What's new

How many characters do you use?

NHDR

Noob
Only Kano (CT, Cyber) and Kotal (WG). MK doesn't come as naturally to me as, say, Street Fighter - I'm not good enough to use too many characters. Kano and Kotal are both fairly simply to pick up.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I use three, but it starts to get tough after two. I started with Brawler, then picked up Ravenous after toying around with Kitana. I just couldn't get over how cool Mileena turned out in this version of the game so I wanted her to be my #2. She took a lot of work before I got comfortable with her, but I got there.

After awhile I thought a 3rd for funsies was in order. People were starting to think Kenshi was looking better in early XL, so I thought I would look into him even though I'm stranded on PC. That was fun for awhile, but then I started using D'Vorah SQ just to try and understand her and ended up with an unexpected character crush. I spent a lot of time trying to get the bug cancels down, with some uneven success. I use her a good deal of the time now, bumping Mileena down to #3 and Kenshi out wandering about somewhere in the land of abandoned characters.

I find it really hard to feel like 3 is as practical to keep up on as 2. Once you learn a character you always kind of do know them, but it's not the same as using them regularly, and I'm pretty sure 3 is my max for keeping comfortable.

I don't ever use multiple variations. I'm glad they are there for me to choose from, but I prefer to have totally different characters in my roster as opposed to using versions of the same character. I need the variety, and I think I would get too easily confused as to what I can and can't do when shifting variations.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
I use mainly ninjutsu which is the one I'm completely comfortable using, sometimes I'll keep a pocket Kano for certain MU's tho I still need to work on Kano for a bit and working on Takeda

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
all variations of Mileena, but Piercing is the main.

i can play Tempest Lao, Stunt Double Cage, and Wrestler Jax, but i'm not too hot with them and can't rely on them as a backup for my Mileena.

Espio

Kokomo
I only play Goro and Kitana, primarily Assassin and Dragon Fangs. I do use Tigrar Fury and Royal Storm for fun though.

Two characters is more than enough for me since I get my zoning, footsies, pressure and mix up fix. After two it's just mediocre tier play lol.

Last edited:
I have 2 "mains".... though the entire idea of pocket characters is "different" in this game. Plus I have 3 "just for fun" that I play a lot but do not take to serious KOTH or Matches. It should be noted that while I enjoy a win like everyone i pick characters just on how cool I think they are.

Mains

Kotal Khan - (SunGod / Blood God / War God).... Sun God was the very first variations I played, and I still love it, and like many Kotal players the variations syustem is a total win as they are all viable and cover matchups. Though I prefer Sun God to all others.

D'Vorah - (Venomous) This is my other main character. I think along with Kotal she is one of the best characters in the game, not on a frame data wise (but that is good), as I literally hardly look at that until I start getting into it, but love her design and think Venomous is criminally over looked by the top D'Vorah players. IMO it is her bets variation, those damage stacks are legit as fuck.

Just for fun

Leatherface - (Butcher) - This is one of the most fun characters in the game imo. Butcher with the hammer and the mixups is fricks awesome and in fact deadly as hell. It boggles my mind why I have not seen anyone really running it in competition. It is seriously legit good, looks awesome and has one of the best brutalities in the game period. Luv it!

Bo' Rai Cho - (Dragon breath / Drunken Master) - This could end up as a main. There is massive dirt in this character and he is way higher tier than you wouyld think by looking at the pros. Unfortunately for me he is also probably one of the most complex characters in the game and I'm, just not that great with him. I tend to steam-roll rofl-STOMP or screw up and get baddy punished.

Cassie (Brawler) - This is among my fav characters in the game and imo brawler is a legit choice. It might not be the best objectively, but it is for sure the coolest!

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
I really dont have alot of time to spare recently but i seem to have summoner quan, (all 3 variations) kotal, tempest lao and DM bo rai cho down and can play them with out any practice. Before xl i was playing raiden, tremor, and cassie but dropped them completely

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
Ill probably pick up SD jc but only because im not comfortable with run cancels online otherwise id be on that a-list bandwagon

Id also lile to mention im somewhat of a tier whore lol

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
In MK9 I played every character. I tried to do that in this have, but...
I'm just not good enough yet to pick of 50 billion characters for counter picking yet so it's been a slow grind.
Yeah, exactly that. Plus trying to learn everyone spreads me so thin, I started losing all the time and not enjoying myself. So now, I play Ferra/Torr (Vicious is my main) and Kotal Kahn. I can still play Sub and Kano (CT and Commando) well, but that's it.

To learn characters, I would lab up for a few hours then play each variation against the computer until I got 50 wins. But hell, I only get to play a few hours a week now. So I play two characters very well and two more well.

Roz

"You will not be remembered."
I main liu kang but for certain MUs i play Sektor, Hellfire, Swarm Queen, Cutt throat, Kenjutsu and Balanced, and A List.

HanSolo

Noob
There's only one variation of one character that I feel I understand pretty well and that is boneshaper shinnok, which most people can pick up and figure out in a day. Idk this is my first fighting game and it's just been a huge learning curve for me.

I also enjoy royal storm kitana and mm erron.

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
Tanya is the reason that I still play the game, however I like Bo' Rai Cho as well. Before Tanya's release I was used to play Liu Kang.

Matix218

Get over here!
Hi peeps, just wondering how many characters do you guys use in mkxl? As in not like once in a while to try out but how many characters have you guys invested time into? Like do you have more than one main? Or a main and how many other characters are you good with? Also how much time do you guys generally play/practice a day or week?
Competitively I really only play one character which is Scorpion (hellfire and ninjutsu). I also play GM sub zero and Smoke and occasionally mess with Cryomancer and Cybernetic Kano but if I am trying to play a serious competitive match its Scorp all the way.

Sun God kk hqt pred gm subzero alien acidic wrestler jax unstoppable Jason very little smoke and that's it I like to play a certain person until there gameplay gets boring then I rotate I makes the game more fresh I wanna learn them eventually next on my list is Jacqui shotgun or hi tech and reptile nimble or the one that's turns invisible looks cool af

My mains are Kitana (Assassin and Royal Storm) and Mileena (Piercing). I wish i could learn more characters, but i always get bodied online if i try to step out of my girls.

Wish i could learn Kotal Kahn (War God and Blood God) and Shinnok (Impostor and Boneshaper). I'm also learning Ravenous Mileena.

My mains are Kitana (Assassin and Royal Storm) and Mileena (Piercing). I wish i could learn more characters, but i always get bodied online if i try to step out of my girls.

Wish i could learn Kotal Kahn (War God and Blood God) and Shinnok (Impostor and Boneshaper). I'm also learning Ravenous Mileena.
Interestingly, I've also been toying with the idea of Kotal, but for me I want Blood and Sun God. So we play similar characters overall.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Main- D'vorah(All)
Co Main-Kitana(All)
Pocket-Sub Zero(Grandmaster),Raiden(Displacer),Mileena(All),Alien(Konjurer),Sonya(Special Forces),Leatherface(Pretty Lady)