What's new

Question How is Nightwing bad in the current meta?

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
One could argue Nightwing's average MU against characters outside of the 4 listed above is about as frustrating as everyone else's MU vs these same 4 characters.

Interesting note: Characters taking names are the 4 listed above.
Which is fine, and makes NW sound like a great choice but you really have to know NW and these MUs at a high level to do well. So NW could be a great pocket character for these particular MUs but unless you know them better than your opponent it probably won't work out against really strong opponents.

Besides, other combinations of characters might be more useful than a character paired with NW overall. Having at least 2 characters to cover all your MUs is the most optimal way to play injustice IMO.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
So, I've been wondering. Why does Nightwing go even with MMH?

I'd like to know.

What does he do vs Orbs, trait 3, OH teleport, etc. I'm actually asking because I have never seen this MU played. Ever.
At match start NW j3 beats trait 3. This is huge and changes match start easily in many ways I won't list right now.

Staff range is equivalent to trainer Martian IMO. Zoning can be controlled by gp and jumps by flying Grayson. Teleport gets neutralized by fg too and when it whiffs he gets a free 2 b3 combo. MMH is forced to regular tele for tracking which is super unsafe.

The meta evolves around that. MMH does better rushing NW down but with d1 in staff Martian has to use f2 which can be risky. Very fun MU IMO.

Which is fine, and makes NW sound like a great choice but you really have to know NW and these MUs at a high level to do well. So NW could be a great pocket character for these particular MUs but unless you know them better than your opponent it probably won't work out against really strong opponents.

Besides, other combinations of characters might be more useful than a character paired with NW overall. Having at least 2 characters to cover all your MUs is the most optimal way to play injustice IMO.
Considering Nightwing handles the 4 listed and 5-5's quite a lot of other MU's it shouldn't be too hard to find a suitable secondary. I believe it is harder to find a character that handles these 4 as well as he does. Looks like other mains may be looking to NW for assistance rather than the other way around. It's quite possible NW is in a position where he gets to pick his alt character rather than these other characters being forced to pick up NW in the event they cannot handle these 4 listed.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Top most complained about chars Q1 & Q2 2014.
  • MMH
  • Bane
  • Flash
  • Aquaman
Nightwing fights these characters rather well, wouldn't you say?

I ask you then, how is Nightwing bad?
@Slips said it best...they don't zone. If I ran into only those characters I could do well (still mostly 5-5 though) but it's pretty easy to have a pocket zoning superman or GL to give him issues.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Considering Nightwing handles the 4 listed and 5-5's quite a lot of other MU's it shouldn't be too hard to find a suitable secondary. I believe it is harder to find a character that handles these 4 as well as he does. Looks like other mains may be looking to NW for assistance rather than the other way around. It's quite possible NW is in a position where he gets to pick his alt character rather than these other characters being forced to pick up NW in the event they cannot handle these 4 listed.
I can agree with this. My secondary is scorpion. Bat girl would be better but I like swag so...

@Slips said it best...they don't zone. If I ran into only those characters I could do well (still mostly 5-5 though) but it's pretty easy to have a pocket zoning superman or GL to give him issues.
Nothing wrong with a 4-6.

My main argument is that some characters 5-5 the cast and 4-6 these top 4. While Nightwing may 4-6 some of the cast, he def 5-5's these 4. Thus my conclusion is Nightwing can't be that bad considering these 4 listed are more of a problem in tournament than say your average Green Lantern or Sinestro. GL's and Sinestro run into their own share of 4-6's that are just as bad as the NW MU is when facing them.

Jeremy KO

*insert kotal kahn gibberish here*
The problem with Nightwing is not so much that he loses or wins certain matchups or whatever. The problem is that he has to struggle against the game's mechanics. Pushblock, Interactables, and the size of stages are a detriment to Nightwing's supposed gameplan. He's a great character that's well designed and a ton of fun to play with, but I don't think he was designed for the right game.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Nothing wrong with a 4-6.

My main argument is that some characters 5-5 the cast and 4-6 these top 4. While Nightwing may 4-6 some of the cast, he def 5-5's these 4. Thus my conclusion is Nightwing can't be that bad considering these 4 listed are more of a problem in tournament than say your average Green Lantern or Sinestro. GL's and Sinestro run into their own share of 4-6's that are just as bad as the NW MU is when facing them.
Whether it's a 4-6 or 3-7 or a 2-8 is totally unknown. Sinestro wrecks him bad. I never thought so till cowboy came to my house and beat me 30-1.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
At match start NW j3 beats trait 3. This is huge and changes match start easily in many ways I won't list right now.

Staff range is equivalent to trainer Martian IMO. Zoning can be controlled by gp and jumps by flying Grayson. Teleport gets neutralized by fg too and when it whiffs he gets a free 2 b3 combo. MMH is forced to regular tele for tracking which is super unsafe.

The meta evolves around that. MMH does better rushing NW down but with d1 in staff Martian has to use f2 which can be risky. Very fun MU IMO.
I agree w everything except j3 beating trait 3. It forces a trade at the start of the match if frames are perfect. regardless martian cant always open up w it. Also if they are waiting for j3 it can be empty canceled into wingdings (which is punishable but so is the j3)

I think NW vs. Bane, Flash, Aquaman, and MMH is all 5-5 w Bane being possible NW favor.

NW has to work HARD. Very fucking hard to get a clean hit. Most Escrima combos will get you low 30%s into a only "decent" Oki game that can usually be backdashed or easily punished with a wake up. If someone is knowledgable about NW and all of his shit, hits don't come often and you have to play a STRONG neutral in order to score that hit.

All in all he's a decent character who shines at fighting well against the big boys of the game. Most people figure he's way better than he is because they can't block flip kick, or dont know how to respect frames. But yeah... He's decent.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Sounds like NW/Raven duo is a match made in heaven.
NW/MMH IMO.

All the big bodied armored character and flash are somewhat scary for MMH and NW deal with them fine. MMH does well against the zoners who give NW trouble.

Pretty much what everyone said in here already. Poor mobility, it's not bad in escrima but isn't great, shit mobility in staff , you will get shit thrown at you all day. Struggles with zoning, lack of high low mixups, I still see people block low while i'm in escrima. And you guys still complain about his plus frames? Like what? 112 is a high which can be ducked and backdashed. D1? Give me a fucking break. MB Staff spin, we have to spend meter and you could pushblock. Nothing seriously overpowering with his frames unless your an idiot. And if you fight a character with any sort of air control you could pretty much just forget about winning. I'm pretty tired of seeing these threads (why is Nightwing so bad? You guys just suck threads) or you guys aren't exploring NW enough bullshit. Please play this character and let me know how it works out for you.