What's new

How the next DBZ game should be made...

E

Eldriken

Burst limit sucked the story stopped after cell saga, anyway budokai 3 and budokai tenkaichi 3 are my favs the latter mostly because of the huge roster I wish they would bring that back. I haven't really enjoyed a dbz game since raging blast 2 which imo BT3 was better. I think king's idea could be cool but it sounds more like an mmorpg tho, I want that true fighting game style back.
The "huge" rosters in the Tenkaichi games are often inflated because different levels of Super Saiyan are considered a character on their own. So, for example: Goku (regular, can use Kaioken), Super Saiyan 1, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3 and Super Saiyan 4 are ALL counted as separate characters.

That was what I really didn't like about the games. They were trying to sell the game based off of its roster and it was a little insane, considering a fair portion of the roster weren't individual characters, but just different forms of a character separated.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Guys, guys...speaking of DBZ games.

Have any of you ever played the DBZ RPG on the SNES that was only released in Japan? Man, that game is hard as fuck. But what's cool is, instead of leveling up like you normally do in RPGs, your power level goes up and it functions like it does in the anime; their PL > your PL = you're gonna lose.

I played it a long, long time ago back when ROMs and emulators were the craze. I only got anywhere in it because some folks made walkthroughs for it and had basic translation patches and such. It's definitely worth checking out if you're interested.
speaking of emulators i want a good one for ps1 .-.

The "huge" rosters in the Tenkaichi games are often inflated because different levels of Super Saiyan are considered a character on their own. So, for example: Goku (regular, can use Kaioken), Super Saiyan 1, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3 and Super Saiyan 4 are ALL counted as separate characters.

That was what I really didn't like about the games. They were trying to sell the game based off of its roster and it was a little insane, considering a fair portion of the roster weren't individual characters, but just different forms of a character separated.
Yeah but those were for scrubs who didn't wanna transform mid match like a true OG. I just really liked how you could play as less popular characters and how they had characters from all dragon ball, z, and gt (even though gt sucks ass).

E

Eldriken

Yeah but those were for scrubs who didn't wanna transform mid match like a true OG. I just really liked how you could play as less popular characters and how they had characters from all dragon ball, z, and gt (even though gt sucks ass).
Yeah, that I don't have an issue with. There was plenty of variety in the roster, that's for sure. Until you got to what I mentioned above. The unique characters and shit were nice to have.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Yeah, that I don't have an issue with. There was plenty of variety in the roster, that's for sure. Until you got to what I mentioned above. The unique characters and shit were nice to have.
tbh, i liked the fact that u could a character in a permanently transformed state, i always hated that about the older dbz games where you could only be SS or final form cell or frieza for a short period of time and then if u got hit you'd revert.

Poshib

The Artman
thats the problem though....creating an in depth fighting system while still feeling like DBZ instead of some other game that just happens to have db characters in it.

thats my problem with the pre-tenkaichi budokai games is that they didnt feel much like dragonball. trying capture the feel of DBZ or DBS battles while having an in depth fighting system that won't be considered a joke is a hard thing to do...but its what needs to happen for a DB game to be truly great.
I don't think it would be hard at all. A DBZ game that played like Marvel 3 WOULD capture the feel of DBZ while actually being fun.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
I don't think it would be hard at all. A DBZ game that played like Marvel 3 WOULD capture the feel of DBZ while actually being fun.
i don't think marvel 3 would really capture it. I think the full 3d movement in tenkaichi was in the right direction, they just need to make it better and perfect a fighting system for it.

E

Eldriken

omg A DBZ game playing like Marvel 3? #KREYGASM

GIVE IT TO ME.

E

Eldriken

i don't think marvel 3 would really capture it. I think the full 3d movement in tenkaichi was in the right direction, they just need to make it better and perfect a fighting system for it.
I'd rather have the 2D field than the 3D field for fights. Let us fly around the world when not in combat.

E

Eldriken

i don't know, it just wouldnt feel right to me if you couldnt freely move around the stage like you could in those games.
All I want is Budokai 4 and for it to be done right. After that, they can make all the Tenkaichi style games they want. I'll never ask them for another thing.

It's just...I NEED a game like Budokai 2 and 3 again, dude. They have significant value in my life due to my teenage years, lol. It's just one of those things, y'know?

Dinosaur

Data Collecting
Sounds alot like world of warcraft, which to me is a model that any game universe could adapt and make a great game. I would undoubtedly play the shit out of this game for sure, auction house style bartering systems with huge planets and homes to keep items similar to the banking system in wow. Plus the fighting system open world pvp style would be sick.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
All I want is Budokai 4 and for it to be done right. After that, they can make all the Tenkaichi style games they want. I'll never ask them for another thing.

It's just...I NEED a game like Budokai 2 and 3 again, dude. They have significant value in my life due to my teenage years, lol. It's just one of those things, y'know?
i get it, i played the original 3 budokai, but they just never felt right to me unfortunately. but i get what your saying.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Before they make another DBZ game, they need to get away from Bandai Namco. Bandai just lets any anime-based game they make be a complete crock of shit 95% of the time.

Hand the series over to ArcSys, let them either do a Boz/Xeno-type game or a new console fighter.

haketh

Noob
Before they make another DBZ game, they need to get away from Bandai Namco. Bandai just lets any anime-based game they make be a complete crock of shit 95% of the time.

Hand the series over to ArcSys, let them either do a Boz/Xeno-type game or a new console fighter.
They really haven't in recent years, especially with how popular Gundam EXVS has been & same with the new Naruto games. Really hope we get a DBZ game styled after EXVS one of these days.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
They really haven't in recent years, especially with how popular Gundam EXVS has been & same with the new Naruto games. Really hope we get a DBZ game styled after EXVS one of these days.
From what I understand, the UNS series was pretty bad until 4. I heard good things about Gundam, though. But the DBZ games...

CAM THE SAGE

THERE IS FEAR IN YOUR HEART

I agree I think Budokai 2 was my favorite DBZ game ever. Using Cell doing Goku spirit bomb for the finish or Vegetal Big Bang Attack