What's new

Jax Character moves, beginner/basic strategy

Yig

Noob
If your opponent does not have a wake up attack i found that :r:bk:fp:fk knocks them back perfectly into Mid Ground slam range. If they do not do a wake up attack or delay their getting up they should get hit by Ground Pound as they get up. This will allow some juggling or a simple air grab will add 20% mixed with the pound itself.

You can mix this up (after you have them thinking you will always go for a mid pound) by tossing a projectile on their wake up as well for characters like Cage whose wake up attack will cause them to eat the projectile.

The only characters this does not work on at all is teleport characters but you can trick them into thinking you are going to follow up with a ground slam only to block and punish their teleport.

Jax is seeming like a character who needs to play mind games to beat people.

DrDogg

Noob
If your opponent does not have a wake up attack i found that :r:bk:fp:fk knocks them back perfectly into Mid Ground slam range. If they do not do a wake up attack or delay their getting up they should get hit by Ground Pound as they get up. This will allow some juggling or a simple air grab will add 20% mixed with the pound itself.

You can mix this up (after you have them thinking you will always go for a mid pound) by tossing a projectile on their wake up as well for characters like Cage whose wake up attack will cause them to eat the projectile.

The only characters this does not work on at all is teleport characters but you can trick them into thinking you are going to follow up with a ground slam only to block and punish their teleport.

Jax is seeming like a character who needs to play mind games to beat people.
1. Every character has a wake up attack.

2. Even if the opponent doesn't use a wake up, they can still quick roll, which is invincible to ground pound.

3. Good players will not teleport until they see the beginning of the ground pound animation, so you won't be able to bait them.

4. Jax is ass.

So there isn't a 1+2+3+4 input at the end to get the 7th slam?

Also, since the damage is being capped at 13%, has anyone noticed other benefits from the extra slams? Does it take away meter?
already confirmed this post 45.. don't listen to the noise of those who cannot do it... it works and someone else already confirmed it as well.. do not see point in wasting posts on repeating myself... post 45 in this thread has detailed instructions on how to do it... you know you did it correctly when it reads 7 hits (6 slams).

as for your new questions, only benefit I notice position change... and u can do it off of front throw or back throw...

good thought about meter takeaway tho... never thought of that.. will confirm when i get home and hopefully get a video up of me doing it to put all the noise to rest...

power.

Yig

Noob
Well then... i guess i have not had much practice seeing players react to it due to fail PSN. Regardless, the only place i have seen where a Ground Pound can be added atleast safely is on wake up. It is too slow for anything else.

DrDogg

Noob
Online is probably the only place you can actually bait people with ground pound. The lag will force people to guess instead of being able to react.

Honestly, I think if the ground pound was as fast as Nightwolf's Lightning or Sheeva's ground pound, and maybe make EX Dash Punch juggle... then Jax is all good.

Yig

Noob
Online is probably the only place you can actually bait people with ground pound. The lag will force people to guess instead of being able to react.

Honestly, I think if the ground pound was as fast as Nightwolf's Lightning or Sheeva's ground pound, and maybe make EX Dash Punch juggle... then Jax is all good.
Well regardless of how he fairs in high end play im going to stick with him. I like his play style... hes low tier so if anything he is one of the few characters that would even be considered for a buff which would be very easy to adjust to rather than adjusting to a nerf. So i think il play through the pain and develop some stuff with him.

DrDogg

Noob
Well regardless of how he fairs in high end play im going to stick with him. I like his play style... hes low tier so if anything he is one of the few characters that would even be considered for a buff which would be very easy to adjust to rather than adjusting to a nerf. So i think il play through the pain and develop some stuff with him.
Agreed. I've been playing with him, and I can beat average players, but I can't use him in tournament. I really don't understand how NRS felt he should be played.

I try to pressure with overhead smash, linked from his normals and chains, but his normals are either slow or high (with the exception of f+4). Unfortunately, f+4 is so fast, that on wake up, it's easy to mistime even if the opponent isn't using an invincible wake up attack. And since the only follow up is high (f+4,1), it leads to getting interrupted. Even if I cancel f+4 into overhead smash, it's not enough.

BiGGDaddyCane

Northwest Philly Player
Agreed. I've been playing with him, and I can beat average players, but I can't use him in tournament. I really don't understand how NRS felt he should be played.

After playing a various amount of matches online Im feeling the same way. I totally agree. Just want to say again that damn his ground pound can easliy be reacted too. Theres not many situations where i can utilize it like i thought i would be able too.

I was hoping it would be a least the speed of Quan Chi's Ground burst. Pray he gets buffs cause im still sticking with him as my main character.

Also, I want to say which is probably already known, characters like Liu Kang, Sindel, Kabal can zone out Jax so good, its so hard to get in at times. His Energy Wave is soso, and i dont like wasting meter that much on the EX wave.

What I've be doin is getting in a good range and do dash punch which is risky and follow up with a High-Low mix up. If anybody got any tips with dealing with strong projectile characters please let me know.

DrDogg

Noob
Also, I want to say which is probably already known, characters like Liu Kang, Sindel, Kabal can zone out Jax so good, its so hard to get in at times. His Energy Wave is soso, and i dont like wasting meter that much on the EX wave.

What I've be doin is getting in a good range and do dash punch which is risky and follow up with a High-Low mix up. If anybody got any tips with dealing with strong projectile characters please let me know.
Wave dash (dash block) to get in. You have to fight Noob the same way.

If you duck under a projectile from close enough range, you should be able to Dash Punch to punish the whiff.

I don't quite understand what you're saying. Are you doing 1>2, or 1+2? 1+2 isn't a move to my knowledge.

Hey, can someone shed some light on the 7 hit throw? When does the 1+2+3+4 have to be inputted? Is it before the 6th hit or between the 5th and 6th? Do I do it AFTER the 6th hits?

Also, anyone doing this on a pad? The game won't let you shortcut it and mash all 4 buttons, so it's been pretty annoying. It also doesn't let you dual map a button, which sucks because I don't really need the tag button and would have liked the L1 trigger to be a second FP.
Sorry, gotta get my notation right. It should be NJ>1, 1>2, dash,1>2, dash, 1>2, jk>air grab. Thanks for your help on this...

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Sorry, gotta get my notation right. It should be NJ>1, 1>2, dash,1>2, dash, 1>2, jk>air grab. Thanks for your help on this...
I don't think that connects. The jk hits too high for it to be used in a juggle, especially after that many 1>2 jabs.

MAJOR DISCOVERY (or I'm just late to the party)
Enhanced ground pound can be DASH CANCELLED. I'm making a thread to show off the stuff right now.

Dandy J

i can see all the amine
both ground pound and enhanced ground pound cannot be dash canceled, they just recover super quick. you dont have to dash, you can do anything you want

DrDogg

Noob
Is ground pound too slow to punish blocked teleport punches?
I haven't tested this out, but I would think so. I haven't done the frame data for Jax yet, but I think ground pound is the slowest move in the game. Sheeva's teleport stomp is the only thing I can think of off-hand that might be slower, but I think it's still faster than ground pound.

D_Matt_Ma

1,2 properties are different depending on what you do after the 2. If you link/cancel into ANYTHING, the hitstun on the 2 is drastically increased. It's increased so much that the elbow drop combos from it. The drawback is that 1,2 into ANYTHING doesn't get the increased BLOCK stun, so a slow followup will still get jabbed out.

2,1 hits crouch blockers. The second hit USUALLY hits duckers. There's a magic range in the middle where it whiffs on crouchers.

If 2>1, f+3, or 1>2>3 hit, a gotcha d>f+1 must be blocked for 1% chip and leaves Jax in advantage.

So from what I've gathered here is that as Jax, your best tool is the Dash Punch/EX DP.

Noob question, how should I use the Overhead Smash? As in, what situation? All I've been doing with it is using it to loop those cretins who don't know how to use wakeup properly. They get MAD at the constant elbow drops

D_Matt_Ma

So from what I've gathered here is that as Jax, your best tool is the Dash Punch/EX DP.

Noob question, how should I use the Overhead Smash? As in, what situation? All I've been doing with it is using it to loop those cretins who don't know how to use wakeup properly. They get MAD at the constant elbow drops
Elbow drop gives a free enhanced ground smash on hit. In a corner, it can lead to the 100%+ combo. Check out the combo forum for a vid of it.

imma stick wit jax as my main...but yea he could be alot better...i think if he had a combos string that went into a launcher that we could combo off of he would be alot better...i think i could deal wit the slow gp den....but o well

Zebster

How's my volume?
jax's extra slams will have damage soon enough according to Tom. NRS are working on it now. possibly implemented in the full update patch coming out.

D_Matt_Ma

I'm pretty sure that was a given. That last slam however, higher damage or not, I have still yet to even see what it looks like. If someone could post a youtube video of it, I'd very much appreciate it.

Although low damage is a common observation by many, most Jax players here don't cite damage as a problem outside of his basic throw. Most like myself cite not enough frame advantage on his high risk moves such as his elbow drop, slow strings, and even his gotcha on block. The ground pound in its current form is also cited for being too slow or (myself) not being dash cancellable. Although I expect NRS to buff damage on the throw, I hope it's not a model to be applied throughout the Jax movelist in an effort to balance him, because I can tell you it will not work (unless he did 50%+ more on everything).

DrDogg

Noob
*Shrug* No other buffs are incoming for Jax at the moment, so... yeah.
That's ridiculous. NRS needs to buff the bottom tier characters before the nerf the higher tier characters. IMO only Raiden needs a nerf, and only on his teleport.

IMO, make Jax's ground pound the same speed as Sheeva's version or Nightwolf's lightning, and make his Gotcha Grab unblockable, but techable like Cyrax's. Those two changes alone would make Jax at least a solid mid-tier.

I'd also like to see EX dash punch lead to a juggle or at least hit mid, but I'd be happy with the above changes.

That's ridiculous. NRS needs to buff the bottom tier characters before the nerf the higher tier characters. IMO only Raiden needs a nerf, and only on his teleport.

IMO, make Jax's ground pound the same speed as Sheeva's version or Nightwolf's lightning, and make his Gotcha Grab unblockable, but techable like Cyrax's. Those two changes alone would make Jax at least a solid mid-tier.

I'd also like to see EX dash punch lead to a juggle or at least hit mid, but I'd be happy with the above changes.

Aww man if they did that id be the happiest person on here [no homo]

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk