What's new

Is the DC Film Universe getting a bad rep?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I liked all three as well, but I can understand Man of Steel and BvS... those films were polarising.I loved them, but I can see what people dislike about it. (make sure you see the ultimate Cut of BvS it is a zilllion times better)

Suicide Squad though is fucking awesome. I mean it has a few problems but it is like easy better than most comic films. I mean it is no Iron Man 3 or Thor 2 or X-Men (nearly all of them), it is totally watchable. The reviews are completely out of whack.,. most people I know really REALLY liked it or enjoyed it.

Angry Joe and Variant Comics gave a positive review for example

Last edited:

Jynks

What is funny is that SS is like making massive bank. Highest Grossing ever beating Guardians of the Galaxy (imo the best of the MCU films). So the DCMU is doing fine. The websites are just so strange about it. I mean Ghostbusters flopped on its ass and hardly any articles about it and how bad it did at the box office. Meanwhile SS is breaking records and all the articles talk about what a failure it is. It dosn't make sense to me.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
What is funny is that SS is like making massive bank. Highest Grossing ever beating Guardians of the Galaxy (imo the best of the MCU films). So the DCMU is doing fine. The websites are just so strange about it. I mean Ghostbusters flopped on its ass and hardly any articles about it and how bad it did at the box office. Meanwhile SS is breaking records and all the articles talk about what a failure it is. It dosn't make sense to me.
Yes this is my biggest point. It almost feels like the industry wants DC to fail lol.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
For me what weighed down BvS was there were some great elements but they were severely weighed down because they were trying to cram so much shit in.

The good:
1. Ben Affleck as Batman. He was great imo, and Batman was handled very well. Him killing is kinda weird, but a Batman who has been at it for 20 years, Robin is dead(maybe?!? could be the Jason Todd story arc), and he has generally lost all faith in humanity so wasting some piece of shit human traffickers doesn't seem too far off.

2. People's take on Superman I thought was cool. It was really devisive, like people in real life would be about Superman.

What I'm mixed about:
1. Gal Gadot as WW was good but she was just shoehorned in there.

What I hated:
1. Lex was fucking awful and looked like the Johhny Depp Willy Wonka

2. Doomsday was fucking awful and looked like a downsy Ninja Turtle with AIDS.

So yeah it averaged like a 6 for me.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Man of Steel was ok, BvS was better than people give it credit, and Suicide Squad was pure awesome.

These 30% critic scores or whatever makes me believe that these critics are paid off. How someone can watch Suicide Squad with an open mind and give it a 30%, but then say Age of Ultron was an epic movie is beyond me.

E

Eldriken

For me what weighed down BvS was there were some great elements but they were severely weighed down because they were trying to cram so much shit in.

The good:
1. Ben Affleck as Batman. He was great imo, and Batman was handled very well. Him killing is kinda weird, but a Batman who has been at it for 20 years, Robin is dead(maybe?!? could be the Jason Todd story arc), and he has generally lost all faith in humanity so wasting some piece of shit human traffickers doesn't seem too far off.

2. People's take on Superman I thought was cool. It was really devisive, like people in real life would be about Superman.

What I'm mixed about:
1. Gal Gadot as WW was good but she was just shoehorned in there.

What I hated:
1. Lex was fucking awful and looked like the Johhny Depp Willy Wonka

2. Doomsday was fucking awful and looked like a downsy Ninja Turtle with AIDS.

So yeah it averaged like a 6 for me.
I really like Batfleck. I'd be happy if he's the new face of Batman for a while to come.

Doomsday was just...what the fuck were they thinking? When I originally found out Doomsday was supposedly in the movie, I was absolutely stoked. I was just curious how he would find his way into the movie. I didn't think that a fucking HUMAN was going to create him. -_- He was created, but not by some dude with a Kryptonian's body.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I really like Batfleck. I'd be happy if he's the new face of Batman for a while to come.

Doomsday was just...what the fuck were they thinking? When I originally found out Doomsday was supposedly in the movie, I was absolutely stoked. I was just curious how he would find his way into the movie. I didn't think that a fucking HUMAN was going to create him. -_- He was created, but not by some dude with a Kryptonian's body.
Yeah DD was awful.

Only thing about Batman is, if he is down with killing, there is no way Joker and most of the SS would be alive lol

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Man of Steel was ok, BvS was better than people give it credit, and Suicide Squad was pure awesome.

These 30% critic scores or whatever makes me believe that these critics are paid off. How someone can watch Suicide Squad with an open mind and give it a 30%, but then say Age of Ultron was an epic movie is beyond me.
Jesse Einsenberg ruined BvS for me. Like Lex Luthor seemed so out of character and the main thing that probably ruined it along with Doomsday

Jynks

yeah, it is not citizen cain.. but 26%... that is just total bullshit on an epic level dude. rofl.

Also just to be clear when I say "reviewers have no credibility" I mean all of them. Game Reviewers, Reviewers of non-DCMU films... just all of them seam to be completely out of touch and incapable of recognising what is good and what is bad.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Jesse Einsenberg ruined BvS for me. Like Lex Luthor seemed so out of character and the main thing that probably ruined it along with Doomsday
Doomsday was garbage, but I thought Lex was ok. Overall I thought it was "decent". Could've been better, but it wasn't an unwatchable Green Lantern level movie like the scores tried to indicate.

Meanwhile Civil War had enough plot holes to start a pipeline, bad comedy during intense scenes, and barely any character development outside of 3 people and was considered GOAT level.

Something doesn't add up imo.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Doomsday was garbage, but I thought Lex was ok. Overall I thought it was "decent". Could've been better, but it wasn't an unwatchable Green Lantern level movie like the scores tried to indicate.

Meanwhile Civil War had enough plot holes to start a pipeline, bad comedy during intense scenes, and barely any character development outside of 3 people and was considered GOAT level.

What were the plot holes in Civil War? I can catch some here and there but I usually need a rewatch a movie to really notice things. I tend to just sit and enjoy the ride.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

Civil War wasn't the second coming of Christ like everyone says. The reason I loved it though was that it had been built up for so long.

Error

DF2+R2
I liked both movies, MOS and BvS but can see why people didn't like them. I'm also generally uninterested/unhype for the recent big Marvel titles, I'd rather watch grimdark edgy DC, than "we're in grave danger and people are dying, time to make a pun" that happens in most of the Marvel films.

I also think people seem to purposely misconstrue the "Martha" scene in BvS just to be annoying. I didn't care much for the Joker-Lex hybrid style Lex, but I think the director's cut showed Lex being more true to his character with how deep his manipulation had been going in the plot. Batfleck is probably my favorite Batman portrayal in any medium.

Jynks

Batfleck is probably my favorite Batman portrayal in any medium.
Have you seen Batman voiced by Peter Weller in "Batman : The Dark Knight Returns (part 1 and 2)"?

Also... Granny would be so awesome in injustice... man I hope that happens!

Error

DF2+R2
Have you seen Batman voiced by Peter Weller in "Batman : The Dark Knight Returns (part 1 and 2)"?

Also... Granny would be so awesome in injustice... man I hope that happens!
If that's the one where he has a heart attack and then still claims he beat Superman, then I didn't really care for that one much, but it's been a long time since I've seen it.

And Goodness must triumph.

Jynks

If that's the one where he has a heart attack and then still claims he beat Superman, then I didn't really care for that one much, but it's been a long time since I've seen it.
Yeah that is the one.. I tink it is one of the best batman's you can see outside of comics.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
What were the plot holes in Civil War? I can catch some here and there but I usually need a rewatch a movie to really notice things. I tend to just sit and enjoy the ride.
When plot holes are so vulgar that I feel disrespected for watching, it lingers with me. Off the top of my head-

-General Ross says the Avengers need to be regulated because they save people but don't care about the cost of others lives, and this is a main plot. Yet had no problem dropping a nuclear bomb on New York City that would kill or radiate everyone to stop a crisis.

-In the comics, everyone and their grandma was involved. In the movie only a few characters were, and most of them are insignificant. The entire story is different/inferior but when it's DC people cry that Batman killed a dude so it's not true to the story.

-Vision was coincidentally missing from the opening scene for the sole purpose of the scene itself setting up the first arc.

-Cap gives Bucky a hard time about not killing anyone, but has no problem with Falcon blowing dudes up clean with missiles and shooting them.

-A rookie SpiderMan but Tony Stark knew his identity?? How? When? He just magically does. But when Lex knows things about characters "with no explanation" as to how in BvS it supposedly ruined the movie.

-In 1991 Cap was frozen. How could he possibly have known who killed Tony's parents? Did Nick Fury tell him, "yo btw, I saw a secret vid of yo boy Bucky killing Tony's parents. Keep it on the low."? Why are there 21st century cameras on the side of abandoned roads in 1991 recording 24/7 in perfect position to capture a murder?

-But the biggest, the baddest of them all is- NEMO'S PLAN, THE MAIN ARC, LITERALLY MAKES NO SENSE. His main plan was to force them to fight, and was already planned after Ultron's movie. But 1) How could he possibly know the Avengers would split due to the Accord politics? 2) How did he know Cap and Bucky would find the outpost, let alone even be together finding it? 3) How did he magically know that Falcon would be locked in a cell, and give up the location to the guy that put him there so IronMan can arrive the only possible way? 4) If IronMan wasn't given this information what was his plan, to stay locked inside with Cap and Bucky and dead Winter Soldiers he killed instead of using? 5) etc. Horrible, horrible main plot but GOAT level story.

One of the most overrated movies of the modern era. It was average to me. Too many plot holes and too much bad comedy in the middle of serious scenes killed my hype when watching it. 5/10 imo. But GOAT level movie lol.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Yea i said it the BvS thread here that ive always felt like DC movies have gotten a bad rep from the beginning...which is interesting to me because marvel films are doing this happy go lucky mix of drama and comedy...something DC had done with the Batman films that everyone hates from back in the day...and shifted in later years...

I always find that interesting...i Enjoyed BvS and i have yet to see suicide squad but there is nothing wrong with liking what might be considered "bad films"...your talking to a guy who actually ENJOYED Adam Sandlers "Pixels"...lol

...Long story short while i dont feel like ppl are being "bribed" i do feel like critics do have it out for DC films..pick a review and it really does show

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
Why do I always have to be the voice of reason? Sigh. Long post inbound, grab something to drink.

Man of Steel: One of if not the best Superman movie...EVER. PERIOD. Several people did not like the destruction yet love when that SAME LEVEL OF DESTRUCTION is animated. Let me tell you that tat was one of the MAIN focuses of MoS. Superman is YOUNG, DUMB, AND FULL OF..indecision. You don't become the Almighty Superman overnight. He has control of his powers just not to the degree of being able to hold back. ZOD WAS LOOKINGTO DESTROY EARTH, so OF COURSE he and company gave no shits about collateral damage, so do you think a young INEXPERIENCED Superman could fight against these MILITARY TRAINED WARRIORS without explosions going off everywhere. No even then he was not going full force. Just like Bitch Face Kyrptonian said "YOUR MORALITY IS YOUR WEAKNESS." He wouldn't cut loose cause even at a young age he was taught to hold back, be the bigger man, you know your powerful so show some restraint.

The pacing: Yes slow at first but that's any origin story, had he started off in the suit we'd have Superman Returns.

Superman: I tend to feel like noone has even read a comic these days. Superman HAS and ALWAYS will be miserable. Your God amongst ants...noone can relate to Superman..NOT EVEN THE READER. DUDE could you IMAGINE HOW INSANE YOUD BE IF YOU COULD HEAR EEEEEEVVVVEEERRRYYYTTTHHIIINNNGGG. That means you can hear all the murdering, child raping, regular raping, horrible DISGUSTING things humans are capable of and YET you STILL fight tooth and nail for that one family you hear having lunch together, laughing and having a good ole time. Superman is the most heartbreaking of ALLLLLLLLL SUPERHEROES. Snyder captures that and Henry Cavill does great showing the BURDEN IT IS TO JUST BE YOU.

Zod: Zod made that movie. Period. Kneel bitches.

Batman vs Superman: DAWN OF JUSTICE. KEYWORDS DAWWWNN OOFFF JUUUSSTTIICE. To me this movie was great, I loved it. Seen it more times then I've seen Civil War and I've been waiting to see Black Batman..er I mean Black Panther for decades. WB cut ALOT out yet the movie still served its purpose, showing the aftermath of MoS while also setting up the JL.

Led: Hit or miss on how he was portrayed, not in his execution however. He clearly hates all forms of higher power, he was abused and maybe worse and grew up think God was a cruel being. Then comes God himself and Led is like. "Where was yo antennas when the big bitch jumped on me? Nowhere to be found huh..yeah fuck God and you too for being a physical representation of EVERYTHING I HATE."
Manipulating Bruce was EASY
I liked both movies, MOS and BvS but can see why people didn't like them. I'm also generally uninterested/unhype for the recent big Marvel titles, I'd rather watch grimdark edgy DC, than "we're in grave danger and people are dying, time to make a pun" that happens in most of the Marvel films.

I also think people seem to purposely misconstrue the "Martha" scene in BvS just to be annoying. I didn't care much for the Joker-Lex hybrid style Lex, but I think the director's cut showed Lex being more true to his character with how deep his manipulation had been going in the plot. Batfleck is probably my favorite Batman portrayal in any medium.
This. This this this this this this.

^This

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
-In the comics, everyone and their grandma was involved. In the movie only a few characters were, and most of them are insignificant. The entire story is different/inferior but when it's DC people cry that Batman killed a dude so it's not true to the story.
I definitely didn't like that one. My friend read the story and told me some parts, and some pretty awesome shit was missing from "CIvil War".

In 1991 Cap was frozen. How could he possibly have known who killed Tony's parents? Did Nick Fury tell him, "yo btw, I saw a secret vid of yo boy Bucky killing Tony's parents. Keep it on the low."? Why are there 21st century cameras on the side of abandoned roads in 1991 recording 24/7 in perfect position to capture a murder?
Be honest, that's EXACTLY how Samuel L. Jackson would tell Captain America.

-A rookie SpiderMan but Tony Stark knew his identity?? How? When? He just magically does. But when Lex knows things about characters "with no explanation" as to how in BvS it supposedly ruined the movie.
Hopefully that will be explained in Spider-man (20xx). Which is exactly one of the problems with how WB is doing the DC movies. Shit that would be fine and work if the characters had a known history. Even a freaking 30 minute quick adventure before the movie. There's literally no history being shown in DC except for the big 3 (and technically Flash. Which was the hypest part of that movie for me.)

-General Ross says the Avengers need to be regulated because they save people but don't care about the cost of others lives, and this is a main plot. Yet had no problem dropping a nuclear bomb on New York City that would kill or radiate everyone to stop a crisis.
-Vision was coincidentally missing from the opening scene for the sole purpose of the scene itself setting up the first arc.

-But the biggest, the baddest of them all is- NEMO'S PLAN, THE MAIN ARC, LITERALLY MAKES NO SENSE. His main plan was to force them to fight, and was already planned after Ultron's movie. But 1) How could he possibly know the Avengers would split due to the Accord politics? 2) How did he know Cap and Bucky would find the outpost, let alone even be together finding it? 3) How did he magically know that Falcon would be locked in a cell, and give up the location to the guy that put him there so IronMan can arrive the only possible way? 4) If IronMan wasn't given this information what was his plan, to stay locked inside with Cap and Bucky and dead Winter Soldiers he killed instead of using? 5) etc. Horrible, horrible main plot but GOAT level story.
The rest of that shit is definitely big fuck ups in the storytelling department. Thanks for the info. I think it's to be assumed he figured they'd track the rest of the super soldier program. But yeah overall seeing all this info it's a fuck up.

Man of Steel: One of if not the best Superman movie...EVER. PERIOD. Several people did not like the destruction yet love when that SAME LEVEL OF DESTRUCTION is animated. Let me tell you that tat was one of the MAIN focuses of MoS. Superman is YOUNG, DUMB, AND FULL OF..indecision. You don't become the Almighty Superman overnight. He has control of his powers just not to the degree of being able to hold back. ZOD WAS LOOKINGTO DESTROY EARTH, so OF COURSE he and company gave no shits about collateral damage, so do you think a young INEXPERIENCED Superman could fight against these MILITARY TRAINED WARRIORS without explosions going off everywhere. No even then he was not going full force. Just like Bitch Face Kyrptonian said "YOUR MORALITY IS YOUR WEAKNESS." He wouldn't cut loose cause even at a young age he was taught to hold back, be the bigger man, you know your powerful so show some restraint.
Superman: I tend to feel like noone has even read a comic these days. Superman HAS and ALWAYS will be miserable. Your God amongst ants...noone can relate to Superman..NOT EVEN THE READER. DUDE could you IMAGINE HOW INSANE YOUD BE IF YOU COULD HEAR EEEEEEVVVVEEERRRYYYTTTHHIIINNNGGG. That means you can hear all the murdering, child raping, regular raping, horrible DISGUSTING things humans are capable of and YET you STILL fight tooth and nail for that one family you hear having lunch together, laughing and having a good ole time. Superman is the most heartbreaking of ALLLLLLLLL SUPERHEROES. Snyder captures that and Henry Cavill does great showing the BURDEN IT IS TO JUST BE YOU.
I agree with everything here. I find the character himself to not be too interesting because he's so powerful. But the stories told are great imo. And I think this a part a lot of people miss about telling a superman story the right way. Which Scott Snyder did pretty well. Though in BvS I felt there wasn't enough focus on superman. It didn't make the movie bad to me just something I noticed.

Last edited: