What's new

I Hate Wavedashing: A Rant And Discussion Starter

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
I've been saying since I dunno, month 2 or 3 of MK11 that the games footsie and neutral game are severely lacking due to movement being too good. I'm not going to dive into that whole thing because I want to make a video about it, but I do want to talk about one of the worst offenders which is wavedashing.

As soon as this was discovered, I knew the game was immediately not going to be what I was looking forward to and that my beta experience was just a lie. So I'm gonna lay out just bullet points about why I don't like it.

1: Footsies no longer exist. Buttons, as far as the defender is concerned, have RNG range due to dash canceling combined with being able to cancel dashes into jumps. Wave dash characters do not take risks of whiffing except when they're waking up.

2: It's completely safe uncheckable movement, the enemy of fighting games.

3: Knockbacks etc don't mean anything. Wave dashers get full screen oki off straight hits if the situation arises.

The thing is MK11 even in it's current state with the broken jump ins etc would be a lot better if winning neutral or getting in were a lot more harder. If you had to actually play an Injustice style lame footsie game to get to your setplay first and all that I'd actually love this game. The move cancelability ruins it all for me, but especially wave dashing since it's the movements issues turned up to 11.

So now I'm gonna pre-emptively answer arguments I know will be thrown my way.

1: Tekken has wave dashing. Yes it does, it also has limited options and is always beatable by lows because to achieve the fastest block possible you have to neutral block which involves standing. Tekken also doesn't have a combo breaker to punish you for playing neutral against this movement like MK11 does.

2: Wave dashing requires execution. A: if you set your block to R1 it doesn't at all. B: even if this were true, while I wish the game was more execution intensive in general (I was in huge favor of alternate amplify inputs that required precision for example), you still have to look at the results and effects on the game once that execution is achieved. This being arguably difficult to consistently do isn't worth sacrificing the games entire neutral and footsie game for. Doesn't seem an even trade off.

3: But Chernyy, I won't be able to get in on zoners if I can't do this. This isn't true. The degenerate movement is precisely why you also need the degenerate movement to catch up to zoners because Cetrion literally has a backwards wave dash that's cancelable into forward advancing buttons anytime she likes. This game already has average faster forward than back walk speed, Cetrion would be a lot worse if this games dashing functioned like Inj2 where you had notable recovery at the end of a dash.

What do you guys think? Obviously I hate this part of the game. It might be in fact what keeps me from enjoying it. I also think it's often responsible for the samey gameplans across the cast and why the game is so counterpick/top 5 driven.

Chernyy Volk

I'd much rather have this system than Injustice's stiff dashes. I couldn't stand not being able to cancel a dash, it just felt so sluggish.
Injustice was a traditional fighting game. I don't think the movement feeling good is worth what it does to the game myself.

Chernyy Volk

Wavedashing is fine, you just play too much online.

fast movement ≠ bad footsies

Fast, foward advancing mids, sometimes with no hurtbox is what "kills" footsies.

Or a system that randomly prioritizes between P1 and P2 who wins priority :rolleyes:
I find zero difference in dealing with it between offline and online.

Fast movement doesn't = bad footsies though, the problem is the ability to make normal ranges variable due to the movement being cancelable. That's my issue.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
Just a quick question, i never played any of the injustices, is the day recovery something similar to what sfv has?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You said this before, but I still can’t understand it. There are plenty of footsies in every tournament you see in this game. I can clip you 50 examples just from NEC alone.

Imo the movement in this game is the perfect balance of slow and more rapid spurts.. But if anything, it definitely doesn’t need to be slower.

And you still have to commit to attack at some point, which means you’re always vulnerable to being outfootsied, whiff punished, etc.

I just think this is a really weird take that doesn’t jive with how top-level matches are playing out at all.

Chernyy Volk

You said this before, but I still can’t understand it. There are plenty of footsies in every tournament you see in this game. I can clip you 50 examples just from NEC alone.

Imo the movement in this game is the perfect balance of slow and more rapid spurts.. But if anything, it definitely doesn’t need to be slower.

And you still have to commit to attack at some point, which means you’re always vulnerable to being outfootsied, whiff punished, etc.

I just think this is a really weird take that doesn’t jive with how top-level matches are playing out at all.
And yet if I ask most top players they agree with me. I literally talked about this subject with Gambler and Grr at KIT and they share a lot of my thoughts regarding this aspect of the game. Very few top players think this game has footsies, or a satisfying neutral game.

Chernyy Volk

Just a quick question, i never played any of the injustices, is the day recovery something similar to what sfv has?
Dash recoveries in Inj2 I think are almost double what an SFV dash is. Dashes in SFV are similar to MK11. Almost no recovery and unreactable.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Just need to get rid of long range advancing normals, it's not really a movement problem, normals and strings in MK games advance way too much and in most cases way too quikly.

Chernyy Volk

Just just need to get rid of long range advancing normals, it's not really a movement problem, normals and strings in MK games advance way too much.
Look at Inj2 and this wasn't a problem. You can easily bait out and whiff punish normals when ranges are static.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Look at Inj2 and this wasn't a problem. You can easily bait out and whiff punish normals when ranges are static.
Injustice doesn't has this problem because Dashes cover too much distance without being canceled, walking it's much slower and some characters are forced to play this way, but then you have zoners firing projectiles at each other from fullscreen making a dull game.

As said Earlier, MK9 didn't had this problem because
A: No character had super advancing normals to a certain extent
b: attacks didn't automatically did everything like it does since MKX, you have mids that hit in the air, in the ground, crouching and ppl trying to retreat while being safe, no gaps and are still plus.

Chernyy Volk

Whiff punishment by itself isn't footsies in a game where barely negative button into walk back is legit offense in this game. You can't plan around making somebody whiff in this game except in pressure which just adds to the games heavily offense based nature.

You can't plan or bait a whiff punish in this game in neutral against peoeple who know how the game works due to the ability to modify normal ranges with dash cancels. The range you're required to stand at against most characters to both accomodate for natural and max distance dash cancel range puts you into optimal zoning range. Hence the footsies aren't happening, or if a whiff punish does occur in raw neutral, it's often a fluke that's reactionary. Dunno if this makes enough sense.

Chernyy Volk

Injustice doesn't has this problem because Dashes cover too much distance without being canceled, walking it's much slower and some characters are forced to play this way, but then you have zoners firing projectiles at each other from fullscreen making a dull game.

As said Earlier, MK9 didn't had this problem because
A: No character had super advancing normals to a certain extent
b: attacks didn't automatically did everything like it does since MKX, you have mids that hit in the air, in the ground, crouching and ppl trying to retreat while being safe, no gaps and are still plus.
Dashes in inj2 are literally full combo punishable on recovery. People just didn't practice doing this. The game had consistent footsies in it's neutral due to this.

Also zoning is mad upplayed in Inj2. The zoners had to eventually also play the footsies and a lot of those characters got bodied when they had to actually use normals.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Dashes in inj2 are literally full combo punishable on recovery. People just didn't practice doing this. The game had consistent footsies in it's neutral due to this.

Also zoning is mad upplayed in Inj2. The zoners had to eventually also play the footsies and a lot of those characters got bodied when they had to actually use normals.
still not a dash problem, it's more how much range it covers

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
I've been saying since I dunno, month 2 or 3 of MK11 that the games footsie and neutral game are severely lacking due to movement being too good. I'm not going to dive into that whole thing because I want to make a video about it, but I do want to talk about one of the worst offenders which is wavedashing.

As soon as this was discovered, I knew the game was immediately not going to be what I was looking forward to and that my beta experience was just a lie. So I'm gonna lay out just bullet points about why I don't like it.

1: Footsies no longer exist. Buttons, as far as the defender is concerned, have RNG range due to dash canceling combined with being able to cancel dashes into jumps. Wave dash characters do not take risks of whiffing except when they're waking up.

2: It's completely safe uncheckable movement, the enemy of fighting games.

3: Knockbacks etc don't mean anything. Wave dashers get full screen oki off straight hits if the situation arises.

The thing is MK11 even in it's current state with the broken jump ins etc would be a lot better if winning neutral or getting in were a lot more harder. If you had to actually play an Injustice style lame footsie game to get to your setplay first and all that I'd actually love this game. The move cancelability ruins it all for me, but especially wave dashing since it's the movements issues turned up to 11.

So now I'm gonna pre-emptively answer arguments I know will be thrown my way.

1: Tekken has wave dashing. Yes it does, it also has limited options and is always beatable by lows because to achieve the fastest block possible you have to neutral block which involves standing. Tekken also doesn't have a combo breaker to punish you for playing neutral against this movement like MK11 does.

2: Wave dashing requires execution. A: if you set your block to R1 it doesn't at all. B: even if this were true, while I wish the game was more execution intensive in general (I was in huge favor of alternate amplify inputs that required precision for example), you still have to look at the results and effects on the game once that execution is achieved. This being arguably difficult to consistently do isn't worth sacrificing the games entire neutral and footsie game for. Doesn't seem an even trade off.

3: But Chernyy, I won't be able to get in on zoners if I can't do this. This isn't true. The degenerate movement is precisely why you also need the degenerate movement to catch up to zoners because Cetrion literally has a backwards wave dash that's cancelable into forward advancing buttons anytime she likes. This game already has average faster forward than back walk speed, Cetrion would be a lot worse if this games dashing functioned like Inj2 where you had notable recovery at the end of a dash.

What do you guys think? Obviously I hate this part of the game. It might be in fact what keeps me from enjoying it. I also think it's often responsible for the samey gameplans across the cast and why the game is so counterpick/top 5 driven.
Wavedashing is the absolute least of this game’s problems imo
What's your thoughts on this btw Sonic? You play a character that gets super fucked by this when he's intended to be a footsie character lol
I actually don’t have an issue with wavedashing at all. I deal with them the same way I deal with sf dashes, I just do a normal buffered into a special. I wouldn’t mind dashes being unable to be cancelled i to a block since that way they can’t move in as safely (which obviously would get rid of wavedashing) but even then I’m not losing sleep over it. And normals being special cancelled doesn’t bother me at all honestly.

DeftMonk

Noob
I find zero difference in dealing with it between offline and online.

Fast movement doesn't = bad footsies though, the problem is the ability to make normal ranges variable due to the movement being cancelable. That's my issue.
You say mk11 wave dashing is different than tekken then say the reasoning mk11 wave dashing is broke because movement is cancelable making the ranges variable. Tekken is the same. Super fast mids that lead to full combos however don’t really exist in tekken. Maybe mk11 should add a universal poke d+f 1 10 frame mid poke that leads to nothing but plus frames.

Error404

Noob
IMO you're completely wrong on all your points.

1. You know how far a dash goes and how far the longest button, that a character can do out of their dash goes , so how does adding the two together give you "RNG" range? And unless you've already let somebody dash into your face , you can always neutral jump or do a backdash , which can also be canceled into blocking or jumping back.

2. Is there some tech, that OSs both low pokes and throw , while dashing forward, that I've somehow missed ? Because if not, than that's just not true.

3. Does it matter ? Even if your character doesn't get oki , they still get to advance and put themselves at a safe distance , which is probably your best choice in this game as the attacker , outside of a restand situation anyway.