What's new

"I win. I always win." - The Official General Zod Discussion Thread

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
What's everyone using meter on besides combo enders? Side arm? Rifle? Ground Laser? I dislike using meter for combo enders, but if they're like a string I didn't expect to land that ends in Force Palm, I'd burn for the damage there.
I use the MB Zodballs and Side arm as zoning tools. I love the extra damage on the phantom strike as a combo ender and to put them full screen.

<Insert dumb quote here>

Found one: "General Zod is mediocre. Full character analysis."

Although I guess it's less funny if you can't see the date.

Hor3

Noob
I was playing online on ps3 and i ran into this guy! He was zod and he literally kicked my ass, even my main (batman) I was recording and I want to share this awesome Zod player gamepaly!

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
Well it's about damn time that I got some recognit- .......

I am not pleased, I was expecting a video of MY Zod, not some random Zod. Hmph.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that Zod has a ranged unblockable via air MB'ed rifle and ground laser. It's very finicky based on the speed of your rifle shots and the distance of your opponent. Basically, you have to make sure that the second or third (not first) shot of the airborne MB rifle hits the opponent at the same time that your ground laser hits them. The easiest way to do this in training mode is to backdash twice from the neutral position, do a max-jump-height MB'ed SLOW air rifle (db1b+MB), and then immediately upon landing do a max range ground laser (db2u). The overhead and low will hit simultaneously. Although this leads to only about 10% on its own, with trait out you can do the following:

(Trait active)
nj.db1b MB, db2u (unblockable), 4, db4, dash, db2 (full charge), b3, ji2, 123~bf2 - 44%

The distance on this particular combo is VERY situational. That said, I'm putting it up here because I expect that some lab time will open up more options when you manipulate Zod's jump height, the speed of his rifle shots, the distance of his ground laser, and the timing of his trait attacks. I'm hoping you guys will find more with it.

Another small piece of tech: doing a slow rifle shot with an instant-air Zod Charge is a great way to get in at advantage. Examples:

1. At around mid-screen, a low-air slow rifle shot can be followed by an iaBF2 and leave you at advantage.

2. At almost full screen, a standing OR low-air slow rifle shot can be followed by a forward dash or jump and then an iaBF2. Depending on distance, you'll either land right in front of your opponent or BARELY cross them up and be at advantage.

Swoops

Noob
What's everyone using meter on besides combo enders? Side arm? Rifle? Ground Laser? I dislike using meter for combo enders, but if they're like a string I didn't expect to land that ends in Force Palm, I'd burn for the damage there.
Honestly I try not to use meter for anything but pistol or ground blast. MB charge and palm are alright if you absolutely need the extra damage to end the round, and MB rifle is okay if you reeeeally need to get something on the screen to use another rifle shot or get trait out.

MB ground laser is too good to use meter for much else though. Low from anywhere, combo and set up from anywhere, great chip, can't push block it, can't clash it. MB pistol is practically just as good at getting something on the screen as MB rifle, but it's way faster.

So after some play time, I'm thinking that Zod's options off of a successful trait activation are even more enormous than previously thought. Consider the following options after trait comes out, all of which can be done almost anywhere on screen and are easily hit-confirmable into full combo:

Basic options
-Wraith Snuggle (overhead)
-Ground Laser (low)
-Ground Laser held + Wraith Swipes (delayed low + lockdown + chip)
-Ground Laser meter burn + Wraith Swipes (delayed, sustained low + lockdown + mega chip)
-Ground Laser dash cancel + Wraith Swipes + Wraith Snuggle (fake low + lockdown + instant overhead)
-Pistol Shot + Wraith Snuggle (duckable projectile + overhead) - credit: Colonel-Gilgamesh

More advanced option
-air Rifle meter burn + Wraith Swipes + Ground Laser + Wraith Snuggle

The advanced option requires some explanation. Since the follow-up shots of a MB'ed air Rifle are overheads, you can create a crazy mixup game. Depending on how you change the height of your jump, the speed of the rifle shots, the delay on the ground laser, etc., you can put your opponent in a situation where they have to try to block OH/OH/Low, OH/Low/OH, or Low/OH/OH, and if your spacing is REALLY good, you can just plain old put them in an unblockable. What's more, since you can keep swiping them with the Wraith while doing all of this, they have to sit and take it and try to defend.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
So after some play time, I'm thinking that Zod's options off of a successful trait activation are even more enormous than previously thought. Consider the following options after trait comes out, all of which can be done almost anywhere on screen and are easily hit-confirmable into full combo:

Basic options
-Wraith Snuggle (overhead)
-Ground Laser (low)
-Ground Laser held + Wraith Swipes (delayed low + lockdown + chip)
-Ground Laser meter burn + Wraith Swipes (delayed, sustained low + lockdown + mega chip)
-Ground Laser dash cancel + Wraith Swipes + Wraith Snuggle (fake low + lockdown + instant overhead)

More advanced option
-air Rifle meter burn + Wraith Swipes + Ground Laser + Wraith Snuggle

The advanced option requires some explanation. Since the follow-up shots of a MB'ed air Rifle are overheads, you can create a crazy mixup game. Depending on how you change the height of your jump, the speed of the rifle shots, the delay on the ground laser, etc., you can put your opponent in a situation where they have to try to block OH/OH/Low, OH/Low/OH, or Low/OH/OH, and if your spacing is REALLY good, you can just plain old put them in an unblockable. What's more, since you can keep swiping them with the Wraith while doing all of this, they have to sit and take it and try to defend.
Don't forget to spam Side Arm to make them duck, then hitting them with a random overhead when they try to duck.

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
Having some trouble with Zod and punishing. So far the best combo starter for punishing I can use consistently is his B.23, is there a better option? Usually his f.2 is too slow to actually punish or his b.1 is out of range.

I just have one question.... What are Zod's strong points? Every character should have "something" they do, at the very least, better than their other options. I'm failing at trying to zone. I'm failing at punishing, failing at trying to rush down.

I'm getting bopped by Sinestro's zoning. Getting bopped by superman's rush down.

I just don't see it 0.0.

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
I just have one question.... What are Zod's strong points? Every character should have "something" they do, at the very least, better than their other options. I'm failing at trying to zone. I'm failing at punishing, failing at trying to rush down.

I'm getting bopped by Sinestro's zoning. Getting bopped by superman's rush down.

I just don't see it 0.0.
Punishing is a problem I'm having with Zod also, with the except of times when they do something while trait is active. I've been able to win against some good players with Zod and in my experience he has good/decent tools across the boards but he doesn't shine in any. Similar to Batman, it depends on who he is fighting to use certain tools. The best thing he has is probably 123, activate trait, MB ground laser into full combo with trait lol It's like free 70% damage off one hit for one bar.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman

I just don't see it 0.0.
So you choose the best zoner and the best close range combatant? Zod functions best at mid range where he can employ step kick and the Rifle, as well as mixup with trait and his numerous lows. Both superman and Sinestro have excellent mid range tools and superior zoning, so Zod loses to them. But where he has strength is in his trait, AKA, the great equalizer, which generates 4 seconds of 'opponent can't jump, and must block high'. You can get so much mileage off stuff like this.

BurdManJR270

Bigg Burd
Is there any known tech so far that allows for Zod to be able to summon his trait mid combo and either grab or hit to continue the combo? I tried experimenting with a 213, d2 xx MB Slow Force balls, 4 in the corner with no luck. Maybe possible some way off an anti air D2? Let me know, fellow Zods.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
Is there any known tech so far that allows for Zod to be able to summon his trait mid combo and either grab or hit to continue the combo? I tried experimenting with a 213, d2 xx MB Slow Force balls, 4 in the corner with no luck. Maybe possible some way off an anti air D2? Let me know, fellow Zods.
I've been experimenting like CRAZY and so far the only consistent, practical one I've found is off the Spaceship on the far left of Fortress of Solitude Laboratory.

BurdManJR270

Bigg Burd
I've been experimenting like CRAZY and so far the only consistent, practical one I've found is off the Spaceship on the far left of Fortress of Solitude Laboratory.
Yeah, I meant without using any interactions or anything. The electrical wires in the Bat cave work as well.