Has NRS Gone SJW

• Yes

Votes: 25 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 90 78.3%

• Total voters

Ceroder

Noob
I hate it when LTG gets the attention he obviously doesnt deserve.
Honestly, hes a joke in FGC community. He is irrelevant.

whose opinion about aesthetics does NRS care about more, 100 pros many of which are going to play the game no matter what because that's how they make money, or 10,000,000 potential customers?.
Probably the 10,000,000 who the 100 proes showcase, promote and help sell the game to...?
---

Is "most gamers" synonim of "you", in this phrase?
No... on both counts.

There's nothing wrong with having some hot babes in a game, for people who are into that. But the problem here is that unless every female character is a bikini-wearing pole-dancing young stripper, there's a bunch of manchildren who cry and whine because there is a female character who doesn't exist to be their fap fantasy.
Although there is truth to the latter part of our statement, to make the overnight leap from 'bikini ninjas' to burqas, is a understandably a jagged pill to swallow for some. Also, as sure as I am that some females (et al.) play games like Mortal Kombat, the overwhelming target demographic for the franchise is male -- adolescent males. As such, if they dump their core demographic overnight, by pandering to the minority, then they're surely throwing the babies out with the bathwater...

Also, this systematic 'covering-up' seems to only apply to the females, nay Kanos, Shao Kahn¹ etc.... Which is curious.

¹No -- I do NOT want Kahn in a full-body thwab

Lun

proud TERF!
Probably the 10,000,000 who the 100 proes showcase, promote and help sell the game to...?
---

No... on both counts.

Although there is truth to the latter part of our statement, to make the overnight leap from 'bikini ninjas' to burqas,
You see, this is why I can't take you seriously at all.

You actually call these outfits "burqas". I don't really have anything else to add.

is a understandably a jagged pill to swallow for some. Also, as sure as I am that some females (et al.) play games like Mortal Kombat, the overwhelming target demographic for the franchise is male -- adolescent males. As such, if they dump their core demographic overnight, by pandering to the minority, then they're surely throwing the babies out with the bathwater...
What if you confuse cause and effect? What if the bikini babes are why it's "adolescent straight males" that you THINK is the main demographic? What if adding female characters who are attractive AND can be taken seriously as fighters is what will change the demographic to include more women?

What if I told you as a kid I loved Sonya Blade in MK1, as I thought she was more badass and less sexualized than what we usually got in videogames back then? And I feel MK11 is the evolution of that?

Also, this systematic 'covering-up' seems to only apply to the females, nay Kanos, Shao Kahn¹ etc.... Which is curious.

¹No -- I do NOT want Kahn in a full-body thwab

And yet you conveniently forgot that for each Kano or Shao Kahn there's a Raiden or a Scorpion.

MK11 is simply putting some women in some non-sexy outfits, just like it has always done with the men.

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Can understand a discussion about it, I have my feelings about the matter too. But quoting LTG....really? He is a dumbass and shouldn't be mentioned.
I really like that Kitana costume, it is stripper like, but looks nice imo. The DOA bikini chicks are too much, lol, can't take those serious at all.

Also, you make some of the worst thread titles/threads I've seen.

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Btw, there shouldn't be a thread about this. Leads to an endless dicussion. Keep it in the rant thread.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

Twitter

For mine, 'over-exposure' in fighting games isn't my glass of Chiante -- bikinis and nude mods are the last outfits I'd ever use -- with the female form, it's what you don't see that makes it allure, not Nat Geo level, in-your-face nudity (...grown ups will know what I'm talking about).

However
, I do see the point being made here: That people play games for escapism and titillation -- covering fictitious female protagonists ("protagonettes"?) in burqas or 'de-feminising' them, isn't what most gamers want.

A spade a spade: The PG-13 direction of character designs, as a knee-jerk response to the '#MeSJWtoo' fads, not only flies laughably in the face of the ultra-violence that many games depict nowadays, but, if E-sports players -- the demographic often cited as the catalyst for such change -- are also being put offside by said politically errant moves, what is the point?
Thread merged.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
You see, this is why I can't take you seriously at all.

You actually call these outfits "burqas". I don't really have anything else to add.

What if you confuse cause and effect? What if the bikini babes are why it's "adolescent straight males" that you THINK is the main demographic? What if adding female characters who are attractive AND can be taken seriously as fighters is what will change the demographic to include more women?

What if I told you as a kid I loved Sonya Blade in MK1, as I thought she was more badass and less sexualized than what we usually got in videogames back then? And I feel MK11 is the evolution of that?

And yet you conveniently forgot that for each Kano or Shao Kahn there's a Raiden or a Scorpion.

MK11 is simply putting some women in some non-sexy outfits, just like it has always done with the men.
People who call those burkas are idiots they just word vomit OAG's article and they sound like him too. I didn't hear that about Sub-Zero's hoods in IJ2? I feel like this dude is just trying to get negative attention and he's massively overreacting about all of this. The worst part is that his followers (OAG) agree with him without taking the time to even think for themselves and that's the problem with tribal mentality and labels like anti-sjw and sjw.

I mean, is the guy shocked that Ed Boon didn't personally cater this game to his own preference? Sounds like childish whining to me.

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
Did you guys notice that a thread was created to talk about the topics of how women should behave/appear? Even in videogames, people assume that women have no voice of their own.

And I think a lot of people get lost in this "not sexy anymore!!!" debate... I think, for women, being sexy isn't the problem, the issue is when every fucking female looks like their pussy is wetwet ready to fucfuc and nothing else matters.

Reactions: Lun

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
Eh, what?
Women in videogames for a long time were basically designed to be "sexy for male players", and now we're seeing this getting a better treatment, but I see a lot of people thinking that "SJW are here to end sexiness!!!!" and I don't think that's really the case.

Women just want to be represented in a more diverse way, which is the reality of things. So, women can still be sexy if they want, but designing every female to be super sexy is like saying this is their only reality and purpose.

I'm being careful with my words as I shouldn't even be talking about women issues since I'm not one.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Women in videogames for a long time were basically designed to be "sexy for male players", and now we're seeing this getting a better treatment, but I see a lot of people thinking that "SJW are here to end sexiness!!!!" and I don't think that's really the case.

Women just want to be represented in a more diverse way, which is the reality of things. So, women can still be sexy if they want, but designing every female to be super sexy is like saying this their only reality.

I'm being careful with my words as I shouldn't even be talking about women issues since I'm not one
Ah okay, I see. Even if you're not a woman, you shouldn't force yourself to use specific words I mean you can still understand women's struggles even if you're not a woman, all it takes is emotion and all humans have that capacity.

That said, I'm a woman and I like when women are attractive and fit in games. It's fantasy, it's not real and tho I love when there is diversity in terms of body shapes and bewb sizes, which DOA6 actually pulled off pretty well, I don't think anyone wants to play an average looking character because we know it isn't real and we just want characters to look badass and hot.

Hollywood movies don't sell because of the amazing ground-breaking storytelling, most blockbusters sell because of attractive leads. Is it right? Who cares, we don't have to uphold their standards because we're regular people. But visually, humans are attracted to pretty and shiny things and everyone knows that and they'll capitalize on that until the end of times.

Lun

proud TERF!
Ah okay, I see. Even if you're not a woman, you shouldn't force yourself to use specific words I mean you can still understand women's struggles even if you're not a woman, all it takes is emotion and all humans have that capacity.

That said, I'm a woman and I like when women are attractive and fit in games. It's fantasy, it's not real and tho I love when there is diversity in terms of body shapes and bewb sizes, which DOA6 actually pulled off pretty well, I don't think anyone wants to play an average looking character because we know it isn't real and we just want characters to look badass and hot.

Hollywood movies don't sell because of the amazing ground-breaking storytelling, most blockbusters sell because of attractive leads. Is it right? Who cares, we don't have to uphold their standards because we're regular people. But visually, humans are attracted to pretty and shiny things and everyone knows that and they'll capitalize on that until the end of times.

See, as a woman too, I feel the opposite.

I'd rather play an average-looking character with personality than a hot character with zero personality.

And let me tell you that your opinion of films is very bleak and shallow. I can suggest you a lot of excellent films if you like.

Lun

proud TERF!

Women just want to be represented in a more diverse way, which is the reality of things. So, women can still be sexy if they want, but designing every female to be super sexy is like saying this is their only reality and purpose.

I'm being careful with my words as I shouldn't even be talking about women issues since I'm not one.

You feel exactly the same way I do, so thumbs up for me!

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
See, as a woman too, I feel the opposite.

I'd rather play an average-looking character with personality than a hot character with zero personality.

And let me tell you that your opinion of films is very bleak and shallow. I can suggest you a lot of excellent films if you like.
Well, that's your personal preference and that's fine, but it doesn't mean that one or the other is wrong or sexist.

I specified Hollywood blockbusters, not actual good movies.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I just look at it as trying to give female characters the same depth and agency that male characters have typically gotten.

Lun

proud TERF!
Well, that's your personal preference and that's fine, but it doesn't mean that one or the other is wrong or sexist.

I specified Hollywood blockbusters, not actual good movies.
Modern Hollywood blockbusters rely on generic cute actors because they have nothing else to support them.

As a woman and a feminist, I often butted heads with those women who want sexualized characters. It is my understanding that they see them as a power fantasy, fantasizing to be as beautiful and sexy as them.
Except that is NOT my perception, an a lot of women's perception, of a power fantasy. You probably perceive the sexualized characters as empoweringly perfect, but I perceive them as demeaned.

The solution is the choice. You wanna play as a bikini babe, fine by me. But let me play as D'vorah or as middleaged Sonya.