What's new

How do you think casual players will handle the 'clash system'?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Karried and I were discussing this earlier on Twitter.. what are your concerns about the clash system?

I don't like it. I'm all for being impartial and waiting to give things a thorough testing before I make a decision about them, but man....... I'm not liking it so far. I guess I'll find out when the final game is released and I hope my mind will be changed then. I think it will be confusing to casual players and they'll just spam all their meter at it.... that doesn't make for an immersive experience :\

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I think casuals will largely ignore it, just like every other subsystem in a fighting game ever.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I think they will mash, it'll come out, they won't know what they are doing or why, they'll blow bars, lose most times, and wonder what happened.

Honestly, I fully expect Clash at this point to just plain get tossed. Its not translating to any audience in any manner. Gaming websites doing interviews don't get it, players don't get it, casual players don't get it, and to be honest they can't really describe it in a manner that doesn't sound busted right now since its current version is pretty much just an animation and no real polish. The wager automatically is not in favor of whoever initiates the Clash since they are down a meter before wagering just to initiate it and then the wagers are done blind making it random. The only time to use it is if you are up on meter and willing to dump everything into breaking one combo. Thats not even remotely sensible and I'd rather die with unspent meter and the potential to punish a dropped combo than attempt a Clash in its current state since it seperates you both and you can't even capitolize off of a successful Clash to punish opponents. Guys with poor footsie options in their matchup like Grundy vs Cyborg are guaranteeing their doom by going for Clashes since win or lose they still lose their screen position and start getting zoned afterwards.

I think Clash is either going to be tossed entirely or given extra mechanics that have way bigger bonuses to the player going for it if it sticks around. As is the wager system is too unappealing to sell to any crowd and in the long run I see it as a big hurdle to overcome in getting this game taken seriously.

Casual players wont care, lets be real. Competitive players, as continually and constantly stated, hate it.

No one has yet made a valid debate for it. With that said, its a game company and they probably dont give a shit what its players think. Someone should make a petition and get Ed Boon or someone from NRS to explain it in full detail and/or how it will be used competitively. If they wanted a cinematic feel they should have just allowed the defending player to spend extra meter to knock the shit out of the opposing player during breaker, but then allow the opposing player to spend meter to breaker that hit. Simple solution, plus it would have been way cooler! :D

What?

According to Ed Boon the Clash System was created for the casual players, since with the easy executable stuff like the Supers, the Stage-Transaction and the Clash-System the casuals will be able to see something big and cool (over and over and over and over and over and over again).

While the fighting game-vets will have their stuff like stage-interactions, combos, mix up's and so on.

The casuals will love that nonsense. It reminds me of the DBZ: Budokai supers where you had to guess the button combination of your opponent.

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
I think they should remove it DBZ had a "clash" style system and it was stupid same will most likely be true for Injustice

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Casual players wont care, lets be real. Competitive players, as continually and constantly stated, hate it.

No one has yet made a valid debate for it. With that said, its a game company and they probably dont give a shit what its players think. Someone should make a petition and get Ed Boon or someone from NRS to explain it in full detail and/or how it will be used competitively. If they wanted a cinematic feel they should have just allowed the defending player to spend extra meter to knock the shit out of the opposing player during breaker, but then allow the opposing player to spend meter to breaker that hit. Simple solution, plus it would have been way cooler! :D
lol "competitive" injustice players. other than that i agree with your post.

InFlames

dead
The Clash System fit DBZ perfect, I mean they can fly around and shyit. Injustice... are just people in masks.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
The problem with it... IMO... is that the player breaking (aka the one getting the snot beat out of him) is going to lose the clash like 80% of the time and still take the damage, plus lose the meter. B/c as long as the person winning has 3 bars... the person breaking can never win!

Breakers are supposed to help the player losing turn the match around, not to basically blow meter on the off chance your opponent is a moron and can't do math.

The problem with it... IMO... is that the player breaking (aka the one getting the snot beat out of him) is going to lose the clash like 80% of the time and still take the damage, plus lose the meter. B/c as long as the person winning has 3 bars... the person breaking can never win!

Breakers are supposed to help the player losing turn the match around, not to basically blow meter on the off chance your opponent is a moron and can't do math.
Which is where the mind games come in... why would the offensive person want to blow 3 bars of meter if the opponent knows what you said and they bet 0? The mind game is that the attacker may only use 1 bar thinking the defender won't use any. The defender then chooses to risk 2, and therefore gets a breaker, some damage returned to his attacker, and his attacker has 1 bar less meter. It's not a perfect system, and I still don't much like it... but that's what I think they're going for right now.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
I thought Clash was being edited anyway. But I think more casual players will probably just always save up for the Super anyway

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Which is where the mind games come in... why would the offensive person want to blow 3 bars of meter if the opponent knows what you said and they bet 0? The mind game is that the attacker may only use 1 bar thinking the defender won't use any. The defender then chooses to risk 2, and therefore gets a breaker, some damage returned to his attacker, and his attacker has 1 bar less meter. It's not a perfect system, and I still don't much like it... but that's what I think they're going for right now.
That's the problem... seems too much in the favor of the attacker to me. The attacker is already winning, they don't need an advantage in a breaker.