What's new

Question - Outlaw How good is Erron Black still?

dwz_mk9

I could do this all day...
Well, I am fairly new to this site but not to MK, so please forgive me if I don't do this correctly. I got MKX about mid May and my character of choice is obviously Erron Black. I have seen Sonic Fox play with him and he is the best with this character and the main reason why I started using him. Now I've seen Erron Black get nerfed with his command grab now being -2 on hit, you can't cancel D3 into it anymore, and since then people have found holes in his game. Especially his F1, 3 string being not so safe even with ex sand grenade. So as the title asks, how good is this character still and has he been unfairly nerfed? Where would you place him on a tier list? Is he a great character or does Sonic Fox make the character great?

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
He's still a very good character. To me he's just outside the Top 10, because of the nerfs you mentioned MUs where you could argue he dominated now he goes even which consecuently makes him drop positions in the tiers.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
At least for now, still a top character, and will proabably continue to rise a bit as other top-tier characters are further toned down.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Oki and damage took a big hit from launch but they're both still very good. Still has strong mixups and safety, I think he's top 10 and I think marksman has a chance to be great when the meta develops more.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Well, I am fairly new to this site but not to MK, so please forgive me if I don't do this correctly. I got MKX about mid May and my character of choice is obviously Erron Black. I have seen Sonic Fox play with him and he is the best with this character and the main reason why I started using him. Now I've seen Erron Black get nerfed with his command grab now being -2 on hit, you can't cancel D3 into it anymore, and since then people have found holes in his game. Especially his F1, 3 string being not so safe even with ex sand grenade. So as the title asks, how good is this character still and has he been unfairly nerfed? Where would you place him on a tier list? Is he a great character or does Sonic Fox make the character great?
Now, I don't play EB - but I watch a TON of MK, so I've seen what works and what doesn't for him.

Spacing is really important to Erron Black's game. You especially need to know the matchups and space accordingly.

For most matchups, you want to be real close - but not for all of them. For instance, you want to start your offense against Kung Lao a step back or you will get consistently out-prioritized. So, you give up the dust a little in order to stay a little safer.

Know the matchups!!!

Still in top 10 for sure. But it's really Sonicfox that plays him so masterfully. I can say that with any character though coz Fox is really good with them all.

ando1184

Noob
He still has all of his tic throws on block so the nerf to d3 was a legit fix. He's still top because his 21122 is still in tact and that string is great for his game combined with his other tools.

NoobSaibot

PSN: JP_THUNDA
This character embodies everything I find wrong with MKX. He is ridiculously good and I can safely say that he is in the top 5. He is a better grappler than grappling characters and has better rushdown than rush down characters. Ridiculous meterless damage, best tick throw options in the game (forget about trying to defend against it online). One of the best nj punches in the game. He may not be that bad to top players but from the viewpoint of someone who's played everyday at an above average level against a pretty good Erron Black he is incredibly good and completely outshines both of my mains (Cutthroat/Cyber Kano and Unstoppable/Relentless Jason) in almost every aspect. So yeah he's pretty good.

Glass Sword

Nobody
He has flaws now. If you have to fight him on the ground he is still super strong. However, if you have a character that can take to the air like Kung Lao then his lack of a strong anti-air game starts to hurt him. In Kung Lao's case the matchup is hard since Kung Lao can advance on Erron at will from the air while Erron can't jump at all.
Also he suffers vs instant airs so with her new buffs Kitana is a problem for him. This is because his slide goes under the character then he gets punished for using it while in recovery. Kitana in particular can easily harass Erron with her normals when he gets too close realitively safely.

Just outta top 10? I don't think so! This character is damn good! His options closing out kombos are great. Not even good. He can Kal trap, tackle, stab you or slide. At least two of those lead to immediate pressure. And that natural jump is insane. Now a days I'd rather fight a great Kung jin than erron black all day!

I think he is still very good but he is definitely worse than he was before due to the nerfs. Not that it makes him totally awful to use but I don't think he is bad by any means. Still have fun using him.