What's new

How to handle losing

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
ALSO remember. Online is online. It isn't perfect. I realized a long time ago I get far FAR less annoyed offline because I know why I lost. Example is the other day I played a Kung Lao. He was doing stuff that was frame trapping me on hit or block and it was starting to get a bit annoying. Beyond that he just jumped around a lot. All stuff I could "see" but got wrecked for trying to react to. So at one point I reminded myself it's online and a lot of this shouldn't work so the last two matches I played this guy I beat him by basically pressing buttons like he was. Then after that I took what he was doing into the lab to verify. NONE of the stuff he was doing would have worked offline at all. So my frustration was simply based in "this doesn't make sense" which basically shouldn't exist. Gotta remember online isn't offline at all if that's why you still get mad.

Example of some stuff that was getting under my skin a little before I sat back and reminded myself about the above, dude was doing d1 into d3 on block but it would always interrupt my own d1 check. He'd do stuff like 212124 which is -7 into a d1 or d3 which also beat out my own d1 or 3. He was also blocking my punishes on stuff like his f+214 which is -13. He'd teleport and I couldn't AA jab him a bunch of times.

So just that's just one thing on "how to deal with losses" if you're practicing online at all just remember that sometimes your irritation is based on something that really doesn't exist.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I'm on a temporary hiatus from the game, but I think of one of Zarya's quotes from Overwatch when it comes to salty players: "It's only a game. Why do you have to be mad?"

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
And this is why youre the most improved player from our little group. Gonna be mopping me and Reed soon.
She definitely knows what she's doing with Cassie. Hell, I pretty much learned how to play the character due to a combination of watching her matches/videos and from watching Gross at Combo Breaker.

I'm hoping I can be a part of that conversation when it comes to most-improved players. Just need to make my mark, and no better time than tomorrow night.

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
Nobody's ever actually done it to me. I've gotten quite a few GGs and was once surprised to find out that the guy I'd been playing against was currently having sex with my mother (small world, eh?)..

If it ever did happen, though, my reaction would probably be "fuck you, dude". Whether that would line up with the guy's motivations or not, I don't know. I'd just see it as really condescending, though.
That sounds more like a personal dillema than a universal one :p everyone lives in a different reality I guess. Can't change that.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
It’s like this, I’m a very nice guy outside of the game. I’m somebody who will lab and teach and learn with an opponent. I’m 31 on July 1st and I’ve always been a good sport. I was born in Nebraska during the 90s when our football team was the most dominant force in college sports. Husker football is religious and we were very much taught to be good sports in school. I’m a good dude.

That being said in the fight itself I will do everything I can to put my opponent on tilt, heavy zoning, repeated throwing, pokes for days, etc. I will do everything I can think of to win the fight short of cheating.

What I don’t understand is sore losers, poor winners, and quitters. I’ve had people try to fight me irl over the game before. I don’t get it.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Yesterday was rough. I haven’t gotten beaten that badly other than playing Juggs since I’ve started this game... all against Kabal too. (who I strongly believe is the best all around character in the game now) Kinda makes me wonder how I would do against D’Vorah or Skarlett because I also have little to no MU experience against them either. Lol

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
And this is why youre the most improved player from our little group. Gonna be mopping me and Reed soon.
Whoa there chief... let's not get too carried away! :p

JK!

She's already stopping my staggers and avoiding the overhead bonk kb and our matches are a lot closer than they used to be. Definitely getting better. That also goes for everyone in our hills as well.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Whoa there chief... let's not get too carried away! :p

JK!

She's already stopping my staggers and avoiding the overhead bonk kb and our matches are a lot closer than they used to be. Definitely getting better. That also goes for everyone in our hills as well.
Ay, we both lost a game to her the other night.. Speaking of, I FINALLY beat your Jax. Dvorah is pretty much my main now.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
It’s like this, I’m a very nice guy outside of the game. I’m somebody who will lab and teach and learn with an opponent. I’m 31 on July 1st and I’ve always been a good sport. I was born in Nebraska during the 90s when our football team was the most dominant force in college sports. Husker football is religious and we were very much taught to be good sports in school. I’m a good dude.

That being said in the fight itself I will do everything I can to put my opponent on tilt, heavy zoning, repeated throwing, pokes for days, etc. I will do everything I can think of to win the fight short of cheating.

What I don’t understand is sore losers, poor winners, and quitters. I’ve had people try to fight me irl over the game before. I don’t get it.
Theyre actually mad at themselves and havent learned to cope healthily. We all mature at different speeds.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
If someone outplays me, I respect it.
If someone steals a win with cheap tactics, I blame myself for not being good enough to prevent it.
If I lose because of the connection like in the last few days, I get pissed off to no end.

Today I lost at least 6 or 7 series just because I couldn't react to unsafe stuff I've seen coming a mile away, combo dropped because of lag or the game ignoring my wake ups.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I vote for Laura Bailey to re-record her lines.
It was brought up in another thread (think it was Dreamcatcher that mentioned it), where they should replace her voice with Linda Hamilton for the Terminator tie-in, or my personal choice of Sigourney Weaver. So either way, we'd get one of the original badass women.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
How we respond to winning or losing in a fighting game is a microcosm of how we are likely to respond to success or failure in our lives more broadly. When I began playing MK11, I was getting much saltier at losses than I generally have in the past, perhaps because I've had less time to play this game yet continue to set the same expectations of myself in terms of being a decent FG player. But I noticed that this was tied to how I'd react to success or failure in a more general sense. You may feel content in life until something really tests you. It is how we react to those tests, those significant challenges, that defines us.

at the height of super sf4, ive met a consistent top 8r and played a few matches online. out of curiosity, I checked his online records and saw....0 ranked games played and a 1000+ casual games record.

I think he got it right in playing in a stress free environment. maybe we should learn from his example. :)

Last edited:

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I have nothing fancy to say. Nothing to come across enlightened etc. For me it's pretty simple...I'm not making money from this game so I don't really give a damn. I really just try to play for fun and learn with each match what I can do differently to improve my chances. If I lose, oh well, onto the next.

Don't get me wrong. I am flawed like everyone else. If I'm playing and there is random lag in the middle of a combo or me trying to anti air and lose because of it I might say "bullshit" or something lol. I definitely do not fixate on my losses and get violently angry or w/e.

Ultimately, it means nothing. Have fun.