What's new

Incredibly difficult logic problem.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Wouldn't the question be to ask them if they are all lying or telling the truth?
They would all give random answers since their is nothing to lie or tell the truth about. And since you can only ask one question you're fucked.

Jaxel

8WAYRUN.TV (home of The Break stream)
Administrator
I'm amazed you guys can't figure this riddle out... its very simple.

Ask ANY guard what would ANY other guard would say is the correct answer. They will ALWAYS give the wrong answer; so choose the other.

Because one of the guards is random, you can assume that at least 2/3 of the answers will be the same; that will be the wrong answer.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
I'm amazed you guys can't figure this riddle out... its very simple.

Ask ANY guard what would ANY other guard would say is the correct answer. They will ALWAYS give the wrong answer; so choose the other.
Except that they only answer in Ba or Da and you don't know which is yes or no.

Jaxel

8WAYRUN.TV (home of The Break stream)
Administrator
Oh wait... I'm confusing this with the "Two Guards" puzzle... this appears to be a different "Three Guards" puzzle.

"If i ask the second guard if the right path leads to richess will he say yes" move to next guard "if i ask the third guard if the right path leads to richess will he say yes?" Move to next guard "If I ask the first gaurd if the right path leads to the richess will he say yes?" Either the truth or the lying one will say nothing, sniffing out the random one so u don't have to regard his answer. And between the liar and the person who tells the truth, which ever one answers, take the opposite answer. In other words if they say no, go down the path, if they say yes, go down the left path. Because we dont know what ba or da means, that won't work tho, the rules should be changed to where they can only say yes or no:p

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
"If i ask the second guard if the right path leads to richess will he say yes" move to next guard "if i ask the third guard if the right path leads to richess will he say yes?" Move to next guard "If I ask the first gaurd if the right path leads to the richess will he say yes?" Either the truth or the lying one will say nothing, sniffing out the random one so u don't have to regard his answer. And between the liar and the person who tells the truth, which ever one answers, take the opposite answer. In other words if they say no, go down the path, if they say yes, go down the left path. Because we dont know what ba or da means, that won't work tho, the rules should be changed to where they can only say yes or no:p
lol
you broke two of the rules of the question anyhow.... simply by using a paradox (the truth/lie not actually knowing what the random would say)

you can always figure out what ba or da means..... simply by trying to find out which guard acts in a random fashion.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
So if I asked the first guard....
"Does da mean yes if and only if you tell the truth and the 2nd guard speaks randomly?"
I don't see how this line helps you: "if and only if you tell the truth"

Let's say "Da" is "yes" and you're speaking to the liar and the 2nd guard is the truth teller. How would he answer that question?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
You can't assume that "da" means anything when you ask the first question. Your example is moot.. because my question assumes only the information that i'm given.

I still have no idea what "da" means at this point.
I'm simply trying to find out WHICH one of the OTHER two guards is NOT a random guard. Then I can ask the question to get the meaning of "da".
It doesn't matter if the person i'm asking is random or not... because I stated clearly a stipulation that negates the random answer.

I'm trying to narrow each question down to get ONE answer that will help me move down the line. The biggest obstacle is getting rid of a random variable.

@Johnny San

input

Noob
Ok so I think I figured it out. If you ask all three guards the same question such as "Are there riches down this path?" I mean that's the only way i can see this working.

So you break it down like this:

Truth Liar Random
yes no no
yes no no
yes no yes
yes no yes
no no no
no no yes
no no no
no no yes

So the above equals 16 no and 8 yes, and from there you just have to see who says no the most for each row.

The liar would always have to say no. If he were to say yes as well, everything would come out even and there would be no way to tell them apart.

Sorry guys don't know how to format correctly. But each column corresponds to the name.

Last edited:
lol
you broke two of the rules of the question anyhow.... simply by using a paradox (the truth/lie not actually knowing what the random would say)

you can always figure out what ba or da means..... simply by trying to find out which guard acts in a random fashion.
Well it doesn't break the rule, he'll just answer randomly. Which I'm not sure if that means just ba or da or a completely random sentence. If it's a completely random sentence then it'd still work. And how does someone ACT randomly? Bleh, this thing seems unsolvable

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Well it doesn't break the rule, he'll just answer randomly. Which I'm not sure if that means just ba or da or a completely random sentence. If it's a completely random sentence then it'd still work. And how does someone ACT randomly? Bleh, this thing seems unsolvable
you don't know what ba or da means
you asked a paradox which means BOTH the liar and truth teller in fact become random........ so now you have 3 random answers.

LOL........ ouch babe.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Ok so I think I figured it out. If you ask all three guards the same question such as "Are there riches down this path?" I mean that's the only way i can see this working.

So you break it down like this:
Truth Liar Random
yes no no
yes no no
yes no yes
yes no yes
no no no
no no yes
no no no
no no yes

So the above equals 16 no and 8 yes, and from there you just have to see who says no the most for each row.

The liar would always have to say no. If he were to say yes as well, everything would come out even and there would be no way to tell them apart.

Sorry guys don't know how to format correctly. But each column corresponds to the name.
you only get 1 question per guard.
this would NEVER work.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
The only way to prove this is by plugging it in to all possible combinations.
Liar - Truth - "Random" / Liar - "Random" - Truth / Truth - Liar - "Random" / Truth - "Random" - Liar / "Random" - Truth - Liar / "Random" - Liar - Truth.

Let's take this combination: Truth - "Random" - Liar with "Da" meaning "yes". Perfect situation and the first guard obviously says "Da" to the first question. You then ask the Liar his question. 1=1 and "Da" does mean "yes". He's a Liar so he'd say "Ba" meaning "no". You've figured the Liar and the Truth teller. Now you're left with the "Random". He can either say a truthful answer or a false one. Whether he says "Ba" or "Da" doesn't matter. You don't know if what he says is the truth.

But you only ask the guards once. The rest is deductive reasoning. Unless I'm missing something.
You're asking them once multiple times. Against the rules.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
Is pretty easy if you take out the random factor.
if you only had 2 guards, ask each guard " in what direction will the other guy tell me to go?".
The lier will tell you the opposite of what the other guard think/knows. you end up with the wrong door answer.
The guard that says the true will tell you the wrong answer because that's what the lier would say.
you know which is the wrong answer, so you also know the right answer.

The random factor fucks everything up, random guard could say yes or not. you would need to find who the random guard is, but that's more of an algorithm problem.
You would basically have to write a small computer science program to find out.

Edit: I just looked at the fact the guards can only answer yes/no.
I think you can still formulate my questions in a way that they can answer yes or no.