What's new

Question How is Nightwing bad in the current meta?

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
z...o...n...e...r

This thread might have already discussed this. NW loses to people who can zone him well.
I want more details and you are the right person to ask. Is staff stance ground pound not used to interrupt zoning? And surely once you get in on him you out footsie him? Or are you saying that perfect cyborg zoning cannot be interrupted at all? I am trying to level up my cyborg, so was curious.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I want more details and you are the right person to ask. Is staff stance ground pound not used to interrupt zoning? And surely once you get in on him you out footsie him? Or are you saying that perfect cyborg zoning cannot be interrupted at all? I am trying to level up my cyborg, so was curious.
iafb beats all his options. they are so much faster than the start up on gp or gs. if they are not low enough he may get a hit in and knock you down...but the game is literally a chase game from corner to corner with grapple. Cyborgs mobility allows him to get away during footsies and dish damage while doing it. if nw gets on you just pushblock and continue zoning or grapple away. Cyborgs b3 is also very good in the footsie game and can catch approaching persons off guard...and on block it gives you options.

Pretty much what everyone said in here already. Poor mobility, it's not bad in escrima but isn't great, shit mobility in staff , you will get shit thrown at you all day. Struggles with zoning, lack of high low mixups, I still see people block low while i'm in escrima. And you guys still complain about his plus frames? Like what? 112 is a high which can be ducked and backdashed. D1? Give me a fucking break. MB Staff spin, we have to spend meter and you could pushblock. Nothing seriously overpowering with his frames unless your an idiot. And if you fight a character with any sort of air control you could pretty much just forget about winning. I'm pretty tired of seeing these threads (why is Nightwing so bad? You guys just suck threads) or you guys aren't exploring NW enough bullshit. Please play this character and let me know how it works out for you.
In case 1 you are complaining NW faces disadvantage MU versus GL, Sinestro, Zod & Hawkgirl and say nothing about NW being able to fight the top 4 listed better than most of the cast. In case 2 we have most of the cast complaining about the top 4 and do not complain about GL, Sinestro, Zod and Hawkgirl.

Which case is worst? Perhaps since it took about a year for the top 4 to start rocking the boat NW players are just caught up in the grass is greener syndrome.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
At match start NW j3 beats trait 3. This is huge and changes match start easily in many ways I won't list right now.

Staff range is equivalent to trainer Martian IMO. Zoning can be controlled by gp and jumps by flying Grayson. Teleport gets neutralized by fg too and when it whiffs he gets a free 2 b3 combo. MMH is forced to regular tele for tracking which is super unsafe.

The meta evolves around that. MMH does better rushing NW down but with d1 in staff Martian has to use f2 which can be risky. Very fun MU IMO.
I love you.

Why are you never at the Friday things in Atl?

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
I love NightWing.. Dont use him, but I think he's a very strong character in some mu's...

The one thing I hate and I bring it up a lot is that NW can get "cheesed-out" really bad with Interactables in some mu's which makes me sad watching that :(

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
this is just me but tbh NW fights all characters in the game pretty well and has all the tools. It's the player that helps alot. I am NOT saying he will or is gonna win free. I'm saying he can beat anyone if played correctly but it will be a struggle. :( just wish my escrima D1 wasn't 9 frames lol

macro

Eezeepeezee
He has problems with zoning. His hurtbox is huge so even in escrima it's hard to get around some zoning and interactables. Plus his dash is kinda ass. It's recovery is slow. Since none of the characters listed really zone TOO hard, he does fine in those matchups.

Defintely not bad. Just frustrating to play in those mu's where he gets zoned out.
His dash isn't that bad it's his jump that kills me You also said the same thing with bane about zoning.
But i would say his main problem is his whiffing normals.
Btw slips what are you doing about playing injustice right now or are you not playing?

macro

Eezeepeezee
this is just me but tbh NW fights all characters in the game pretty well and has all the tools. It's the player that helps alot. I am NOT saying he will or is gonna win free. I'm saying he can beat anyone if played correctly but it will be a struggle. :( just wish my escrima D1 wasn't 9 frames lol
What's life without a struggle. lol

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
NW mobility isn't bad when he is being offensive. escrima forward and back dash are reasonable and effective. But his walk speed and jump are problems. In Staff flying grayson is good to move around if your smart. B1 helps when walking or fg isn't safe. nw in staff controls the air better than most beleive it or not.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Good I'm glad someone finally told me this...lol

Numbers are just opinions. Who do you main? Play against orochi as NW and tell me that can't be considered worse than 4-6
i main GL and its 6-4, orochi destroying you doesnt mean the matchup is worse than that
if you wanna say numbers are just opinions then GL has a slight advantage in the matchup but its definitely winnable for NW

JDM

Noob
i main GL and its 6-4, orochi destroying you doesnt mean the matchup is worse than that
if you wanna say numbers are just opinions then GL has a slight advantage in the matchup but its definitely winnable for NW
It's a hard matchup if you play it correctly. IMO it's more leaning towards 7-3 GL but you really need to know the MU. Nightwing has a lot of gimmicks that are not safe and can be poked out of. I doubt you know how to play the MU and you're spouting numbers off like you do.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Nightwing isn't as bad as we make him out to be, but not as good as everyone else thinks he is. Other people see his plus frames, air control, brilliant zoning (MU dependent) and amazing mixups. Nightwing mains see a poor jump arc, lack of staff mobility, lack of interactable control, fuzzy-able mixups, and meter-dependent zoning. Nightwing is a character where if you don't know the MU you will lose, even in his 3-7s, because you'll be thinking "WTF is this shit" as you get caught in his frametraps and zoning; whilst if you do know the MU, the Nightwing player will find his even/disadvantage MUs much more difficult. Personally, I think that Nightwing is a solid mid-tier character, but the mindset of the tournament players is "Why would I use him when there are tons of other characters who do what he does better", which is a completely true statement. Why spend money just to go out to a pocket Superman or a pocket Lantern?

>TLTR<

So my answer to your question is Nightwing is neither particularly bad nor good in the current meta. He is an example of a character who is very balanced and could easily be high tier, if not for a few things holding him back.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
The Nightwing + Martian tag team is really solid imo.

MMH bodies NW's bad MUs, NW has advantages over Martian's MUs were you kinda have to try.

NW's a good pocket character

But expect people to compare you to scrubs, calling you things like "Sajam jr." even though you're actually good at the game and never duck anybody.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
The Nightwing + Martian tag team is really solid imo.

MMH bodies NW's bad MUs, NW has advantages over Martian's MUs were you kinda have to try.

NW's a good pocket character

But expect people to compare you to scrubs, calling you things like "Sajam jr." even though you're actually good at the game and never duck anybody.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Anyone care to elaborate on the stupidity that is his staff spin? It does good chip, builds meter, regular is -6 on block so you get away with it for free, mb gives enough advantage to use his MID hitting standing 1 into ANOTHER staff spin, it advances forward, the hitbox goes behind him so you can't cross him up. It's ridiculous.

Edit: It's also not clashable.

Last edited: