What's new

How to handle losing

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
I’ve seen a few posts like this on here when I was a lurker.

But I just want to add my 2 cents.

I’m 28 now and was 20 when mk9 came out. Was pretty hot headed back then and never handled losing particularly well back then. If someone tea bagged me or sent me hate mail I’d often throw controllers into walls.

With age does come a bit of maturity and I can’t remember the Last time I tossed a controller. But if I hear someone raging I try to resist the urge to make it worse on them, and just say good games or the like based on personal experience.

I’ve played patient impulse in injustice 2 and was salty after a really close set and he was the nicest dude about it and calmed me down. He didn’t have to do that. He could’ve made me feel worse.

I just think it’s important To recognize that tensions are high in fighting games and you never know what someone’s state of mind is. Might go along way to just reach out and give some one pointers instead of rubbing it in.

Was it me? I have a habit of doing this and it's genuinely me just trying to help when I do it.
Nobody's ever actually done it to me. I've gotten quite a few GGs and was once surprised to find out that the guy I'd been playing against was currently having sex with my mother (small world, eh?)..

If it ever did happen, though, my reaction would probably be "fuck you, dude". Whether that would line up with the guy's motivations or not, I don't know. I'd just see it as really condescending, though.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nobody's ever actually done it to me. I've gotten quite a few GGs and was once surprised to find out that the guy I'd been playing against was currently having sex with my mother (small world, eh?)..

If it ever did happen, though, my reaction would probably be "fuck you, dude". Whether that would line up with the guy's motivations or not, I don't know. I'd just see it as really condescending, though.
Wh...what?

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder

Ok. What?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I’ve seen a few posts like this on here when I was a lurker.

But I just want to add my 2 cents.

I’m 28 now and was 20 when mk9 came out. Was pretty hot headed back then and never handled losing particularly well back then. If someone tea bagged me or sent me hate mail I’d often throw controllers into walls.

With age does come a bit of maturity and I can’t remember the Last time I tossed a controller. But if I hear someone raging I try to resist the urge to make it worse on them, and just say good games or the like based on personal experience.

I’ve played patient impulse in injustice 2 and was salty after a really close set and he was the nicest dude about it and calmed me down. He didn’t have to do that. He could’ve made me feel worse.

I just think it’s important To recognize that tensions are high in fighting games and you never know what someone’s state of mind is. Might go along way to just reach out and give some one pointers instead of rubbing it in.
Well done, that's some improvement that I have real life friends struggle with in other games.

That's 40-year-olds.

It does take a good bit of growth to say to yourself "Hey, it's just a game. I didn't lose money, I'm not losing anything important just a match in a game. Why get angry over this?"

I always laugh at myself when I fuck up. I see high level players like THTB act the same way, I think it's a good way to deal with it.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
The connections lately have been making me rage similar to how I was back when I was a teenager. It is so unbelievably frustrating when the netcode was just fine before the patch. And once again zero transparency from NRS.

Also, on losing in particular, maybe for those that are interested, you should check out this article I made that discusses this topic: https://testyourmight.com/threads/tips-on-becoming-a-better-player-part-1-how-losing-helps-you-get-better.3674/
I just tell myself it's temporary and if it's unplayable, I just alt tab and let the opponent win. No point getting angry over something out of your control.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i can only handle losing so much before i lose my damn mind, pretty much has always been a thing for me as long as i can remember, just now a days it takes a bit more to get me to that point.

i just do whatever works, if that means leaving if i feel like im going to snap, then i just do that then. better than breaking something or snapping your game in two :rolleyes:

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
The connections lately have been making me rage similar to how I was back when I was a teenager. It is so unbelievably frustrating when the netcode was just fine before the patch. And once again zero transparency from NRS.

Also, on losing in particular, maybe for those that are interested, you should check out this article I made that discusses this topic: https://testyourmight.com/threads/tips-on-becoming-a-better-player-part-1-how-losing-helps-you-get-better.3674/
I just lost a match on sea of blood. I don't know what in sweet jesus was going on, but large polygonal triangles were swarming around the screen. What exactly did they do?

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Only time I ever rage is when a missed input costs me a game. If you outplayed me, you outplayed me and gg to you. But if b2 comes out Lift for example, or lag spikes during combos make me drop it, or just my DS4 being a POS DS4, it makes me angry. :mad:

I still send out messages to people who lose to me over something super obvious they should/shouldn’t be doing and give them pointers. Never had a reply that wasn’t positive.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I go into koth and go on a bodying spree over scrubs to clear the salt. Just yesterday I told a guy to fuck off after he came back after losing 2 games with Erron and had the nerve to teabag me the last finish him. He sent me a polite GGs after.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
I go into koth and go on a bodying spree over scrubs to clear the salt. Just yesterday I told a guy to fuck off after he came back after losing 2 games with Erron and had the nerve to teabag me the last finish him. He sent me a polite GGs after.
Yeah I was playing baraka yesterday against a really good Erron. Won the first game. Lost the next 2. It's like every time he got a knockdown the game was over. Switched to kabal and one. Then he switch to scorpion and Kabal really can't punish death spin. It was full game of that. Just sat there and tea bagged me. If he was there live in person, there's a strong possibility I would have gone to jail for how I would have reacted. Just have to do those breathing exercises.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I've noticed if you're more humble and friendly, people tend to not know how to react if they're all about ego with the "haha I beat you" attitude, this one dude was so high and mighty few weeks back cause he beat me in a close match yet I told him, yes when the game first came out and we played once match. Care to play more? ;) he didn't respond lol. Then you have the flat out hatemail, teabagging idiots who need to get a life and of course the GG's people. But yeah I agree with @Dreamcatcher I prefer to play my friends or those from the site here if I can. Randoms are like Forrest Gump chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
You should always handle losing as an experience to learn. Too many people get "angry" at losing because they're trying so hard to win. Try to get better more than trying to win, and the winning will come naturally.

Also-

was once surprised to find out that the guy I'd been playing against was currently having sex with my mother (small world, eh?)..
WTF LOL :eek:

Sazbak

Noob
I think losing affects you stronger if your investment in the game is unhealthy compared to other stuff in your life. Since MK11 came out I spent too much time playing the game and neglected other activities so every time I played someone in ranked or tourney my mindset was like
"I HAVE TO win after putting a lot of hours in this game even at times when I didn't want to."
A week ago I started treating MK more as a fun hobby and also stopped neglecting my other hobbies and I actually performed better during a live tourney.
I was no longer nervous, and didn't feel the need to prove anything to myself and others.
Try to enjoy the game because it IS a game for most of us and not a tool for self-validation.