What's new

Injustice Stage Selection (Coin Toss Mechanic) -- Is it fair for tournament play?

However, the neatest thing I saw in the demo was, believe it or not, the game’s stage-select screen. I asked how stage selection would be handled in tournaments since stage hazards will vary so much, and the answer was simple. Both characters get to choose the stage at the same time! If they both agree to a stage then that is the one that will be played on, but if they disagree, the game will choose between the two stages selected at random. Simple, ingenious, and guaranteed to make tournaments run smoothly
Source: http://shoryuken.com/2013/03/19/injustice-gods-among-us-behind-closed-doors-preview-part-1-black-adam-raven-and-system-mechanics/
second paragraph from the bottom of the article

What does everyone think about this? Think about how this would work in MK, if you had Kabal vs. Cage. Kabal picks rooftop day, Cage picks The Pit. 50/50 shot of who gets the map that helps them in the MU. What does everyone think about this?

You've gotta understand the game isn't out yet and we can't know blah blah, but it's an interesting topic. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, what are your opinions?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I think they are trying to find fixes to non-issues which MK players made too much into issues. If hazards are off the only thing which should matter about the stage is your favourite background animations... All stages should be equal.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
It's the fairest you can get without it being completely random. Let's just hope the stages aren't as important in this game as far as match-ups go.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
If stage selection is going to be done at random, they have to include ALL STAGES, NOT JUST TWO.

my 0.02.

Tolkeen

/wrists
I am personally against a 2 stage snorefest.
It's not going to be a 2 stage snorefest because like with MK there will always be players that choose levels they like over the level that gives them the most advantage (just like characters).

When I pick a stage in MK I pick either the haunted forest or the one with the clouds floating in the background. I thought a professional Cage main would be happy with this change, since in MK everyone got so quick to stage counter at the end of last year lol.

I'm not sure about it being just two stages. I personally like Starcraft 2's System where there is a set map pool, and each player gets to veto 1 or 2 stages that they do not want to play on. The stages are then cycled through at the losing player's choice until a winner is decided. Not sure how first choice is picked, probably a coin toss. I like that system far better than a 2 stage 50/50 coin toss. What does everyone think about this? If it's not in the game, would this be a cool thing to do outside the game while in tournament? It actually adds depth and strategy to stage selection instead of pure reliance on a coin toss.

edit: oh, and maps/stages are only played once each in SC2. That's a very important detail.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Personally, they should include turning on/off stages that can be selected w/random stage select. I think SSBB does this...I don't know what other game does...

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
The InjusticeLive show said it best, the stage hazards are not active until you decide to use them. They aren't like Smash Bros where if a stage has a hazard it will kill you by just being there

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Uhh...let's stop this now, remember how we planned on not even using stage hazards? Let's stick to that before I get turned off by where I think this is going.

The InjusticeLive show said it best, the stage hazards are not active until you decide to use them. They aren't like Smash Bros where if a stage has a hazard it will kill you by just being there
Right, but they're still there and available to use. Stage sizes may differ (we don't know this yet) and different stages obviously have different interactables as well as transition zones.

Stage picking in this game has the potential to be even more important than MK9. Stage picking in that game is incredibly downplayed, and I don't want to see the same happen for Injustice. I believe that a better stage choosing system could be devised then pure reliance on 50/50 chance, because two players are NOT going to agree on stages if they are in a competitive, tournament setting. That's just not going to happen lol.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Right, but they're still there and available to use. Stage sizes may differ (we don't know this yet) and different stages obviously have different interactables as well as transition zones.

Stage picking in this game has the potential to be even more important than MK9. Stage picking in that game is incredibly downplayed, and I don't want to see the same happen for Injustice. I believe that a better stage choosing system could be devised then pure reliance on 50/50 chance, because two players are NOT going to agree on stages if they are in a competitive, tournament setting. That's just not going to happen lol.
We should all choose the stage Flash and Joker fought in. Dat helicopter

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Uhh...let's stop this now, remember how we planned on not even using stage hazards? Let's stick to that before I get turned off by where I think this is going.
I'm not sure what universe this post has come from, most responses to the topic of "Stage Hazards yay/nay" has been "we'll try it out and see".

EDIT: Also, I'm in favour of this selection method. Perhaps only for the first game of a set, then for following games use the traditional loser-picks rule. I'm fine either way.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I'm not sure what universe this post has come from, most responses to the topic of "Stage Hazards yay/nay" has been "we'll try it out and see".

EDIT: Also, I'm in favour of this selection method. Perhaps only for the first game of a set, then for following games use the traditional loser-picks rule. I'm fine either way.
Considering the date you joined TYM, you weren't there when stage hazards were first revealed here.