What's new

I Am Gotham's Reckoning -- Bane General Discussion Thread

RYX

BIG PUSHER
His normals are god awful. I have no fighting game experience really, and I can just tell he has to be the worst of all time. I literally feel like I can't ever use a normal attack. I actually pretty much never do. I basically have Venom up and use specials the entire time or I don't push the action.
His normals are good for what they're worth. More range than most so he's a decent whiff punisher. I think his lows need to be a tad faster or have a little more range but since b.11 on block leads to a free command grab that you can't escape unless you're Superman, I can't complain.

His f.2+down has the same long reach as his d.1 at the same frame(11 frames, and it may have a little more as well) and it links into double-punch/command grab/AA grab even at the furthest possible range, so it creates a very solid 50/50 scenario as well as d.1 leading into Double Punch and being a tick throw for command grab.

Bane is one of the characters I feel is going to evolve when the meta evolves. He's on the same boat as Flash and Hawkgirl right now, waiting to be discovered.

His normals are good for what they're worth. More range than most so he's a decent whiff punisher. I think his lows need to be a tad faster or have a little more range but since b.11 on block leads to a free command grab that you can't escape unless you're Superman, I can't complain.

His f.2+down has the same long reach as his d.1 at the same frame(11 frames, and it may have a little more as well) and it links into double-punch/command grab/AA grab even at the furthest possible range, so it creates a very solid 50/50 scenario as well as d.1 leading into Double Punch and being a tick throw for command grab.

Bane is one of the characters I feel is going to evolve when the meta evolves. He's on the same boat as Flash and Hawkgirl right now, waiting to be discovered.
I think my problem is I don't use normal attacks at all basically. I totally rely on specials and armor. Can you give me an example of when you would use a normal attack (other than after a knockdown with a b23 type of thing, a jump in, or a d1)?

Maybe I should force myself to not use specials at all for a few games just to force myself to get in there and use some normal attacks.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I think my problem is I don't use normal attacks at all basically. I totally rely on specials and armor. Can you give me an example of when you would use a normal attack (other than after a knockdown with a b23 type of thing, a jump in, or a d1)?
I use f.2.down/d.1/standing 2 coming in with a dash due to their reach, generally right outside their poking range since Bane's overhead and d.1 out-reach most of the cast. I'd say Nightwing and Aquaman are the only characters who match/out-reach him when it comes to normals, but Bane has armor to compensate.

1 is also good for catching forward moving people, because they can't dash and crouch immediately, so if they block, you get a free c.grab they can't escape. 2 is probably better because it hits mid, so you don't have to worry about people crouching and punishing.

For whiff punishes, I'd say b.2 or b.1, depending what you want. If you can punish a move with ease, do b.23 as it will give you a full combo and free carry. If you have trouble or the move isn't -18 or more, then do b.11 as you get some chip into a tick throw. You can hit confirm b.11 into b.112~Double Punch or block confirm to b.11~Command Grab. B.21 is also a decent punisher as it's a low/overhead mix-up that leaves you +4 and pushes them back on block and hit, and it's a hard knockdown so you can dash and do whatever.

I'll be experimenting with his knockdown game some more. I started ending strings with 113/123 for the knockdown as it seems you can do more off of it.

Now that's confidence!
Yea, I can only speak from online scrub experience lol

I'd like to play some of you guys who are good with other characters to get some consistent practice against people who actually know what they're doing. I don't and neither do most of the people online.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
It kind of sucks that his fastest move is 11 frames, and that he's so slow in general.
His standing 1 is 9 frames.

His fastest overhead/low mix-up is 11 frames each, which LBSH is pretty good. 17-frame lows are dumb though.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Yea, I can only speak from online scrub experience lol

I'd like to play some of you guys who are good with other characters to get some consistent practice against people who actually know what they're doing. I don't and neither do most of the people online.
I would too, but then again I'm in the same boat you are. Out of that list i've had the most trouble against Aquamand & Green Lantern hands down.

Error

DF2+R2
His standing 1 is 9 frames.

His fastest overhead/low mix-up is 11 frames each, which LBSH is pretty good. 17-frame lows are dumb though.
I thought it was 11 too lol, does it mid? Because no one get's hit by high jabs

Error

DF2+R2
How does he butter his toast?

Does he have an unlimited supply of knives to stab the ground or does he pose, then take the knife and leave?
One of his venom tubes actually squirts butter.

I also dislike how none of his mb moves allow him to extend his combos, and both venom uppercut and double punch mb could have easily added bounces.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
One of his venom tubes actually squirts butter.

I also dislike how none of his mb moves allow him to extend his combos, and both venom uppercut and double punch mb could have easily added bounces.
So butter is just injected into his body?

NRS likes to take cool characters and make you hate them. I hope those are things they could change easily though.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I'm going to keep playing the character until this supposed patch that everyone is talking about drops. Maybe they will do something to make him worthwhile to keep as a main, but right now, he has too many drawbacks that are keeping him from even being mid tier at best.
Aside from literally shutting down I think its some 65% of the cast to the point where they can never wake-up after even one knockdown, having one of the best traps in d.1 double punch and b.1 double punch, being meter independent, being able to clash away and get 300% damage output for 6 seconds, having an unblockable quick super that beats out most other supers if you level 3 juice box it, shutting down some of the most major threats like GA, Raven, Killer Frost... Having damage combos equal out to other character super combos using only level 2 venom and one meter, having instant death interactable combos, double punch having a hitbox that can tag the batslide which is the lowest actual attack and clipping people out of the air, his venom uppercut reaching the top of the stage ceiling and taking people like hawkgirl with it, level 3 being both projectile and armor immune on his supers and having full combo damage off of just one or two attacks... His standing 2 nullifying a lot of cross-up attempts because of its crazy reach, having grab resets that peg an extra unscaled command grab for 20% or more onto the end of combos, his level 3 venom super doing anywhere from 54% unscaled to 71% in a combo off of most any good read, his body-splash letting him cross-up people from the air, great reach on his normal attacks, being able to actually wake-up against most opponents which is something a lot of character lack right now...

That's just the tip of the iceberg. He also has some pretty solid meter gain and since he doesn't have as much use for it, he gains the benefit for snagging that staple damage or healing while he burns off the level 3 venom cooldown on the 2nd bar.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Doombawkz Have you discovered the death combos too?

I haven't been able to find time to hook up my card, but I want it in video so it looks nice ;_;

Error

DF2+R2
Aside from literally shutting down I think its some 65% of the cast to the point where they can never wake-up after even one knockdown, having one of the best traps in d.1 double punch and b.1 double punch, being meter independent, being able to clash away and get 300% damage output for 6 seconds, having an unblockable quick super that beats out most other supers if you level 3 juice box it, shutting down some of the most major threats like GA, Raven, Killer Frost... Having damage combos equal out to other character super combos using only level 2 venom and one meter, having instant death interactable combos, double punch having a hitbox that can tag the batslide which is the lowest actual attack and clipping people out of the air, his venom uppercut reaching the top of the stage ceiling and taking people like hawkgirl with it, level 3 being both projectile and armor immune on his supers and having full combo damage off of just one or two attacks... His standing 2 nullifying a lot of cross-up attempts because of its crazy reach, having grab resets that peg an extra unscaled command grab for 20% or more onto the end of combos, his level 3 venom super doing anywhere from 54% unscaled to 71% in a combo off of most any good read, his body-splash letting him cross-up people from the air, great reach on his normal attacks, being able to actually wake-up against most opponents which is something a lot of character lack right now...

That's just the tip of the iceberg. He also has some pretty solid meter gain and since he doesn't have as much use for it, he gains the benefit for snagging that staple damage or healing while he burns off the level 3 venom cooldown on the 2nd bar.
Holy up-playing batman

*150% damage output

What is this grab reset? I actually haven't messed with Bane in a while

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Holy up-playing batman

*150% damage output

What is this grab reset? I actually haven't messed with Bane in a while
I'm not up-playing. I'm speaking the truth.

300% general effectiveness. You gain 150% damage over the course of 6 seconds, meaning you gain more than just that staple 150% in the long run. Damage =/= Damage output, after all. Since scaling isn't precisely linear with venom, level 3 actually confers more effectiveness than one might believe. Add in the projectile immunity, armor breaking, and the armor it gives, its believable that 300% overall output is the real token.

Bane has stuff like EX venom uppercut in the corner, or b.21 dash midscreen which can usually net you a grab reset on the opponent before they can react to jump away.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Doombawkz Have you discovered the death combos too?

I haven't been able to find time to hook up my card, but I want it in video so it looks nice ;_;
If you mean the resets, then yes. Remember that super long combo at the end of my level 3 venom discussion? The 82% reset?
Replace that command grab with a nearby interactable and you get a kill off of it. Best example would be something like the flying car on Metro if you can manage it. Takes some precision but you have the time to get it.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
If you mean the resets, then yes. Remember that super long combo at the end of my level 3 venom discussion? The 82% reset?
Replace that command grab with a nearby interactable and you get a kill off of it. Best example would be something like the flying car on Metro if you can manage it. Takes some precision but you have the time to get it.
Lol no I don't remember this but I have found death combos that are guaranteed on -
Wayne Manor (Both stages)
Asylum(Both)
Bat cave (Lagoon)
Hall of Justice(Outside)
Metropolis
Ferris Aircraft
Themyscira(Temple)
Stryker's Island(Both stages)

Working on finding a few more as well.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Lol no I don't remember this but I have found death combos that are guaranteed on -
Wayne Manor (Both stages)
Asylum(Both)
Bat cave (Lagoon)
Hall of Justice(Outside)
Metropolis
Ferris Aircraft
Themyscira(Temple)
Stryker's Island(Both stages)

Working on finding a few more as well.
Its body splash b.23 1 123 venom upper EX into the flying car. Adding in the level 3 venom buff to it, you get the kill.

Reactions: RYX