What's new

Question - Shaolin Is Shaolin secretly S tier ?

gibster13

A fan of fans
Sup peeps,

I have been playing shaolin for a while and I believe this character could be S tier. Most people seem to think Kung jin is A/A+ which is guess is understandable but when really looking at what he has got, for me it clear this character is insane. This character is probably the most safe in the game ?

His normals are all (pretty much) insane.
B1- 13f low with a godlike range.
S1- +2 on block and godlike anti air
S2- 7f high
F2- Overhead with mental range
D1- godlike anti air
U1- godlike anti and +2

His strings and specials are also insane
B123- Is one of the strings that make shaolin great. Unlike there other two where b14 sometimes whiffs, the b12 lunges him forward which is insane
F24- Is overhead
111-Can make it impossible for some characters to actually get near to him
221-Armour breaking 7f
db1(and ex)- Good for pressure, chip and zoning
bf1-Zoning and chip
db3 d4- Insane chiip and safe!

This is all MY OPINION and I expect the down players to attack me but oh well. I feel @YOMI SLAYER shows a great deal of about this character. Slayers and Kung jin anti airs and conversions make it hard for players to establish a neutral.

Obviously Shaolin has its weakness but there are so few

PPJ tier list also places him in S tier

Last edited:

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
what are you talking about?S tier?he has 19 frames ovhd which means no 50/50,after the 1st hit if you block low you have nothing to fear and many to punish.his njp is -16,his ex arrows that are plus even if they are mid can be crouched......so no!
he is a very good char but not an S.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
what are you talking about?S tier?he has 19 frames ovhd which means no 50/50,after the 1st hit if you block low you have nothing to fear and many to punish.his njp is -16,his ex arrows that are plus even if they are mid can be crouched......so no!
he is a very good char but not an S.
Woah dude.
Kung Jin overhead being 19 frames is fine. It couldnt be much faster because the range. In Shaolin, you shouldnt be thinking about using arrow. In fact, forget the arrow lol

And KJ NJP is godlike dude, I didn't think anybody would complain about his njp lol ever.

But to answer OP, I have been saying this a while...but his lack of meterless damage, slow movement speed, generally unsafe and the fact he has to catch his chakram before he can move takes away from his full screen game.

Def A+, close to S

gibster13

A fan of fans
Woah dude.
Kung Jin overhead being 19 frames is fine. It couldnt be much faster because the range. In Shaolin, you shouldnt be thinking about using arrow. In fact, forget the arrow lol

And KJ NJP is godlike dude, I didn't think anybody would complain about his njp lol ever.

But to answer OP, I have been saying this a while...but his lack of meterless damage, slow movement speed, generally unsafe and the fact he has to catch his chakram before he can move takes away from his full screen game.

Def A+, close to S
I agree

stamatis

Woah dude.

Def A+, close to S
he is fine,i am not complaining but not S tier.

FinalBoss_FGC

Long time Shaolin main here. He's a great character and in my view A+, but not for the reasons people say.

His 50/50 game is not strong, I play with people that can react to the oh consistently online. His oh range is so overplayed too, as the range is only useful when the 4 of f24 will connect, which is a fair bit smaller. I also want to mention how bad is other mixup options with f3 are. f3 and f3xx ex low chakram... the oh of f3 hitting for 5%, and the ex low chakram having a gap you can punish with armor. You spend a bar to get 29% midscreen or get punished by most characters if blocked.

This character is strong because of his outrageous tools that he can throw out in the neutral which characters tend to not have an answer to. 11, jump back 2, jump back divekick, instant divekick, njp, b1, j2 and j1 in general, a projectile that low profiles all high projectiles (in other words he beats out most characters in the zoning war) and more. The fact that you can make his whiffed instant jump ins (which are already ridiculous) relatively safe on whiff by canceling into ex divekick (only ex slide with reptile can punish at the further ranges on block) is absurd and many characters cannot compete with that. He has some of the best normals when it comes to aa's, and whenever he touches you he can convert with an ia divekick then get great oki with his upkick shoalin drop HKD. This makes me want to mention how he has some of the best oki in the game, with his throw being +17 on hit, he gets a guarenteed run up b1 midscreen. He gets guarenteed oki no matter how he knocks you down (f3, shaolin drop, ex cartwheel, throw).

The last thing I wanted to say which makes this character A+ is his blockstrings. b123 xx upkick xx shaolin drop is safe, builds half a bar, and does 7.13% chip damage.

If it wasn't for his whiff issues (I made a thread about it if anyone was curious http://testyourmight.com/threads/welcome-to-part-1-1-of-up-kick-is-not-working-properly.57892/) I do think this character would be S.
A few things here lol

Watch Slayer vs Shujinkydink and tell me about his easily reactable overhead game.

And f2 only being valuable when followed up with 4? No. No no no.

F2 into low chakram mixed with just regular low chakram at f2 max distance keep opponents honest at max footsie range. F2 is one of the better overhead tools in the game, if its verticle hurtbox was better, it'd be broken. Its also a strong tool vs GM Sub, Tanya at mid distance, Kung Lao trying to get in, after back dashes and other situations.
And his f3 is part of a meta that was important months ago, you should not be abusing it much. And 29% one bar? I'm getting low-mid 30s with low and overhead starter which is good given his other tools.

His tools are completely understated.
His up kick/up kick into drop is a real 50/50 on block. In the corner, Kung Jin wrecks anybody. You hit them with a corner combo the back dash you are out of many armor moves (minus slides) range yet still in range of f2 or b1's disjointed hit box into 41% damage one bar and the same setup or 27% meter less into same set up.

Sincerely, a long time Shaolin main as well.

PS - around 17 frames is the reactable point but not consistently especially when they have to worry about 1 into walk up grab, b1 and f2.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
Sup peeps,

I have been playing shaolin for a while and I believe this character could be S tier. Most people seem to think Kung jin is A/A+ which is guess is understandable but when really looking at what he has got, for me it clear this character is insane. This character is probably the most safe in the game ?

S2- 7f high
D1- godlike anti air
U1- godlike anti and +2

B123- Is one of the strings that make shaolin great. Unlike there other two where b14 sometimes whiffs, the b12 lunges him forward which is insane
F24- Is overhead
221-Armour breaking 7f
bf1-Zoning and chip

This is all MY OPINION and I expect the down players to attack me but oh well. I feel @YOMI SLAYER shows a great deal of about this character. Slayers and Kung jin anti airs and conversions make it hard for players to establish a neutral.

NERF.

I also think this character is much better than realized.

- safe armor
- standing reset with f3
- safe pressure and chip
- great pressure and mix ups
- great hit confirm able damage
- great anti zoning in chakram
- mmh teleport lol in up kick
- low execution barrier
- decent pokes but cancel able to mb chakram to catch them twitching

The list goes on. I also agree he is good. Only character that I think really gives him issues is a good HQT.

stamatis

Sup peeps,

S2- 7f high
D1- godlike anti air
U1- godlike anti and +2

F24- Is overhead
221-Armour breaking 7f
bf1-Zoning and chip

- safe armor
- standing reset with f3
- safe pressure and chip
- low execution barrier

The list goes on. I also agree he is good. Only character that I think really gives him issues is a good HQT.
Make a video of you reacting to it 10/10 times everytime against a kung jin.
Edit:Oh yeah, i forgot.You main kung jin.Of course you would easily react to it...
Woah dude.

Def A+, close to S
ok guys S++

FinalBoss_FGC

- safe armor
- standing reset with f3
- safe pressure and chip
- low execution barrier

I think he loses to HQT, Tempest Lao, and maybe Tanya. But all are 4-6...Tanya is prolly 4.5-5.5

FinalBoss_FGC

ok guys S++
If he was in a game without Quan, Lao, Tanya and other ridiculous characters...then yes.
He's really good but like I said, his movement speed and inability to get in with mb chakram like every other boomerang character can is an issue

This character has to take 0 risks
How do you mean? He is safe on shit.

That means Kitana doesn't have to take a lot of risks, Jax, Kotal, Kano, Quan, Tanya, so-on. Do you get that this game isn't about huge risks?