What's new

Is There Still Hype For MK11 And Do You Think That They Should Continue To Support It?

That's cool, I'm not trying to deny anyone their personal taste in what they find fun. I just like to drill down and try and find out why people like things sometimes.
The biggest issues I see with Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath compared to the last few games in the franchise:

• There is a feeling of incompleteness, that the game is unfinished both in design and various gameplay mechanics. The Variation system is, in my opinion, the most glaring example of this as it's completely non-uniform across the game, confusing to newcomers, and designed to divide the game's community. Ironically, this contrasts highly with the game's presentation and production values, which are the best in the franchise. There are several more examples of incompleteness, but I'll simply list the above as the most visible.
  • The skin and Gear system in the game is overly convoluted, which frustrates completionists/kollectors, and both the Towers of Time, Kombat League, and Krypt are set up in an extremely grindy fashion unseen in the franchise before.
  • NetherRealm Studios set out to create a more neutral focused game, and I do believe they've accomplished this goal, but this is a different style of play from what we've seen before and isn't for everyone. In Mortal Kombat XL, yes, pokes were a big part, but they would lead into combos, aggression, and swag. There was more variety which many find more entertaining to watch (myself included), and the game was faster paced. Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath is more about spacing, and then pokes into throws and generally simplified combos since you're more focusing on set ups to cash out Krushing Blows at opportune moments. It's a different system, and one that is more robotic and with less visual flare and personal expression.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

It's fun to collect tweets that only support the viewpoints you like.

It's also logically consistent to use some people not preferring a game as proof that no one else can like the game, and that lots of other people cannot be hype about competitive play.

It's also productive and really helps your competitive scene where people are actively competing in said game and enjoying themselves.

Let's do it some more :coffee:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
There is a feeling of incompleteness, that the game is unfinished both in design and various gameplay mechanics. The Variation system is, in my opinion, the most glaring example of this as it's completely non-uniform across the game, confusing to newcomers, and designed to divide the game's community.
I wonder if part of the problem with a variation system in MK11 is that people can see the moves that they don't have access to, and that leads to a sense of a character being incomplete.

The game's never really felt incomplete to me, just some mechancics or variations that do or don't work as well as I'd like. Maybe that's just a different way to phrase things.

Mr.Khen

I am you
But...the complaints are valid... so I don't agree people should shush it for the convenience of those who like the game as it is.
it's also very condescending to tell people "they need a break" for having a valid opinion, for a franchise they love and are invested in,
same as those who asked for a more footsie based game back in MKX, did they keep their mouths shut? nope. they kept it loud and they got
what they wanted. So I enocurage people to tell NRS how they feel about the game and those who can't bare other views should instead
learn how to deal w it rather than being dismissive....

Last edited:
I love MKX and MK11 for very different reasons.

MKX’s neutral and mixups frustrated me, but I loved spending hours finding new combos and hitting them in a match.

MK11’s neutral, footsies, and pacing is more aligned with what I like in 1v1 games, and while the combos aren’t as fun to lab and perform for me, the more fun I have in neutral (compared to X) is welcome.

Both games are great, but neither are perfect...

MK11 is still young (for a fighting game) and I think it should still be supported, but NRS should be more involved with community and try to address the issues the community has to give more of the fanbase a reason to be content with the current title, and stop asking for a new one.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
But...the complaints are valid... so I don't agree people should shush it for the convenience of those who like the game as it is.
it's also very condescending to tell people "they need a break" for having a valid opinion, for a franchise they love and are invested in,
same as those who asked for a more footsie based game back in MKX, did they keep their mouths shut? nope. they kept it loud and they got
what they wanted. So I enocurage people to tell NRS how they feel about the game and those who can't bare other views should instead
When i say soccer sucks cause its boring, does that mean my complaint is valid too?

Mr.Khen

I am you
When i say soccer sucks cause its boring, does that mean my complaint is valid too?
If you find it boring to your personal taste then yeah, but no one is bashing fighting games as a genere, it's a specific game in a specific franchise so I don't see your point

Espio

Kokomo
It's weird that people would try to make this a pissing contest and posting "evidence". Your opinion isn't more valid cause people like or dislike the game. It's just another example of sour discourse more so than actually having a real conversation. People trying to score points. The top players are just humans like the rest of you all, their opinion on a game being fun is just as subjective as mine or John's or anyone else's.

People said the prior NRS games were boring too(shocking, it's almost like a pattern or something). Maybe these people AND IF IT APPLIES TO YOU, IT APPLIES TO YOU, need to stop playing games for 12 hours out the day for over a year.

Have you ever played one game as your fixation for over a year or many years? Promise you it will get old no matter how good you think the game is. Monotony is not good in any form.

Maybe the FGC should normalize playing games in moderation and actually enjoying gaming instead of making it a job (LOLOLOL) or neglecting their real life friends, family, themselves and others for it. When you create your own problems, you create your own problems.

You're not gonna tell me with a straight face that grown ass adults should be playing any game from 11 pm at night to 11 am the next day and then bemoaning how much they hate it and how boring it is. I got a real easy solution: GO OUTSIDE, talk to your significant other, go out to lunch, read a book, pick up a new hobby. Life is not meant to be lived fixated on one thing only.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I feel like I played it TOO much, but if the KP3 leak is real then it'll definitely get me playing again. Plus I feel like ranked is just too annoying to even consider playing every season.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
It's weird that people would try to make this a pissing contest and posting "evidence". Your opinion isn't more valid cause people like or dislike the game. It's just another example of sour discourse more so than actually having a real conversation. People trying to score points. The top players are just humans like the rest of you all, their opinion on a game being fun is just as subjective as mine or John's or anyone else's.

People said the prior NRS games were boring too(shocking, it's almost like a pattern or something). Maybe these people AND IF IT APPLIES TO YOU, IT APPLIES TO YOU, need to stop playing games for 12 hours out the day for over a year.

Have you ever played one game as your fixation for over a year or many years? Promise you it will get old no matter how good you think the game is. Monotony is not good in any form.

Maybe the FGC should normalize playing games in moderation and actually enjoying gaming instead of making it a job (LOLOLOL) or neglecting their real life friends, family, themselves and others for it. When you create your own problems, you create your own problems.

You're not gonna tell me with a straight face that grown ass adults should be playing any game from 11 pm at night to 11 am the next day and then bemoaning how much they hate it and how boring it is. I got a real easy solution: GO OUTSIDE, talk to your significant other, go out to lunch, read a book, pick up a new hobby. Life is not meant to be lived fixated on one thing only.
Pssh, my friends and I have been playing Dark Souls 3 since day 1 and still enjoying it :DOGE

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
The block button sucks imo, which im sure is blasphemy to say here.
I would love it if they tried to make an MK game w/o a block button. Loved MK for ~28 years but always felt like they felt kinda clunky and maybe getting rid of the block button would help that.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I would love it if they tried to make an MK game w/o a block button. Loved MK for ~28 years but always felt like they felt kinda clunky and maybe getting rid of the block button would help that.
I dont like having to give up mobility to defend myself. Dumb. I don't like how how you can get away with murder using highs if they are crouch blocking.

I wonder if part of the problem with a variation system in MK11 is that people can see the moves that they don't have access to, and that leads to a sense of a character being incomplete.
That might be the case for some people, but overall I don't believe that's the case.

In Mortal Kombat XL, you pick a game mode, any game mode, select your Variation, and start playing. You're picking the same three Variations no matter what game mode and you know what you're getting.

In Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath, you have preset Variations only available in "casual" modes, and then you have "kompetative Variations" available in Tournament, Kombat League, and Ranked. This is not explained well at all, and when the game launched, people had a hard time finding how to practice using actual Tournament Variations in practice mode. Turns out, they're not there at all and you had to actually make them as a custom Variation.

That's bad design, plain and simple. They finally patched in the option to select them in Practice Mode post-release, but why was that even an issue in the first place?

And still to this day, if you want to play any mode that's non-competative, you'll either have to create the kompetative Variations or use "casual" Variations. Even if you use Kompetative ones, other players/the AI will be using Custom stuff.

The Variation system is not unified in this game, and it leads to an incomplete feeling.

There's also the trailers that show off all these moves that aren't even in kompetative modes that disappointed people.

There's a difference between constructive criticism and complaining though. Complaining usually accomplishes little and is, well, not constructive. It tends to not point out our discuss issues properly that lead along the lines to resolutions. Constructive criticism, on the other hand, is feedback that can be properly used to make improvements.

Storm is a great, friendly guy, and he gets the above distinction.

I dont like having to give up mobility to defend myself. Dumb. I don't like how how you can get away with murder using highs if they are crouch blocking.
There are pros and cons to it. Cross-ups are harder to land with a Block button (certainly not impossible), and you actually can be more mobile with it since you're consciously choosing when to block. Back up in other games and you may end up blocking instead of walking backwards.

Each option has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
There are pros and cons to it. Cross-ups are harder to land with a Block button (certainly not impossible), and you actually can be more mobile with it since you're consciously choosing when to block. Back up in other games and you may end up blocking instead of walking backwards.

Each option has it's advantages and disadvantages.
Cross ups aren't an issue with the block button but so long as there are stupid af jump normals ass blasting you, I don't feel fortunate for having a block button lol.

Not sure I understand the point of losing mobility because you auto block while walking back in a BTB game, you only auto block when something would hit you? Would you rather the projectile or 9 frame mid hit you while walking back?

Not sure I understand the point of losing mobility because you auto block while walking back in a BTB game, you only auto block when something would hit you? Would you rather the projectile or 9 frame mid hit you while walking back?
In theory, your first sentence is correct, but in practice, it is not (not always anyway). Most BTB games use a thing called Proximity Guard to detect when you should block as a Hitbox enters your proximity.

What usually happens, is you start blocking before the move hits and in some cases, you’re stuck in a block animation even in spots where you could walk back enough to have the move whiff.

SFV is a bit of a mess in a few areas, but I’m convinced they made the proximity guard on Laura’s really really slow fireball extra large, so you are locked into a blocking animation at sweep range, even though it’d take like 20-30 more frames to hit you and you could easily walk backwards faster than it travels, but it helps with her pressure/vortex game.

Also, to be frank, with some of the hit/hurt boxes I’ve seen in this game, I’d be worried if NRS had to control proximity guard boxes as well.

Last edited:
nope. they kept it loud and they got what they wanted
Or maybe it was a coincidence given that NRS loves to shake up the entire game each release?

People have been asking for Fujin since MK9, it happened in MK11. Because of the fan requests, or maybe they felt it was time?

Guest characters have been hated since they were first released, yet they're still coming thick and fast. Selective hearing on NRS behalf?

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
The community is hypocritical and shoots itself in the foot a lot. The game still has buzz and finding a match isn't hard. They're doing another year of support. It just sucks Covid fucked everything over. I feel since no one has events a lot of fighters are like," Well what do we do?" Tekken, SF, and SC got something but a lot of communities rather not play tournaments on delay base netcode. So right now, fighters are just stuck. That is why someone like me is just coming back as I felt there was no need to keep grinding for now. Look at Smash for example, besides a good chunk of their community being expose, you also got people wondering what to do next as Smash online sucks even after the patch.

Edit: Like we got people in this thread bitching about patches and not patching game enough while people complained for MK9, MK10, and Inj 1 they patched the game too much. So I am at a lost.

Honesty they're not valid and it comes as whiny. The top palyers have always been entitled. If people outside of the community think we complain too much then there is a problem. We have endlessly bitch and complain about our games since MK9. It's the same song and dance. People were ready to leave INJ 1 for MK 10 because we got sick of Batgirl. People were ready to leave MK10 due to how stupid run cancels were! It's like we are running into the same wall again and again without learning anything.

Last edited:

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Imagine telling people "they need to take a break" as a defense to them saying they dislike a game. Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

If you actually enjoy a game, you don't take a break from it to "rekindle" your love. Jesus.....the blind defense of this game knows NO BOUNDS. Every game I've ever loved....I can't WAIT to get home to play it. Even day 2 of MK11 didn't give me this feeling.

The game is boring. Period. I'm not alone in feeling this way.

I understand that people who have twitch streams, youtube channels or forums that depend on the success of games they focus on for revenue is important and they will shill for the game every chance they get, but I don't make a fucking penny on this game so I have no issue saying it's boring as fuck. I want to love this MK game and I won't stop voicing my opinion on it until it changes.

Im tired of people just shitting on the game on an MK forum and labeling it as "discussion". You guys come off as whiners and some of the things you say about the game aren't even true. Y'all are so negative about it that the people who like the game can't even have a real discussion with you bc they are too busy defending it. For example, cherny can post a vid saying that this the most unbalanced game in NRS history and act like hes being constructive. People then chime in and support simply for the wish that they change something in the game even if they don't agree.

Just look at the thread title. The game isn't even out 2 years and people want to say it's dead. Not only that, but it's suggesting that NRS should maybe stop supporting it. Really? If changes to the game mechanics are what you want.....thats support. Y'all really need to learn the difference between being constructive and straight up bitching.

623HS

Noob
In theory, your first sentence is correct, but in practice, it is not (not always anyway). Most BTB games use a thing called Proximity Guard to detect when you should block as a Hitbox enters your proximity.

What usually happens, is you start blocking before the move hits and in some cases, you’re stuck in a block animation even in spots where you could walk back enough to have the move whiff.

SFV is a bit of a mess in a few areas, but I’m convinced they made the proximity guard on Laura’s really really slow fireball extra large, so you are locked into a blocking animation at sweep range, even though it’d take like 20-30 more frames to hit you and you could easily walk backwards faster than it travels, but it helps with her pressure/vortex game.

Also, to be frank, with some of the hit/hurt boxes I’ve seen in this game, I’d be worried if NRS had to control proximity guard boxes as well.
in some games moves have different proximity guard range so some of them can be used to catch filthy backwalkers too and diffent crossup protection for each move to prevent ambiguous stuff unless intended. injustice implemented it poorly and doesnt have both thats probably why nrs players dont like btb as much

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
probably why nrs players dont like btb as much
I wouldn't say that -- I'd just say that Injustice and MK are two different franchises, and MK is likely always going to be based around the block button.

People have lots of fun in Injustice with crossup setups and the like. They're just two different games, with two distinct identities, and most people hope they stay that way.