What's new

Is Kombat League fun, if so how would you rate the FUN FACTOR on a scale from 1-10?

Is Kombat League fun to anyone, if so how would you rate the FUN FACTOR on a scale from 1-10?

Votes: 23 17.6%

Votes: 7 5.3%

Votes: 7 5.3%

Votes: 12 9.2%

Votes: 9 6.9%

Votes: 14 10.7%

Votes: 3 2.3%

Votes: 11 8.4%

Votes: 4 3.1%

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Undecided because some days are good, other days suck balls

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Fun and Kombat League do not belong in the same sentence!!

• Total voters

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
It’s not rubbish, it’s fact. They do force you to play because if you want those skins, guess what?you have to play kL....what it does is cause stress and bs I shouldn’t have to deal with that’s what it does when they could have easily put it under the gauntlet or tot etc or as I’ve mentioned for sale. How hard is that? But they chose the moronic route and that’s why the poll speaks for itself look at those zeros....kL is not fun. Nrs normally yes but this isn’t extra anything other than extra unnecessary bs I have to deal with that I shouldn’t have to. Also I have plenty of casual friends who play it like mk but can get those because they’re not that good, that’s fair to them who paid 60+ for the game?bullshit it is.
The same way as you are forced to play single player modes when you want these skins. At the end, the game forces you to play its modes to gain the costumes which are in the game since day one which you payed for. With this kind of system you will always have people who might not get certain things.

Ontopic.
Combat league could be fun but there are a bunch of things which kinda ruins it. From a competitive aspect its a total joke and cant be taken serious due to the nature of making it a one month thing with a reset where everyone starts by zero. That's not how a good ranking system works. When you want to have seasons you always should take the rank someone managed to achieve into consideration for the next season and rise theire initial rank so that you don't place them into the "beginners" playerpool. The current system contradicts the goal of a skill based ranking system.

No region and ping + wifi filter is a downer too and really hurts the experience you get from your sets. I am not a fan of the first to 2 system either. In itself its a nice thing to have in a ranked environment but not with the current way the seasons work. On top of that would i rather allow people to switch just variations instead to go to a complete new char but i guess that's just a really personal thing as someone who never switch chars during a set. It would save a bunch of time....+ stage select should be introduced.

4/10

Last edited:

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
I gave it a 5. Major cons are the rank down if you don't play for a few days and the fact that ppl play VERY differently compared to private or kasual. It's either maniacal button mashing or extreme turtling.

It makes sense, most people will either go crazy or keep the risks to an absolute minimum if there's something on the line, but damn if it's not frustrating to play against that mentality. In kasual people are more likely to try new and different things, which in turn allows you too to be exposed to new situations. You learn more, you perform better, you gain more confidence with the character. It's all just so much better than KL.
Couldn‘t agree more. I also dislike the ft2 concept because it encourages this weird decision playing. It‘s crazy because when I‘m starting the league late I actually struggle way more in the lower ranks than in the higher ones and it‘s mainly because of these Yolo non rational playstyles I can‘t adapt to in such a short time.
Kausal competitive on the other side is really fun. Sometimes you get really good opponents you can do ft20-30 with without any bad blood in the End.

It's mostly ruined for me by all the kids throwing temper tantrums (with rad nicknames like xXVeNoM_55Xx) and the fact that it's FT2. Like what can I possibly learn from a FT2 against someone better than me? It's over before it starts. Only doing it for the skins

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Yeah,... Bo3 sucks ass.. It "felt" like they made it Bo3 to fit in with Evo as they refused to do Bo5 for MK and even though they have unique round rules for Teken, they were strait up about MK has to be Bo3. So I always felt (no proof) that the pro-leauge was designed to fit in with the biggest FCG event of the year.. but then they dumped up completely.

I think they should absolutely go Bo5 for Kombat League.

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
a few posts above i explain it.
the reset to the first rank every time for everyone leads already to a lot of onesided matches. being forced to play out then 3 matches instead of 2 is just wasting peoples time. would it be a real ranked system we might could talk about it but with the combat league how it is now...no thx.

Last edited:

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Really hated how it de-ranks you when you are not active. I barely touch it anymore.
Aside from me pretty much not enjoying MK11 as a whole whatsoever, this is the #1 reason I gave up on this dogshit mode. How dare I do anything aside from play awful Kombat League every day. Rank decay is some shit you see in garbage mobile "free to play" games.

Mr.Khen

I am you
2/10
KL is not a fun mode, definitely not designed for the older fanbase like myself I don't always have time to play 5 matches a day,
I switched to PC because I am tired of getting messages from toxic peeps. PC is less toxic by far in my experience, but that's only half of it..
1st match loser should NOT be allowed to change character, they always switch to Scorpion or Jade/Kabal so you would
have to deal with the bullcrap anndd from there on the match takes a turn towards to boring and expected especially
when they come one after the other like ahhh make this time warp end NRS, (unless they make so I am allowed to counter pick
upon opponent switching characters as well!)

The fact you unlock gear/skins and brutalities you cannot unlock any other way makes the matches focus more
on yolo-spamming and less on playing the game and getting better while at it unless you're lucky to meet that player who makes you feel like,
oh yeah, this is how you're actually supposed to play this game.

Overall I would love them to allow us to unlock skins in other online modes, casual matches
and not limit it to KL only, or allow us to use one of the 500 currencies they made for the game
to unlock the good stuff.

Regardless, brutalities should be free for all like wtf !

Last edited:
When you want to have seasons you always should take the rank someone managed to achieve into consideration for the next season and rise theire initial rank so that you don't place them into the "beginners" playerpool. The current system contradicts the goal of a skill based ranking system.
The problem is that this works against their rewards system. How do you give a reward for being at a top player rank when you start the season at rank #1? You can't, which is why everyone starts at 0, to make their rewards system work.

The problem is that they're mixing up a levelup system with ranking.

Firstly, ranks based on character should have been a thing. But the rewards should be based on things like beating X players at your rank/rank above. Moving up a rank for a character at the end of the season etc. That way it doesn't matter where you start you'll still get something for playing around your level, instead of matching up with a SonicFox hidey account, getting pummelled and losing 150pts because he started on day 20.

FWIW i don't play for the skins, i just play to try and have a few decent games. The most annoying thing is getting matched up with people waaaaaay above your level, and to a lesser degree those below you. It's no fun getting pummelled and holding block for 2rounds, and in the same way it's no fun pummelling players who don't know how to do a basic 1,1,2 combo.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
i have to admit that it was really fun to join my first match in this season to get that Skarlet skin than i quit immediately. Dude thought too much to pick someone against my Liu Kang. LoL.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Combat league could be fun but there are a bunch of things which kinda ruins it. From a competitive aspect its a total joke and cant be taken serious due to the nature of making it a one month thing with a reset where everyone starts by zero. That's not how a good ranking system works. When you want to have seasons you always should take the rank someone managed to achieve into consideration for the next season and rise theire initial rank so that you don't place them into the "beginners" playerpool. The current system contradicts the goal of a skill based ranking system.
This is my biggest gripe and core issue with the current KL system. I feel every single main issue in its design stems from this one problem. With leagues being only a month long, KL has become just another gear grind mode much like ToT and the story. The only unique factor to it is that it involves fighting other players. While I am definitely not against gear coming from the KL, that shouldnt be the only real focus of the core online ranked mode of a fighting game. Continuous leveling up over time as a player to climb higher in the online ranks should be the core focus of a ranked mode, but that just does not exist in KL.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
The problem is that this works against their rewards system. How do you give a reward for being at a top player rank when you start the season at rank #1? You can't, which is why everyone starts at 0, to make their rewards system work.

The problem is that they're mixing up a levelup system with ranking.

Firstly, ranks based on character should have been a thing. But the rewards should be based on things like beating X players at your rank/rank above. Moving up a rank for a character at the end of the season etc. That way it doesn't matter where you start you'll still get something for playing around your level, instead of matching up with a SonicFox hidey account, getting pummelled and losing 150pts because he started on day 20.

FWIW i don't play for the skins, i just play to try and have a few decent games. The most annoying thing is getting matched up with people waaaaaay above your level, and to a lesser degree those below you. It's no fun getting pummelled and holding block for 2rounds, and in the same way it's no fun pummelling players who don't know how to do a basic 1,1,2 combo.
This could be alleviated pretty easily by giving actual point bonuses for win streaks so that sharks can get out of the kiddie pool as quickly as possible.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
they really need to add quality of life improvements to online play. for example. if you are playing a ranked match....not require you to have to sit through a fatality if you have already seen them 500 times. you should also have the option to decline anyone or at least not see their gamertag since so many are clearly using XXXwhateverXXX_ and clearly played the game for a long time but their level 25. i mean...seriously. and i have no idea if they talk cuz i keep the mic off so they could be coughing yelling or whatever.

The same way as you are forced to play single player modes when you want these skins. At the end, the game forces you to play its modes to gain the costumes which are in the game since day one which you payed for. With this kind of system you will always have people who might not get certain things.
Isn't this the sort of thing that the casuals like though? Being able to do things like the SP modes and other things to show some sort of progression in the game?

You take away all the progression rewards and they're left to play the fighting game part, and i don't think the bulk of the casuals are into that.

They do force you to play because if you want those skins, guess what?you have to play kL....what it does is cause stress and bs I shouldn’t have to deal with that’s what it does when they could have easily put it under the gauntlet or tot etc or as I’ve mentioned for sale.
And how is the SP content unlocks any different? I'd rather play online any day to unlock things in that mode instead of wasting time having to deal with armoured/poisoned/buffed bullshit modifiers and trying to figure out which inventory item i need to counter it just to get some skin that frankly i don't give a shit about. The only reason i do occasionally bother is so i can say that i've finished that part of the game.

And half the time it's being done by AI... so yeah...

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
I think that the idea of having an online experience that give you exclusive rewards is amazing on paper but really poor executed in what we have now as the Kombat League.
Basically, Kombat League is a "bad online player" propaganda now and it's all because of the psychological aspect of it and also because human beings are a bitch when encouraged.
Lock content below skill level is wrong from the start because people try to avoid this in every possible way (bad connection, quitting and so on...) just because they REALLY want that skin/gear.
Let's be honest: who can consistently reach Elder God every season? Very few amazing players out there.

Some suggestions that comes to mind that can improve this mode:

1) make a Kombat League shop where you can buy whatever you want from that season with the online points that you gain.
People can buy the skin/gear that they want just by playing.
Maybe top player can have some exclusive badges but skins/gears can be unlocked by everyone that play online and do good without trying to cheese the ranks.

2) make online points a thing even in competitive casual matches, so, people can take a break from ranked and maybe trying something new instead of playing 1 character from all the game life because they are uber strong with him.
With the Kombat League shop that I describe, it will be perfect.

3) deranked because you are not playing for a few days is total bullshit and needs to go away.
We play what we want and when we want.

4) if we can't have wi-fi filter or region filter, then we can't lose point if we forfait the set because the connection is awful.

5) people can't see the opponent's character and we can't change character until the end of the set. In a FT2 ranked as it is now, there's an awful counterpicking meta that promote cheesy way to win a match. Never understand why people like this thing, expecially in tournament.

6) no finish him/her screen in competitive. No teabag allowed, no shame dance, no fatality, no bullshit... we win, we lose, move on to the other set.

Doing these simple things make the toxicity away for a good 70%, IMHO.

As it is now, KL is a bad 3/10.

Kombat league is an addition not a subtraction. It's still ranked sets. So when there is no season the leader board is the same as it has been for the past three games and tracks all wins and losses.

I don't know what happened to the competitive side of people on this site. I never played rank casually. I played it bc I wanted to get better. Skins and gear are gravy but not essential. I am somebody who likes competition, watches tournaments, and tries to get better. I don't like to play single player towers so there are skins I may never get. It was always this way for me. Now I have a mode were I can play ranked sets and get skins. I think it's an amazing addition.

And if that weren't enough, they keep dropping chests in the krypt that have the KL gear.

ScreamQueen

Rockin' Sindel since '95
There's a few things not to like about KL, but for me, the most egregious is Point Decay.
Not because it's a massive problem for anyone, but because it means, at some point, the team specifically decided "We should come up with a way to punish the fans for taking breaks from the game."

And that says way, way more than issues like the Wi-Fi filter about the mindset/attitude behind KL.

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
Kombat league is an addition not a subtraction. It's still ranked sets. So when there is no season the leader board is the same as it has been for the past three games and tracks all wins and losses.

I don't know what happened to the competitive side of people on this site. I never played rank casually. I played it bc I wanted to get better. Skins and gear are gravy but not essential. I am somebody who likes competition, watches tournaments, and tries to get better. I don't like to play single player towers so there are skins I may never get. It was always this way for me. Now I have a mode were I can play ranked sets and get skins. I think it's an amazing addition.

And if that weren't enough, they keep dropping chests in the krypt that have the KL gear.
actually is a subtraction for people to get good matches. before it arrived you could have comp casual matches all day and the moment people could get costumes there that mode was empty. so fuck it no...its not a good thing in the state it is now and when you dont understand why after people here described the issues....welp...fuck the combat league and the shit connection matches you are forced to play there.

you talk about a comp mindset and are then happy with how the league works? thats two pair shoes which doesnt fit....not at all. the comp side of combat league is hilarious.

Last edited:
actually is a subtraction for people to get good matches. before it arrived you could have comp casual matches all day and the moment people could get costumes there that mode was empty. so fuck it no...its not a good thing in the state it is now and when you dont understand why after people here described the issues....welp...fuck the combat league and the shit connection matches you are forced to play there.
Being forced to play in "shit connections" isnt exclusive to MK11. We never had a wifi filter in any game besides rejecting people in a kasual match. Would I like a Wi-Fi filter? Ofcourse. Would I like them to lower the ping threshold? Absolutely. There are things they can always improve. But we got a new mode on top of what we had in I2. People are just mad bc of the KL exclusive skins.

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
Being forced to play in "shit connections" isnt exclusive to MK11. We never had a wifi filter in any game besides rejecting people in a kasual match. Would I like a Wi-Fi filter? Ofcourse. Would I like them to lower the ping threshold? Absolutely. There are things they can always improve. But we got a new mode on top of what we had in I2. People are just mad bc of the KL exclusive skins.
wifi is not the only issues and every single game i know and played in the past had at least a ping filter either with real numbers or bars for you to set up. some other have even a region filter or at least show you where your opponent is from and you can then decide if you want to play that person or not. no people are mad because of how the combat league works in its current form. fuck the skins, i am on pc can just unlock them all for free when i want to without any consequences. i want good matches....combat league doesn't provide them and neither did the normal ranked mode before but casual did due to you being able to at least manually filter shit connections out and not being forced to play 150+guys from countrys where you always have a shit connection with.
from a competitive standpoint its a fucking joke...not just due to the connection issues but mentioned problems in previous posts.

does having seasons and stuff in itself are new things...sure...but the way they gave it to us hurt the game more then it benefitet it for people who want to have good matches.

Isn't this the sort of thing that the casuals like though? Being able to do things like the SP modes and other things to show some sort of progression in the game?

You take away all the progression rewards and they're left to play the fighting game part, and i don't think the bulk of the casuals are into that.
best solution would be to be able to unlock things no matter which mode you play. tekken for example has a nice feature which does just count for the base game and not dlc chars but it allows both target groups to unlock everything their own way.

Last edited: