What's new

How do you think casual players will handle the 'clash system'?

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Tell that to Namco.

Tekken is def. not friendly to new players. Nor is it flashy. Yet here they are.... another tekken and another SC
Baek, Eddie, Christie, etc.

On topic of this thread: I can't be bothered to read about 5 essays right now, but let me just say a few things.

1.) If none of the community here bought Injustice, it would only be pennies out of NRS's pocket. Lets be real(again). 3 Million copies of Mk sold and we have the smallest community in the FGC. Where are the other 2.99~ million members? Oh yea, they're casuals.

2.) Ok, say you start getting comboed, the clash system works best when you've taken very minimal damage. Like fuck waiting to break later to "undo" damage. As cool as that sounded at first, the way it works in the game goes against that in every way. Break early, let your opponent blow his 3 meters to beat your 2 you didn't wager. You still take some damage, but probably less than whatever mvc3 bnb you were going to get hit with anyway.

3.) I know someone is going to say I don't make sense. Whatever. If you're low on life, maybe they should make it so you don't die from losing a clash. I don't know, I'm no game designer. Until I am I'm not going to speak like I know how a game should be made. Have a little faith and lets see what happens.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Tell that to Namco.

Tekken is def. not friendly to new players. Nor is it flashy. Yet here they are.... another tekken and another SC
There won't be another SC for a long ass time, SC5 bombed in sales, like really bad.
Tekken exists because of the strong arcade scene in Japan/Korea. It used to sell gangbusters on consoles in the PS1 days because back then 3D fighters were hot shit. Now a days on consoles Tekken doesn't do so hot, though the numbers are a bit inflated because Namco channel stuffs the game so bad, I remember you could buy Tekken 6 for like 10 dollars 2 months after it came out.

That said Namco=/NRS
Namco is respectable fighting game developer, NRS makes casual games that are disguised as fighting games. Though with MK9 they finally played some lip service to the competitive scene, but that doesn't change what they are and have always been.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"

On topic of this thread: I can't be bothered to read about 5 essays right now, but let me just say a few things.

1.) If none of the community here bought Injustice, it would only be pennies out of NRS's pocket. Lets be real(again). 3 Million copies of Mk sold and we have the smallest community in the FGC. Where are the other 2.99~ million members? Oh yea, they're casuals.

2.) Ok, say you start getting comboed, the clash system works best when you've taken very minimal damage. Like fuck waiting to break later to "undo" damage. As cool as that sounded at first, the way it works in the game goes against that in every way. Break early, let your opponent blow his 3 meters to beat your 2 you didn't wager. You still take some damage, but probably less than whatever mvc3 bnb you were going to get hit with anyway.

3.) I know someone is going to say I don't make sense. Whatever. If you're low on life, maybe they should make it so you don't die from losing a clash. I don't know, I'm no game designer. Until I am I'm not going to speak like I know how a game should be made. Have a little faith and lets see what happens.
Thats exactly what I was thinking! You make perfect sense haha. Let's just see how it plays out, and who cares how nrs plans it to be used, what will matter is what we do with it. I dont think nrs planned for most of the stuff we do in mk. After we get our hands on it, it can be tweaked to do what it needs to do. i am not worried yet.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
There won't be another SC for a long ass time, SC5 bombed in sales, like really bad.
Tekken exists because of the strong arcade scene in Japan/Korea. It used to sell gangbusters on consoles in the PS1 days because back then 3D fighters were hot shit. Now a days on consoles Tekken doesn't do so hot, though the numbers are a bit inflated because Namco channel stuffs the game so bad, I remember you could buy Tekken 6 for like 10 dollars 2 months after it came out.

That said Namco=/NRS
Namco is respectable fighting game developer, NRS makes casual games that are disguised as fighting games. Though with MK9 they finally played some lip service to the competitive scene, but that doesn't change what they are and have always been.
All I heard was *beep beep beep* as you backed up that bus.

fact of the matter is you are using a straw man argument.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

every game has "easy" characters.... but if you want to use them to compete... then no... those characaters are far from user friendly.
MK is a user friendly game. You can become very competent and not half bad in a very short amount of time.
In that time... you MIGHT be able to do a KBD properly and use it somewhat in a real match in tekken. The game is far from newbie friendly.

The money thing has nothing to do with the game. Quit using it in arguments. Its not valid for gameplay. straw.... man.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Sounds and looks dumb from everything I've seen. can't say I care what casuals will do with it. probably break anti air combos at the beginning of the round, like usual.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Tell that to Namco.

Tekken is very friendly to new players. Have you ever tried playing with a friend doing random select? You can mash mash mash all day. Hell the first time I played bob I did a 10 hit combo.

Tekken is very hard if you want to get into it, but not if you just want to mash. Although TTT2 does prove you dont have to have awesome single player content to still sell well.

Also SC is very newbie friendly, and is also a total piece of unbalanced trash.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Tekken is very friendly to new players. Have you ever tried playing with a friend doing random select? You can mash mash mash all day. Hell the first time I played bob I did a 10 hit combo.

Tekken is very hard if you want to get into it, but not if you just want to mash. Although TTT2 does prove you dont have to have awesome single player content to still sell well.

Also SC is very newbie friendly, and is also a total piece of unbalanced trash.
only if your a new player playing a new player.

go mash against foxy.... let me know how that goes for you.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
only if your a new player playing a new player.

go mash against foxy.... let me know how that goes for you.
Go play MK against foxy while being a newbie, let me know how that works out for you. See the hole in your argument?

Tekken is flashy and fun for those who ust want to play with their friends casually. Not everyone is going to want to challenge foxy or good players, because most casuals dont take the game that seriously.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
All I heard was *beep beep beep* as you backed up that bus.

fact of the matter is you are using a straw man argument.
The Argument is that Tekken doesn't need flash to sell its games, that is true, because of the very popular Arcade scene in Asia, it doesn't matter what the console games sell, its just icing at that point. And even then It actually is very easy to enjoy that game on a newbie level, and it has LOTS of flash, its full of silly characters and things like character customization to dress up your fighters.

MK and NRS need the flash, and even if they didn't, they would still make games that cater to the casual audience because Ed Boon likes making video games for everyone(except people under 18, or from Aussie.. or Germany... or Asia...).

And again, the Clash mechanic isn't even something that is aimed at casual gamers, most of them won't even understand how the stupid thing works.
The casual hook is the stage interactions and transitions, that and fucking batmans in it, you don't get much more mainstream then batman.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Go play MK against foxy while being a newbie, let me know how that works out for you. See the hole in your argument?

Tekken is flashy and fun for those who ust want to play with their friends casually. Not everyone is going to want to challenge foxy or good players, because most casuals dont take the game that seriously.
Mk is easy PERIOD. Its a 2D fighter.... and one where you only need remember frames and certain attacks.

Clearly I should of just said "tournament player" .... because you'll NEVER win if you mash against one in Tekken. never. not once. Thats my point. You can mash against players who arent' knowledgable and get away with it.... but if you want to play it high level... it won't work. Same with SC... any namco game.
We're both right. Its accessible enough for someone to have fun with it casually.... and they are plenty deep enough to be serious fighters. But i'm assuming we are always going to be talking about Tournament esque fighters.... so no... Tekken is far from noob friendly in that regard.

What is injustice trying to be? I cant' tell. I'm trying to figure it out... but I can't. Its not flashy and gimmicky enough to be a Marvel esque game.... idk. just wait and see i suppose.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
What is injustice trying to be? I cant' tell. I'm trying to figure it out... but I can't. Its not flashy and gimmicky enough to be a Marvel esque game.... idk. just wait and see i suppose.
The problem is that NRS doesn't really have the experience to make a Marvel like game, so there making it "big" in other areas, like stage transitions and ridiculous super moves that leave the fucking orbit. Hell even the first Capcom Marvel game wasn't THAT crazy, it just got more insane with each new installment.

There trying to move as far away from MK as possible with out just straight jumping into the Deep end, I'm sure if Injustice is popular and they make more, the game will evolve as time goes on.

Just like MK9 there trying to make a Tournament worthy competitive game and still cater to there actual audience who throws money at them.
Unfortunately there kinda bad at showing there intentions, all they do is say "those EVO guys". But to be fair, they did the exact same thing with MK9, they kept saying they were going to make a tourney worthy game, but they never showed WHY it would be tourney worthy, they just kept showing casual trailers and we believed them out of blind faith because we were just so happy we were finally get another 2D MK game.

Rathalos STB CharlieMurphy

Injustice will sell simply because it has "From the creators of Mortal Kombat" stamped on it. Throw in Batman and Superman....BAM you sell 1million copies.

It's no point of throwing in 100 fucking gimmicks! WE WANT SEAMLESS GAMEPLAY!

The real argument is will Injustice be picked up in tournaments? My guess as of now is no, but that's just my opinion.

Most players opinions match mine sir, and the other percentage of people don't give a damn. Those are all opinions, which is the point of the thread. However, the fact of the matter is the shit sucks point blank lol. :D Reedoms

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
The money thing has nothing to do with the game. Quit using it in arguments. Its not valid for gameplay. straw.... man.
I wasn't talking about the gameplay. Don't assume I'm arguing with you. Is the title of the thread not how casuals will treat the clash system? Other people throw their two cents in about how casuals won't care, but as long as they are BUYING the game then its a win for NRS. Who are you going to pander to if you're trying to sell something? The <1% of people who are 'hardcore' about it or the other 99.9%?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
we were just so happy we were finally get another 2D MK game.
I think they are banking way to hard on this.

We don't "need" this game. Injustice is not MK.... there is no novelty or nostalgia attached to it.

In any case... I don't think we can really tell how well just casual players will view this game. I do know that every "play test" video has shown that no one who's played it has a lick of business playing a fighting game. That isn't helping their cause either.

insignis

Noob
if you played Injustice you could see that it's not MK.
don't think of Wager isolated. Don't forget that you can turn ANY connected punch into bounce in cost of 2 bars.
So when you play Injustice meter can be used for:
1)super move!(4 bars)
2)enhansed spacial(1 bar)
3)wager(2+ bars)
4)bounce from any punch(2 bars)

also if you win the wager as defender you won't only break the combo but also knock down the opponent(it worked that way on Igromir's tournament)

it gives a lot of opportunities and adds more thinking than just "omg, spam breaker for any combo".

casual player will spam it for sure, competetive player will manage it more wisely.

Reedoms

Noob
I think they are banking way to hard on this.

We don't "need" this game. Injustice is not MK.... there is no novelty or nostalgia attached to it.
There may be no novelty or nostalgia to you but to people who read DC comics this is the first DC game with someone other than Batman in god knows how long. This has been needed for a long time now.

I do know that every "play test" video has shown that no one who's played it has a lick of business playing a fighting game. That isn't helping their cause either.
Same thing happened with MK9 pre-release. All people would do is 1,1,1 or spam special moves.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
There may be no novelty or nostalgia to you but to people who read DC comics this is the first DC game with someone other than Batman in god knows how long. This has been needed for a long time now.
THIS. I wouldn't even be here on the boards if not for this. I've waited most of my LIFE hoping for a DC only fighting game. I was around for X-men Children of the Atom and even earlier stuff and ever since those years I have dreamed of a fighting game made just for DC. This is a major thing for me. Its got me hyping boards, sending feedback letters and scouring the Earth for news and videos to breakdown to know how its doing.

I care about this game a lot, because I've wanted it for a loooooong time. I think the only other thing fighting game and comic fans have wanted even longer is a Marvel vs DC fighting game someday and we all know thats a pipe dream that aint happening. This is pretty much it for me. I want this game to do well, and I'll do whatever it takes to get feedback to the company and hype it up so that its not seen as a bad idea to do games like this for us fans.

I've waited most of my LIFE hoping for a DC only fighting game.
Applies for me for a Marvel fighter :)
If Crapcom ever comes up with a Marvel fighter, that's instantly going to turn into my new main-game and Injustice will have a hard time. If they put Sentry into the game, damn ... Injustice would never ever see me again.

<3 Stan Lee
<3 Sentry
<3 Marvel

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I've actually had so many theoryfighter discussions on only Marvel, only DC and DC vs Marvel rosters in my past I can't even remember them all now. If it matters though I always thought Sentry was perfect for a 2 stage final boss for a Marvel game. First Sentry, then The VOID.

Guys I think deserve a slot in a marvel game that haven't been in one yet.
  • Archangel
  • Blade
  • Black Panther
  • Hope (she would be able to fill a lot of moveset gaps with her power)
  • Sentry
  • Norman Osborn
  • Bullseye
  • Ms Marvel
  • Dare Devil
Guys I think deserve a slot in a DC game that haven't been in on yet.
  • THE RAY
  • Green Arrow
  • Martian Manhunter
  • Doomsday
  • Lobo
  • Power Girl
  • Black Adam
  • Red Hood
  • Red Robin
  • Zatanna
  • Dr Fate
  • Icon
  • Static
  • Steel
  • Starfire
  • Guy Gardner
  • Aquaman
Plus, a whole bunch more. Of course you have to remember I'm just talking about guys who HAVEN'T made it into a fighter before so there are tons more I want.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
clash should be redone and simply only ever occur if to "xrays" clash then to spam press buttons like old school dbz fighting games LOL
just play ultimate tenkaichi, you will hate with all your heart man.
when did DBZ turned so shit?