What's new

Question - Shaolin Is Shaolin secretly S tier ?

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Imo he is A or A+ but not S. Good opponents can correctly stop most of his stuff by blocking low most of the time and reacting to relatively slow overhead options.

If B12 was low overhead rather than low mid, that would make him S tier

Trustypatches

PSN: Boweeen, Twitch: rBoweeen
A few things here lol

Watch Slayer vs Shujinkydink and tell me about his easily reactable overhead game.

And f2 only being valuable when followed up with 4? No. No no no.

F2 into low chakram mixed with just regular low chakram at f2 max distance keep opponents honest at max footsie range. F2 is one of the better overhead tools in the game, if its verticle hurtbox was better, it'd be broken. Its also a strong tool vs GM Sub, Tanya at mid distance, Kung Lao trying to get in, after back dashes and other situations.
And his f3 is part of a meta that was important months ago, you should not be abusing it much. And 29% one bar? I'm getting low-mid 30s with low and overhead starter which is good given his other tools.

His tools are completely understated.
His up kick/up kick into drop is a real 50/50 on block. In the corner, Kung Jin wrecks anybody. You hit them with a corner combo the back dash you are out of many armor moves (minus slides) range yet still in range of f2 or b1's disjointed hit box into 41% damage one bar and the same setup or 27% meter less into same set up.

Sincerely, a long time Shaolin main as well.

PS - around 17 frames is the reactable point but not consistently especially when they have to worry about 1 into walk up grab, b1 and f2.
Deleted my original because I felt it was too long, but I still believe everything I said. If you genuinely believe that using f2 in the neutral is a good idea then I don't know what to say really. It is 19 frames and 34 on recovery. As I say, the people I play against react to it all the time... Also f2 low chakram? 10% and +1 on hit??? and 29% off the f3 mixup... I was just pointing out the risk reward with THAT mixup. Backdashing after shaolin drop puts you slightly - and still in range of most forward advancing mids (e.g Laos' f2) so I personally wouldn't advise doing that. Do not tell me empty upkicks are 50/50's LOL. Online or playing someone who doesn't know the MU... maybe, but that is gimmicky. Why would I judge the character on how Dink played against it? I didn't know we looked at tiers by how some players dealt with the character. Seems to me like you are judging some of these tools from the perspective of playing people that can't react to the oh, and can't react to empty upkicks... JS. Also, what 27% meterless are you getting in the corner? (not f2d1 divekick or njp I mean)

Again, I deleted my post because I wasn't getting any notifications from this thread and I felt like I just posted a big wall that was being ignored lol.

ALSO: Why does every Shaolin player seem oblivious to upkick whiff issue against about a third of the cast that can consistently punish it? The only reason it isn't being punished is because no-one knows about it. This hurts the character so much.

Last edited:

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
This is a very different community.

If you go to Subzero forums its: "lol B2, 17 frames reactable overhead." here everyone is defending a 19 frame overhead.

To put into perspective though, the average reaction time is about 0.25s for gamers, aka 15 frames. The thing is though that Kung Jin's F2 and B1 have very similar tells on the first 6 or so frames. This means that what you have to react to, only happens for like 13 frames. Its not to say someone can't get used to fuzzying it/reacting to it by learning the tells early on.. But it does mean its reliable to think otherwise. 15 frames isn't a be all ends all either... its an average, that means some people can very well react in 13 frames (something I feel like people gloss over daily)

Shaolin is awesome. I love watching this character and he really assists strong fundamental play. I personally think he's the highest tier honest character.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
This is a very different community.

If you go to Subzero forums its: "lol B2, 17 frames reactable overhead." here everyone is defending a 19 frame overhead.

To put into perspective though, the average reaction time is about 0.25s for gamers, aka 15 frames. The thing is though that Kung Jin's F2 and B1 have very similar tells on the first 6 or so frames. This means that what you have to react to, only happens for like 13 frames. Its not to say someone can't get used to fuzzying it/reacting to it by learning the tells early on.. But it does mean its reliable to think otherwise. 15 frames isn't a be all ends all either... its an average, that means some people can very well react in 13 frames (something I feel like people gloss over daily)

Shaolin is awesome. I love watching this character and he really assists strong fundamental play. I personally think he's the highest tier honest character.
They're Scrub-Zero players, what would you expect from GM mains?lol

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Deleted my original because I felt it was too long, but I still believe everything I said. If you genuinely believe that using f2 in the neutral is a good idea then I don't know what to say really. It is 19 frames and 34 on recovery. As I say, the people I play against react to it all the time... Also f2 low chakram? 10% and +1 on hit??? and 29% off the f3 mixup... I was just pointing out the risk reward with THAT mixup. Backdashing after shaolin drop puts you slightly - and still in range of most forward advancing mids (e.g Laos' f2) so I personally wouldn't advise doing that. Do not tell me empty upkicks are 50/50's LOL. Online or playing someone who doesn't know the MU... maybe, but that is gimmicky. Why would I judge the character on how Dink played against it? I didn't know we looked at tiers by how some players dealt with the character. Seems to me like you are judging some of these tools from the perspective of playing people that can't react to the oh, and can't react to empty upkicks... JS. Also, what 27% meterless are you getting in the corner?

Again, I deleted my post because I wasn't getting any notifications from this thread and I felt like I just posted a big wall that was being ignored lol.

ALSO: Why does every Shaolin player seem oblivious to upkick whiff issue against about a third of the cast that can consistently punish it? The only reason it isn't being punished is because no-one knows about it. This hurts the character so much.
Up kick is -7 on block, drop is -7 on block. If they anticipate the other you are free to d1. You don't know that tho.
+1 on hit at half screen is good especially since low chakram on hit pushes them back further and you get 31% off combo on hit. You don't know that tho.

If you don't know spacing then that's your problem but you don't know me I guess and that's okay.

I never said just a bare f2.

Bro, if you oki with f2 or b1 at back dash then that takes out the damn ARMORED WAKEUPS like I said. But you don't know that tho.

You can't know that because you don't know me. You are barking up the wrong tree. I have been away for some time, but not many people know ShaoJin like I know ShaoJin.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Woah dude.
Kung Jin overhead being 19 frames is fine. It couldnt be much faster because the range. In Shaolin, you shouldnt be thinking about using arrow. In fact, forget the arrow lol

And KJ NJP is godlike dude, I didn't think anybody would complain about his njp lol ever.

But to answer OP, I have been saying this a while...but his lack of meterless damage, slow movement speed, generally unsafe and the fact he has to catch his chakram before he can move takes away from his full screen game.

Def A+, close to S
Exactly what this guy said. Soooo solid but just not quite S tier

gam224

The world's least hype player
If he was in a game without Quan, Lao, Tanya and other ridiculous characters...then yes.
He's really good but like I said, his movement speed and inability to get in with mb chakram like every other boomerang character can is an issue

How do you mean? He is safe on shit.

That means Kitana doesn't have to take a lot of risks, Jax, Kotal, Kano, Quan, Tanya, so-on. Do you get that this game isn't about huge risks?
Jax has to take some risks. If you are going to get good damage off his overhead options. Same with kotal. Kitana is safe but has to go for armoured counter pokes to get any real offense going. Kano lacks range on his 50/50s but yes he is pretty safe and quan w/o meter is pretty risky. Tanya you have a point with. The thing about Jin is he is plus off of his chakram against several characters , f243 is hot confirmable if he doesn't have meter and is all of -5 off his back 213. His anti zoning is also very safe with shaolin drop neon relatively safe

Trustypatches

PSN: Boweeen, Twitch: rBoweeen
Up kick is -7 on block, drop is -7 on block. If they anticipate the other you are free to d1. You don't know that tho.
+1 on hit at half screen is good especially since low chakram on hit pushes them back further and you get 31% off combo on hit. You don't know that tho.

If you don't know spacing then that's your problem but you don't know me I guess and that's okay.

I never said just a bare f2.

Bro, if you oki with f2 or b1 at back dash then that takes out the damn ARMORED WAKEUPS like I said. But you don't know that tho.

You can't know that because you don't know me. You are barking up the wrong tree. I have been away for some time, but not many people know ShaoJin like I know ShaoJin.
It isn't about anticipating, it is about reacting. It is not a 50/50 lol, get that out of your head. If you back dash, you are slightly -. They do not have to respect b1 or the (reactable) f2. Why the hell would I care who you are lol, stop bigging yourself up. I don't space with a 19 frame move that is death on whiff... sorry. Jump back 1 in the corner is good and same goes for walkback, but backdash is not.

FinalBoss_FGC

Whats your 41% one meter combo corzz? cant find it in the combo thread.
In corner
Starter~mb low chakram, njp, 4~up arrow, 34, ia divekick, 34~up kick drop

Jax has to take some risks. If you are going to get good damage off his overhead options. Same with kotal. Kitana is safe but has to go for armoured counter pokes to get any real offense going. Kano lacks range on his 50/50s but yes he is pretty safe and quan w/o meter is pretty risky. Tanya you have a point with. The thing about Jin is he is plus off of his chakram against several characters , f243 is hot confirmable if he doesn't have meter and is all of -5 off his back 213. His anti zoning is also very sa
It isn't about anticipating, it is about reacting. It is not a 50/50 lol, get that out of your head. If you back dash, you are slightly -. They do not have to respect b1 or the (reactable) f2. Why the hell would I care who you are lol, stop bigging yourself up. I don't space with a 19 frame move that is death on whiff... sorry. Jump back 1 in the corner is good and same goes for walkback, but backdash is not.
We should play

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
You are not reacting to Dubs OH you are making a read
Read my post above. I don't know why everyone fights over this "reactable" and "not reactable" shit among eachother so often on these forums. It changes per person, and despite popular belief, not everyone is average when it comes to reaction speeds. I don't know what several pros reaction speeds are, so I'll just use one I know. Bjergsen from LoL had a reaction speed of 190ms (when I used to follow league), aka 11.4 frames.

Saying someone can't react to a move, because either you can't or an average person can't is just flat out false. Who are you to say they can't? The average reaction speed is around 250ms, aka 15 frames. Some people very well could react to Sub's OH, same with Jin's... Hell even Johnny's... There's no exact number that measures every human lol, yet everyone here always acts like there is.

FinalBoss_FGC

Read my post above. I don't know why everyone fights over this "reactable" and "not reactable" shit among eachother so often on these forums. It changes per person, and despite popular belief, not everyone is average when it comes to reaction speeds. I don't know what several pros reaction speeds are, so I'll just use one I know. Bjergsen from LoL had a reaction speed of 190ms (when I used to follow league), aka 11.4 frames.

Saying someone can't react to a move, because either you can't or an average person can't is just flat out false. Who are you to say they can't? The average reaction speed is around 250ms, aka 15 frames. Some people very well could react to Sub's OH, same with Jin's... Hell even Johnny's... There's no exact number that measures every human lol, yet everyone here always acts like there is.
If its an average person's reaction, then its fair to use that as a basis. Correct?

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
If its an average person's reaction, then its fair to use that as a basis. Correct?
As a basis, yes. Calling people out because there's absolutely no way someone can react to it... Hell no. Its safe to say its "hard to react" to Sub's overhead. Thats not saying no one can do it. Same goes for Kung Jin. I wrote above though, a big thing is early frame tells and Kung Jin's OH and Low both look very similar on the first few frames making it much more difficult to react to.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!

Lol you are such a Ninja

It's not wheather its reactable on paper there are multiple factors to follow as in animations, time of input, multitasking so I fail to believe it's reactable , how to test is have a real person only do B2 and you have to crouch and can only stand up to block B2

So try get a first to 10 for every time you stand up prematurely or get hit by the overhead you lose a point for every block you get 1

Last edited:

FinalBoss_FGC

As a basis, yes. Calling people out because there's absolutely no way someone can react to it... Hell no. Its safe to say its "hard to react" to Sub's overhead. Thats not saying no one can do it. Same goes for Kung Jin. I wrote above though, a big thing is early frame tells and Kung Jin's OH and Low both look very similar on the first few frames making it much more difficult to react to.
That's fair.

And in fighting games, I think its more reads than reaction in the heat of the moment anyways.

The Highlander

There can be only one

But saying react is different in different games. We can easily react to about 15 frames if you're talking about a dot that changes colour. Seeing and correctly blocking a 50/50 is different entirely. There is no-one in this community that can see a 17 frame overhead and block it every single time... Never mind a 15 frame overhead lol.

Try this out http://www.teyah.net/MilliaBlocker_v0.3.swf it's a better predictor of reaction times in a fighting game setting.