What's new

I Am Gotham's Reckoning -- Bane General Discussion Thread

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Bane is slow but he has range, mix ups, armor, and a damage boost. Not to mention some of the BEST normals and mix ups.

Really need to give him more credit.
Still chugging away with him. A lot of people must give it to him because it seems more and more people are scarred to get close. Really for me that's half the fun of him as well his frustration.

I feel like I fail at starters a lot becasue of his speed. the little twig characters can just poke me out of my first attack half the time, even specials if I don't have venom. Part of that issue is I forget that I don't have to be so close to hit them because he does have great range on several of his attacks. Oh and I also like to blame on-line, but it's all i know right now. Planning on attending an off-line event in the next couple months.

I basically only attack with Venom and specials. If I don't have armor or they aren't on the ground, I don't push the action at all.

Still chugging away with him. A lot of people must give it to him because it seems more and more people are scarred to get close. Really for me that's half the fun of him as well his frustration.

I feel like I fail at starters a lot becasue of his speed. the little twig characters can just poke me out of my first attack half the time, even specials if I don't have venom. Part of that issue is I forget that I don't have to be so close to hit them because he does have great range on several of his attacks. Oh and I also like to blame on-line, but it's all i know right now. Planning on attending an off-line event in the next couple months.
Seems to me that a lot of starting pressure on a standing opponent is working your way in with d1. On hit, you have a ton of options that you can go with for mixups and pressure, or you can dial in a DP if you think they will block the d1. In many ways, it reminds me of how Sub-Zero gets in and starts pressure with d4.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Throwing this out here for you Bane fellas - I got curious fooling about in practice mode and discovered that Bane's super punishes Batman's b2,3 string if done between the second and third hit. It trades with the bomb at the end of the string, but it's inescapable for Batman and obviously a very favorable trade for Bane. Seemed useful enough to share, since it also allows Batman to create a lot of distance quickly and safely.

One caveat: do NOT do it if he has any bats deployed. Even just one bat can stuff the super.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Throwing this out here for you Bane fellas - I got curious fooling about in practice mode and discovered that Bane's super punishes Batman's b2,3 string if done between the second and third hit. It trades with the bomb at the end of the string, but it's inescapable for Batman and obviously a very favorable trade for Bane. Seemed useful enough to share, since it also allows Batman to create a lot of distance quickly and safely.

One caveat: do NOT do it if he has any bats deployed. Even just one bat can stuff the super.
Level 3 venom bane is immune to the bats iirc... :|

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Well, that's even better for you, then. I'm a Green Arrow player and I don't know these things! I figured the tip would be appreciated, though.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Well, that's even better for you, then. I'm a Green Arrow player and I don't know these things! I figured the tip would be appreciated, though.
We do, you've given me an idea for a topic I'll pursue later. As a green arrow player, make sure you do your reset timings right. We can reactionary super you and if we chug down 3 venom levels we eat through your super animation armor.

Heaton

NO MONEY DOWN
This is something I do for every new character I learn to play in any game, as it's a helpful thing to have up while learning a character, and also serves as a catalog for useful tech such as resets and punishment lists. A much more complete guide for a different game can be found here, as an example of how it's going to look once it's closer to being finished. With Bane specifically, I'm probably going to do a throw reset guide, as well as add damage values for Venom buff and debuff.

Click me to go to the Bane guide!

I do need some help with the guide, though. As far as I know, there's no standardized notation for anything that uses inputs other than 1, 2, and 3. I'm also unsure of the frames for a few of Bane's attacks, since the wiki values were off for a few of them. And lastly, I'm not sure how to notate a few combos - specifically ones involving b,b+3+M and f,f+3+M. Any help is greatly appreciated, but PM me or post it on my profile so we can keep the thread on-topic.

As far as the guide goes, though, I'd love to hear any ideas as to Bane specific guides that would go well with this format.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
This is something I do for every new character I learn to play in any game, as it's a helpful thing to have up while learning a character, and also serves as a catalog for useful tech such as resets and punishment lists. A much more complete guide for a different game can be found here, as an example of how it's going to look once it's closer to being finished. With Bane specifically, I'm probably going to do a throw reset guide, as well as add damage values for Venom buff and debuff.

Click me to go to the Bane guide!

I do need some help with the guide, though. As far as I know, there's no standardized notation for anything that uses inputs other than 1, 2, and 3. I'm also unsure of the frames for a few of Bane's attacks, since the wiki values were off for a few of them. And lastly, I'm not sure how to notate a few combos - specifically ones involving b,b+3+M and f,f+3+M. Any help is greatly appreciated, but PM me or post it on my profile so we can keep the thread on-topic.

As far as the guide goes, though, I'd love to hear any ideas as to Bane specific guides that would go well with this format.
Kinda late on the venom part of things, we are working on a couple of different guides all applying to specifics about Bane.
As in you are about a week and a half late for most of everything, but if you wanna add into the other guides your welcome to provide input.

Heaton

NO MONEY DOWN
I do these guides more to serve as a compendium for the sum of a character's tech rather than an all-encompassing master guide. It's much easier for me to look at a concise list and learn from that than it is to scour a bunch of different threads and try to find specifically what I'm looking for. As it is now, a lot of things are a bit disorganized, and this is my effort to make things easier to digest on myself, and any other aspiring Bane players.

As far as Venom goes, I was thinking of looking specifically at the time of his combos - as in, how much time is spent on a certain combo compared to a different one. If no one else has started on that, I'd be happy to chip in on that.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
I've started doing something like what you're describing already. It's basically a flowchart with general strategies and pressure strings for different situations and what they lead into. Most of the stuff is already covered in @RYX's guide, albeit at much greater length. This is fairly concise so that it serves more as a checklist for the "initiated" Bane player rather than a detailed intro guide.

It's still not complete by any means and I'll keep adding to it as we learn more.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14j0h7fsqKAFImuk1uHkATZsEqSX7CwMa9_GpUhE6t4U/edit?usp=sharing

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I do these guides more to serve as a compendium for the sum of a character's tech rather than an all-encompassing master guide. It's much easier for me to look at a concise list and learn from that than it is to scour a bunch of different threads and try to find specifically what I'm looking for. As it is now, a lot of things are a bit disorganized, and this is my effort to make things easier to digest on myself, and any other aspiring Bane players.

As far as Venom goes, I was thinking of looking specifically at the time of his combos - as in, how much time is spent on a certain combo compared to a different one. If no one else has started on that, I'd be happy to chip in on that.
The threads are stickied so its not like any Bane players can't just look at the top of the threads list. Plus its better to break it into specifics so people who have an interest in that area can get a deeper understanding than what could be given through a "general" Bane topic. I'd find a general guide to be much harder to follow if its not precise. Also RYX is working on it methinks already.

And yeah the combo length is pretty stated in the venom topic since I list some combos that go through the level 2 and 3 debuffs, and Bane isn't really combo heavy. I mean if you wanna make a topic by all means, any info is good info. Just its not going to be as fresh as it sounds lol.

I feel like I lose to any competent player with a way to stay away or range attack which is almost the entire cast. I only beat morons who don't know you can backdash, wakeup attack, etc after knockdowns. They are the same people that get hit by charge.

Back to block is a major fucking pain in the ass for me with this character. I want to walk forward and block. The only way to do it is dash and down which gets blown up by shit like Superman's overhead laser, Ares' fireball, etc.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I feel like I lose to any competent player with a way to stay away or range attack which is almost the entire cast. I only beat morons who don't know you can backdash, wakeup attack, etc after knockdowns. They are the same people that get hit by charge.
You can forward dash for every back dash. Really only a few keep away characters are a huge problem for Bane. Can you point out a few characters in particular you struggle with?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Doombawkz Does making a general movement guide for Bane and using footsies/walks and dashes count? I might do it as a character specific thing.

I struggle with every character against an opponent who is good at all. I win a lot, but it's because there are horrible players who don't know how to play against Bane at all.

I'm slightly raging right now. But yea lol

I need someone to play with offline so I can actually see what does what against what.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Doombawkz Does making a general movement guide for Bane and using footsies/walks and dashes count? I might do it as a character specific thing.
That would be awesome.

I'm going to start a video guide thread later on. Planning on recording the strategies I use with Bane. Then everyone else can add on. it might help to have it recorded, that way we aren't just talking theory.

Reactions: RYX

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Be specific. Let's start with who you do better against. Who do you feel is more manageable in their keep away game?

I'd like to actually see some videos. Everyone has written up all this stuff, but not one person has posted a match video to show anything. I would post some but I can't record my TV.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
That would be awesome.

I'm going to start a video guide thread later on. Planning on recording the strategies I use with Bane. Then everyone else can add on. it might help to have it recorded, that way we aren't just talking theory.
I actually have a capture card. I've been caught up in real life things but the worst of it is over so I can start recording stuff hopefully by this weekend. This includes guides, hopefully complete ones for Bane and Slade, but I'll post written ones and update them beforehand.

I am happy with my performance against:

Nightwing
Flash
Grundy
Doomsday
Green Lantern
Shazam
Aquaman
Catwoman
Harley

That's about it.

I've never played Lex and I've only fought Cyborg twice.

I need to see some people playing from neutral. Here is how I lose: I get pressure and knock them down. I hit an attack on the knockdown (b23, cmd grab, double punch, etc). I proceed to get blown up by wakeup attack. I try to block next time and end up at neutral and get blown up.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
I actually have a capture card. I've been caught up in real life things but the worst of it is over so I can start recording stuff hopefully by this weekend. This includes guides, hopefully complete ones for Bane and Slade, but I'll post written ones and update them beforehand.
Sounds good. I've been swamped with school lately, so I haven't had the chance to really put anything new in for Bane. I'll post mine in here later tonight. I'm really looking forward to seeing yours.

And big_aug , if you're happy with your play against those characters, you're going to be alright. Green Lantern gives me fits.

Someone should just record themselves playing. Screw the guides. Just get some footage up there. I might be doing it all wrong and I have no idea lol

And when I say I'm happy with my performance, I mean that I lose because of things in my control. I know what I could have done to win. That's not to say I lose to other characters for things outside of my control. I'm saying that I have no idea how I could win, so it doesn't feel like I have control.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I won't post anything huge like a 'complete' guide just yet. I need to make sure I'm absolutely sure I've examined the character in and out.

Let us question the way we play the Bat Breaker. What if I propose that we us Venom not to create momentum but supplement it? What if the path to victory does not solely rely on steamrolling mindlessly but instead compliment this vicious rush game with an even bigger one of smart placement and whiff punishing?

Let us evaluate other characters and find holes to which we may exploit.