What's new

General/Other - Kano Is Kano better on paper than he is in-game?

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
His b1, ability to stay in your face and build meter, d4, no overhead starters. I might've exaggerated the PURE part, but he is a pressure character
Hes a jack of all trades. He doesnt have real pressure but he can with ex knives and almost neutral strings. But he cant do that all game. He can sit back and zone characters that need to come in. He can footsie just about every character in the game. He has enough to compete but not enough to excell at one particular thing

Last edited:

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Like many characters in this game, he has an archetype that isn't classified in just one category. A little rush down, a little zoning but...My opinion is that he is a turtle character.

For clarification: A turtle character is one that uses their safe tools at max range to capitalize on opponents mistakes. Patience and spacing are preferred tactics over rush down or zoning and his tools are optimal for this.

Subzero is best possible definition of a turtle character
A little rushdown? He barely has any rushdown lol. I'd say he's 85/15 tuned to zoning over rushdown really. But he does sound like what you've described to be a turtle character.
His knives is the only zoning tool he has. He's a stay in your face character, made for pressure
This is incorrect. Zoning is more than just projectiles. He's not going to stay in your face for more than one string since none of his strings guarantee a followup because his normals are slower than average and his strings are minus.
His b1, ability to stay in your face and build meter, d4, no overhead starters. I might've exaggerated the PURE part, but he is a pressure character
His B1 is -2 on block, barely a pressure tool. "ability to stay in your face and build meter" doesn't mean anything, that's just an arbitrary blanket statement. Anyone can build meter doing a blockstring. D4 isn't really used for pressure since it's -7 on block, it's for creating space. What has him having no overhead starters got to do with being a pressure character? That just means he's not a 50/50 character.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
A little rushdown? He barely has any rushdown lol. I'd say he's 85/15 tuned to zoning over rushdown really. But he does sound like what you've described to be a turtle character.

This is incorrect. Zoning is more than just projectiles. He's not going to stay in your face for more than one string since none of his strings guarantee a followup because his normals are slower than average and his strings are minus.

His B1 is -2 on block, barely a pressure tool. "ability to stay in your face and build meter" doesn't mean anything, that's just an arbitrary blanket statement. Anyone can build meter doing a blockstring. D4 isn't really used for pressure since it's -7 on block, it's for creating space. What has him having no overhead starters got to do with being a pressure character? That just means he's not a 50/50 character.
He isn't a pressure character either. But his ex knives are good

Youphemism

He isn't a pressure character either. But his ex knives are good
I use ex knives mostly for zoning and armour breaking really, but if it's nearer the end I'll use it in a blockstring to try and chip them out or if I feel gimmicky I'll do ex knives into run up throw lol.

NHDR

Noob
Kano is definitely not rushdown or pressure in that kind of a sense. He's a zoning character that either uses knives at long-range or whiff punishes at mid-range. Its true that he applies pressure after EX knives, but then why wouldn't you when you're +6 on block after? Besides, EX knives can just as easily be used for zoning purposes. Doesn't make him a rush down character, just a character taking advantage of a good situation. I'd say Kano is a jack-of-all-trades character who excels most between long and mid-range.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
Not even close.

They are so different. I play both and prefer Kano. His projectile, his ex upball, his frame traps, his 50/50 are all = or better than Jax

Who pees on him in top tiers?
Quan Chi
Tanya
Takeda(Not top tier, but this is a losing match up for Kano)
Kotal Kahn (6f d1, b1, f1, JI1 or 2 really makes life hard for Kano, Kotal can also grab Kano right out of his Kano Ball)
Grandmaster Sub Zero

Last edited:

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Quan Chi
Tanya
Takeda(Not top tier, but this is a losing match up for Kano)
Kotal Kahn (6f d1, b1, f1, JI1 or 2 really makes life hard for Kano, Kotal can also grab Kano right out of his Kano Ball)
Grandmaster Sub Zero
Tanya is 5-5
Quan might be bad
Takeda is variation spec. Ronin is broke
Kotal is not a bad MU
Sub is bad.

I'll give you quan, ronin, and sub. That's not more than 4-6 and I'm fine with that

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
First of all I'm assuming Cutthroat

Just how is Kotal not a bad match up for Kano?
Because I can both play footsies and pressure effectively. His 50/50 is very useful and his armor interupts work like a charm. He can counter everything kotal wants to do.
How is Tanya 5-5?
Maybe maybe not. My opinion.
Takeda mops Kano in all variations except MAYBE Lasher. Maybe.
Maybe I need more MU exp in this but I wouldn't say "mops". Can you tell me why he gets mopped?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I'm also a newer Kano main (1 month) but I also play Tanya, and kotal. I've been a player for a long time and I love to breakdown MU.

I'm up to learn something new but I want to take a fresh approach to my main and not assume all the currently bad MU are as bad as people think.

Bold statement incoming. Kano has the most 5-5s in all of MKX. Never dominating a MU but never gets out gunned. I can't think of an obviously bad MU except for subzero honestly.

Youphemism

First of all I'm assuming Cutthroat

Because I can both play footsies and pressure effectively. His 50/50 is very useful and his armor interupts work like a charm. He can counter everything kotal wants to do.

Maybe maybe not. My opinion.

Maybe I need more MU exp in this but I wouldn't say "mops". Can you tell me why he gets mopped?
I'm not saying you're wrong, I just wanted to know why you thought it was 5-5 since I haven't played Cutthroat KJ :p
I'm also a newer Kano main (1 month) but I also play Tanya, and kotal. I've been a player for a long time and I love to breakdown MU.

I'm up to learn something new but I want to take a fresh approach to my main and not assume all the currently bad MU are as bad as people think.

Bold statement incoming. Kano has the most 5-5s in all of MKX. Never dominating a MU but never gets out gunned. I can't think of an obviously bad MU except for subzero honestly.
I don't even think that's a bold statement, I agree. I've always said he's slap bang in the middle of the variations. I also still don't think Cybernetic loses to Sub but maybe there's a Sub at KiT I could practice that mu with, Cutthroat and Commando definitely have it worse though. Commando might not have it so bad if Sub did't have so much grab immune shit lol.