What's new

Question - Dragons Fire How good is DF Liu Kang really is?

Correct me if I'm wrong but what makes DF Liu Kang drifferent from KJ Tanya? Both have great pressure, no mix-ups, he has a better projectile, she has her teleport which BTW is not THAT good anymore, she has an unsafe armored launcher, he has a safe armored move that doesn't launch, aren't their defensive options the same also?

And she is labeled as top 3/5
Her TP may not be as good anymore but considering it was perfect before that isn't saying much. You can just instant air teleport and you are right in your opponents face safely. Mobility in this game is a huge deal and she beats everyone in that department and that is the main reason she is so good when paired with the rest of her arsenal such as her pressure. I'm not sure what her pokes are like as I don't have that information in front of me but Liu's are underwhelming. Liu struggles to get out of pressure situations as all of his wake up options can be neutral jumped and at least two can simply be low profiled.

Not to mention, his execution is miles beyond hers, and possibly the rest of the cast

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Her TP may not be as good anymore but considering it was perfect before that isn't saying much. You can just instant air teleport and you are right in your opponents face safely. Mobility in this game is a huge deal and she beats everyone in that department and that is the main reason she is so good when paired with the rest of her arsenal such as her pressure. I'm not sure what her pokes are like as I don't have that information in front of me but Liu's are underwhelming. Liu struggles to get out of pressure situations as all of his wake up options can be neutral jumped and at least two can simply be low profiled.

Not to mention, his execution is miles beyond hers, and possibly the rest of the cast
You can't do that anymore, you can punish her teleport on reaction now and even if you can't do it then her JI on block after teleport is -10 IIRC, while Liu Kang has his flying kick which hits twice, is super fast and it's pseudo-safe, EX version gains armor. And I agree that he takes more skill than her but honestly that shouldn't matter on a tier list, Kabal was the hardest character in MK9 and he was #1 because at the end of the day if you were able to use him at the highest level he was be a beast!
D'vorah is the hardest character in MKX IMO and she is definitely top 5 material.

EDIT: he can also MB his flying kick and be + lol.

You can't do that anymore, you can punish her teleport on reaction now and even if you can't do it then her JI on block after teleport is -10 IIRC, while Liu Kang has his flying kick which hits twice, is super fast and it's pseudo-safe, EX version gains armor. And I agree that he takes more skill than her but honestly that shouldn't matter on a tier list, Kabal was the hardest character in MK9 and he was #1 because at the end of the day if you were able to use him at the highest level he was be a beast!
D'vorah is the hardest character in MKX IMO and she is definitely top 5 material.
Uh. Flying Kick is a safe reversal option if you spend two bars.

D'vorah is the hardest chaacter in MKX IMO and she is definitely top 5 material.
I'm not sure what you mean by "can't do that anymore". I can do her instant air teleports and end up +2 by just pressing 1. But you made a valid point regarding execution. It can only get easier. At full potential you all may have a case but thus far it's just wishful thinking.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Uh. Flying Kick is a safe reversal option if you spend two bars.
He still has that option. It's not like his meteterless or one bar options are super unsafe.
I'm not sure what you mean by "can't do that anymore". I can do her instant air teleports and end up +2 by just pressing 1. But you made a valid point regarding execution. It can only get easier. At full potential you all may have a case but thus far it's just wishful thinking.
Oh I meant that the "get in for free" IA teleport is no longer an option. Yes, it's a good mobility tool but it can be blown up on reaction by any good AA/NJP after the patch.

He still has that option. It's not like his meteterless or one bar options are super unsafe.

Oh I meant that the "get in for free" IA teleport is no longer an option. Yes, it's a good mobility tool but it can be blown up on reaction by any good AA/NJP after the patch.
Ok. It seems pretty damn fast to me when done perfectly, but you probably know better than I as my experience with Tanya is limited. With that said, the 5 mintues I spend in training to make a valid argument have made me kinda' like Tanya lol. So fun.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Ok. It seems pretty damn fast to me when done perfectly, but you probably know better than I as my experience with Tanya is limited.
Yeah, people were always able to NJP her teleport but the thing is that it had invincibility frames pre-patch so it was not worth trying to punish lol.

Yeah, people were always able to NJP her teleport but the thing is that it had invincibility frames pre-patch so it was not worth trying to punish lol.
Anything instant air is fun for me. I've gotten so good at it with Liu than any character with it makes me want to play them. Also, vs Tanya I just instant air fireball for as long as I can lol.

RM_Gamer

Noob
can anyone tell me his bad mus in df? , i havent found any bad ones as of yet.
i think KJ tanya is bad. she use teleport on reaction if liu zones for full zombo. she has two hits of armor so b1 kinda useless. lk can't get out of ex tonfa toss. some characters can get out but lk can't, the move is glitchy.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
can anyone tell me his bad mus in df? , i havent found any bad ones as of yet.
- Predator HQT is a pretty steep one in my experience, although I only had a couple of hours to fully play against one. What do you think of HQT Predator?
- I'm also curious about what we think of the Bone Shaper Shinnok matchup.
- Kung Lao also seems like he has the tools to deal with DF Liu.

I will say though, DF is high execution but damn he's so rewarding when you get him down. He's like Kabal level.

- Predator HQT is a pretty steep one in my experience, although I only had a couple of hours to fully play against one. What do you think of HQT Predator?

I will say though, DF is high execution but damn he's so rewarding when you get him down. He's like Kabal level.
Agreed his the closest to kabals level , both require high excution both are fun and look flashy as fuck to play with : 3

predator cant really do much once liu gets hold of him though to be honest i dont think hes an issue. kung lao and shinnok seem to me to be his hardest i think. me and foxygrampa think kl vs liu is even and im not sure on shinnok yet. but its deffo not in lius favor i dont think either. as for tanya i havent had a big issue but havent played a really good tanya yet to be fair.

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
Honest question. When is a dash cancel not good? All the characters with them seem very good, sorry I know its off topic

I've pretty much mastered DF Liu, doing even the hardest FBRCs you didn't even think were possible, and I'm beginning to realize that he simply stands no chance against top tier characters who have much easier execution, tons of situational combos, wakeups into full combos, and completely unfair option selects that fuck with Liu hard. No chance unless I use the infinite blockstring which I'm honestly too prideful to use. Liu's other variations? FF is too risky and Dualist isn't viable. Defeating a top tier played by a skilled player with DF Liu is a game of luck, not skill.

And yeah, DF Liu may be better than 80% of the cast when played at the highest level, but a high tier character is still not a top tier character. I'm not asking for DF Liu to be buffed at all, he's great variation and character, but if you're trying to dominate the top players in this game, you won't be able to do it with DF Liu.

I just don't want people to waste their time trying to level up with him. Maybe next patch a small buff will push him up, but right now, it's not DF Liu. Find a different character and variation if you want top tier. There are top tiers much easier to execute and have half the headache DF Liu has, see RS Kitana or Temp Lao.

Last edited: