana, Liu Kang, Kabal and others (Ground Pound would likely hit just as they land).

Mad_Sweeney

Kaballin'!
In high-level play Ground Pound is just too slow. Unless you can somehow force the opponent into a situation where they cannot move for an extended period of time, it's virtually impossible to hit with the Ground Pound. Players with even halfway decent reactions can jump it easily.

Have you tried Ground Pound ducking projectiles? I messed around with it a little bit, but it comes out so slow that you'd have to anticipate the projectile coming, and Ground Pound before the opponent uses it to get low enough. After getting hit over and over while trying to test the timing, I just gave up on the idea. If it actually works though, it may at least be effective against instant air projectiles from Kitana, Liu Kang, Kabal and others (Ground Pound would likely hit just as they land).
I have GP ducked projectiles against the CPU, if that counts. As for it being useless in high-level play, that's what I meant. But then all Jax has left is what...his dash punch? In terms of combos, Ground pound>nj. 1>dash>Boot Kamp>Ex dash punch is Jax's only way (as far as I know) to clear 30% damage outside of the corner. And according to guys like James Chen, you gotta have 30+ percenters in order to roll with the top tier characters.

It's so frustrating being a Jax player. :(

DrDogg

Noob
I have GP ducked projectiles against the CPU, if that counts. As for it being useless in high-level play, that's what I meant. But then all Jax has left is what...his dash punch? In terms of combos, Ground pound>nj. 1>dash>Boot Kamp>Ex dash punch is Jax's only way (as far as I know) to clear 30% damage outside of the corner. And according to guys like James Chen, you gotta have 30+ percenters in order to roll with the top tier characters.

It's so frustrating being a Jax player. :(
I feel Jax is low tier, but at the top of the low tier characters. He has to work harder than 90% of the cast, but he's still capable. A few minor changes would make him a solid mid-tier, but we'll have to see if NRS addresses this. In fact, I think it's time for a "let's improve Jax" thread. I have a casual session tomorrow and a tournament on Sunday, so I'll play some Jax and see how he fairs against solid competition, then make that thread.

I'll take a look at yours and switch what is needed

If I missed anything, let me know
Only thing I would point out is that we kind of need more than just high, mid, low, overhead. Jax's 2 (BP) for example. It's techincally a high attack, and whiffs if an opponent is crouching. But if the crouching opponent is blocking, 2 no longer whiffs. I don't know if we want to call this a special-high or what, but it's not a high and it's not a mid, it's like a combination of the two.

Mad_Sweeney

Kaballin'!
I feel Jax is low tier, but at the top of the low tier characters. He has to work harder than 90% of the cast, but he's still capable. A few minor changes would make him a solid mid-tier, but we'll have to see if NRS addresses this. In fact, I think it's time for a "let's improve Jax" thread. I have a casual session tomorrow and a tournament on Sunday, so I'll play some Jax and see how he fairs against solid competition, then make that thread.
Let me know how it goes, man. Good luck! I'm looking to test my mettle against some of the Street Fighter heads who have been wiping the floor with me on a weekly basis this upcoming Wednesday. Let me know if I'm wasting my time. Here's to hoping I can finally be competent at ONE fighting game.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Unless I write it wrong, yes. Let me try again... I will change it if I have too

Edit- I was correct
Why the hell can't I do this! I assume it's a just frame move for the ones past 2+3?

Also, guys, am I insane or does Jax literally not have combos beyond "Hit Chain" xx "Special Move"? Why would they even do that?

Ground pound doesn't count because it's ass.

Came over here from shoryuken once I found out this exsisted. Love the site. Maining Jax and find him fun to play. was wondering if anyone could confirm Nj,1,1+2(x3),jk,air slam. After the 3rd 1+2, i'm not able to jump and connect with the jk.

i just need to know if this is my execution or is it just not possible so I can move on. Also, what are the best ways to get in to hit the 4+1+3 combo.

Thanks.
Anyone able to confirm this?

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Why the hell can't I do this! I assume it's a just frame move for the ones past 2+3?

Also, guys, am I insane or does Jax literally not have combos beyond "Hit Chain" xx "Special Move"? Why would they even do that?

Ground pound doesn't count because it's ass.
Uh, he's not alone here. Sheeva is the same. Baraka has limtied juggling power to that of Jax. It doesn't mean they can't be competitive if the moves hit or were setup better. But you have to work with what you have. Jax hits hard, but when other character are breaking 30% without a problem and 40% with a little bit of effort, it does put him at a damage disadvantage similar to Sheeva/Baraka. I'm going to pick him up for a few days and see is he a better character for me. I'm not fond of juggle heavy characters, so it's not a problem for me.

D_Matt_Ma

Anyone able to confirm this?
I don't quite understand what you're saying. Are you doing 1>2, or 1+2? 1+2 isn't a move to my knowledge.

Hey, can someone shed some light on the 7 hit throw? When does the 1+2+3+4 have to be inputted? Is it before the 6th hit or between the 5th and 6th? Do I do it AFTER the 6th hits?

Also, anyone doing this on a pad? The game won't let you shortcut it and mash all 4 buttons, so it's been pretty annoying. It also doesn't let you dual map a button, which sucks because I don't really need the tag button and would have liked the L1 trigger to be a second FP.

TWZTID

Noob
I don't quite understand what you're saying. Are you doing 1>2, or 1+2? 1+2 isn't a move to my knowledge.

Hey, can someone shed some light on the 7 hit throw? When does the 1+2+3+4 have to be inputted? Is it before the 6th hit or between the 5th and 6th? Do I do it AFTER the 6th hits?

Also, anyone doing this on a pad? The game won't let you shortcut it and mash all 4 buttons, so it's been pretty annoying. It also doesn't let you dual map a button, which sucks because I don't really need the tag button and would have liked the L1 trigger to be a second FP.
The max slams is 5 without the final input.
1st grab = 2 slams
2nd & 3rd command = 1 slam a piece
4th command = 2 slams

the grab itself counts as a hit to equal the 5th hit... But still dooin all the commands, I still get 6 hits.

@chef, do the inputs when the body hits the ground

D_Matt_Ma

So there isn't a 1+2+3+4 input at the end to get the 7th slam?

Also, since the damage is being capped at 13%, has anyone noticed other benefits from the extra slams? Does it take away meter?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Uh, he's not alone here. Sheeva is the same. Baraka has limtied juggling power to that of Jax. It doesn't mean they can't be competitive if the moves hit or were setup better. But you have to work with what you have. Jax hits hard, but when other character are breaking 30% without a problem and 40% with a little bit of effort, it does put him at a damage disadvantage similar to Sheeva/Baraka. I'm going to pick him up for a few days and see is he a better character for me. I'm not fond of juggle heavy characters, so it's not a problem for me.
Yeah but Sheeva's all end up over 30% even to almost 40%.

Jax's take about 18%.

@TWZTID Yay I finally got it. 6 slams for a total of 7 hits (the grab counts.) Why don't the last two hits deal any damage though? What's the point?

D_Matt_Ma

Again though, is there a 1+2+3+4 finish? Someone please confirm that there is no finish beyond the 2+4 input.

The 4 hit does 13%. The 6 hit does 13%. The positioning is the same. So I'm still wondering does this affect the X-ray Bar.

TWZTID

Noob
Yeah but Sheeva's all end up over 30% even to almost 40%.

Jax's take about 18%.

@TWZTID Yay I finally got it. 6 slams for a total of 7 hits (the grab counts.) Why don't the last two hits deal any damage though? What's the point?
Wtf! I dont get the 7th hit...
As for the damage... Yeah it's pointless. It should deal out at least 15-18% for as hard as it is to land..

BiGGDaddyCane

Northwest Philly Player
Hey thanks for the guide, I'm really liking Jax. His How and low mixups are lovely. I really like his overhead.

One thing I really wish was his ground pound was faster. If it was, he would have much more options imo. Other then dat solid. :dance: