What's new

I think Raiden is overpowered

pzea

Noob
online, raiden is definitely overpowered. His teleport is too fast to punish online usually. His superman is very fast, and even when i react block for it, sometimes hes rolling in the air close, and sometimes far, and when hes far I can't combo after it which is stupid. Raiden and Lui Kang are the two most cheapest characters to use online. Offline it might be a different story, but online it just gets ridiculous.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
online, raiden is definitely overpowered. His teleport is too fast to punish online usually. His superman is very fast, and even when i react block for it, sometimes hes rolling in the air close, and sometimes far, and when hes far I can't combo after it which is stupid. Raiden and Lui Kang are the two most cheapest characters to use online. Offline it might be a different story, but online it just gets ridiculous.
Learn how to counter Raiden and Lui Kang imo. They're just like every other character - they have weaknesses, and strengths. Figure out what those are, along with the common strings and mind games they use, and beat them.

Or keep posting online about how they're OMGSOBROKENWTF!!!!11CHEAP

Raiden, to me, is overpowered. Simple as that.

Is there any way to get out of the electric fly/scorpion's hellfire trap for tag team matches? This Raiden I fought against last night was using the glitching screen to his advantage, and I was forced to take damage without choice.

Either block the electric fly and eat the unblockable, or jump/dash the unblockable and eat the electric fly.

I would really like to learn the answer to this. Sub-Zero just had no chance, I couldn't see what was going on because he kept glitching the screen.

I sincerely want to go from my opinion of a good Raiden player as being overpowered and change that to simply being an uphill struggle, or great challenge at the very least. The tricks this raiden player was pulling off was just simply nonsense. I'm thinking of picking Raiden up just so I can learn the match-up better, but man... Someone tell me the trick to this first? Ways to read? Punish?

Raiden, to me, is overpowered. Simple as that.

Is there any way to get out of the electric fly/scorpion's hellfire trap for tag team matches? This Raiden I fought against last night was using the glitching screen to his advantage, and I was forced to take damage without choice.

Either block the electric fly and eat the unblockable, or jump/dash the unblockable and eat the electric fly.

I would really like to learn the answer to this. Sub-Zero just had no chance, I couldn't see what was going on because he kept glitching the screen.

I sincerely want to go from my opinion of a good Raiden player as being overpowered and change that to simply being an uphill struggle, or great challenge at the very least. The tricks this raiden player was pulling off was just simply nonsense. I'm thinking of picking Raiden up just so I can learn the match-up better, but man... Someone tell me the trick to this first? Ways to read? Punish?
Tag is not balanced I would assume, Im sorry.

As a player on XBL with a 80%+ win rating, and probably a 90% win rating when I play with my main (and I don't usually play scrubs except if I'm in KoH), let me just say that Raiden is 100% overpowered online. No doubt about it, anybody who tells you anything different is lying to you.

I can deal with Kano, I can deal with Kung Lao, I can deal with Reptile, Ermac, Smoke, and Kabal. Bring 'em. But Raiden? Raiden I have no chance against. In order to block his superman, I have to guess early with block. However, even if I do block his superman, he bounces away so far that it's a 50/50 whether or not I'm going to be quick enough to punish it. That's a safe, extremely fast, high damage forward attack - nobody has all of those in one. But the other problem is that his teleport means I can't block, because he'll simply teleport as soon as I do and either grab me, sweep me, or begin a combo that he can stop at any time and switch to grab. There's literally nothing I can do except eat chip damage and get ready to be thrown.

And sure, I do win a few matches against Raidens. And most of those I win because I make it a mirror match and watch the supermans go flying. I almost refuse to play against Raiden anymore with another character. Let's break it down a bit:

With Reptile, here are the following moves that I use against most characters (obviously there are some matches that require different things):
Slow forceball, fast forceball, slide, dash, acid spit, EX Slow Forceball, EX dash, EX slide, EX acid spit, X-Ray, 1-2-2-1 Combo, 3-2-1 Combo, 2-3+4 Combo, F3-1+2 Combo, Throws, B3, and occassionally 1-2-B1. Those are the moves I use. Sure, I'll go invis against some match ups, and I'll go with the F2-B1 combo against Scorpion all day long... but the above are my typical repitoire.

With Raiden, me and any other good Raiden who plays with him use this:
Teleport-Throw/Sweep/3-3-4, Superman, Electric Bolt, EX Electric Bolt, Superman, EX Superman, X-Ray, and we'll do a few other moves if we get the juggle combo going, but only in that situation.

So basically, with Raiden I'm going to do ten moves against you. With Reptile (another top tier), I need to do seventeen moves.

Now, not only that, but also there's the issue of the pattern. With Reptile, I'm going to throw forceballs, acid spits, dashes, slides, combos, and grabs at you in an effort to hit you unexpectedly and get some damage in there. With Raiden, I'm going to repeatedly teleport faster than you can respond, grabbing you if you're blocking before you can adjust, supermanning you if you try to, and chipping away at you with my overhead combo if needed. You'll know the pattern, but there's nothing you can do about it.

That's what's patently overpowered about Raiden. If I know somebody's pattern, I should be able to exploit it. Ninety-percent of Raidens online have the same pattern, and there is no way to exploit it unless they make really foolish mistakes. That's the problem.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I am great, I win a lot therefore my difficulty with Raiden means he is overpowered. He has mix up! WTF! He should have no teleport, no superman and no throw. Then he will be fine. This coming from a pro player which means I am 100% right
This is the TL: DR version for all you people.

Deal with it. Learn to read raiden and learn to tech a throw.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
only the cyborg costumes.
Thats a bit of a silly point. If everyone has access to the robot costumes they will use them. No one will limit themselves pointlessly and arbitrarily. In a tournament they will go for cyborg costume.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I now use cage against raiden and poke the living crap out of them in most annoying way I possibly can. f3,2, f3,2, f3, d4, f3,2, 21 etc. I hate playing Raiden tbh as players with almost no skill can give a really hard time to someone that does. Thats my only beef with him but hey, fight fire with fire.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
As a player on XBL with a 80%+ win rating, and probably a 90% win rating when I play with my main (and I don't usually play scrubs except if I'm in KoH), let me just say that Raiden is 100% overpowered online. No doubt about it, anybody who tells you anything different is lying to you.

I can deal with Kano, I can deal with Kung Lao, I can deal with Reptile, Ermac, Smoke, and Kabal. Bring 'em. But Raiden? Raiden I have no chance against. In order to block his superman, I have to guess early with block. However, even if I do block his superman, he bounces away so far that it's a 50/50 whether or not I'm going to be quick enough to punish it. That's a safe, extremely fast, high damage forward attack - nobody has all of those in one. But the other problem is that his teleport means I can't block, because he'll simply teleport as soon as I do and either grab me, sweep me, or begin a combo that he can stop at any time and switch to grab. There's literally nothing I can do except eat chip damage and get ready to be thrown.

And sure, I do win a few matches against Raidens. And most of those I win because I make it a mirror match and watch the supermans go flying. I almost refuse to play against Raiden anymore with another character. Let's break it down a bit:

With Reptile, here are the following moves that I use against most characters (obviously there are some matches that require different things):
Slow forceball, fast forceball, slide, dash, acid spit, EX Slow Forceball, EX dash, EX slide, EX acid spit, X-Ray, 1-2-2-1 Combo, 3-2-1 Combo, 2-3+4 Combo, F3-1+2 Combo, Throws, B3, and occassionally 1-2-B1. Those are the moves I use. Sure, I'll go invis against some match ups, and I'll go with the F2-B1 combo against Scorpion all day long... but the above are my typical repitoire.

With Raiden, me and any other good Raiden who plays with him use this:
Teleport-Throw/Sweep/3-3-4, Superman, Electric Bolt, EX Electric Bolt, Superman, EX Superman, X-Ray, and we'll do a few other moves if we get the juggle combo going, but only in that situation.

So basically, with Raiden I'm going to do ten moves against you. With Reptile (another top tier), I need to do seventeen moves.

Now, not only that, but also there's the issue of the pattern. With Reptile, I'm going to throw forceballs, acid spits, dashes, slides, combos, and grabs at you in an effort to hit you unexpectedly and get some damage in there. With Raiden, I'm going to repeatedly teleport faster than you can respond, grabbing you if you're blocking before you can adjust, supermanning you if you try to, and chipping away at you with my overhead combo if needed. You'll know the pattern, but there's nothing you can do about it.

That's what's patently overpowered about Raiden. If I know somebody's pattern, I should be able to exploit it. Ninety-percent of Raidens online have the same pattern, and there is no way to exploit it unless they make really foolish mistakes. That's the problem.
omg, I can't believe we are having the same conversation, yet again. Superman->Block + punish. It's a no brainer. If he bounces back, dash and punish. Most Raiden players do Electric Fly on wake-up, block and punish them. Yes, the Teleport is fast, poke them with d + 1 or do a combo or uppercut on reaction. It's doable. Your win/loss ratio doesn't really mean anything. Why are you using it is an argument here? I was just at a tournament where an average Cyrax player punished me on Teleport with uppercut consistently. Go watch some of my videos in the 'Raiden match videos" thread and see for yourself Wu-Renegade punishing my Teleport with full combo on reaction.

rev

Noob
Superman is way broke =P If you're lucky enough to block one, then yeah, punishville here we come. But it punishes every super up to full screen and it beats out dash-blocking up to half-screen, sometimes 3/4 screen. If you superman when they dash, it will beat the block. If they are blocking the superman during a dash-block, its because they had already started blocking when you began the superman.

But I'm just griping because my main's match up is 0-10 vs raiden. Raiden should never lose to Ermac... ever.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Just change is his teleport. You shouldn't be at a disadvantage if he teleports whilst your your blocking. Thats is all.

Lyuben said:
This is the TL: DR version for all you people.

Deal with it. Learn to read raiden and learn to tech a throw.
Your response was quite disrespectful. I gave an articulate explanation for why Raiden is overpowered, and most completely ignored it.

Online, Raiden's moves are so fast that you must anticipate them before he does them, and it is simply impossible to do all the time. Furthermore, Raiden requires very few moves to win against any other character - he can do a pattern, rinse and repeat, and online there's very little you can do about it.

And here's the funny thing - I PLAY WITH RAIDEN. I beat Raidens with Raiden. I stopped playing with Raiden most of the time because he's so stinking cheap that I feel dirty playing with him online. But if you pick Raiden, I will too and beat you if you're not a really good player. You would think that the fact that I have to mirror match to beat a character would show he's overpowered.

Raiden could be totally fixed with one adjustment:

Move the teleport farther away from the opponent.

If he couldn't grab you out of the teleport, the newbs wouldn't have a chance playing with him anymore.

He can't. You have to dash and then grab.
I teleport and grab all the time, it doesn't take a dash... just pressing forward out of the tele will work. If the person is very fast, they may cancel the throw, but that's the best they can do. They still took damage, and they still are in the same situation.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Which requires you to dash before or while he teleports. If you were blocking a second ago, this is impossible. If you dash before or while he teleports, you guessed he was going to teleport and may now be eating the superman instead. Blocking should not equal a free throw because Raiden can tele and grab before you can get out of the block animation.
It's not a free throw. It's breakable.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I teleport and grab all the time, it doesn't take a dash... just pressing forward out of the tele will work. If the person is very fast, they may cancel the throw, but that's the best they can do. They still took damage, and they still are in the same situation.
You teleport grab all the time? You were the guy who made that long whine post as well... so you also play raiden and think he is overpowered?

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I play ermac and honestly raiden is the hardest match up
1 - You cant keep him away since his teleport is instant
2 - You're afraid to jump since his superman can be done in the air
3 - If you jump at him to put pressure, he just teleports like a jerk

He's hard but not impossible. I don't think he's overpowered either but his teleport is the most annoying thing I've ever seen:raiden: lol

jtom

Noob
learn to tech a throw, if you dont feel comfortable teching then answer his tele's with d1/d3

superman is extremely punishable. if for some reason the lag is so bad that you cannot adequately punish it, then you really shouldnt be playing that particular opponent.