What's new

Question I'm currently playing nightwolf and I fail to see 'why he is bad'

LolingOctopus

Modest and humble genitalia destroyer
Im known to Play Garbage characters, I Like em :eek:

But seriously I,wanna try my luck with him and see how far it gets me. I play for fun anyway, so as soon as nw gets boring I'll drop him and play someone else. I like being the guy whose stats are fucking horrible and then steal wins to people who fucken hate losing. Then I get to do my lovely French smirk and laugh my way out. Each match I expect to lose, because I aim to have fun. If I didn't have fun during a set, to me that's where I lose.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Im known to Play Garbage characters, I Like em :eek:

But seriously I,wanna try my luck with him and see how far it gets me. I play for fun anyway, so as soon as nw gets boring I'll drop him and play someone else. I like being the guy whose stats are fucking horrible and then steal wins to people who fucken hate losing. Then I get to do my lovely French smirk and laugh my way out. Each match I expect to lose, because I aim to have fun. If I didn't have fun during a set, to me that's where I lose.
Then NW is the character for you!!!

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
This happens often. People look at NW meterless damage and say "damn, nearly 40% this guy isn't bad".

He has nearly nothing to open people up. All his "pressure" is gimmicks and mostly minus on block. He has no low/overhead to mixup. His zoning isn't good. He gets damage by:

1) Jump ins
2) Shoulder/Lightning (risky unless you make a right read)
3) Punishment (block/whiff punish and anti-airs)

Its not the best idea to rely on these to win. Once you deny nightwolf these things he doesn't have anything to win.

LolingOctopus

Modest and humble genitalia destroyer
This happens often. People look at NW meterless damage and say "damn, nearly 40% this guy isn't bad".

He has nearly nothing to open people up. All his "pressure" is gimmicks and mostly minus on block. He has no low/overhead to mixup. His zoning isn't good. He gets damage by:

1) Jump ins

Its not the best idea to rely on these to win. Once you deny nightwolf these things he doesn't have anything to win.
You do make great points. I am not supposed to win with nightwolf if the other player knows how to stop nightwolf.

Which makes a great practice dummy for the mtl crew. Each win I have with nightwolf is because someone fucked up. Considering I'm done as a 'competitor' and I'm more of a 'trainer' this seems like the perfect character to me.

I want better competition in my local scene, I hate winning because the opponent didn't know x or y gimmick. I want to outplay my opponent. So in theory, for every win I have there is a lesson to be learned about the game. I hope and I want MTL to level up and to body my nightwolf on command. I want to spend evening not winning a single round. Because then, it will mean the scene leveled up and know how to not open themselves up for shitty ass offense and it will force me to pick a decent character for once.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

1) Jump ins

Very true dizzy. Isn't cage similar to nightwolf in which he has to rely on these things to win? The difference between cage and nw is you have to add a 4th bullet...pressure. Cages pressure is similar to nw except cages is actually good. Playing cage though actually made me a better NW player.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Very true dizzy. Isn't cage similar to nightwolf in which he has to rely on these things to win? The difference between cage and nw is you have to add a 4th bullet...pressure. Cages pressure is similar to nw except cages is actually good. Playing cage though actually made me a better NW player.
Yeah, cage has a good overhead to use (21f2) and he forces people to act with his pressure. NW can't really loop anything to pressure.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Yeah, cage has a good overhead to use (21f2) and he forces people to act with his pressure. NW can't really loop anything to pressure.
nope. nw only good stutters are...

Please correct me if i'm wrong:
standing 1 (neutral on block)
f3 (-3 on block)
23 (-2 on block)
11 (-3 on block)
b1 (neutral on block)

he doesnt have many good stutters because of negative on block. its best to play him like raiden with f24 by using strings like 1221, f31 eh axe, and b1 / b111 spacing.

turtle nw with random pressure is best.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Yes it is.
they are both negative on block. f3 is thirteen frames. that means it is easy to poke out with any down 1 or normal that is 15 frames or faster.

nw has to rely on d3 to make his pressure any good and if he gets counter poked he loses his momentum.

trust me...its not that great at the highest level when your opponent knows the frame data.

Grumptronix

Fuck off, I'm not grumpy
they are both negative on block. f3 is thirteen frames. that means it is easy to poke out with any down 1 or normal that is 15 frames or faster.

nw has to rely on d3 to make his pressure any good and if he gets counter poked he loses his momentum.

trust me...its not that great at the highest level when your opponent knows the frame data.
We've all agreed that NW at the highest level is a pure turd. However, at the majority of online level or what I play, F3 1 is quite good. Not great, not superb, just generally good. haha

I trust you, we just don't all play pure high level matches 24/7.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
NW is fun, been using him as one of my secondaries for 2 months roughly now. He struggles against the higher guys but imo anyone else he can compete with.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
We've all agreed that NW at the highest level is a pure turd. However, at the majority of online level or what I play, F3 1 is quite good. Not great, not superb, just generally good. haha

I trust you, we just don't all play pure high level matches 24/7.
ok but when you say f31 is good, just define what you mean...I guess if you said "NW f31 is good against shitty players who dont know the MU and even better online" then I would have had to agree...LOL

Grumptronix

Fuck off, I'm not grumpy
ok but when you say f31 is good, just define what you mean...I guess if you said "NW f31 is good against shitty players who dont know the MU and even better online" then I would have had to agree...LOL
F31 is good against the majority of players for pressure, not purely "shitty players". It's an opinion just like yours, I don't really need you to validate it with an argument. ;)

What other pressure strings would you use?

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM

So...Kang's garbage d4 beats this? Fuck I need to stop playing online so much, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McNasty

Moist.
I played Nightwolf a little bit last night and man.... what a turd if you could cancel lightening he would be soooo much better.

People who know how to fight nightwolf will just poke you to death. ya you might get a d3 counter poke but in this stage of the metagame no one is letting go of block during f3 shenanigans.

For those who don't know me, I'm a local player from the Montreal scene and I'm looking to host my place as a 'MK dojo' and will be uploading footage and stream as time goes for MK/Injustice.

Now, I played a load of characters and NW is the first I truly fail to see why he is bad.

Is it the good D4s that cripples him or what seems to be his main issues vs bad MU? As of now, vs the people I can play offline I don't have... trouble vs MU that are supposed to be hard.

Now I'm not saying I'm the second coming of christ or anything, but I want to be aware of NW's flaw to cover them better.

+ I'm looking to spark some life on this lovely sub forum ;)
iirc his f3 stuffs d4s. he has no mu worse than a 7-3 and those would be vs low hitboxes

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
iirc his f3 stuffs d4s. he has no mu worse than a 7-3 and those would be vs low hitboxes
his f3 does beat many d4s. But it is 11 frames...d4 are 12 frames. You cant react to d4, you have to make a read. And against half the cast making that read and being wrong results in a wiff punish at the highest level. So saying f3 stuffs d4 is a little bit of an over simplification.

Also, Freddy, Sonya, Kabal, and Kenshi are all potential 8-2 MU. We will never know for sure but saying he has no MU worse than 7-3 is a statement you just cant make. It is VERY possible that he has a few 8-2 MUs.