What's new

Question - Summoner It is time for some real Quan talk

Is Lord Quan broken ?

• YAAASSS !

Votes: 108 61.0%
  • He is balanced but top 5

Votes: 46 26.0%
  • He needs more buffs because why the **** not?

Votes: 23 13.0%

• Total voters

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
WTF who told you I've played Quan Chi ever, the hell you been trying to mirror match me this whole time seriously WOAH :DOGE
You are quoted as saying quan takes very little skill to pickup, so show me. Pick him up and beat me if he takes such little skill. But you're not willing to back up your talk sooooo...there's no need for us to play.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
You are quoted as saying quan takes very little skill to pickup, so show me. Pick him up and beat me if he takes such little skill. But you're not willing to back up your talk sooooo...there's no need for us to play.
Buuuuut... for that to be any sort of test to his statement, wouldn't you have to be playing a different character, seeing as you would be playing the exact same "easy-to-play" character against him? I mean, whoever wins, you are both still playing Quan Chi lol, so it doesn't really prove anything about Quan Chi

Last edited:

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I love how when a very balanced character has his balance thrown out the window with unnecessary buffs because it's community made a thread bitching for buffs because they only got top 5 at EVO, that's fine, but when people say maybe the buffs were unnecessary, it's "relentless whining trying to get the character destroyed". Lol. I can't see this as anything but one-sided.
I don't think Quan's buffs aside from the d1 buff were necessary, to clarify. In fact, I'd rather see them reverted.

The 6F d+1 has been entirely blown out of proportion. d+3 is still better. Superior frame data on block and hit and low-profiling ability.

Quan Chi is a top tier character with somewhat limited execution requirements who performs very well against low and mid level players (i.e., the vast majority of people on this website). High level players who are patient and familiar with all vortex options approach Quan Chi carefully, acquire a knock down, and abuse the lack of armored wake up options. The most recent tournament matches and results support this theory. In other words, the only people who complain about Quan Chi are scrubs who hate blocking and simply want to get in order to do 50/50 mix ups.
His vortex is broke though. The ability to release his low bat while in the air on a cross up makes you guess not once, twice, but 3 TIMES and all it takes is one wrong guess for a full combo punish and to continue the vortex. How people are unwilling to admit he's broke is beyond me.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
His vortex is broke though. The ability to release his low bat while in the air on a cross up makes you guess not once, twice, but 3 TIMES and all it takes is one guess to continue the vortex. How people are unwilling to admit he's broke is beyond me.
What do you think Quan Chi players have to do when Sonya knocks them down? Guess once on the initial 50/50 mix up and then guess twice on the second 50/50 mix up from military stance. In fact, MIT's Sonya just beat King's Quan Chi on the YOMI stream. Erron Black? Guess once on the initial 50/50 mix up and then guess twice on the second 50/50 mix up after EX sand grenade. Then you have characters like Johnny Cage and Tanya who keep the frame traps going for a long time. Then you have characters like Cassie and Jax who destroy Quan Chi in the corner.

You are just another crying hypocrite. You love dishing out the 50/50 mix ups, but you hate being on the receiving end. Besides, Quan Chi has so far not been a problem for tournament players. He has been a problem for scrubs and low level players.

What do you think Quan Chi players have to do when Sonya knocks them down? Guess once on the initial 50/50 mix up and then guess twice on the second 50/50 mix up from military stance. In fact, MIT's Sonya just beat King's Quan Chi on the YOMI stream. Erron Black? Guess once on the initial 50/50 mix up and then guess twice on the second 50/50 mix up after EX sand grenade. Then you have characters like Johnny Cage and Tanya who keep the frame traps going for a long time. Then you have characters like Cassie and Jax who destroy Quan Chi in the corner.

You are just another crying hypocrite. You love dishing out the 50/50 mix ups, but you hate being on the receiving end. Besides, Quan Chi has so far not been a problem for tournament players. He has been a problem for scrubs and low level players.
It's not a 50/50 if you get 3 safe options for a mixup. Yes it's true his b324 is -14 on block but his low bat makes everything safe. I'm not saying nerf his 50/50's to the ground, I'm just saying normalize his insane options. Keep his 6 frame njp and + pokes. I think you can even keep his bat a low, just maybe disable the ability to summon the bat within the same combo

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S

Can we put a banner of this up somewhere until these people get the idea? I'm so sick of having to argue that Quan does indeed have issues, despite having his mixup, to bad players that I've almost lost it. Literally none of the people I play with offline complain about Quan because the UNDERSTAND HOW TO APPROACH THE MATCHUP. There's a lot you can do to minimise the risk of letting Quan get started that people are too blind to see.

Last edited:

Robotic

Gentleman.

He hasn't been a problem for the hundreds of tourney players, only for the million or so (citation needed) players at any given moment worldwide who play online. This is a bed NRS made, though, make no mistake.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Excellent point.

Normalize Jacqui's machine gun along with the other ten things that online scrubs cannot handle.
They've managed to put together a self-sustaining engine of disagreement with their inability to get online right. They create 2 different games as a result and we are all left frustrated for our troubles, constantly breaking each others balls over shit were most likely viewing differently across two platforms. Quan's broke, Quan's not broke. Stop. You're both right. And my God does that suck.

Death

Noob

Covert Ops along with summoner are probably the scrubbiest characters nrs has ever designed. It's a joke to be honest. But Summoner will obviously get the shinnok treatment anyways

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
You know, I made similar statements about Sonya as Dave and I was told Sonya was "easy" to deal with and "easy" to keep out.

Players LOVE to bitch about Quan Chi 50/50s but forget all about Cassie, Sonya, Shinnok(can still jail after amulet blast in BS with f4), Predator, etc.

These are clearly fair and balanced characters to these people. Quan Chi is the ONLY problem.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I wouldn't bother arguing @General M2Dave these scrubs complain about quan because he got top 8 at evo. Oh wait...was it summoner? No...sorcerer..the variation that doesn't even make you guess wrong! He just has to touch you and you die! 100% chip? And people are saying summoner takes no skill and is broken? We give you a chance to guess. And we are also the only variation without armour. We are all offense. We play the most fair of the top two quan variations. We have true counter picks. You should place your focus elsewhere kids. Like the well rounded characters that have no weaknesses. Like Tanya or jax

Rude

I wouldn't bother arguing @General M2Dave these scrubs complain about quan because he got top 8 at evo. Oh wait...was it summoner? No...sorcerer..the variation that doesn't even make you guess wrong! He just has to touch you and you die! 100% chip? And people are saying summoner takes no skill and is broken? We give you a chance to guess. And we are also the only variation without armour. We are all offense. We play the most fair of the top two quan variations. We have true counter picks. You should place your focus elsewhere kids. Like the well rounded characters that have no weaknesses. Like Tanya or jax

It's no use.

Don't you know that after Shinnok, TYM needed another witch to hunt?

You what I find fascinating?

When Boneshaper Shinnok had its time in the sun, they were everywhere. Dozens of Boneshapers all over EVO.

The Fall Classic has come and gone, and the alleged "braindead, broken, breaks the rules of the game" recently buffed Quan Chi was seldom seen.

Certainly top players aren't lining down the block to pick up Summoner the way they did Boneshaper.

....I wonder why?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
You know, I made similar statements about Sonya as Dave and I was told Sonya was "easy" to deal with and "easy" to keep out.

Players LOVE to bitch about Quan Chi 50/50s but forget all about Cassie, Sonya, Shinnok(can still jail after amulet blast in BS with f4), Predator, etc.

These are clearly fair and balanced characters to these people. Quan Chi is the ONLY problem.
Now you are just bullshitting. Not only are those characters completely different from Quan but people still complain about them all the time. Quan is definitely not the only problem and no one implied he was.

Edit: Also lol at someone honestly implying Jax is better than Quan Chi. Lol.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Now you are just bullshitting. Not only are those characters completely different from Quan but people still complain about them all the time. Quan is definitely not the only problem and no one implied he was.

Damn, you broke the combo. For a good while there the Quan mains were all just bitching amongst themselves, complaining about the complainers and downplaying to no one in particular.

Rude

My point stands. Do the Sonya forums have 5 threads all saying the same thing?

Cassie?

Predator?

You people act like it's nearly impossible for Sonya to make you guess twice, knock you down, make you guess again, knock you down make you guess again, etc.

You literally had someone say it was EASY to keep Sonya out.

Now who's fucking downplaying?

Reactions: GAV

Rude

My other point still stands.

When Shinnok was "The Best In The Game" they were legion.

Summoner Quan is "The Best In The Game" and he's nowhere to be seen.

Coincidence? Definitely not.

Zoidberg747

He is. Jax is ABSOLUTELY INSANE and not a lot of people realize it.
I have four good jax's in my scene. Four. He is good, really good, but not nearly as bad as Quan imo.

My point stands. Do the Sonya forums have 5 threads all saying the same thing?

Cassie?

Predator?

You people act like it's nearly impossible for Sonya to make you guess twice, knock you down, make you guess again, knock you down make you guess again, etc.

You literally had someone say it was EASY to keep Sonya out.

Now who's fucking downplaying?
Only 2-3 of those threads are talking about post-patch Quan. And I agree they should be merged but Im not a mod so it is what it is.

Predator had at least 3 nerf threads pre-patch as well.

I never said Sonya wasn't good. She does exactly what you describe, but thats all she does. Quan has the 50/50s and the zoning which is way more dangerous, imo.

My other point still stands.

When Shinnok was "The Best In The Game" they were legion.

Summoner Quan is "The Best In The Game" and he's nowhere to be seen.

Coincidence? Definitely not.
Shinnok was braindead easy to play. I say that as a Tanya player. No one ever said Quan was braindead that I remember, and if they did they were wrong. He has so many options that he always has to keep track of what hes doing, and he also has to be on point defensively to stand a chance.

Also if we are making that argument, Tanya is fine because there are maybe 3-4 Tanyas representing at majors, only one of which consistently gets top 8. But that is a terrible argument, and is just deflecting the point that she is really good.

Last edited:

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I have four good jax's in my scene. Four. He is good, really good, but not nearly as bad as Quan imo.
I highly disagree. I've won a local with Jax and still use him in tournament sometimes, and I gotta say he's better than Quan in pretty much everything aside from zoning.

Jax is AMAZING everywhere on the screen, and as far as I'm concerned, he's harder to block than Quan. He can mix up so many things in his string to make him plus or get huge combos.

He is literally has an amazing tool for every situation in the game.

Zoidberg747

I highly disagree. I've won a local with Jax and still use him in tournament sometimes, and I gotta say he's better than Quan in pretty much everything aside from zoning.

Jax is AMAZING everywhere on the screen, and as far as I'm concerned, he's harder to block than Quan. He can mix up so many things in his string to make him plus or get huge combos.

He is literally has an amazing tool for every situation in the game.
Saying he is harder to block than Quan is crazy talk.

His main thing is he gets great corner carry and insane corner damage. He does have way better defense then Quan but his offense is nowhere near Quan's level, at least IMO.

I think hes proably top 5 now but I still see Quan as a better character. Then again you probably play against Tyrant so I'll defer to your judgement lol.

Reactions: GAV