What's new

I Hate Wavedashing: A Rant And Discussion Starter

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Tiers are always based off who take advantage of a mechanic.universality is never the answer.
Are they though? The top 5 of this game are better because of their buttons. To be honest I wouldnt consider WD a point of emphasis on any characters tier placement.

Last edited:

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
You don't want Cetrion or Baraka with a wavedash, and some of the cast would possibly be worse without wavedashing.

Not everything needs to be universal, especially in a game where diversity is already a complaint.
Yeah I spoke on that a little bit I'll elaborate. I believe WD should be like jumping or run soemthing that the entire cast has access to. This wouldnt affect the diversity at all in fact it would make more characters viable by givingthem options to extend combos and oki. I dont think WD should be anything other than a system mechanic. As it stands now its overly complicated.

Are they though? The top 5 of this game are better because of their buttons. To be honest I wouldnt consider WD a point of emphasis on any characters tier placement.
Top 5 characters potentially cage(great wave dash that compliment his normals) Geras(great wave dash that compliment is normals) Cetrion(great backward wavedash that compliment her buttons) Liu Kang(Great wavedash that compliment his movement) Wave dashing is part of the movement and movement is important to determine how good a character is

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Top 5 characters potentially cage(great wave dash that compliment his normals) Geras(great wave dash that compliment is normals) Cetrion(great backward wavedash that compliment her buttons) Liu Kang(Great wavedash that compliment his movement) Wave dashing is part of the movement and movement is important to determine how good a character is
Ok what you said is true, however that doesn't dispute the fact that those characters still have better buttons than everyone else. That's the point I'm making you can't point out a character in this game and say this person's WD puts them over another.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
I cant wave dash to save my life
Although i use noob and after reading this thread apparently its garbage the input is ff block f block repeat?
Or ff block ff block repeat?

Ok what you said is true, however that doesn't dispute the fact that those characters still have better buttons than everyone else. That's the point I'm making you can't point out a character in this game and say this person's WD puts them over another.
WEll even if all the wad=vedash were universal those characters would still have their buttons so why bother making it universal?

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
With or without wavedash I have no problem with the game. I just think there is no reason for universality when different wavedash gives the character more personality
The reason would be it makes the oppressive really good characters even more oppressive and really good

DeftMonk

Noob
I cant wave dash to save my life
Although i use noob and after reading this thread apparently its garbage the input is ff block f block repeat?
Or ff block ff block repeat?
the way you wave dash is like this: (same for any game just inputs are different)
F F F you have 3 F inputs here but you will get 2 dashes IF #1 u tap block to cancel the first dash short (otherwise next part is impossible) and #2 the time between second and third forward input is quick enough to create a dash on its own if you inputted forward forward at that speed. For multiple wave dashes the idea is same just keep the time between all the FFs close enough so that each group of 2 would make a dash and throw a block input in quickly in the middle. To maximize the speed and distance in mk11 after you get this much down... experiment with timing of the block quickly or more delayed towards next F as each character has a different startup speed at beginning of dash.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
lol they are all top tier with low recovery on their moves and great projectiles. It would only hurt the mid tier
You're missing the part where these characters only have great neutral BECAUSE OF THE FUCKING MOVEMENT AND THE DASH CANCELING. Without these mechanics, the top 5's neutral is actually pretty sus.

You're missing the part where these characters only have great neutral BECAUSE OF THE FUCKING MOVEMENT AND THE DASH CANCELING. Without these mechanics, the top 5's neutral is actually pretty sus.
really Johnny Cage only has good neutral because of his movement? Or Geras? Or Cetrion or Kung Lao?

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
really Johnny Cage only has good neutral because of his movement? Or Geras? Or Cetrion or Kung Lao?
Geras, Cetrion and Johnny would all have to actually risk whiffing if the ability to extend normal ranges was removed from the game. They'd be forced to actually play around range weaknesses.

DeftMonk

Noob
Removing wave dashes would force those characters to have to play actual footsies and take more risks.
I seriously don't see what your talking about here....Have you ever seen high level footage of two characters well beyond jump distance away and some dude just scoot scooting his way in while the other player does jack shit and then blocks pressure????? I haven't played in a month but I highly doubt all of a sudden this is the meta. If it isn't then footsies still exist. Like jax is beyond jump distance and ducks a projectile then scoots the fuck in and his opponent just holds a f3? If some dude is doing the electric slide towards you...you know the max reach of his longest normal and you can wait until he gets there and back up or hit a button that will crush his button. Whats that you say? He knew you were gonna do that and as soon as he passed that barrier walked backwards and whiff punished ur button??? Sounds like footsies bruh.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
I seriously don't see what your talking about here....Have you ever seen high level footage of two characters beyond jump distance away and some dude just scoot scooting his way in while the other player does jack shit and then blocks pressure????? I haven't played in a month but I highly doubt all of a sudden this is the meta. If it isn't then footsies still exist.
Footsies do not exist in mk11.

DeftMonk

Noob
Footsies do not exist in mk11.
The only thing mk11 has (other than production quality and perhaps balance) over mkx is the existance of footsies and more traditional neutral in high level play imo. If footsies really don't exist at all in mk11 and neutral is just bunch of monkeys wavedashing into poke/throw or low/oh 50/50s in a game where every character's depth is arguably the most shallow of any fighting game in the last decade(any character in this game a pro could lab for 15 minutes and master most optimals and basic game plan)...then this game is the dumbest fighting game nrs has ever made. Which I don't believe to be true.