What's new

I Am Gotham's Reckoning -- Bane General Discussion Thread

Crimson Cobra

The Ultimate Shadow
the great thing about bane is that it doesn't take lots of meter to do massive damage with him...it doesn't take any meter at all!
just one level of venom will do the job and when it's time to finish things and you got a decent life lead

Hit them with The Level 3 Venom Super....everyone else struggles to come out with decent combos that do good amounts of damage but bane just says "Screw Combos! I do what i want!"

A Level 3 Venom Super will practically kill someone if they are past the first life bar it's not something you wanna get hit by....and I'm not saying it's perfect(due to the cooldown)but when you need to finish the match and things are getting tense sometimes it's worth the risk to Go X3 Venom and hit the backbreaker

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
the great thing about bane is that it doesn't take lots of meter to do massive damage with him...it doesn't take any meter at all!
just one level of venom will do the job and when it's time to finish things and you got a decent life lead

Hit them with The Level 3 Venom Super....everyone else struggles to come out with decent combos that do good amounts of damage but bane just says "Screw Combos! I do what i want!"

A Level 3 Venom Super will practically kill someone if they are past the first life bar it's not something you wanna get hit by....and I'm not saying it's perfect(due to the cooldown)but when you need to finish the match and things are getting tense sometimes it's worth the risk to Go X3 Venom and hit the backbreaker
Yes it will, but you also take a huge risk. After a couple weeks pretty much everyone knows how to avoid the various supers if you try to use it as a stand alone attack. Really sucks to burn all your meter & venom for nothing. I never use his unless i'm finishing a combo with it, or I hit them with a raging charge it will usually catch them on wake up much to thier surprise.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Yes it will, but you also take a huge risk. After a couple weeks pretty much everyone knows how to avoid the various supers if you try to use it as a stand alone attack. Really sucks to burn all your meter & venom for nothing. I never use his unless i'm finishing a combo with it, or I hit them with a raging charge it will usually catch them on wake up much to thier surprise.
Use it in frame gaps or when they try doing an unsafe move.

How to you guys feel about his AA grab? It really seems like it doesn't reach far enough to stop jump ins but I'm not sure on the priority. The different throws needs to grant more advantage. I don't know why they would limit the most important aspect of his game -- oki. Same issue I have with his Charge, can't reach far enough for your lows to hit.

KingKuma

Noob

How to you guys feel about his AA grab? It really seems like it doesn't reach far enough to stop jump ins but I'm not sure on the priority. The different throws needs to grant more advantage. I don't know why they would limit the most important aspect of his game -- oki. Same issue I have with his Charge, can't reach far enough for your lows to hit.
It's no Grundy AA grab that's for sure XD

Honestly I haven't had to much success with it. I'm having some serious trouble finding good AA's with Bane. Also, can someone explain to me how Bane's AA grab works? What determines which one you get?

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters

Yeah it's kinda strage sometimes. It seems that it reaches up, but not in front of him. Seems to stop jump ins that are at about 45 degree angles and above, whiffs for me below that if they're a bit short landing more in front of you. I'd like to know the priority on this as well, it's been about 50/50 for me if I catch them or take a hit. Also would like to know it's priority against air specials...Haven't noticed but does venom armor it? I know it has no MB which is a bit of a bummer because it could have great potential if MB gave it a bounce or even a double slam.

big_aug

Kombatant
I'd like to see the meter burn version of his charge changed. Make the MB version unable to be blocked or parried instead of the elbow drop. I've noticed Bane doesn't have a single move that can be meter burned before actually hitting the opponent. I think this would help him to get in and also give him something else to spend meter on. The charge could still be jumped and you could meter burn it at any time prior to hitting the opponent.

nicomatc

victory has defeated uuuu...
All he needs is AAs dat actually wrk, free armor & cancelable charge, ie kabal, then he'll at least have some kind of mix up game, his vortex is pretty good

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
Guys give me some hope, I'm starting to see no point in playing Bane. He seems like the worst risk vs. reward character of them all and really only shines when you get them in the corner on knockdown. I honestly think, even with the inevitable update, Bane will still be one of the bottom tier characters based on the design/moves they chose. I don't see why they always have to make Bane become DC's Hulk basically. He was never that big, at biggest he looks like a normal man on steroids. lol I do like how they incorporated his intelligence into the character cause to win with Bane, you gotta be one smart player. I say this stuff coming from a competitive fighter background and all around DC fanboy lol /end rant. I just really wanna succeed with Bane though.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Guys give me some hope, I'm starting to see no point in playing Bane. He seems like the worst risk vs. reward character of them all and really only shines when you get them in the corner on knockdown. I honestly think, even with the inevitable update, Bane will still be one of the bottom tier characters based on the design/moves they chose. I don't see why they always have to make Bane become DC's Hulk basically. He was never that big, at biggest he looks like a normal man on steroids. lol I do like how they incorporated his intelligence into the character cause to win with Bane, you gotta be one smart player. I say this stuff coming from a competitive fighter background and all around DC fanboy lol /end rant. I just really wanna succeed with Bane though.
Hope the people leading the charge actually have a background in grapplers. That's your best plan. With the exception of Skullgirls and BlazBlue, grapplers are usually at the bottom of patch/design priority.

big_aug

Kombatant
There are obviously going to be some characters against which you don't want to use Bane. Batman is the perfect example. I think he is really good against a lot of characters though.

Even I win quite a bit and I have zero fighting game background. I've played some people who seem pretty good and I still take a few wins off of them. I said it before, I can't imagine Bane in the hands of a really good player. I can only play online though, so take it for what it's worth. I try to play people with really good records, but we all know records are bullshit with the quitting bug.

I'm still trying to figure out who to pick for a second character. I'm so used to Bane and constantly having armor. I might try Nightwing. Seems similar to Bane's style.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Hope the people leading the charge actually have a background in grapplers. That's your best plan. With the exception of Skullgirls and BlazBlue, grapplers are usually at the bottom of patch/design priority.
First game they put actual grapplers in, so unless they REALLY want to make up for Sheeva, we're fucked.

Unless we're loud enough.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Do you guys play Bane with negative edge on or off? How about inputs? MK or alternate?
Off, with MK inputs. I find it easier to cancel into his command grab that way.

It might just be me or my controller but I get Venom Uppercut instead of Double Punch a lot.

Alcarion

Gym rat
I'm sorta glad it's not just me, from the get go i felt that Bane got the short end of the stick in Injustice he just doesn't have the right tools he feels awfully limited. And worst of all that Venom mechanic is sooooo risky it's not even funny.

He needs to get buffed straight up and even with buffs i'm not sure if he'll end up actually being good.

Seems like he's the Baraka/Sheeva of this game just terrible.

Cibernetico

Kombatant
If you ask me, they need to give him the ability to cancel his dash attack. Also, I think we can do without that stupid flexing animation when you don't mete burn it. That kills too much momentum.

also, they should seriously consider either reducing the venom after effect cooldown or just get rid of the after effects in general. The way he is right now, it's hard as hell getting in as it is. And maybe I'm the only one, but I hardly find myself using Venom past level 2. Unless I know I'm going to potential finish the match with a throw which I would then venom level 3 it really quick.

Any thoughts?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I'm sorta glad it's not just me, from the get go i felt that Bane got the short end of the stick in Injustice he just doesn't have the right tools he feels awfully limited. And worst of all that Venom mechanic is sooooo risky it's not even funny.

He needs to get buffed straight up and even with buffs i'm not sure if he'll end up actually being good.

Seems like he's the Baraka/Sheeva of this game just terrible.
Venom isn't really built on a risk-reward mechanic. You don't need it to get in on most of the cast as dash and block does it for you. The risk is entirely fair considering he has set-ups where he can straight-up kill you(if you're at FULL health) in the right situation and do heavy damage anywhere else, giving him probably one of the best comeback factors in the game when used properly. Lack of representation is what's going to cause him to be slept on as it's clear he requires much better use of fundamentals than other characters due to how slow he is. He's got solid meter-building, pressure, and an amazing corner game, and he's not at all handicapped midscreen, despite the debuffs after level 3 venom being a tad excessive, level 1 is still practically risk free with minimizing these effects.

You need to be using Venom to maintain pressure and stop counters with the armor. It's pay to play, but he does need a few buffs. He's already solid though, just ignored by the community. Some top player is going to stumble on him months from now, post everything us day 1 players already posted, and it's going to be front-paged as groundbreaking tech. /TYM

RYX

BIG PUSHER
If you ask me, they need to give him the ability to cancel his dash attack. Also, I think we can do without that stupid flexing animation when you don't mete burn it. That kills too much momentum.

also, they should seriously consider either reducing the venom after effect cooldown or just get rid of the after effects in general. The way he is right now, it's hard as hell getting in as it is. And maybe I'm the only one, but I hardly find myself using Venom past level 2. Unless I know I'm going to potential finish the match with a throw which I would then venom level 3 it really quick.

Any thoughts?
First thing - I agree, entirely. I don't think it should be 32 frames either; with a dash cancel and more advantage(getting rid of the flex), I think 21 frames is fair enough.

The after effects are understandable but past level 2 they feel too severe. Level 3's needs to be toned down or it could stand to last a little longer. Getting rid of the after effects, as much as I would like this, would make him incredibly unfair if he has no consequence to getting absurd damage on top of becoming a tank with the armor. I think level 1 should have no drawback, 2 has moderate, and 3 has a little bit more to gamble on. I think that'd be reasonable.

F.2 needs to be removed and replaced with his overhead, or made faster/safer. Worst inputs for a normal I've encountered; it's incredibly frustrating to be punished for free because I got the wrong normal.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Guys, I don't understand the negativity toward Bane. I haven't seen anything to suggest he's a bad character. And as far as the "tier" stuff goes, who really cares? I personally don't care if Bane ends up being classified as the lowest "tier" possible. I think it's all crap. If you can take him as a character and win, I don't see how anyone can argue that he isn't a good character. The key is playing to his strengths. It's as simple as that. So, let's stop looking down on him and worry about improving his play.

big_aug

Kombatant
First thing - I agree, entirely. I don't think it should be 32 frames either; with a dash cancel and more advantage(getting rid of the flex), I think 21 frames is fair enough.

The after effects are understandable but past level 2 they feel too severe. Level 3's needs to be toned down or it could stand to last a little longer. Getting rid of the after effects, as much as I would like this, would make him incredibly unfair if he has no consequence to getting absurd damage on top of becoming a tank with the armor. I think level 1 should have no drawback, 2 has moderate, and 3 has a little bit more to gamble on. I think that'd be reasonable.

F.2 needs to be removed and replaced with his overhead, or made faster/safer. Worst inputs for a normal I've encountered; it's incredibly frustrating to be punished for free because I got the wrong normal.
His normals are god awful. I have no fighting game experience really, and I can just tell he has to be the worst of all time. I literally feel like I can't ever use a normal attack. I actually pretty much never do. I basically have Venom up and use specials the entire time or I don't push the action.

F2 is definitely the WOAT.

I could see level 3's debuff being toned down. Either reduce the effects or the duration of the effects.

Cibernetico

Kombatant
I'm going to keep playing the character until this supposed patch that everyone is talking about drops. Maybe they will do something to make him worthwhile to keep as a main, but right now, he has too many drawbacks that are keeping him from even being mid tier at best.