What's new

"I win. I always win." - The Official General Zod Discussion Thread

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
Totally random: I'd like Phantom Strike to reflect projectiles.
I like this a lot. And MB Phantom Strike enabled on successful reflect to work like Raven's MB absorb and send back unblockable projectiles via Phantom Zone portals. That would be amazing.

New discovery: Ending a combo with Phantom Strike (MB or not MB) in the corner leads to a hella ambiguous crossup J3. Whether it will or won't cross up is dependent on hitbox class size. Needs more testing though.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Watched some matches of WNF, and was nice to see @EGP Wonder_Chef doing well with Zod! He might lack a litttle on the zoning part, but he had his set ups and combos down for the most part! He also did the combo I made a video of in to trait mix up, and I was so happy:)

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
Ok, so, tried finding some ambiguous jump in tech with zod after watching Tyrant last night, and came up with this: After hitting them into the air after a long combo, connecting with a d1 gives that super long hard knockdown. Get on top of them and j....anything really. It's extremely ambiguous. I'd test more, but I have work in a half hour and must leave, but I have been able to get it to both crossup and not crossup. And I have found it can loop into itself meterless for a little over 20%. Here's a sample: j2 213 dash 12 link d1, rinse repeat.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
Watched some matches of WNF, and was nice to see @EGP Wonder_Chef doing well with Zod! He might lack a litttle on the zoning part, but he had his set ups and combos down for the most part! He also did the combo I made a video of in to trait mix up, and I was so happy:)
Just watched the WNF archive, I never see it when I'm playing Zod myself, but fuck he brings hype! Even more dedicated to repping him now, for once the crowds will cheer Zod over Superman. XD

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/432121300
Check that out guys. 4:29:22 Is it just me, or did it look like Wraith Slash could punish a PUSH BLOCK. If so, this is huge. No way out of pressure and frame traps, and if you DO push block to escape, we get you there for free anyway.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

So came back home and did some more investigating into ambiguous crossup setup. It seems that neutral jump based crossups occur at the apex of the jump, and depend on when the opponent rises. So the quicker you are, the more likely you are to crossup. Meterless, the most consistent combo is j2 213 12 d1. Have not investigated trait and I'm really not going to. Reason being is that this looping isn't great damage, and is probably best suited to stalling till your trait is back up. Still has valid combo potential if you want to meter burn

In answer to the pushblock question, puchblocking counts as a hit that puts people into a special state. I know, because pushblocking doesn't work on a traited up Doomsday, which is hella scary. It would make sense that it doesn't actually count as a hit and therefore would have no issue with Zod's trait either.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Ok, so, tried finding some ambiguous jump in tech with zod after watching Tyrant last night, and came up with this: After hitting them into the air after a long combo, connecting with a d1 gives that super long hard knockdown. Get on top of them and j....anything really. It's extremely ambiguous. I'd test more, but I have work in a half hour and must leave, but I have been able to get it to both crossup and not crossup. And I have found it can loop into itself meterless for a little over 20%. Here's a sample: j2 213 dash 12 link d1, rinse repeat.

About that ambiguous crossups with neutral jump.. Ive been doing that in my matches but I just dont really know what side Im gonna be landing on, so most of the time I mess up the inputs because I start my combo with a f2. Im gonna be trying to do the j2 213 instead and see if that itll work better than dropping combos because of messed up inputs

Swoops

Noob
Actually, since you just brought up confirms and having a tough time with inputs and pressure/confirming into damage, I thought I'd mention 1,1,2 and 2,2. I think these will both be incredibly useful strings for Zod to go into when up close looking for pressure/confirms.

Neither of them require directional inputs, and not only are they + on block, but they both allow super easy 1+3 follow ups on hit for a free combo. You can get close to 40% and a set up with one bar, with: 112, 1+3, dash 1,2 xx MB close laser, some ender (can't remember >.<) Even if you don't have meter, you can still get solid damage into a hard knockdown with a wraith/charge laser set up. It seems like unless you really know that the f2 is going to work out, 112 is a much better option. Especially since it leaves you at +5

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
News for stick players finding IAZB (Instant Air Zodballs) difficult, I have found a way to get it MUCH more consistently. You NEED to have alternate control off. When doing DF or DB specials, you can input a diagonal straight after the down and still get the special. So doing Up, Down, Downback + 1 will grant you your IAZB without you having to make the full quarter circle motion. Non alternate controls on arcade stick does cause problems like DB specials coming out when you switch between down and downback, but it's definitely a more consistent way to IAZB on stick.

News for stick players finding IAZB (Instant Air Zodballs) difficult, I have found a way to get it MUCH more consistently. You NEED to have alternate control off. When doing DF or DB specials, you can input a diagonal straight after the down and still get the special. So doing Up, Down, Downback + 1 will grant you your IAZB without you having to make the full quarter circle motion. Non alternate controls on arcade stick does cause problems like DB specials coming out when you switch between down and downback, but it's definitely a more consistent way to IAZB on stick.

Listen to this man, because I tried for a while and couldn't do a good one consistently. Changed it out like Disaster FX recommended, now I get them 4/5 times. Soon to be 19/20 with practice. Nice work man.

Can we actually start a movement to change the title? Sorry, I know it's satire, but it's really REALLY bothering me. We have the most quotable DC character, so we should have our silly quote.
I vote either the classic "Kneel before Zod!" or "There's nowhere to hide."

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Can we actually start a movement to change the title? Sorry, I know it's satire, but it's really REALLY bothering me. We have the most quotable DC character, so we should have our silly quote.
Preeeeeeeeeety sure most quotable DC character is the Joker.

If we HAVE to do quotes, we could go with something like....I dunno 'Welcome to Planet Houston'

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
Out of any character/mythos in the DC Universe, I'd argue the Green Lantern oath being a pretty iconic quote.

With the exception of Heath Ledger's performance, the only other Joker quotes I can think of that can even be considered on that scale is "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light?" from Jack Nicholson in Tim Burton's Batman. Joker has an iconic personality, but it's not really quotable.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Out of any character/mythos in the DC Universe, I'd argue the Green Lantern oath being a pretty iconic quote.

With the exception of Heath Ledger's performance, the only other Joker quotes I can think of that can even be considered on that scale is "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light?" from Jack Nicholson in Tim Burton's Batman. Joker has an iconic personality, but it's not really quotable.
GL Oath is pretty iconic, yeah, though 'This looks like a job for Superman' and 'Look up in the sky!......' trump pretty much everything else. Heath Ledger's performance alone is enough really to match Superman II Zod's quoting in my mind. Add that to the Jack Nicholson performances and the comics, I gotta go with Joker.

Okay, I have a really cool idea for a Zod Guide thread. Sadly, I don't know how to make certain fancy things here. Would anybody be willing to help me and countless Zod players?

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Ok, so totally random thing.

Went in to do the Zod Star missions. Whenever he wins at one, he points at the camera and says 'Kneel before Zod', then fanfare starts and he smirks. Is it just me, or does he looks like he came on to a live stage of previously hushed comic fans, and said his catchphrase to get everyone hyped? Like Nimoy doing the Vulcan hand thing.

Marcus

Ok, so totally random thing.

Went in to do the Zod Star missions. Whenever he wins at one, he points at the camera and says 'Kneel before Zod', then fanfare starts and he smirks. Is it just me, or does he looks like he came on to a live stage of previously hushed comic fans, and said his catchphrase to get everyone hyped? Like Nimoy doing the Vulcan hand thing.

This?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
CrimsonShadow
GamerBlake90

See above

I agree, title is annoying and stupid

Please replace w kneel before me

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
I know it has been mentioned that ending corner combos with 123 xx laser charge dash cancel will make the opponent reversal the wrong way, but you can simply end it with 123 by itself and dash to get the same result. My corner combos:

f21u2 xx fast ball, neutral jump 2 xx normal ball, neutral jump 2 xx slow ball, f3, 123, dash (Opponent reversals the wrong way)
f21u2 xx fast ball, neutral jump 2 xx normal ball, neutral jump 2 xx slow ball, f3, d12 xx close ground laser charge (Meaty when charged until end) - Mostly safe on block or even if someone reversals through because of insanely fast recovery.

Mid screen I do this combo now:
f21u2 xx fast ball, forward jump 2 xx normal ball, dash, 12 xx close MB ground laser, dash, d12, dash, dash, neutral jump (crosses up)
f21u2 xx fast ball, forward jump 2 xx normal ball, dash, 12 xx close MB ground laser, dash, d12 xx ground laser charge (meaty etc)
f21u2 xx fast ball, forward jump 2 xx normal ball, dash, 12 xx close MB ground laser, dash, d12 xx 4 (If you do MB ground laser after this, you can make it meaty or very close to meaty so they can't jump out of it)

Marcus

f21u2 xx fast ball, neutral jump 2 xx normal ball, neutral jump 2 xx slow ball, f3, d12 xx close ground laser charge (Meaty when charged until end) - Mostly safe on block or even if someone reversals through because of insanely fast recovery.

f21u2 xx fast ball, forward jump 2 xx normal ball, dash, 12 xx close MB ground laser, dash, d12 xx ground laser charge (meaty etc)
f21u2 xx fast ball, forward jump 2 xx normal ball, dash, 12 xx close MB ground laser, dash, d12 xx 4 (If you do MB ground laser after this, you can make it meaty or very close to meaty so they can't jump out of it)
What do you mean by meaty? They cant jump/wakeup attack out of it?