What's new

How to handle losing

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
You should always handle losing as an experience to learn. Too many people get "angry" at losing because they're trying so hard to win. Try to get better more than trying to win, and the winning will come naturally.

Also-

WTF LOL :eek:
Pretty sure he means the guy was trash talking about his mother... I hope.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Only time I ever rage is when a missed input costs me a game. If you outplayed me, you outplayed me and gg to you. But if b2 comes out Lift for example, or lag spikes during combos make me drop it, or just my DS4 being a POS DS4, it makes me angry. :mad:

I still send out messages to people who lose to me over something super obvious they should/shouldn’t be doing and give them pointers. Never had a reply that wasn’t positive.
This exactly. Its when online happens and an input goes missing i get a bit mad. I love getting out played cause its an opportunity to lab and learn

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
20 years ago I smashed controller into walls, broke Discs, cursed like the devil himself

Gave me nothing and I didn´t improve by that either so I changed it and now I just laugh and try to see what I did wrong (still takes a lot of power to stay calm in those salty situations and to remember "it´s just a game")

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I think it boils down to how you perceive yourself and how you want to get good. I think the ego is where it usually goes wrong. People wanna be good compared to others - which makes the quest of leveling up depend on how many matches you win over said player rather than being generally better at the game (as in improving fundamentals). The pro players know about the difference between long casual sets and the actual competitive environment. Thats why you can see Rewind and Sonic going at it where the set favors, quite heavily Sonic Fox - but guess who won Evo for Injustice 2. When players sit down, they welcome the chance to gain experience against good players. Even the ones that stream sit there like "Bro that was sick", "Okay that was actually smart".

The salty players will see the one defeating them as the one halting their progress "to be the best" as they ruin the win/loss statistics whereas the respectful player sees the potential for growth in meeting a superior players - it closes the gap.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I dont care if I get absolutely mopped as long as they end the games quickly but aint no nobody got time for Erron doing teabags and fatals and idc how good they are

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
you have to treat this, like you deal when you face a boss fight in a hard game, like, for example, Dark Souls: you try, lose, and try, lose, and keep trying again, until you defeat it, and so, you learned from you previous attempts and can overcome the difficult .... in this scenario , don't you had to lose first , to win next ? I think fighting games matches ought be treated same way : you lose, but , you try to win, and you will, soon or later, hehe :D

personally, I enjoy much more playing good and excellent players, even the ones much much better than me .... I was playing MK11 with some random dude in casuals, and went 12-0 against him , and was boring, no fun, no challenge at all .... I enjoyed much more another tough match that I barely won 5-4 , because the dude gave me hard time and fought like a lion, so, this is what make you learn in this game : take your loses as as boss, and face better fighters, to give you incentive to improve ;)

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
During the MK9 days my hands and forearms were full of bite marks constantly because I just internalize my anger and take it out on myself.
Nowadays I'm a lot more chill. I haven't raged even once in MK11 I think. Stopping taking myself so seriously helped a lot.
EDIT: I was 15 back then so there's that.
EDIT 2: oh, and nowadays when I get mad I tend to be mad about the game in general (like shitty online for example) rather than my opponents, so I guess that's sort of a good thing too.

Last edited:

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Playing on a hidey helps if I'm having a bad day. I too used to be a Kyle and destroy my controllers. I literally destroyed a ps3 pad in my hands after fighting MK9 Sonya.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I used to break controllers and punch walls (but only end up hurting my hand in the process). Not accepting loses comes from immaturity, because as children we don't know how to deal with anger and loss so we lash out. Dealing with this stuff needs to be learned and usually, that comes with introspection, self-awareness, and thus, maturity.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
If I was salty after a loss and the guy decided to chime in to give me some pointers, I'd see it as pretentious condescension and view it worse than his being a dick.
Why? If I absolutely murder someone during a set and they start mouthing off to me about it, I usually calm them down by talking about what I'm doing and how they can try to counter. I even give them the opportunity to test it out.

I don't get mad when I lose. Many who have played me know that. If I'm getting destroyed like it's nobody's business I find it hilarious haha! I'm sure they hear me cracking up since I have a mic on. Some have gotten on the mic after hearing me laughing and started talking to me. They often comment about how fun the set was and how level headed I was even though they were killing me.

I guess most poeple get pissed when they lose. I just find it hilarious when I fight poeple that are just that damn good at the game. I'm no pushover so it makes it even more impressive!

Normally I’m not too angry over losing. When someone is genuinely better than me I’m totally fine. Dropping combos and other stupid mistakes get me p*ssed off. Or when you have wanna be gang bangers talking like they’re the greatest, also pushes my buttons. Or losing to a scorpion player. Most irritating thing ever, teleport haunts my dreams.

But yea if I play a bunch of matches and we go back and forth I’ll usually start talking and if they seem cool I’ll send a friend request.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
If I was salty after a loss and the guy decided to chime in to give me some pointers, I'd see it as pretentious condescension and view it worse than his being a dick.
Yea I had/sort of have that issue now but that’s because I can’t tell if someone is trying to troll me or not.

I’ve got pretty thick skin and have gotten salt under control especially in tournaments until after a match or at least highly increases the threshold bar (and I try to never let the opponent see or know I’m angry) but my pride is fairly high so it’s still rough taking any loss at first for me. Though it does motivate me to learn and counter what I lost to so that I don’t have to deal with whatever I lost to again.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
When I was a lad, my older brother taught me how to lose because I was his punching bag, so now Im already ahead in some ways...but I kinda miss it...funny I guess you just get used to it, and you try your best, because its no big fuggin deal at the end of the day!

GIT GUD, HAVE FUN! or find something else that makes you smile! idk losing is easier now imo...helps if winning/money are secondary concerns...

Yea I had/sort of have that issue now but that’s because I can’t tell if someone is trying to troll me or not.
Ya, that's the issue. There's no real context to internet conversations and it can often be difficult to tell if someone is being honest and straightforward for the sake of being nice or is being a douche trying to troll people, so the reaction to what gets said can be completely disconnected from the intent of what the person was saying.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Nobody's ever actually done it to me. I've gotten quite a few GGs and was once surprised to find out that the guy I'd been playing against was currently having sex with my mother (small world, eh?)..

If it ever did happen, though, my reaction would probably be "fuck you, dude". Whether that would line up with the guy's motivations or not, I don't know. I'd just see it as really condescending, though.
With the way this is phrased, it makes it sound like the guy was fucking your mom at the same time that he was facing you. Which, hey, props to him for multi-tasking.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I used to break controllers and punch walls (but only end up hurting my hand in the process). Not accepting loses comes from immaturity, because as children we don't know how to deal with anger and loss so we lash out. Dealing with this stuff needs to be learned and usually, that comes with introspection, self-awareness, and thus, maturity.
Man I remember when I used to destroy Gameboys, controllers, walls, etc... I think somewhere on this forum is an archived post from 10 years ago when I snapped my Nintendo DS in half when I was playing UMK3 on there. Lol

Maturity helps set yourself up to accept things and make adjustments, that's for sure. Do I care if I lose? Sometimes, of course but I move on and try to learn from my mistakes. It's the matches that are down-to-the-wire-no-health-both-sides losses that really gut me, and there's been a handful of those for me lately.

Well, my mother clearly has great taste and picks quality lovers. Good on her.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Man I remember when I used to destroy Gameboys, controllers, walls, etc... I think somewhere on this forum is an archived post from 10 years ago when I snapped my Nintendo DS in half when I was playing UMK3 on there. Lol

Maturity helps set yourself up to accept things and make adjustments, that's for sure. Do I care if I lose? Sometimes, of course but I move on and try to learn from my mistakes. It's the matches that are down-to-the-wire-no-health-both-sides losses that really gut me, and there's been a handful of those for me lately.
Definitely, I always ask myself "what could I have done to have won that match? What is missing in my gameplan?" And most of it comes down to freaking out and doing something unsafe because reasons.

I was a salty boi 10 years ago but i changed it after some brainstorming. You get nothing by being a bitch except looking like an idiot...and whenever i become mad my nose starts itching, a sign to calm down lol. I am mostly mad at myself when i don't apply the things i have learned or when i drop inputs. It is not the other player's fault. Sure you have the scorpion teleport scrubs but even then, there are ways around it, it is just boring. And good players are good for a reason and are the only way to improve, it is a fighting game after all. If ppl cannot handle it then they should play minecraft or their holy 3rd person, over the shoulder, cinematic, ps4 exclusive copy & paste exclusives