What's new

"I'm In A Nightmare" -- Batman General Discussion Thread

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Thanks, this was very detailed an explained properly. I don't think you guys realize how helpful these posts can be to us newer players.
No problem, just trying to help. I'm on xbox if you have Live, and others are on Playstation if you would like an online practice session or some friendly matches. Any other questions, just ask!

FGC_Chukz

When's Injustice?
After taking advice I played a good amount last night. Had some pretty decent fights, but when the skill gap was too wide it showed. Some guy on PSN named fatboy2k or something like that. Has been fucking my shit up with Joker ever since I got the game, but other than that, good players were back dashing out of my B1 pressure on wakeup, but if i landed a J2 it would lead to some scary damage.

I think my main thing is I have to use my bats properly and find a way to get out of pressure once being knocked down,(Been struggling with wakeups the entire lifespan of the game) and find a way to get some consitant B1 pressure without my opponents back dashing/using wake up moves out of everything.

jonfled

Swag?
After taking advice I played a good amount last night. Had some pretty decent fights, but when the skill gap was too wide it showed. Some guy on PSN named fatboy2k or something like that. Has been fucking my shit up with Joker ever since I got the game, but other than that, good players were back dashing out of my B1 pressure on wakeup, but if i landed a J2 it would lead to some scary damage.

I think my main thing is I have to use my bats properly and find a way to get out of pressure once being knocked down,(Been struggling with wakeups the entire lifespan of the game) and find a way to get some consitant B1 pressure without my opponents back dashing/using wake up moves out of everything.
You can condition them to backdash or do a wakeup (single hit wakeup is best, don't fuck with black adam's wakeup ever) and throw out a meterburned B or F3 for a good punish. Hell even throwing on wakeup is pretty reliable in this game, even though throws don't hurt too much and leave you at a positional disadvantage in this case. A meaty B23 works too cause it can actually stuff some wakeups because it has a lot of active frames.

Batman's only problem is that when he's put into a wakeup situation he has no wakeup attack that's really reliable.. slide is okay but if it's blocked you are shit out of luck. Most of the time you should just try to guess and block correctly on wakeup and look for a place to backdash or throw out a string into MB batarangs so you can gtfo or apply your own pressure.

Batman has two playstyles that blend together if you want to play him at his best: rush down batman and patient/punishing batman. You have to learn how and WHEN to switch between the two constantly to play him at his best.

If only he kept his bats when he was hit/knocked down... he might be too good then though, huh :p

SWonder916

When's DragonBall?
My favorite strings to begin damaging combos are 123 and 113.

113, B3, J3, B23 and 123, B2, MB sky grapple, B3, J3, B23 are amazing combos coming from these strings. These strings also begin with Batman's light attack (one of the fastest attacks in the game.) So punishes turn into full combo if you use these strings. I know they can be ducked on the first hit, but most people don't react fast enough to poke you out of them. Both of these strings also end in either a low or overhead attack which can cause some confusion.

Other strings I use are B113, B112 and 223. 223 is excellent if you can land a J2 as you can go in to one of Batman's easiest combos ( J2, 223, b3, J3, B23.) It can be poked out of, but if you hit confirm the J2 you can avoid this.

B113 is a good low starter that I like to throw out when putting pressure after a knockdown. This works well if you have been using Batman's overhead option (I'll list in shortly.) You can go in to: B113, 123, B2, MB sky grapple, B3, J3, sparks for good damage out of B113. B112 is a good compliment to B113 as it is safe and hits overhead.

Now, you can also use B23 as it is an amazing string. It covers a good portion of the air space in front of Batman making it a decent anti air. It also hits overhead in the second part of the string. You can apply pressure with this to hit crouching opponents that refuse to guard high. It also puts Batman away from opponents if you wish to zone. In fact, I often cancel this string into batarangs. Another overhead option is to MB F3 on knocked down opponents. This way you can absorb a hit from a wake-up attack and get a full combo from pressure.

Now, to make your approaches safe you MUST learn to use his trait properly. The trait gives you the ability to lock the opponent down and "get in" safely. You can essentially have one bat up at all times if you manage them correctly. These bats allow you to release them and dash in from pressure to attempt a jump in or one of the other various strings. These bats will also cover the holes in Batman's strings. If you have a bat up and find yourself in a situation that say, 223 is being blocked, you can release the bats before the hole in the string and be entirely safe. In fact, I have sometimes released one bat, dashed in, called another bat and got to the opponent as the first bat was hitting to apply pressure and still have one out to cover holes in strings. Batman's trait is amazing for accomplishing anything he needs to accomplish.
Dude u have no idea how helpful this post is,currently tryna play Batman more seriously as a 2nd main to my main man GL and dropping Supes. Can hit the training room with this,I'll add u on XBL to maybe get a session

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Dude u have no idea how helpful this post is,currently tryna play Batman more seriously as a 2nd main to my main man GL and dropping Supes. Can hit the training room with this,I'll add u on XBL to maybe get a session
That sounds good to me. Send me a friend request.

Durango

Enhancer
I think I'm done with Batman. He has bad matchups against Doomsday, Deathstroke, Batgirl, Superman, and Bane. Anyone with armor can charge him and he can't punish, Superman can camp him with ground laser MB and the bats won't punish it, Batgirl can outmatch his speed and zoning, and Deathstroke can camp Batman with bullets so he has no way of getting in AND when he does, zone him with the sword.

No one is responding to the matchup topic, so I'm believing it's a lost cause. YouTube has very few vids of Batman pros taking down powerful matchups, so there's really no point. Unless someone has good matchup advice for Batman, I think I'm done trying. He's just so hard to work with online.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
I think I'm done with Batman. He has bad matchups against Doomsday, Deathstroke, Batgirl, Superman, and Bane. Anyone with armor can charge him and he can't punish, Superman can camp him with ground laser MB and the bats won't punish it, Batgirl can outmatch his speed and zoning, and Deathstroke can camp Batman with bullets so he has no way of getting in AND when he does, zone him with the sword.

No one is responding to the matchup topic, so I'm believing it's a lost cause. YouTube has very few vids of Batman pros taking down powerful matchups, so there's really no point. Unless someone has good matchup advice for Batman, I think I'm done trying. He's just so hard to work with online.
I'm 969-246 with him...

Durango

Enhancer
I'm 969-246 with him...
What is your matchup game like and how do you deal with the more prominent ones I just listed? When I'm using Batgirl, I tend to do REAL well against people like Deathstroke, who I have a hard time with using Batman.

FGC_Chukz

When's Injustice?

I know the feeling. It is so hard to maintain pressure with batman. Some wake moves just destroy alot of options, plus the zoning -__-.

Anyway, I feel his stupid close range strings are going to make me drop him. Low starts like B1 are essential to my mix up game otherwise no reason to block low.

It also sucks that you lose bats on hit. Sometimes when being zoned I wanna use my bats to get in, but I can't because he stands up when activating them so I sometimes I'll like 3 bats! He should not lose them, just make it so he can't use them during a combo.

Interuptable strings and reliance on trait is really hard for me to overcome. I played Superman and Batgirl prior to this, so faults are glaring as of now.

Blah, enough ranting back to Injustice.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
What is your matchup game like and how do you deal with the more prominent ones I just listed? When I'm using Batgirl, I tend to do REAL well against people like Deathstroke, who I have a hard time with using Batman.
The Deathstoke matchup depends on the use of his trait and not jumping so much. Many Deathstrokes are going to try low shots on you to keep you out. You're at advantage on block. What I normally do is wait for a blocked low shots to call the bats then release them to get in on him. After you start getting in he's going to throw out the sword flip. This is where you need to make a read and block it. Once you get pressure on knockdowns you need to be aware of the sword flip wakeup and just block it for a full combo.

I'll post some more thoughts I have about these tomorrow.

FGC_Chukz

When's Injustice?
Wow, just have to love successfully blocking strings only to be at frame disadvantage or too far to punish, while trying to press a button and have it not come out to get hit with another combo. IDK guys it seems with Batman it is just an uphill battle of getting in, and actually being close enough to do anything. Then a lot of projectiles are nullifying my trait. Rant two long sets with Zatanna and Wonder Woman player. Both had moves that nullified my trait full screen -__-. I thought BG full screen game was bad, BM doesn't even compare if you lose your trait.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
You need a lot of patience with some matches with Batman. As far as Deathstroke is concerned...this is one of my favorite matches to play. I honestly believe this is even. No, really. Yes, he out-zones you. However...you are better and faster up-close than he is. You do more meterless damage than he does. At the same time....his d1 is better than yours, his d2 is -1 on block(found that out yesterday), and he is very good at frustrating you into making mistakes.

Blade flip is punishable. The 50/50 is a problem, but not an unstoppable one. I've felt really hopeless with this character plenty of times. You have to keep plugging away and eventually, you'll find answers.

Also...Bane is in our favor. Definitely. Frustrate him with 'rangs and trait. If he does for a charge, neutral jump it. You can space him with b23 and punish some of his strings. BUT...you have to be careful if he knocks you down. He can run roughshod over you, then. Particularly his grab, which he cancels off of blocked normals.

I believe that Batgirl is in our favor as well. Make her chase you. Punish her teleport with a full combo. Throw shit at her while she's dashing(since she hops to dash). You can parry her overheads, and there is a gap between her flip move and any ender she chooses. We Batmen need to use that gap to throw out any standing 1 string and full combo her. This is something I need to master as well.

Doomsday is in our favor, but he can definitely fuck you up. Badly.

Superman......is a problem.

This is all based off my own experiences, so take it with a grain of salt.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Here are my thoughts on the ones listed:

Deathstroke- Like I said before, the low gun shots and his other zoning tools can be a problem if you aren't using Batman's trait correctly. Without the trait you have to act as many other characters to get in, block and dash. However, with the trait you can block his zoning, release bats and dash in for free. What you do once you're in is another story though. If I don't have a bat out, I like to call one as soon as I jump Stroke's shots (not advisable,) or block some shots (best options.) After you block a zoning attempt and call a bat you should be ready to block another projectile. This next part is very important: ALWAYS BLOCK LOW WHILE YOU'RE AT DISTANCE. The reasoning for this is simple. Stroke has no overhead attacks from a distance unless he meter burns the machine gun, and that is easily blocked by switching your guard before the grenade comes from his gun.

Another key to this matchup is how Stroke uses his two sword special attacks. At the start of any match against a Stroke, I back away a few steps. I do this to judge how the player will use the sword flip. A lot of players throw out the sword flip as soon as the match begins. With this strategy you can punish right off the bat and be off to a good start. If he doesn't throw out a sword flip I like to switch to a low guard to expect low shots. I then begin my trait usage and working in.

As far as the close range game goes, Batman shines in this area. The reason you should be wary of the sword flip is because of the knockdown that follows. Deathstroke has a good low starter, but generally uses his F3 for overhead. The F3 is a little slower and can be reacted to. If you do get knocked down you should block correctly and use Slide wake-up on overly aggressive players to get back in control of the match.

To wrap this all up in a bow: Play correct defense, use trait, and be smart with pressure by baiting wake-ups.

Bane- I have played Bane as much as I have Batman and I must say that it brings me to tears of joy when I get in on a Batman. Bane can really destroy him once he gets a knockdown. Batman's wake-ups are terrible, Bane has a good mix up off a knockdown and the Venom lets him blow through anything Batman tries. Bane's best tools are his overhead Double punch, Body press grab, and Low starters off B2. His Venom Uppercut is also amazing in dealing with knockdowns and jump ins. The key to this matchup is not letting him get on you like a junkyard dog and getting away from him when he does.

With that said, this is what I like to do against Bane. NEVER jump in on him unless you are following in bats. The Venom Uppercut will knock you out of the air EVERYTIME if you go jumping in naked. Use trait religiously to control the screen. With the trait you have 1-3 hits to knock him out of any armor except for Venom LVL 3 charge. The trait is super important in covering any jumped Batarangs you throw, and to control your moments to strike.

It should also be noted that Bane's dash is very good, and as such, he can be on top of you in a matter of seconds. Essentially if he knocks you down you have options.

Block high- Stos double punch, loses to low starter and body press

block low- Stops low starter, loses to double punch and body press

Jump- Stops body press, loses to low starter and double punch

Back dash- Depending on the Bane player you could be caught by any of them if they read the dash and follow you.

Parry- Stops Double punch, loses to grab and low

It comes down to you making a read on wake-up and controlling the space. If Bane gets you down, you MIGHT not get back up.

Superman- Oh boy, here we go. He controls the screen, right? Well, you can too. 9 times out of 10 a Superman player will probably start the match with F23. So, just block it. What he does after this can tell you a lot. If he cancels into breath just keep blocking. If he cancels into trait, you'll know you have a moment to strike later on in the match. I don't try to escape the breath when I see them throw one out. I just keep blocking and wait for a good moment. You can punish Superman when he goes into trait from F23. If you see this, immediately throw out a standing 1 followed by a combo. Batman's standing 1 is one of the fastest moves in the game and it will land here.

When you're playing against a Superman you need to start blocking mid and end low. Many will cancel into the low scoop after many blocked F23 and 223's. The only time you should block standing is when Superman is in the air or you block the second hit of 223 and visually see Superman start for the overhead 3rd hit of that string.

Now, for the lasers. I LOVE when a Superman player wants to use the air lasers. This is the best thing in the world for Batman. You see him jump, you call a bat. If you have a bat and you see him jump, release it. The bat will hit him out of the air and all you to dash in for a follow up most of the time (depending on distance and jump height.) If you don't have a bat yet, block high when he jumps and call a bat as he falls to the ground. For the ground lasers, it takes forever to start up, so use some visual cues. I like to duck a laser and call a bat. If you see him jump, stand block and release it. If you see him wind up for another ground laser, stay blocking low and release the bat as he pulls his arms back. This will allow the laser to go over your head and the bat to hit in the recovery, giving you a free way in.

As for wake-up, you have to read if Superman is going to use rising grab, low scoop or dashing away. If he uses low scoop, block low and punish it to the end of the Earth. If he uses Rising Grab let it go over your head and punish. ALWAYS block low if you expect a wake-up attack. If you don't expect a wake-up attack go in for hard pressure when you get him down.

Superman controls the screen with his F23 and lasers, but Batman can counter all of this with correct trait use.

SWonder916

When's DragonBall?
Here are my thoughts on the ones listed:

Deathstroke- Like I said before, the low gun shots and his other zoning tools can be a problem if you aren't using Batman's trait correctly. Without the trait you have to act as many other characters to get in, block and dash. However, with the trait you can block his zoning, release bats and dash in for free. What you do once you're in is another story though. If I don't have a bat out, I like to call one as soon as I jump Stroke's shots (not advisable,) or block some shots (best options.) After you block a zoning attempt and call a bat you should be ready to block another projectile. This next part is very important: ALWAYS BLOCK LOW WHILE YOU'RE AT DISTANCE. The reasoning for this is simple. Stroke has no overhead attacks from a distance unless he meter burns the machine gun, and that is easily blocked by switching your guard before the grenade comes from his gun.

Another key to this matchup is how Stroke uses his two sword special attacks. At the start of any match against a Stroke, I back away a few steps. I do this to judge how the player will use the sword flip. A lot of players throw out the sword flip as soon as the match begins. With this strategy you can punish right off the bat and be off to a good start. If he doesn't throw out a sword flip I like to switch to a low guard to expect low shots. I then begin my trait usage and working in.

As far as the close range game goes, Batman shines in this area. The reason you should be wary of the sword flip is because of the knockdown that follows. Deathstroke has a good low starter, but generally uses his F3 for overhead. The F3 is a little slower and can be reacted to. If you do get knocked down you should block correctly and use Slide wake-up on overly aggressive players to get back in control of the match.

To wrap this all up in a bow: Play correct defense, use trait, and be smart with pressure by baiting wake-ups.

Bane- I have played Bane as much as I have Batman and I must say that it brings me to tears of joy when I get in on a Batman. Bane can really destroy him once he gets a knockdown. Batman's wake-ups are terrible, Bane has a good mix up off a knockdown and the Venom lets him blow through anything Batman tries. Bane's best tools are his overhead Double punch, Body press grab, and Low starters off B2. His Venom Uppercut is also amazing in dealing with knockdowns and jump ins. The key to this matchup is not letting him get on you like a junkyard dog and getting away from him when he does.

With that said, this is what I like to do against Bane. NEVER jump in on him unless you are following in bats. The Venom Uppercut will knock you out of the air EVERYTIME if you go jumping in naked. Use trait religiously to control the screen. With the trait you have 1-3 hits to knock him out of any armor except for Venom LVL 3 charge. The trait is super important in covering any jumped Batarangs you throw, and to control your moments to strike.

It should also be noted that Bane's dash is very good, and as such, he can be on top of you in a matter of seconds. Essentially if he knocks you down you have options.

Block high- Stos double punch, loses to low starter and body press

block low- Stops low starter, loses to double punch and body press

Jump- Stops body press, loses to low starter and double punch

Back dash- Depending on the Bane player you could be caught by any of them if they read the dash and follow you.

Parry- Stops Double punch, loses to grab and low

It comes down to you making a read on wake-up and controlling the space. If Bane gets you down, you MIGHT not get back up.

Superman- Oh boy, here we go. He controls the screen, right? Well, you can too. 9 times out of 10 a Superman player will probably start the match with F23. So, just block it. What he does after this can tell you a lot. If he cancels into breath just keep blocking. If he cancels into trait, you'll know you have a moment to strike later on in the match. I don't try to escape the breath when I see them throw one out. I just keep blocking and wait for a good moment. You can punish Superman when he goes into trait from F23. If you see this, immediately throw out a standing 1 followed by a combo. Batman's standing 1 is one of the fastest moves in the game and it will land here.

When you're playing against a Superman you need to start blocking mid and end low. Many will cancel into the low scoop after many blocked F23 and 223's. The only time you should block standing is when Superman is in the air or you block the second hit of 223 and visually see Superman start for the overhead 3rd hit of that string.

Now, for the lasers. I LOVE when a Superman player wants to use the air lasers. This is the best thing in the world for Batman. You see him jump, you call a bat. If you have a bat and you see him jump, release it. The bat will hit him out of the air and all you to dash in for a follow up most of the time (depending on distance and jump height.) If you don't have a bat yet, block high when he jumps and call a bat as he falls to the ground. For the ground lasers, it takes forever to start up, so use some visual cues. I like to duck a laser and call a bat. If you see him jump, stand block and release it. If you see him wind up for another ground laser, stay blocking low and release the bat as he pulls his arms back. This will allow the laser to go over your head and the bat to hit in the recovery, giving you a free way in.

As for wake-up, you have to read if Superman is going to use rising grab, low scoop or dashing away. If he uses low scoop, block low and punish it to the end of the Earth. If he uses Rising Grab let it go over your head and punish. ALWAYS block low if you expect a wake-up attack. If you don't expect a wake-up attack go in for hard pressure when you get him down.

Superman controls the screen with his F23 and lasers, but Batman can counter all of this with correct trait use.
And THAT my fellow Bruce Wayne's....is what I like to call amazing match up discussion and advice
Kudos to u sir,good stuff

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
So I've pretty much resorted to using 113, Forward Dash, 123, B23; rather than 113, B3, J3, B23. Four months of playing this game and I still cannot consistently hit the B3 after the 113. :mad:

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
So I've pretty much resorted to using 113, Forward Dash, 123, B23; rather than 113, B3, J3, B23. Four months of playing this game and I still cannot consistently hit the B3 after the 113. :mad:
Much more dependable to do that, I've found myself doing the same. Guaranteed damage > might drop a combo damage

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
Found something interesting the other day while playing online, don't know if it's known or not. But I had three bats on deck ready to go and I released them as I double jumped over the opponent's head. When I did this the first two bats flew forward but the last went the opposite direction. It's a very hard mix-up to block between the reverse flying bat and a cross up J.2. It's situational though, as it does take having three bats to work.