What's new

How do you guys feel about how specials are enhanced in MK11?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I liked the old way but I'm sure all of us can adapt. But the casual... might be to much to ask of casuals...
Yeah, it would be asking too much from me. I could see it feeling cooler if you didn't have any problems doing it, but I get mixed up all the time as it is.

Hell, I can't even stop pressing the A+B+K button when mean to press the A+B button is SC6. That should not be a problem someone has, but I do.

I LOVE it! Anything that goes in the opposite direction to the rollicking, downhill "casualisation" of the fighting game genre, is unequivocally a good thing.

Let's be honest: Literally, EVERYTHING that has happened to this genre since cira 2000, has served only to water / whittle / dumb-down the learning curve that once sought the mice from the men (...to make games more "a¢¢e$$ible"). It is refreshing to see (presuming the system works: moves don't clash, the inputs are logically selected etc.) that NRS still have an eye for refining the mechanics of their games, and for those who look for depth over ease-of-access.

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised they would go this way: NRS game's have never been considered the "hardcore" representatives of the FG genre -- Capcom and SNK games historically sharing that mantel. In this sense, I'd be far less surprised if the system were change by the time the game drops, and turned into some 'auto enhance' pacifier -- where little-to-zero player / neural input will be required to execute the erstwhile "burn" specials. Time will tell...

Last edited:

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
I kind of like it, just because the amplify commands are tied into what the character is doing--Scorpion's MB spear has him punch his opponent in the face, so you push one of the punch buttons to execute that extension. Baraka's MB chop chop is done by mashing one of the punch buttons, because he's manically just CHOPPING them over and over, hence the command.

So, I like that aspect of it. That said, I would appreciate an option to switch the inputs for MB back to the original input, because some of the MB commands might be annoying.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I'm a bit mixed on it personally. I can live with it even though I don't quite get the point of it. We have always just pressed a single button to meter burn specials but with MK11 it looks like every special has a different way to be enhanced as Ketchup & Mustard stated in one of their recent videos.

I am sure that most of us will get the hang of it in no time after practicing our characters and it will become second nature just as our strings/bnbs do but I still don't know what the point of the change is other than just to have an extra thing for us to have to memorize. Maybe one day the devs will explain why they decided to make this change?

Anyway what are your thoughts? Like? Dislike? Don't care?
I like the old way, but I don’t mind the new way as long as it’s intuitive.

For example, Baraka’s Chop Chop move says to “rapidly press X” to amplify it. And that makes perfect sense, considering the move. Blade Spark: df1, then b1 to amplify. Okay I guess.

Sub-Zero’s Slide... bf3, then L1 (throw) to amplify... makes sense.

However, Raiden, on the other hand... Lightning Bolt: bf1 to perform, then d2 to amplify... that just doesn’t make sense. Lighting Strike: df2, then 1 to amplify. Why?

It is inconsistent across characters. Skarlet and Sonya are like Raiden (using different buttons), Scorpion is a mix, Geras barely seems to have any at all...

So I dunno, it just makes me torn on the whole thing. I mean I’m sure we’ll adapt and learn our moves, but it does seem like an unnecessary input. Especially when it involves a completely different button.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
I LOVE it! Anything that goes in the opposite direction to the rollicking, downhill "casualisation" of the fighting game genre, is unequivocally a good thing.

Let's be honest: Literally, EVERYTHING that has happened to this genre since cira 2000, has served only to water / whittle / dumb-down the learning curve that once sought the mice from the men (...to make games more "a¢¢e$$ible"). It is refreshing to see (presuming the system works: moves don't clash, the inputs are logically selected etc.) that NRS still have an eye for refining the mechanics of their games, and for those who look for depth over easy-of-access.

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised they would go this way: NRS game's have never been considered the "hardcore" representatives of the FG genre -- Capcom and SNK games historically sharing that mantel. In this sense, I'd be far less surprised if the system were change by the time the game drops, and turned into some 'auto enhance' pacifier -- where little-to-zero player / neural input will be required to execute the erstwhile "burn" specials. Time will tell...
Petition to enable liking posts more than once?

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
At first I thought it was weird but then I just looked at it as if it was just part of the combo. If you can remember 3-4 differently strings and timing of those in a combo then enhanced shouldnt be too hard. To me it’s no different then remember a string to extend the damage... If you can pull off and constantly remember a full Cyrax combo this should be nothing lmao.

Last edited:

DDustiNN

R2 for both MB and blocking was a horrible thing in MKX. Some moves were almost impossible to block after attempting without triggering meterburn.

I'm not sure this is the answer to that issue though lol. However if it stays it won't be difficult to adapt to.
Now that’s an interesting take I haven’t considered. I like it.

DDustiNN

At first I thought it was weird but then I just looked at it as if it was just part of the combo. If you can remember 3-4 differently strings and timing of those in a combo then enhanced shouldnt be to hard. To
Me it’s no different then remember a string to extend the damage... If you can pull off a full Cyrax combo this should be nothing lmao.
Man... I was JUST about to post this exact same thought, lol. If they are natural in what the amplification does, it’s basically not much different than a combo string.

With this in mind, I actually do kinda like it more.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I like how it is in MK11. Feels more natural than having to push Block. Instead it's like a target combo which just costs meter.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I think it should at least be tied to the same button if they want to keep this new system. bf1 and then 2 to amplify scorp's chain just seems kind of arbitrary.

For people that like to learn a lot of characters, it just seems like an unnecessary obstacle. 'What's the command to amplify this special again?' should not be a thing.

That's my stance as well. I was trying to find some examples, but you've conveniently done that.

I think they were working on how the move plays out visually, so if the amplify is them using a kick, then they'll use the FK button even though the first move may have been a punch using FP.

As you say, if it makes sense, Baraka's chop chop, Sub's slide - they both work seeing as how the move/amplified move plays out.

So long as there's some consistency and logically it can be figured out without having to constantly refer to a movelist it could be quite good.

EG.
Amplified projectiles are always the special + the same attack button, eg. DF1 then 1 to amplify. At least then you'll know to amplify you just press the same button again. The button will be different for every characters projectile, but at least the attack is the same.

Same for moves that go into a throw/grab attack on amplify, special + throw button.

Stabby moves will be special + attack button repeatedly.

If they want to make some more complex ones, then have the amplify be the direction that's left from the special + the attack. eg. Scorpions dash, if the move is BF3, then the amplify is D3. Uses the same attack button, and you know it must be D because BF are already used. This is assuming no U, seeing as that's being used for wakeups i believe.

I think they have plenty of options to play around with this and turn it into something unique and viable, without making it a convoluted mess or going back to a generic +block. Hopefully we see something come of all the talk.

I don't doubt that it can't or won't work as is - people will get used it. But i'm sure there's a more streamlined way to do it that accomplishes the same that just makes a little more sense.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
It's cool, and personally, I think for playing on stick it's better to have a second input than reaching for R2.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.

For example, Baraka’s Chop Chop move says to “rapidly press X” to amplify it. And that makes perfect sense, considering the move. Blade Spark: df1, then b1 to amplify. Okay I guess.

Sub-Zero’s Slide... bf3, then L1 (throw) to amplify... makes sense.

However, Raiden, on the other hand... Lightning Bolt: bf1 to perform, then d2 to amplify... that just doesn’t make sense. Lighting Strike: df2, then 1 to amplify. Why?

It is inconsistent across characters. Skarlet and Sonya are like Raiden (using different buttons), Scorpion is a mix, Geras barely seems to have any at all...

So I dunno, it just makes me torn on the whole thing. I mean I’m sure we’ll adapt and learn our moves, but it does seem like an unnecessary input. Especially when it involves a completely different button.
Raiden’s makes sense because he switched hands and then gets lower to make the second projectile hit mid.

This is a great change IMO as it makes playing a character feel more engaging, even if it’s only artificial depth.

All the extra commands I’ve seen make sense as logical conclusions to the attacks you’re doing.

SenSx

Noob
I don't like it on paper.
But if the game designers say it feels more intuitive with the way the move look, then maybe.
That's the sort for things you can judge unless you experiment it yourself.

Rearawt

Noob
I like it, it adds a more unique feel to playing each character, and seems to incentivise character loyalty.

The inputs I've seen make sense to me, B2 after scorp's spear to elbow them with your other arm, 1+3 to throw after sub's slide, etc.

I like that it helps me think of combos in terms of moves rather than button presses.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Selfishly I like it because I use a hitbox and arcade stick, and I have never found a good placement for MB/BLK.
So I honestly feel like this would be easier for me then the old way.

But I recognize this is a super weird niche thing and I understand if they change it back.