What's new

Question I'm currently playing nightwolf and I fail to see 'why he is bad'

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I'm pretty sure I didn't say "play so and so" ... but NW isn't that good. He SURE as hell doesn't give Kenshi enough problems to warrant any 6-4.

Your other comments are just misguided.
Especially when you say one thing.... and then direct that exact thing back at me.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Interesting, I'll ask Jer to grind it out until we both feel confortable with the MU and explore it more. But I realize this is gonna be far from easy to win considering you play with LOTF
next time im at fly's house we'll record it and post it also to try to help

Flagg

Noob
Nightwolf is quite a good defensive character. I find turtle Nightwolfs harder to beat than offensive ones!

Vagrant

Noob
I play him alot on the side, although not really online because of the timing. I don't think he's a bad character, I would use the term "limited" when referring to nightwolf. Check out LoTFs stuff on him man. Those Lightning traps are hella sexy

Oh and his standing 1 AA is one of the most satisfying things in MK9 imo

C-Sword

Noob
Why is it 2-8 against Freddy? He can reflect his claw back. Does Freddy win that MU by using his spikes to keep NW away?

LolingOctopus

Modest and humble genitalia destroyer
Especially when you say one thing.... and then direct that exact thing back at me.
Now you know how fucking annoying it is. So next time bring interesting arguments instead of claims that moves the discussion nowhere but into an insult battle.

Yes there are needless insults in my post and no I,won't edit them to look like a good guy. I got nothing against you, I had something against the post itself. Sure you get to play the top kenshi in atl but don't assume everyone else has no fucken clue how the game works.

I'm gonna avoid this thread for a month or two to lab it up and take your concern and I'll post result and I'll say it If,he's trash or not. But dismissing my points with claims, that the caliber of players that are in mtl are 'not the right players' is still insulting.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
I get tagged in this thread because of shots being fired, I love it.

Anyways NW is weird, I gotta play the MU more tbh.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
i meant to type 7-3 for kenshi...i was on my phone on the toilet taking a shit when I typed that (because nw is shit)

I actually never go in this forum unless I'm taking a shit (or in a graveyard) to symbolize my feelings for this character.

freddys nightmare stance is the single largest bain in nw existance i nthe game. From full screen, NW CANT HIT HIM. NMS goes under reflected claws and nw has to block a ground claw. he can jump or just teleport out of lightnings...its is probably worse than 8-2. I dont think its crazy to consider it a 10-0 at the HIGHEST level. 8-2 is conservative.

LolingOctopus

i meant to type 7-3 for kenshi...i was on my phone on the toilet taking a shit when I typed that (because nw is shit)

I actually never go in this forum unless I'm taking a shit (or in a graveyard) to symbolize my feelings for this character.

freddys nightmare stance is the single largest bain in nw existance i nthe game. From full screen, NW CANT HIT HIM. NMS goes under reflected claws and nw has to block a ground claw. he can jump or just teleport out of lightnings...its is probably worse than 8-2. I dont think its crazy to consider it a 10-0 at the HIGHEST level. 8-2 is conservative.
Interesting, there's nothing including whiff punishing that punishes freddy's stance? That's a bad situation I gotta give you that, I'll try and figure out something though

edit: i'm stupid you said from fullscreen.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Having played seriously both character I find this hard to believe.

I'm pretty sure in every situation nightwolf outdamage Jade.

JIP :

NW: meterless 39% (JIP 122 xx hatchet, b2 xx hatchet, 1, 122 xx shoulder)
vs
Jade: meterless 37% (JIP b1 xx staff overhead, 1, 12, 12 xx shadow kick xx shadow kick) (correct me if I'm wrong, been a while I played her)

Corner :

NW: Meterless 43-44%
Jade: Meterless 42%

And let's be serious here. You won't hit B1 as easy as you will 12/d3/b3 mixups. However this mix-up does no damage! Hell in the corner you will get AT BEST 25% while every touch nightwolf will do is easily 40%+

Alright, let's take into consideration 'the glow factor'. The glow factor sadly does NOT give you damage only allows you to armor through. Mid screen? At best you will land 37% for a bar of meter WITH a risky b1. Sadly Jade is high risk/low reward.

At range, let's be serious here, Jade's projectile are thrash vs Nightwolf. He can regen on REACTION for a bar of meter or even reflect them.

Quite honestly I believe it is 6-4 for NW best case scenario for Jade.

I didn't cover the 'meter game' because there's way to many parameters but I seriously believe nw has the upper hand. I do not claim the following fact but I believe ex shoulder even has armor crush proprieties vs glow anyway. I need to test this more before making it fact though... his shoulder is somewhat weird.
Agreed.

Espio

Kokomo
Jade versus Nightwolf is 5-5, she doesn't beat him. The match up is literally all footsies and spacing in my opinion, but this isn't a match up chart thread, so I'll exit stage left :D.

LolingOctopus

That just shows how much I still need to learn about this char. Only been playing him for a month :X

I really appreciate all your input though, I'll try and find something but I promise nothing and will probably fail. But another pair of eyes can shine light where there was darkness.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
I sadly never tried vs Freddy, I'll check it out with Charlie as soon as I can :)

as for kenshi, meh it's not that bad. I can see it 6-4 kenshi but nothing worse than that
the freddy match is fucking impossible,your only weapon is ex shoulder through projectiles but that leads to nothing.nightwolfs main problem is that nothing he does leads to anything constructive,all his strings on block push you away and put you back to square 1.yes he deals good damage but how the fuck are you supposed to get it started?ive found these days the best way to play nw is to go for as many grabs as possible and just maximising damage every chance you get or failing that just stand there and block and pray for a mistake,you have to be so patient to be good with nw and thats why im terrible.dont get me wrong he's fun as fuck to play and is without question the funniest character in mk9,i'll never drop him.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
NW has no continuous offense, no mix-ups and a very weak wake-up game. But he is underrated because he does good damage, has an invincible axe in the footsie game, has a good oki game with good whiff punishers. The fact that he cannot zone but yet has nothing solid up close to support really cripples him. Also other characters are simply better. He's not bad though.
All that axe says to me is free combo, you have decades to whiff punish it.

NKZero

Noob
All that axe says to me is free combo, you have decades to whiff punish it.
No but I mean you cannot counter-poke the character should he link D1-hatchet for example because the invincibility frames will swipe you clean. You cannot jump it either it will just AA you. But of course you aren't gonna just throw it out there in the neutral game. That's really useful because Nightwolf can just poke and then his 'offense' can start if you respect the follow up hatchet (even if the poke is blocked sometimes).

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
No but I mean you cannot counter-poke the character should he link D1-hatchet for example because the invincibility frames will swipe you clean. You cannot jump it either it will just AA you. But of course you aren't gonna just throw it out there in the neutral game. That's really useful because Nightwolf can just poke and then his 'offense' can start if you respect the follow up hatchet (even if the poke is blocked sometimes).
D1 axe isnt invincible, theres an 18 frame gap

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I think you have to play at the highest level to determine who wins in a certain mu. I play sub vs kabal online and offline (although not recenly) and that mu doesn't feel that bad, but obviously I know it is because I see top level Kabals raping Sub. Also, Sub owns Nightwolf. Does he win any mu's?